Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So an IO Rep just posted about what the live component elements of the game are going to be. Sounds awesome:

Elusive Targets

The Contracts that are available for a limited-time are what we call Elusive Targets. An Elusive Target is the closest thing to the Hitman fantasy that we've ever created. These targets will be custom-created characters that are added to existing locations and are only there for a limited time in real-time. You'll only have one chance to take them down. If they escape, they are gone for good. If you kill them, that's the way that you killed them. There are no do-overs and no second chances. When an Elusive Target leaves the game world (one way or another) they never return.

Each Elusive Target will have a custom briefing video, a backstory and a unique reason for being in that location. When you're actually playing in the location, the Elusive Target will not appear on the map and will not appear in Instinct. In order to find them, you'll need to use clues from the briefing video and a photograph that you will be able to review. You'll need to explore, find your target, learn their patterns and come up with a plan to eliminate them - all whilst playing. The pressure will be on when you've got the target in your sights. If you miss the shot and chaos breaks loose, you will need to have a plan B, because the save-game is disabled during an Elusive Target. If you kill the wrong person or die when trying to exfiltrate, that's it. Game over, the target escapes.

As the season unfolds, you’ll earn in-game rewards for completing multiple Elusive Target contracts. The rewards are signature suits from previous Hitman games and versions of those suits with gloves. There’s also a version of the signature suit from the new HITMAN with gloves.

We know that Elusive Targets are not going to be easy, they were designed that way.

Escalation Mode

Escalation Mode is something else completely new for HITMAN and was created as a way to regularly provide a fresh challenge to players. You'll need to master the location as well as the gameplay mechanics to complete a hit that will escalate in difficulty by adding new elements. As an example, the first stage could be to eliminate your target with a sabre. Then, the second stage could be to eliminate your target with a sabre whilst dressed as a waiter and removing any security camera recordings within two minutes. We are able to change where the security cameras are and also add additional ‘security’ measures to the locations, such as laser trip-wire explosives that you’ll need to avoid.

Escalation Mode has a strong focus on having fun with the game mechanics and mixing them up – pretty much anything goes in this mode. It’s more about being playful than realistic. For each Escalation Contract, there are five stages and you're free to replay them as you wish to climb the leaderboards. As with Elusive Targets, the save-game functions are disabled.

All Escalation contracts and Elusive Targets are created by IOI and will be released between the location releases as part of the live content.

Contracts Mode

On top of those new features, we also have Contracts Mode. You'll know this from Absolution. Play-to-create, mark your own targets, choose how to kill them and compete against your friends. IOI will also pick the best of the bunch and put them in the Featured Contracts list so you've got something fresh to play whenever you load up the game.

Live Challenges

Additionally, we have the ambition of adding community-inspired challenges into the game. As you'll have seen from the recent Beta period, the game is full of challenges you can complete to prove your mastery of a location. We are looking into creating new challenges that we can periodically add to the game. These challenges will be an homage to some of the more elaborate, amusing, difficult or creative feats that we see our players complete. As an example, one of the first ‘live challenges’ we are looking at creating is called “Hammer Time” and was inspired by a ‘2AngryGamers’ livestream of our PS4 Beta, where they used only a hammer to knock out almost every guard in the ‘Final Test’.

At this stage, Community-inspired challenges (or whatever we actually decide to name them) are just one of the ideas we are working on to keep the game fresh and live as we go through the season. These are not a guaranteed feature but something we’re testing and trying out.

All of those things are part of the live component of HITMAN. We'll be watching and listening to what you do in our game world and want to shape that world to what you've already done in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fortitude posted:

From what I understand, the first few levels are set right after the tutorial level of C47 but before the Hong Kong levels of C47 and the rest of the game is set after Absolution.

That would make sense. The guy getting shot through the mirror was a hit from Absolution. Also they have absolutely knocked it out of the park with every one of the trailers for this game.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The helicopter shot is leading to ICA's testing/training facility that you play in the '20 years ago' prologue, and the beta.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
New trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i4ldqM3mjg

Shows off more of Sapienza and Marrakesh, and the Swedish embassy in the latter. Holy poo poo this looks great.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Blood money needed more of that wow factor in finding a big secret part of the level, there wasn't enough of that.The big hotel level in contracts had a really obtuse way of poisoning a target that I didn't figure out for years and it was super hard to pull off, and loads of secret rooms that were there for actual reasons.

