Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Absolution is great, my other favs are Hitman II and Blood Money. I'll wait for this next one to be fully released to check it out, but Absolution is mega underrated. In general while I dig the ol' sandbox prank kills formula, I hope they're not afraid to venture outside of the box. And I hope we see something like the ninja fortress in Hitman II, aka just some unexpected locations. Not just another classy party to kill at etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

khwarezm posted:

Whenever I see people praise Absolution as underrated or whatever I always feel a bit baffled.

It always amazes me how easily baffled fans can be when somebody likes the thing slightly different than their favorite thing. We're all fans of a kooky series about killing unsuspecting often unarmed people. I find the first one and Contracts not that good, but I'm not baffled when I see others like those.

Moartoast posted:

but jesus christ if most of that game wasn't grossly abhorrent where it wasn't interminably boring.

Reliving the writing alone reminds me that, for as many facets of the games industry and community that are gross as hell now, we were in a much worse spot just 3 or 4 years ago.

This is Hitman. I hope we get more and more abhorrant as we go, though it's always had some crass stuff and whatnot. It's Hitman, a darkly comedic game about killing for money. But it is all personal taste, for me I don't find anything in the game abhorrant, not even the sexy gun nuns or whatever ha, it's a stylized kooky simulator of movie cliches and whatnot.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

John Charity Spring posted:

as in, the entire Hitman game? Yes. It's very good. You should play it if you liked any of the pre-Absolution Hitman games because it's in that vein but expanded upon hugely.

I love Hitman 2 and Blood Money, but Absolution ended up being my fav, underrated as hell. But I can see why people want to focus on refining the sandbox thing more than having Hitman's Big Adventure. In general I'm more interested in seeing a series go to new places, to be honest. Even if that place is just mixing MGS3/4 stealth areas with a few Hitman sandboxes (which was Absolution's formula more or less). Just happened to be a formula that appealed to me quite a bit.

I'll definitely pick up this new one sometime soon though. Maybe after season 2 gets rolling. I'm just saying, I wanna see the Mario 64 of Hitman games. Put his skills and classic tropes in some unexpected new format/setting.

Maybe a nutty question, but how much narrative stuff is there in this one? Even Hitman II's story and badass moments were really memorable. And the last mission in Blood Money for example.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 24, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kuiperdolin posted:

There is no in-mission story in the maps except Colorado, sort of. Oh, and the tutorial.. There is a vague storyline told via cutscenes that involves other people than 47 and has some tangent relationship to the missions and goes nowhere. It's not good, it's not bad, I'd say it's just there except it's not even there either.

Interesting thanks, maybe they're saving some of those trademark badass 47 moments for season 2, or the ending of this game (whenever that happens).

Random note, I liked how in Absolution you could kill with any random object, a plunger, a paperweight, you name it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

gtrmp posted:

ah, yes: now that they've figured out what makes a Hitman game good again, they should bring back the worst parts of the other good games and the most characteristic parts of the bad games

Could hit the skip button if the cutscenes aren't your thing, to be fair. As for levels with a story element, like say I dunno storming a ninja fortress in Hitman 2, I love spicing it up like that. Can't just be several seasons of villas and parties gone wrong. As for bad games, Absolution is the best one to me, but it tis personal taste. I think Contracts was flawed, other than that it's been smooth sailing since 2 for me.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

UrbicaMortis posted:

I think that stuff was fun and I wouldn't mind it in new hitman since the game is best when it's goofy. The stuff that they shouldn't bring back is the trashy low-rent Tarantino-rip off stuff like absolution had.

You just mean nuns with guns I assume? Surely that's more similar to Robert Rodriguez's Machete (which had such gun nunnery)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

UrbicaMortis posted:

Machete was self aware and actually fun which absolution was not. And I call it a Tarantino rip off because it reminded me of all of those films that came out after Tarantino got big that tried to replicate what he did without having the intelligence or skill to do it.

