Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Been screwing around in the freeform tutorial mission and having a lot of fun. A few petty gripes though:

1. I am on PC, and I am not a fan of having a billion separate buttons that do separate things despite most of them being contextual.

2. "Hey, scary bodyguard guy, I am totally a crew member! Do you mind if I go into the restroom your boss is puking his guts out into?" "Sure, go ahead."

3. On that note, how the hell is death by toilet bowl drowning "ironic"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Speaking of unconscious people, do they wake up by themselves after a certain amount of time?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just got the complete game. However, I am torn between allowing challenge and opportunity descriptions or setting them to minimal.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I finally got back into Hitman 2016, and holy poo poo, Sapienza is so much fun. Like, almost every time I play, I find another way to take out one of the targets, to the point where destroying the virus itself is disappointingly rote.

Also, it cemented the idea that 47 is like Patrick Stewart: Outwardly respectable, but is actually a huge goon and Diane is desperately trying to reign in his weirder ideas.

Diane: The agency has left a Sniper Rifle in the tower...
47: Are those cannons?
Diane: What?
47: I am going to kill them with the cannons.
Diane: I...Which one?
47: Both of them.
Diane: 47, the Rifle is right loving there
47: If it is not about where I can find more gunpower, I am not listening.

Fake Edit:
Diane: 47, the target is right there! Why are you waiting?
47: I am not doing anything until they say something appropriately ironic!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the opportunities added in 2016 are great for this. In Blood Money you tended to either stumble on tricks purely by accident, or you read about them on gamefaqs or something. Opportunities provide a nice middle ground of "here's a neat thing you can do" without just funneling you down a pre-determined "correct" solution. Plus if you hate even that level of hint, you can turn them off entirely.

It took me a very long time to think of using Opportunities as a way to get to know the level and the cool things you can do instead of it being baby mode for babies.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am plaything through the base campaign, and I am wondering if I should max out the mastery of an area before moving on. Paris is a bit hard to go back to (I think i need to start revealing challenges now), but I do want those remote explosives.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 13, 2018

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
^^^^
I liked that if a guard sees you while hulling away a body bag and you aren't being hunted, they shoot you a dirty look and go "Yeah, I know. This is my job, alright!?"

Discendo Vox posted:

The same people who wrote asian stereotype prostitutes, ugly hag female hotel staff NPCs, mystic primitive rainforest natives and buying guards blowjobs in Codename 47, setting a contract with Sikh guards on the site of an infamous historical Sikh massacre in Silent Assassin, stripper angels, child-panty-sniffing G-men and incest rapist gay Southern riverboat captain/gang leaders and, um, the entire intro tutorial level in Blood Money.

They were always like this. We collectively weren't culturally sensitive enough to acknowledge it was a problem. Absolution just made the problem impossible to ignore by removing any distraction in the form of good gameplay.

I liked the Idea of Death of a Showman: Fat rear end in a top hat's negligence causes disaster where a whole lot of people die, manages to avoid justice but fanatically ruins himself in the process, and ends up being an somewhat unwilling partner with other bad men in order to keep the lights on.

Unfortunately, said "other bad men" ended up being "Black Drug Dealers as interpreted by Very White Game Developers"

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

brap posted:

I've been living under a rock--what is this green man gaming thing? Do they sell you some digital code that's redeemable on Steam?

Yes, and Green Man Gaming is a legit site. Been using it for years.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have never heard a good thing about Absolution outside of official reviews, yet it’s user rating on Steam is very positive, better than Hitman 2016 even (Though I think that is because of the release model splitting ratings up, as well as people angry about the release model and online requirements themselves.)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Also, I really like the current mastery system, but then I am a huge sucker for Cheivo based progression systems.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Once I am done with the main campaign missions, what order should I tackle the additional campaigns and missions? I know that for most of them (Savejero Six? Ugh, I butchered that name) are basically the base missions with a different target.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 7, 2018

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have been slow going in this game due to a combination of gamer ADHD and wanting to find all the other kill possibilities in the level; Currently going through the possibilities in Bangkok (OG Campaign) at the moment.

One thing I like about the individual stories that I don't really see in gaming in general is the emphasis that the target partners are antagonistic to each other at best, and low level thinking assholes that would betray each other for a ham sandwich once they got out what they need from the other at worst. Dahlia and Viktor are probably the most functional duo so far, if only because that Dahlia did not immediately have Viktor buried in a shallow grave after learning what he did. Silvio and De Santis is pretty obvious about this too, though the later is doing the right thing on some level despite it being for her evil corporate overlords. Strandberge disgusts Zaydan to the point where he plans to have his men throw the guy off a plane once he is out of the country. And Cross will outright kill Morgan if they bump into each other (You'd think that Morgan would know enough to not stand in front of an open window).

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 27, 2018

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well this is weird. I was considering getting Hitman 2 for PC, but now I think I will get it on PS4 for the Hitman 1 levels.

I got the first one or two episodes on PC, but really started getting into it on PS4 after I got the complete collection (It was on sale and I was trying to justify the value of the PSPro and the 4K TV I just got :( ). Honestly, aside from not having too many hotbuttons and aiming (Which was alleviated a bit by turning down aiming sensitivity, and really going guns blazing is the worst way to play this game, for me anyway), it plays just fine on console.

