Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I was out doing errands today and I wondered if there was a propane tank somewhere around the harbour in Sapienza (there's not) because it'd be nice to be able to breach through that loose brick wall to get down into the lab the same way you can use the propane tank in the tunnels to breach out.

That's how I know I like this game a lot, not because I want to get back to playing it but because I keep trying to think of how I want to play it. That doesn't usually happen for any game that's not a 4X or sim. I guess you could make the argument it's an assassination sim...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tippis posted:

There's a fire extinguisher in the wine shop or hair dresser by the square, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, near the PI. I found it later when I searched an interactive map, but it's a bit out of the way. Would still work though if I'm not pressed for time for some reason.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Once you get to Level 20 on a level there are no more gear unlocks left, right? And the pre-Paris missions don't provide any XP or unlocks?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The music really impresses me. I play with minimap and assassin vision but I notice the music and sound cues the game provides when certain threats approach or you go someplace you're really not supposed to.

And there's an unmistakable Bond influence in there sometimes as well. When I destroy the virus in Sapienza I might as well be playing Goldeneye given the musical flourish that accompanies the completed objective. Especially with the cover shooter playthrough I did the other day that could not have been more 007 style, using a silenced pistol, remote explosives, blowing up propane tanks, and using the exploding golf balls, then escaping on the plane.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So for some reason I'm trying to do SA/SO on my very first playthrough of Marrakesh and things are going OK for now (killed Whitey Whatshisname) but man, it's a slog. There are hardly any places to dump bodies in the Consulate so it's all about distraction, cover, and timing. Feels like those super tense levels of Tenchu back in the day.

One saving grace is that I overheard about the tunnel connecting the shop to the Consulate.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Am I missing something with the "Create an oil leak" option? I get that I can shoot it to spark a fire and create a brief distraction that doesn't require using up or throwing around my inventory, but there are just so many in Marrakesh that it feels like a hint towards something. Like in that guarded shop entrance that leads to the tunnel, there are something like six or seven oil leak opportunities in just that one small clearing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

madeupfred posted:

It is.

Spoiler I guess: You can get both of the marks in the tunnel at the same time. When you do, they both congregate next to an oil drum.

Ah ok, thanks. I noticed a drum in the locker room conveniently next to a table with remote explosives on it, but it felt like overkill to use that to distract the two guards in that room, even on the return trip.

Samopsa posted:

A lot of things are also there to make contracts/escalations possible. Like the telephone booths in the market that can be sabotaged: they can be used in the escalation where you need to take out some handymen.

This is what I have trouble remembering, that there's so much stuff on the map that has little to do with the main story mission.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's almost always an outfit lying around somewhere. There's a feat/discovery thing in Sapienza for getting the priest's outfit without pacifying or killing him and what they mean is "just get into the church basement" because there's one there. Same with the flower delivery guys. You can be patient and careful and knock out the two delivery guys, the bicyclist, and the gawking tourist in order to get a delivery outfit without any bodies being found but there's also a delivery outfit in a shop in town that you can break into or open with a key.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mzbundifund posted:

My Elusive Target plan is always to try to get the target into some secluded corner, pacify them, and then run around making 100% sure that I've deleted camera records, got a guaranteed run to the exit, hidden all bodies, then go back and snap the guy's neck, preferably hiding the body immediately, and then book it out before something can go wrong.

Pacify them, place a remote explosive on them, make it to the exit but then before you actually finish the mission, say something witty and detonate the explosion. Then leave.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I find it hard to justify using guns, like morally justify. Lame, I know. I kill the targets because they deserve it but only knock out the rest.

Except in the virus lab area. Death to all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samopsa posted:

also everyone in colorado

I look forward to it! I'm going to have some pretty nice guns unlocked by the time I get there.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WindyMan posted:

It's a little bit disturbing, actually.

But it's also fun!!!

This describes many of my favourite videogames.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hobo Clown posted:

It'd be nice if the piano wire or syringes could be used on sitting people. I had gotten the Food Critic's guard out of the room and it was just me and the target, but I'd have to bump into him to get him to stand up and then he'd just stare at me until sitting down again.

Or maybe just a "omg what's that behind you?!" command.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, I finally finished my SASO run of Marrakesh. It was my very first time on that level so between all the experimentation and mistakes I don't want to know how many times I saved and reloaded.

