Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

BillBear posted:

Nah, it's not open world. The levels are just big. Really big and really dense too.

"Streets of Hope" is not a good stage for size comparison. Sure, it was a "big" stage in Hitman Absolution, but it was small compared to a lot of the stages of Blood Money. :raise:

I find the episodic choice and constant changes in "How the game is released"TM somewhat worrying. I think Square-Enix will use it as an excuse to pull development if sales aren't high enough/stay consistent/stay consistently high. The last thing I want is to be left with half a Hitman game.

I will say, what they have shown so far looks very Hitman.

I remain cautious.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Sindai posted:

Wow, the steamspy stats for this are pretty brutal. 153k owners vs Absolution's 2.8m. But the really crazy thing is that about as many people have played Absolution in the past 2 weeks as Hitman 2016.

I guess the super charitable interpretation is that the new game revived interest in Absolution to some extent?

I'm waiting for all the episodes to be released before I buy it cause the "live" events seem pretty lame?

:shrug:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Is there really only one way to destroy the virus in "World of Tomorrow"?

I've been working on "mastery" to get some unlocks, and while there seems to be a variety of ways to get the 2 targets (seriously, so many options), dressing up in a biohazard suit and messing with the terminals seems to be the only way to get rid of the virus.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

There are three other methods:

1. Shoot a stalactite onto it.

2. Shoot the virus from outside the containment area.

For these 2, I take it I need a AP round firing gun? Like the fancier Jager?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

In Hokkaido, how the hell do I get the Head Doctor guy's suit? I can't knock him out in the winter garden, everyone's watching. I can't poison his food, everyone's watching. I can't poison his good AS a chef because the chef nearest the food can see through my disguise.

What's the trick here?

Excited for the new elusive target! Hopefully I'll be able to do this one...more gracefully than the last one*.

* I stabbed the model in the neck with a screwdriver as he left the stage and then RAN. Classy.:geno:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 9, 2017

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Since I don't have a lot of Hokkaido challenges unlocked yet, I started in the guest room.

Slooowwwly made my way through the level, disabling cameras as I went, got into the syringe room using the head surgeon (I never checked, can on the head surgeon and head doctor get in there?), got to the first target....and botched it because I stabbed her with the needle 1 second too late. The door was opening to the waiting room full of guards, they saw the crime and all promptly shot me.

God damnit. :(

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I really should just grind Colorado for the key-card lock pick but uggggrrgghhh.....that mission is so awful.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Several lingering plot threads are left open and will not be resolved because they are all horrible cliched garbage. As I mentioned elsewhere, the game we got was remarkably far less offensive than what was planned.

You've piqued my interest, mostly because Absolution was an absolute mess, how was it going to be potentially more offensive that the final product?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

The game was going to start in Hope (Skurky would be one of the first targets) and wind up about where it still did. 47 was going to be a scarred homeless alcoholic. A roadkill-based chili sauce manufacturing plant level was planned. Oh, right, and Victoria was going to be tortured, raped and murdered sometime shortly after the beginning of the main events of the game, and the actual plot would be tracking down and killing people who hurt her, with gratuitous flashbacks. Basically, it would be

1. 47 goes to Diana's place, betrays Travis and shoots him (which is where the robot hand comes from) and Victoria is taken away by Skurky. Fridging occurs in a process that is unclear.
2. Hope missions. Skurky is the main target. Skurky is meant to be sympathetic because his wife took all his stuff in a divorce. An enormous amount of money was spent on realizing a "fat old country woman" character that was cut from the game.
3. Hope burns at the end. This is so important, we spent a huge amount of money on this. It's a metaphor.
4. Probably the Dexter labs missions, then Sanchez, then New York.
5. The exact order of NY is unclear- SE seems to have quashed most info about this part of the plot, and a lot of stuff got merged/cut. I'm guessing it was roughly Orphanage, Terminus, Strip club, Blackridge tower.
6. I think 47 was going to die at the end while taking down Travis.

Jeeeeesus. :stare:

I'm assuming in the change, that's how we ended up with the weird super linear levels too.

Thank god someone at IOI remembered that the best Hitman games weren't story heavy and we got the Hitman Episodic game we have today. I was seriously sceptical about the episode thing but it worked out really well. Will buy Season 2 pass on release.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Sounds like a 2016ized version of Beddingford Manor, which was one of the best missions in the series. I'd play the gently caress out of it.