I just hope that none of the Hitman 2 engine changes completely break the Hitman 1 levels.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Question about one of the Colorado opportunities: what is the point of the opportunity involving Ezra? To keep him out of the basement and in his garage lab? The opportunity track points toward his garage shack to get the basement key and it is easy enough to clear it out and/or create a kill trap without doing the extra poo poo in the basement. Unless I am doing it wrong it is easily the most pointless, redundant opportunity I have seen in the game so far

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well I found that he won’t turn on his Bunsen Burner until you OD the captive. Still lame.

Colorado is fun but there is a good reason why they ditched 4 targets on a map almost immediately.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can’t believed I am questioning this now that I am just about to start Hokkaido, but what defines ‘No bodies’? Non target bodies are definitely not allowed to be found, but targets seem a bit wobbly. Do they not count if they are accident or unnoticed kills?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
And that is Hokaido down and Season 1 done. Now to polish it off and do all the bonus campaigns/missions, or at least as much as I can do before I get my hands of Dragon Quest XI.

There isn't any post credit stinger, is there? The game bugged out loading the final campaign cutscene and I skipped the credits so I can reload it.

Final Cutscene Spoilers:

Writer 1: Wait, why is little 47 bald? Not like childhood baldness is a thing.
Writer 2: Uh then how else would we know it is 47 as a kid?
Writer 1: …but
Writer 2: STUPID :smug:

Got to say I was hoping the ending would have 47 and the Shadow Client finally meeting and becoming assassin bros.

I do love that most confrontations can be defused by briskly walking away from the guy getting in your face.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 29, 2018

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The ending of Hitman 2016:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
(Hokkaido spoilers)Eric Soders kills become a lot more hosed up once you learn that he is not actually put under. Particularly (ESPECIALLY) the (Not) Human Error kill

Is there a way to get the Surgeon outfit that isn’t the Head Surgeon or getting to level 19 and starting out in it?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Nakar posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, one of the patches around the time of the collector's edition release turned him into a regular doctor for some reason.

If we are talking about the dude who removes the bandages, then yeah he was a regular doctor.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it just me or is the hit box (kill box?) for falling objects rather generous? I did the current Elusive Target by dropping the speaker on the guy in the patio, and while I got the kill he was sort of walking at an angle and the thing did not quite hit him head on from the angle I was looking at.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Hitman Megathread: I tested this by killing every NPC on the map

This is probably intentional just because getting it to line up correctly would be difficult from that angle. Most likely it just kind of creates a magic death zone below the object as soon as you release it, which kills the NPC automatically. The rest is just animation.

Yeah, it may look weird, but if you are going to err, err in favor of the player, I suppose

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I liked all the levels to some degree (Haven’t got around to Patient Zero yet though). Though truthfully I liked Marakesh more than Bangkok and Colorado.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dabir posted:

Marrakesh's problem is that the targets are miles apart and you have to go through an insanely convoluted process to get the two anywhere near each other. But it doesn't even matter cause the only one you have to put any effort into killing is Strandberg, the poison kill on Zaydan is ten seconds of work in the middle of the market if you just want to do Strandberg challenges.

I definitely do understand that but I did get a lot of fun kills between the two targets.

If we are going into gripes, I guess my problem with Bangkok is one that, really, every single level in this game has, writ large: Its a giant level but ultimately there are only 2 small places where you are going to spend most of your time.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 4, 2018

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So for Landslide, can anyone give a clue on how to enable the boat escape route? Preferably a general location?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sorry, still can’t find anything relating to the drat boat. You can just go ahead and give away the exact location if you like.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Nakar posted:

From where you start you're looking toward the photoshoot crowd and the wine store. On the far end of the crowd, near the wine store, there is a trash can. The boat keys are lying on the ground right near the trash can, slightly hidden by the crowd.

EDIT: Not the beach, the photo op spot in the square where Abiatti talks to the doctor.

Yeah, found it. Thank you! Kind of a bullshit pixelhunt to be honest.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lollerich posted:

I get and agree with everything before this, but maybe it's because English is my 4th language or something but I just can't parse that sentence. What are you trying to say?

I have not played much of the past titles except for a little bit of Blood Money (The tutorial level...woof), but from Hitman 2016, I think he means that despite its own funhouse mirror of society, it posits that humanity is generally good and the people you are going after are for the most part upper crust assholes that deserve to be drowned in a toilet filled with their own vomit.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah, they're explicitly about testing your mastery of the level and systems. I enjoy 'em as a challenge, but they just don't top things like filling a hotel with bug gas or pretending to be a model and walking the catwalk.

This is actually my least favorite opportunity. I mean yes you get to knock out everyone in the Atrium, but not the guards outside of it, who will notice and start patrolling, so it ends up being worst than worthless.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just did the Entertainer ET. Wish I could say I was able to get the guest list without looking it up, but, I am dumb and weak.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Rolling with the Gold Edition because I have enough faith that it will be worth the extra cash. Still need to roll through the rest of Patient Zero but it should be quick enough if I just blitz through it rather than meticulously search for alternate solutions.

They confirmed that unlocks on the previous game do not carry over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hitman does regularly go on sale, so you could just wait till then and pick up the GotY pack once it is available.