It was so freeing doing it that way, though. On Paris and Sapienza it felt like everything was a test run for the eventual SASO attempt but now that I've gotten it out of the way (and Sniper Assassin, which was a cakewalk) I don't need to care much at all about hiding bodies or non-target kills as I do the other challenges and get the rest of the Mastery levels.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

skooma512 posted:

I don't really get why they give points for the sniper assassin challenge on Sapienza when level 20 unlock on that map is all but required to finish it.

Much easier I imagine, but not required. I did it from the ruins with the first Jaegar gun by sniping Silvio while he was golfing and sniping Francesca standing on the pier.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

skooma512 posted:

What about the one that requires two kills in one shot? I had to use a contract to cheese the setup

Oh, you're talking about the Master Sniper stuff. Yeah, that would require the second sniper rifle. Though I think the Master Sniper challenges were added to the game/level later.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chexoid posted:

Hahaha I thought I was the only one who always punted that guy into the ocean when doing the speedboat escape. He's just, right there.

Is that one of the guys who's gossiping about Francesca and the golf coach or is that a different dude?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The one part of Sapienza I don't get quite get in relation to the rest is the clothing store. Nice connection with Sanguine from the previous map but otherwise it feels like an afterthought.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's the store clerk costume that's really the highlight I think. That costume has nothing to do with anything (yet). Helps if you need a costume switch in a jam, I suppose.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And Tyler Too! posted:

I fed him bad spaghetti and pushed him off a cliff.

Pushed him off the cliff by his mom's grave and didn't get the Assassination credit for it... :(

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pilchenstein posted:

You can also shoot the fuse box on the observatory dome to make it open and he'll go up and look through the telescope.

If there's an award for Best Level, Sapienza needs it this year.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And Tyler Too! posted:

Coming off of Sapienza I wasn't too keen on Morocco until I realized I can shimmy up the pipes and across windowsills to get roof access to quite a few buildings. Next time I'll remember to bring a sniper rifle, until then I'm the soda-can ninja.

There's a little "gently caress you" opening in the wall next to the pipe by the school where the guard who stands closest to it can see you shimmy up or down it. Otherwise, you'd look at how the pipe is around a corner and think you were safe from view.

You could probably describe the whole school like that actually. There's almost always a guard at just the right angle to see you doing something naughty. Your timing and awareness has to be top-notch.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SOSA?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Boiled Water posted:

Gunshot heard doesn't seem to count against being a silent assassin :v: .

I shot the General in Marrakesh from the rooftop above the school to get my sniper challenge and the first time I did it the guards went into Combat mode because I guess they instantly looked up from the schoolyard and saw me. Second time I just backed up a little and even though they heard the gunshot, all they did was search around. They actually got really close to my position, getting to the rooftop next to mine, but since they're not AssCreed guards who can climb up all the same stuff you do, the ledges I shimmied across kept them at bay.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oceanbound posted:

Haven't played Bangkok in a long time, but judging by other people's comments, they removed the recorder from that security hut because it was too easy to do just this.

Booooo.

I'm about to start Bangkok so I could have used that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've mastered and SASO'd the previous three levels (just finished Paris last night) but I don't have a scrambler yet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh nice, I haven't done an ET yet. Been so engrossed in the main level missions and I've wanted to level up to get as many of the tools and weapons as possible but I'm going to do this one. I did pay for them after all.

Edit: Oh goddammit, it's a target in Colorado. Haven't even played that map yet.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Nice. They must have noticed how many people were cheesing ETs with fire extinguishers.

The always-online requirement can be annoying but what it does for feedback to developers is cool, especially for a developer who is releasing content in this manner.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wasn't until this discussion of women's disguises that I realized all the men are the same shape in the game. No problem getting a disguise when all their clothes fit 47 to a T.

Or maybe it was because I also saw Austin Powers over the weekend and there's that sight gag scene where they infiltrate Virtucon and disguise themselves in the outfits worn by a fat woman and a Lurch-size man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Asmodai_00 posted:

it's almost like this is some kind of

video game

Instead of holding X to change into the pizza chef's disguise you have to mash X so as to inflate the Fat Suit pack you wear around your midsection.

The Fat Suit is attained when achieving Level 20 Mastery on the Kokugikan map.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The barcode tattoo is just really popular in the Hitman universe. Blends him in anywhere he goes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

$47.00

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pyroi posted:

Helmut is actually another clone, but this one was designed to be the most fabulous hitman of all time. Agent 23: the master of fashion.