Regarding the future of IOI/Hitman: We don't know yet. The rumors are that SquareEnix want to sell off Hitman & IOI as one package, that season 2 is well into development, and SE is basically disappointed that everything doesn't make as much money as Final Fantasy/mobile Skinner boxes/Final Fantasy Mobile Skinner Boxes.

There's been no indication that SE plans to take down the servers, and there's apparently a... considerable? patch coming later this month.

I remain very cautiously optimistic.

I saw on the Hitman subreddit that they're going to change how the game is sold in a few weeks, you'll only be able to buy it as the season package.

Also slipped in at the end of the announcement: "Additionally, these changes will help us to lay the foundations for our future plans for HITMAN.".

So uh, take that as you will. :tinfoil:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I wonder what the "new" progression system is?

I'm hoping for a return to a Blood Money style system where you get "paid" based off of how well you pull off the assassination and then you just buy the rewards you want. Like what we have now, I guess, except not linear. I hate hate hate the linear unlocks.

I really want the electric lockpick/keycard bypass but I hate the idea of replaying Colorado over and over. :(

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

IOI just revealed all locations.

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-2-locations-reveal/

It's pretty much what was shown in the leak, though the North Atlantic one looks kind of ominous. Are we finally getting the Church of Ascendants or is that just Providence (the bird logo doesn't seem to match the bird pendant the agent at the end of 1 and Yuki wear)?

Bit sneaky including the Sniper Assassination level in the list of levels in the game. Its not a real level...*

*Unless it is, surprise? :tinfoil:

Otherwise, a good looking selection of levels, really looking forward to "A new life" v2.0.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

fadam posted:

So what time/day is this available if I have the gucci gold edition? I still don't see a preload on Steam.

Arist posted:

There apparently is not a preload, which sucks. It'll be available at like 1 PM tomorrow.

I'm pre-loading something with my Gucci Gold Ed. on Steam right now, but its only 8.9 GB which seems really really small.

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm glad Squeenix's CEO had his heart in the right place and decided on letting IO go indie to let HITMAN thrive.

Same.

I feel like Hitman as a series is in a really exciting place now. IOI has gotten the formula almost perfect (I do miss earning money and buying upgrades from Blood Money) and could now just pump out DLC episodes comfortably.

I'd be totally cool with [ Sequel with X new levels ] + [Previous game(s) remastered for sequel] + DLC level releases from now on. Heck, its why I went all in on the Gold Edition.

What i'd really love to see is an Assassins-Creed-Multiplayer style multiplayer added at some point. Think The Ship: You have a target you have to id and kill but you also have other players hunting you that you need to ID and avoid as well. I think it'd fit the slower, more methodical Hitman style of gameplay perfectly.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 8, 2018

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

Are the "new maps" you'll eventually get with the DLC (and gold edition) going to be actual new locations? Or the same locations but at night like they did with Marrakesh and Sapienza? I'm not going to be able to play it early so gold edition doesn't seem worth it unless I'm saving on actual DLC.

IOI has confirmed that the season pass DLC stuff will be new locations, yes.

I wish I could find it, but at one point in Hitman 2016 (maybe in Hokkaido?) there's travel magazines that hinted at future locations and I was always curious going back now if Hitman 2 locations were hinted at. I recall Vancouver and Reykjavik were hinted at.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 9, 2018

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Stupid pro-tip for PC users: I was super bummed in the Miami level when my FPS seemed to vary wildly in a noticeable manner as I have a very new PC (i5 8600, 16 GB ram, running off an SSD, GTX 970).

Dialling down the textures from high to medium made zero difference in the graphics quality but now everything is a buttery 60FPS.

I saw some people on the Steam forums making similar performance complaints, so I figured someone would have the same issue here as well.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Little bummed that all the new cinematics are all still based, but I get it because they don't have the Square-Enix budget, and I'll take the perks over thew downsides anyday.

Rirse posted:

I got Hitman 2 Gold from the GMG deal and played the tutorial and the tutorial from the first game, but decided to play the old Paris stage but said I didn't own it. I have the complete season 1 game on Steam through.

Maybe you have to have installed and played Hitman 2016? :shrug:

I have 2016 and played it in its entirety and Legacy all just installed as I was playing the first mission of Hitman 2.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 10, 2018

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

That thread's thisaway, I was responsible for the horrifically detailed effortposts on the why and how of Absolution. I'll use that dubious expertise to answer some questions about it here.

This is a fascinating read.

I still think the Blood Money system of "earn money for quality kills buy better equipment" was the best progression system. I mean...we sort of have it now in that you're earning XP and getting better equipment but I miss being able to pick and choose. The current system is way too linear for my tastes.

