Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
https://youtu.be/ZelhEVqSFxU

Intake and 4 barrel in. Top end rebuilt and back to running. No more skeleton jacking off in a wash pan full of metal spoons noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Farking Bastage posted:

https://youtu.be/ZelhEVqSFxU

Intake and 4 barrel in. Top end rebuilt and back to running. No more skeleton jacking off in a wash pan full of metal spoons noise.

Sounds great. Did you do the valley oiling mod while you had all that apart?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Raluek posted:

Sounds great. Did you do the valley oiling mod while you had all that apart?

I was scared to death to be making metal shavings anywhere near an oil passage. When the day comes to rebuild it I will. I may regret it later..

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 14, 2016

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Is the oiling mod really worth it for a truck? I was never sold. If I had an AMX, yes definitely. If I had the engine apart, might as well. But in something that isn't going to see a lot of high RPMs, meh. I can see the install in situ causing more damage than it would prevent.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I got that 4BBL adjusted out( the last video was with a massive vacuum leak) and it's kind of sweet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Jx2DSLjEQ

The last time I put a vacuum gauge on it with old carb and valve train, it fluttered 5-10" It's Dead rear end on now. :feelsgood:

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 15, 2016

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Sounds good, nice work!

Now find a set of aluminum slots and lose those godawful "nugget" wheels. :)

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

Sounds good, nice work!

Now find a set of aluminum slots and lose those godawful "nugget" wheels. :)

The locking hubs are so big on this thing that was the only one that would fit at the time ~1997

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Soon..

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I took it out today!!!!!!!!!!

The engine performs like I had hoped. A light throttle tap spins both back wheels on dirt, a generous nudge on pavement makes tire smoke. All the power is way down low. Decent higher up but it is a low end grunter for sure. Quite the opposite from my DD which is a 4cyl turbo. Now for the bad news. She runs and she cools, but she doesn't charge. I took it to the gas station about 5 miles away to fill up and I thought I saw the slightest flicker of an AMP light. By the time I got home it on fully on. Being that I replaced all the spark, choke, and fuel delivery with electric versions, that's not good. Going to pull the alternator and have it tested. Normally, I would just order one since they're dirt cheap but, I can't find data on what that AMC V8 alternator puts out and I'm concerned that the electric choke could be drawing too much.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I didn't see it in any of your pictures, but it's mostly likely a standard Remy 10SI alternator. They usually put out ~40 amps in base trim, and ~60 amps if you are optioned out with stuff like A/C and defrosters. I'm guessing you are on the low end if it was never upgraded.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I didn't see it in any of your pictures, but it's mostly likely a standard Remy 10SI alternator. They usually put out ~40 amps in base trim, and ~60 amps if you are optioned out with stuff like A/C and defrosters. I'm guessing you are on the low end if it was never upgraded.

I looked it up and it's 35-ish. Between HEI, Mr Gasket Fuel pump, and Electric choke, probably not enough, or just hosed for that matter. Going to pull it and at least have it tested.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

https://youtu.be/oShpZfB4UeM

:dance:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

She's a midnight murder machine! Sounds great to me.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Need daytime video.

And tire smoke.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Need daytime video.

And tire smoke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cdjrihnIAc

:3:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Bravo, good sir, :golfclap: Bravo.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Put the top on. I love this machine.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 18, 2016

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Farking Bastage posted:

I looked it up and it's 35-ish. Between HEI, Mr Gasket Fuel pump, and Electric choke, probably not enough, or just hosed for that matter. Going to pull it and at least have it tested.

Good choice, I still doubt you have that much draw on it that you're overloading it though, but higher amp replacements are easy to come by and rebuild kits are cheap as well.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Fixed the charging problem, developed a cooling one. Water pump is pissing out the front weep hole should have parts soon. Not looking forward to pulling that fucker.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Water pump's changed out no more leaks and it's charging again.

Took her out in the rain for a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uoc8h2FpbDA

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

It's nice out today. Pulled the top off and took her out some. My wife was filming and narrating. Excuse the eye rolling when I get on it at the end of the road. :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzXFdRGJrQ4

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Something I'm curious about. I think the secondaries on that carb are putting in a bit too much fuel. Everything ive googled says the secondary is manual. The primary is spot on but if you really step into it it seems like it's just bogging some and drowning in fuel. Is this the part where you change the springs out to lean it up some? It's an Edelbrock 1405

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Farking Bastage posted:

Something I'm curious about. I think the secondaries on that carb are putting in a bit too much fuel. Everything ive googled says the secondary is manual. The primary is spot on but if you really step into it it seems like it's just bogging some and drowning in fuel. Is this the part where you change the springs out to lean it up some? It's an Edelbrock 1405