Also makeup. Lots and lots of makeup.

No joke, I think you could apply lots of tried and tested videogame mechanics to make a really fun modeling game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Popoi posted:

"Interesting. Your target is expecting the Countess to arrive to accompany him to the ball any moment, and the two have never met. How are you in heels, 47?"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

poptart_fairy posted:

Rats, time to be a bit sneakier then. :)

I'm working on the "shoot Dahlia after meeting her as Tobias Rieper" challenge. Maybe I can introduce myself to the guards and then sneak through a window to avoid getting risked, hrmm.

The balcony that the auction room opens out onto has a guard posted at one end. On the other end is a pipe that goes all the way down to ground level, so if you make it past the guards and waitstaff you can skip all of the frisks and take whatever weapons you want up to your seat as Rieper. You can even pick up something along the way if you use the Shed as your Agency Pickup.

Edit: I'm playing through Bangkok for the first time, and like with Marrakesh, I'm trying to make my first run the SASO run. You have to really focus and fight for almost every inch of ground in this map. So far there's been a real lack of places to dump bodies and each section of hallway is laid out so that there are lots of angles to be seen from. Having to watch out for guests and guards spotting you from over railings on floors above has been annoying. Though it is nice being able to shoot out cameras from the floor below.

Also, I equipped my lockpick but I haven't been able to use it or a crowbar on any door so that was a bit of a waste. Everything is either already open or requires a key card. Luckily that room of Morgan's the staff is cleaning up has a master keycard that I just picked up.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 12, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Discendo Vox posted:

You got that keycard SASO? God you're pro...

I wouldn't go that far! Without any ways to open doors I was more or less stuck at that end of that hallway unless I wanted to backtrack or load an earlier save but the other routes I had seen so far didn't seem any easier. So Morgan's suite was really the only option. There's actually a window of time large enough after you hear the two workers talk about Morgan being a shitbag where they go back into the suite (I think the guy goes to the washroom) that you can sneak into the bedroom of the suite, close the door, and start picking off the staff one by one. Though if someone ever actually ends up going into the bedroom I'm screwed cuz it's piled with bodies but that entire suite has no dumping areas.

Then it was just good fortune finding out that the suite has both the master keycard and a balcony pipe to take me up to higher floors.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

^^I'd say the super suit in Paris is Krueger. Access to all floors and no frisking IIRC. I'm not sure if he can get into the surveillance parts of the attic but those are easy enough to navigate anyway even if you're Trespassing.

Are all of the drinks/food in a level worthwhile to poison or are lots of them there as decoys so it's not immediately obvious which one your targets will use? Some are used by guards or people who have useful disguises but there seem to be way too many even for that purpose and that you'd be wasting a poison.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 12, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah the officer outfit in Marrakesh is probably the best you can get but even then it's limited. The general and other officers recognize you as a fraud and it doesn't help out much in the Consulate. So far the best outfit I've come across in the Consulate is the masseuse or janitor but those have their drawbacks as well.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think it's funny that you can't get a negative score. I killed everyone in the Sapienza lab cave and all I got was this lame zero.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chexoid posted:

I believe they've already confirmed that unlocks will crossover. Which is both cool and maybe a little concerning. Does that mean Season 2 will start with the presumption that we've gotten all the unlocks already? Who knows.

Shouldn't be that concerning. The levels we currently have are already designed with challenges that assume you have certain tools or weapons (or at least assume you'll use them instead of a much more difficult method). They're not going to design levels so that the basic assassinations or navigation absolutely require higher-level mastery of Season 1.

Cease to Hope posted:

Nobody ever does, it's fine.

Ok, cool. I figured, because unless I specifically trigger something the NPCs should stay on their fairly basic loops. Based on my Instincts vision I can see that Morgan is quite far away and still outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Odobenidae posted:

Oh drat, I thought it only couldn't be an explosion. I don't really care one way or the other. I find it really weird how this is the first time they're doing it, because every target ever before this has had "with any weapon/disguise". I was confused why they included that if they'd never actually give any requirements and just put the special escalation/contract requirements somewhere else on the ui.

When I first started playing the game, I saw how it said Novikov and Margolis could be killed in any way and assumed the next levels would introduce all kinds of conditions.