King Vidiot posted:

I get the overall picture that a large section of IOI resented being stuck in a rut remaking and refining the same game over and over again with Hitman. Kane & Lynch was their "way out", and it was an action-oriented cover shooter inspired by Michael Mann movies. But it basically flopped after two installments, so their hand was sort of forced to return to Hitman. I imagine Absolution was the way it was because they didn't want to go back to making nothing but Blood Money over and over, so they essentially made another Kane & Lynch game but with Hitman's gameplay elements tacked on. Square stoked the fire by handing them a ton of money to let them go hog wild.

And now they'll be making Hitman [Year XXXX] till the end of time. :haw:

...actually, I'd be totally cool with that (IOI might not, though!). Put out 5 new levels with an engine update and tweaks, backport all the previous years games/sell as DLC to new folks, add 2 more levels with a season pass. Repeat yearly/bi-yearly until the world is sick of Hitman.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

I;m getting some hitching/stuttering issues. Probably the answer is "my computer is junk" but it did play 2016 well enough. Any specific things to fix?

I have a pretty bleeding edge PC (i5 8600, 16GB RAM, the game is on an SSD), only my graphics card is a generation or so behind (970 GTX), and I was getting vicious FPS drops and hitching in Miami. I dialed the textures from high to medium and the game looks just as good and also runs smoothly now.

I think "high" textures is for your :pcgaming: 4K :pcgaming: sort, cause medium looks fine. :shrug:

Question:

I'm under the impression escalations has a whole separate set of unlocks associated with it? Is there anywhere I can see what they are? As I understand it the "best" sniper (2x Zoom, silenced w/bulletime) is unlockable from Marrakesh (Legacy spoiler I guess???) escalation, but I'm really curious if the other ones are worth it.

I also notice that between just completing Miami and about half of Paris's challenges I have a pretty decent selection of items to work with each level (lockpicks, lethal and emeric poison...). They must've changed the unlock selection around, because I remember quitting on 2016 half-way through Bankok's challenges because it was so god-drat repetitive.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

goferchan posted:

you know i'd be happy with any kind of co-op hitman but I think a weird asymmetrical one where one player was 47 and one was Diana would be really cool. targets aren't identified or marked at mission start but the 47 player can gather intel on the ground that lets the diana player use a satellite view/hacked security cameras to identify them. give the diana player some remote hacking capabilities so they can cause distractions/accidents, lock and unlock doors, etc and obviously you'd want to randomize the targets each play through. could be really cool!

Something like Clandestine? Cause that's what you just described.

Though Clandestine has some hardcore euro-jank and is nearly unplayable as a one player game.

I'd play a cleaned up IOI take on the idea.

Or their take on an Assassins Creed Bro/Rev/3/Blackflag murder party style multiplayer.

Heck, they'd both work in the Hitman world.

EDIT:

VVVVVVV That's Assassins Creed multiplayer minus the roof running, my friend. ;) VVVVVVV

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 15, 2018

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Novasol posted:

There's a picture of Knox somewhere on the same floor, in one of the hallways.

i used the magazine cover from the large meeting room on the 2nd floor, so there’s multiple pictures.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder if they're going to add more sniper levels? Just the one feels kind of odd.

Yes!

Each of the DLC's will also add a new sniper level as well.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Did I miss something or is it heavily implied there should be a dog present in Hawkes Bay?

I assume the dog was removed to get rid of any implications of animal cruelty and/or they couldn’t get the AI right.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The Kins posted:

The NPCs talk about it. The dog's run off to murder the local wildlife. That's why the guards are wandering around the beach with flashlights, they're not looking for you... at least, not initially.

Ohhhhh. Cute.

IOI has thought of everything. :)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Nakar posted:

Cheveyo Calibration in Legacy night Marrakesh for the Ghost.

This is a really fun escalation, I did it last night.

There's only 3 levels to it, its challenging and small enough that it doesn't get too frustrating when you screw up and the reward is the best sniper.

Everyone should do it, also you don't really need any other unlocks to do it since to much is tied to not changing disguises.

Dongattack posted:

So how do elusive targets work? I don't think i have ever done one.

You've got 2 weeks.

You can dip into the mission and scout it out and quit and try again as long as you don't trigger open hostilities (or at least you could in Hitman 2016). No saves, its like an escalation. Also, at least in 2016, the target was not marked in red in Hitman-o-vision. You'll needs to discern the target's location based off of the target video (this one's is unusually...um...helpful.).