No. Secondaries being manual or vacuum just refers to the method with which the butterflies open; in your case it's a mechanical linkage. The mixture is set by jets, the same as anything. You change the secondaries in one of those thusly:
  • Remove air cleaner
  • Remove brass thingy at the top of the air cleaner rod (or the whole rod, but on mine this was stuck on pretty well)
  • Disconnect accelerator pump lever (there's a little clip; you'll want to get this with needle nose pliers)
  • Disconnect that linkage on the driver's side that has a big Torx head on it that goes to the choke (assuming manual choke; you can just take the screw out, pull the bit that goes up to the choke off, and put the screw back in for safe keeping)
  • Loosen the screws (Torx and hex head) for the trap doors on top that retain the step-up rods. Remove rods and springs, don't let the springs wander off. Note their color for tuning purposes, as well as the numbers stamped onto the rods.
  • Unscrew the back passenger side top screw (flat head) so you can pull the choke (again, still assuming manual choke) cable out of the linkage without disturbing its adjustment
  • Remove the other 7 flat-head top screws, these will be all the same length as each other but shorter than the one that holds the choke bracket on
  • Pull the top half of the carburetor off, trying not to damage the gasket. Mine was all hosed up, and the only real downside was the float bowls would evaporate out after a week or so
  • Remove the two little metal inserts in the float bowls, one per side. Keep track of their orientation, so they go back in the same way.
  • Use a flat head screwdriver to unscrew the brass jets in the bottom of the float bowl. The rear two are the secondaries, and the front two are the primaries. Take note of what you took out, and what you're putting in.

The long and the short of it is that there's a bunch of little steps to make sure everything that connects the top half of the carb to the bottom half is free, so you can pull it apart and get to the jets to change them. I got pretty quick at this when I was fiddling with mine, only took a few minutes towards the end. It's not as bad as this long list might make you think.

Edelbrock has the manual on their website: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/misc/tech-center/install/1000/1405_manual.pdf
It's useful so you can check your jet configurations against the baseline. Maybe someone's monkeyed with it before. Bone stock settings ("400" main jet, 7047 rod, "395" secondary jet, orange springs, middle accelerator pump hole) worked great on my 327 with an RV cam, but my 350 with a hot cam and air gap manifold and all that never ran right with it. It would always bog on the secondaries opening, and since you can't adjust the air valve on these, I had to replace it with a more tunable carb. Hopefully that's not your issue here, since it sounds like your motor is pretty stockish.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

Farking Bastage posted:

Often, that bog is because the secondaries are opening too early. Get on it, feels good, bog, stay in long enough, feels good. Properly set up, it should be a smooth increase, with no "feelin' the secondaries kick in" kind of thing.

Is the carb brand new? It's unusual to have an issue with the secondaries on an Edelbrock unless it's been messed with previously. On a Holley, you'd swap the spring in the vacuum pot to change when the secondaries open. The lower plates on an Edelbrock are mechanically linked, and the upper flap is what's controlled by vacuum - there are counterweights that control when those open. If someone messed with the metering rods, that could be an issue as well. More fuel is rarely the answer with a carburetor, unless there is something really cool going on.

If this isn't a brand new out of the box carburetor, that you can be certain wasn't trifled with, I'd start with the basics - is the choke opening, things like that. Then, if you can, drive it with a camera under the hood, no air cleaner, and see what that top plate is doing when you experience the condition described.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jhcain posted:

The lower plates on an Edelbrock are mechanically linked, and the upper flap is what's controlled by vacuum - there are counterweights that control when those open.

That is exactly why I had to get rid of my 1405. The only way to adjust the rate the flapper thing opens is by drilling the counterweights and either filling them with lead or not, depending on whether you want to increase or decrease the opening rate. But on a stock-ish motor it should be pretty sweet.

I think he said this is a marine carburetor he got secondhand, so I'd totally believe someone has monkeyed with it. That's why I suggested looking at all the tunable bits (jets, rods, springs, pump) as they come apart, so he can establish a base state of tune.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

With no top and old leaf springs and steering, this thing is goddamned terrifying at 55 MPH

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

some of the kids joined me todsy

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Farking Bastage posted:

some of the kids joined me todsy

That radio has to go, it looks completely out of place.

Nice dogge, though.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

that was the pinnacle of early 1990's technology, complete with 4 of those white boat speakers.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Punchlist is slowly dropping. It developed a couple of issues under longer running periods, both heat related.

The brake lines coming off the MC got a little too hot, they were run( not by me) off the back of the engine, resulting in one side of them dragging after about 15 miles of highway speed. I'm going to try some heat shielding to resolve that, then move on to replacing flex lines. These are unbelievably hard to flare and I hope to hell I don't have to replace them.

Definitely need to relocate the fuel pump to the tank. After long periods of operation, it's vaporlocking at the pump.

Gave her a bath

Hit some trails

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I just realized something that floored me. The paint and body work that was done on that jeep is 20 years old. Also just replaced all the side marker lenses. :3:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Rigged up a bikini top for a CJ

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Looks good. Still hate the wheels. :v:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
So cool. I'd kinda like to see a concept reboot of the Commando now.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Bucephalus posted:

Looks good. Still hate the wheels. :v:

Needs some Soft 8's. Everything does.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Farking Bastage posted:

Does it just stumble on throttle tip-in? The accelerator pump linkage is adjustable for more or less juice when you hit it.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Sandbagger SA posted:

So cool. I'd kinda like to see a concept reboot of the Commando now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Kcd8c_JQk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

:dance: https://youtu.be/Bz3SW2AeGI4

• Locked thread