Absolution was quite good, and the best cheesy B-movie kind of narratives have you believing it's unintentional. Like American Ninja or something. I love Tarantino (have a Pulp Fiction poster in here), I just don't see the comparison for a minimalist little narrative like Absolution had, compared to Tarantino's very wordy dialogue driven films. The thing with Diane is by far the most well done story beat in the series for me, just great stuff, actually touched me. Touched a brother's heart.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 25, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Discendo Vox posted:

Absolution is a collection of horrible misogynistic or otherwise bigoted garbage from start to finish. Bondage nuns wasn't even the tip of the iceberg, that's just what everyone remembers because it was in a trailer. My standout moments were the antisemitic stereotype weapons dealer, the supermodel/hag female character binary, and the map structured to encourage players to use the dead corpse of a tortured stripper as a distraction.

If you honestly believe they're bigoted and want to do something, boycotting the new one you like is another thing you could do. Don't buy season 2, or what are you accomplishing here? It's still by the same developer.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 25, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Discendo Vox posted:

At least half the team was let go after Absolution. This included, iirc, two of the three writers.

You sound pretty disgusted by what they made, you're still willing to possibly support some of those people?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Discendo Vox posted:

I can't help but notice you're here, just asking questions, immediately after getting run out of the megaman thread for a similar question-begging derail about depiction of gender in games. Maybe find somewhere else to do it.

In what way was I run out of a Mega Man thread? You're confusing things, I didn't start or engage all that much in that discussion, if anything my post about Splash Woman seemed to be a hit. And here you're the one who brought up the issues, in neither topic did I, so how would I be derailing anything?

Just saying, you seem to be the sort who yells at fans of a thing, because the thing is offensive to you, when I'm guessing you've never contacted the devs, voted with your wallet, etc. Just seems misplaced to me.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

BBJoey posted:

stop posting

Merry Christmas Eve. I engage in some decent postery, I've never made a silly shitpost like you just did. I always at least attempt to share a view in a discussion or make a joke etc.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

BCRock posted:

Except for this post, of course.

When does the next ET start?

Sticking up for yourself is not a shitpost. Drive by "critiquing" of the quality of somebody else's post is just not even attempting to contribute anything.

Can't somebody just say hey I like a game without somebody vehemently complaining about said game years later? And apparently my post is the issue. I'm just here to talk about games, in a positive way if possible. Man the dog-piling is silly.

Not to say you can't vehemently complain about a game years later, but I don't quite get the angle of making GBS threads on my posting. Not that I care to, enjoy your point of view.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 25, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I don't understand the hype behind doom. It's a FPS game that could have been released any time within the past decade and the mechanics and game play are pretty weak compared to almost any other major title this year.

Is it just blind nostalgia or am I missing something by not owning the game and watching friends play it, because it looks pretty boring. Especially when compared to a complex sandbox game like hitman.

There haven't been many or even any games quite like Doom in the past ten years. It brings back run and gun style, and also sorely missed classic level design elements (secrets, not just walking in a straight line, levels complex enough that it includes a map, jumping around, etc). A major breath of fresh air compared to Call of Duty campaigns, or even Halo campaigns, and stuff like FarCry doesn't even attempt this sort of level design. If it's not your thing, it's not your thing, but it's really something special for fans of that sort of thing, who have been waiting years and years for something like DOOM.

It's not blind nostalgia, it's really well done, great combat, great level design, great gameplay flow, great everything really, as far as the SP goes. And SnapMap is a fairly fun editor to play with.

On GOTY awards, for me Final Fantasy XV is the one majorly missing, it's easily in my top 2 or 3 this year.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Also, having 47 kill Diana.

They brought that story home in a really well done way at the end of Absolution. (unless you're saying the video had them with an alternate ending, didn't watch the thingy yet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Blowjob Overtime posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dNXPwB7lsQ

This has been posted in this thread before, but I finally remember to watch it and 1) watching (and enjoying) this video put me on a watch list, and 2) it is amazing both in accomplishment and time spent. The end of the canonical playthrough was almost exactly 11 hours flat.

If the person who made it reloaded at all, the actual time spent would be well over that. Based on the statistics at the end, I'm going to assume this was not 100% clean without reloading. Add on to that the effort to edit 11 hours of video and match it with the song, and this was over a full day of effort.

This is a thing of beauty, glorious!