Once you've killed the target OR triggered hostilities, you've got one shot. After that, you're locked out for good.*

*unless iOi repeats them again, which they did with 2016

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 20, 2018

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Killed Sean Bean.

I coined away all the researchers, then his guards, then the guard at the door and gave him the ol'pen-in-the-eye.

My classiest and most successful elusive target!

The only other one I ever attempted was not-Kruger in Paris and that was largely "oh poo poo, THATs the guy, shoot with silverballer and RUUUUN". Hey, it worked! :v:

I didn't like replaying stuff in 2016, so I never had a huge supply of useful gadgets. I also feel like 2016 was waaay less generous with the easy useful unlocks.

This time around, I feel like I have a good base of gear to work with for the Elusive Targets. Bring em on!

EDIT: Seriously, everyone who has the Legacy pack should do the Marrakesh Escalation for the Seiger Ghost Sniper. I get the feeling that gun is going to be useful and also the Escalation is a lot of fun and short...unlike the other Marrakesh Escalation.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 21, 2018

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

What're the chances that IoI have recorded more dialogue with Bean and he's actually an ET on all the maps?

I'd say highly likely.

Gary Busey was a very popular ET in 2016, and its a shame he didn't come around when they repeated ET's.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

For some reason they gave me the Night and Sand mission but not the escalation that came with it. I'm not going to buy the GOTY pack right now so I just grinded the 20 levels of Hokkaido for the gun.

Hmm, this must be a GOTY Legacy only thing? Yeah, if you have the GOTY legacy, do that escalation.

There's Sieger variants that are almost as good, I'm thinking the Colorado level 15 reward, which looks identical (maybe even better, unf dat wood finish).

homeless snail posted:

You get a special version of the miami suit that you can wear on any map, and then there are special suits for doing a lot of elusives, and more for getting silent assassins. Also for this one in particular you get an explosive pen just for trying it.

It should be noted the suits you're unlocking don't actually unlock or provide any benefit, they just add some personal flair.

I do hope they continue with the "free" reward for trying the Escalation. Towards the end of Hitman 2016 GOTY, I'd get escalation anxiety and avoid them all together. :shobon:

Its nice that Escalations two weeks now and getting a good base set of items is much easier now.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Bakanogami posted:

Notably good stuff you can only get by running legacy content:

Custom 5mm from Hokkaido 5.
Striker from Dexter Discordance (GOTY pack)
Breaching Charge from Sapienza 15. Even nerfed it's still unique in that it's a quiet explosive.
Sieger 300 Ghost from Cheveyo Calibration (GOTY pack)
Explosive phone from Bangkok story missions.
Krugermeier from Bangkok level 20. A pain to get, but some runs you just need the extra quiet pistol.

Stuff you can also get from Hitman 2 content, but you might wanna pick up in Legacy stuff first, or to get both:

Silverballer from Paris mission stories (though it'd be quicker to get the Mark 2 version from Mumbai if you're there)
Lethal Poison from Paris level 15, because being able to carry in 2x poison is nice sometimes.
Remote Audio Distraction from Sapienza level 10 is easier to get than the Mark 2.
Remote Explosive Duck from Marrakesh 10, easier than the Mark 2. Especially if you don't have the Pale Duck.
Disposable Scrambler from Colorado story missions (but you can get the same thing from Sgail level 7)

What constitutes beating, say, “Paris Story missions”? Beating some? All?

Are they the stories highlighted when I beat the map and if so do I just need to do the 3 highlighted?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

I do a weird mix of like... I don't care about my final score at all and yet I still try to do things as quietly as possible because it just feels right. As a series veteran I like to at least pretend to care about being the best hitman I can be.

But after my first "good" run, I like to go back and gently caress around just to test what I can get way with or to do the goofier challenges.

I save scum when I can savescum.

When I have to plan on the fly, like in escalations, whoooo-boy things get messy.

:argh: Marrakesh Escalation where you have to get a shotgun kill. I didn't have a silenced shotgun, so I knocked the guy out and shot the body...whoops people came running and I certainly wasn't going to replay the entire mission up to that point so I guess I have to kill everyone! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

double nine posted:

does anyone know how to unlock the right-hand suit?

Is it the pre-order bonus? It's not on the Elusive target unlocks list. I want to dress up as bald james bond.

Looks like Winter Suit w/ gloves. You get it for having completed 1 elusive target in 2016, so it’s impossible to get now if you didn’t play 2016.