This is why I'm excited for the levels being so massive in the new one - there's going to be so much hidden poo poo tucked away that'll get revealed through the contracts mode and stuff.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I don't know anything about the first hitman game so i'm watching a walkthrough, skip to 1:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhyGGTbVIeY

It's so trippy and cool I love it.And lol most of the animations for 47 if not all of them had been reused all the way to blood money, that's some thrifty animation use.

I'm not ashamed to say I spent 70 whole minutes in one go watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngLKodA5Mxw

That Scarface 'homage' in C47 is something else alright, I totally forgot about it. Also Blood Money was such a leap forward in graphics, it still looks pretty great even 10 years later.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KXJM_KJDc8

Annoying Youtubers aside, this is really neat. Getting David Bateson in to voice 47 on-the-fly especially, as well as the voice of Diana as one of the players.

Making of is pretty good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swsO-RVxwwo

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

abagofcheetos posted:

The differences in that meeting between you attending it as Helmut and the actual Helmut attending it are really hilarious.

Yeah, I loved how he just didn't have a clue and 47 was on-point the whole of the way through the conversation. Turns out being a hitman that uses disguises is pretty perceptive to detail!

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

abagofcheetos posted:

I just got an email survey about Hitman, and one of the questions was asking what would you like added, and the briefcase was a choice. So it may be coming in the future!

Out of interest, what were the other choices? It's good that they're asking for constant feedback.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Moartoast posted:

Honestly, once you get used to it, it's way better than a controller. The controller binds too many things to singular buttons, and that can make a big difference between a perfect run and a botched run, especially since contextual items tend to be bunched together a whole lot.

Keyboard ain't perfect either, but at least you can rebind stuff. Also the gunplay and precision aiming feels way, way better with a mouse.

I think the biggest improvement to KB/M would be introducing some kind of incremental movement for 47 like the controllers have. Following a target and having to stop for a second or two because you walk faster than them ruins the flow a little. Every game in the series has had this problem.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Moartoast posted:

If every level from now on has the scope and complexity of Sapienza (or greater), then yeah I'm actually really into what the episodic thing does for both the developers and consumers. It pushes the devs to design each individual level extremely intricately in a way that's replayable in a plethora of ways, and also means they can't focus too much on story outside of self-contained vignettes, all of which makes for the kind of Hitman people have been clamouring for since BM. It puts just enough restraint on the devs to make them creatively work around their limitations, without being so restrained that they can't do rad grandiose stuff.

Well, no idea about episodes 4-6 as nothing has been shown of them yet, but recent previews have said that the next one, Marrakesh, is even larger and more involved than Sapienza. They're really pushing the boat out by the sounds of it.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Like, is the chef a really, really bad chef? :cheeky:

Well he's three star and can't get spaghetti bolognese right, so I'd say he's worthy of getting bumped off.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Kolnikov posted:

Not managed a silent run yet, but enjoying the fun of learning a new level. First run, one of the targets died by intricate setpiece and earned me big mastery points, the other took a meat cleaver in the face when I ran out of patience for his poo poo and earned nothing but shame. So it goes.

Top moment so far was when I finally decided to get my hotel key and check in. It's a really nice hotel room, and I felt almost like I was checking into a real hotel room on a real holiday, which is no mean feat for a video game. And on my second playthrough, there was a machete waiting there, so 47's holiday could begin in earnest. This one might rival Sapienza in the sheer prettiness stakes.

The best part about the suite is how 47 can just dial a disguise to come to him.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

The Gemini escalation where you have to CQC a lady to death as Kruger is remarkably tedious. Is there a good way to tell who's getting attracted by a coin if two people see it?

The one with the question mark above their head. I think their dot also fills out on the minimap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Just got in, the menu music becomes more sinister and distorted when you enable professional mode, nice touch!