Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Bass Bottles posted:

Yes. They think affirmative action costs them success, they think "PC culture" unfairly silences white voices, they think BLM causes a dehumanization of police, leading to a reckless disregard for their safety.

It's silly to say these concepts are too nuanced or complex for them to understand. They demonstrate over and over again that they not only understand them, they believe in them. They just have it backwards.

Still, I don't like the "willful ignorance" label. I think these beliefs, though wrong, are held earnestly.

I mean, I get it. If you handed someone an informative pamphlet clearly explaining the facts that white people are not disadvantaged, you wouldn't instantly change their mind. Their reaction would probably be emotional rejection, and that's frustrating. But people aren't robots, they aren't perfect rational beings, and they aren't 100% in control of their emotions.

This is the part where my argument gets dangerously close to tone-policing, but that's not what I'm trying to say. Well, okay, maybe it is, a little bit. You catch more flies with honey, etc. But whatever approach you want to use, I think the reality is that racists are absolutely capable of understanding systemic racism, because they already do. This is, in a weird way, good news, because it means there is hope!! (I think.)

I am, like you, a white person who can never fully understand what it's like to be the victim of racism, though. But I try my best to, and this is where I'm at right now with it.

I think this is a good way of looking at things, and I don't think it's at odds with anything I said. Actually, I think it complements my comments.

Narcissus1916 posted:

The black lives matter movement is attacked by racists, sure.

But I think a LOT of white america has a very different view of police. Sure, they say, there's a few bad apples. A few corrupt cops running around, Vic Mackey'ing the poo poo out of some thug.

But systematic bias? Where the police actively seek out harsher penalties (lethal or otherwise) on minorities? That's beyond white america's comprehension.

Honestly, I think police racism might be the one issue white America is somewhat close to grasping. I'm not necessarily saying that they're on board with it at large, but it's been so widely reported and publicized that I think they're starting to at least see a case for it.

I'm not sure the same can be said of other forms of systemic racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

TBH I'm a bit disappointed in FF. There are plenty of very funny bits in it, but I don't like the whole amped-up anger tone of the show. Like everything is incredibly and horribly terrible and you've got to be super-angry about it right now and all the time!! In fact they could pretty much rename the entire show "!!". I mean, she was basically berating her own audience for not voting in 2010, when I imagine that most of the kind of people who watch her show did vote, if they were eligible. And she referred to Trump as "the presidential frontrunner" twice, even though he isn't.

It just seems very forced.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Comrade Fakename posted:

TBH I'm a bit disappointed in FF. There are plenty of very funny bits in it, but I don't like the whole amped-up anger tone of the show. Like everything is incredibly and horribly terrible and you've got to be super-angry about it right now and all the time!! In fact they could pretty much rename the entire show "!!". I mean, she was basically berating her own audience for not voting in 2010, when I imagine that most of the kind of people who watch her show did vote, if they were eligible. And she referred to Trump as "the presidential frontrunner" twice, even though he isn't.

No most of them didn't it was a record low turnout and destroyed the country, someone needs to berate everyone for that.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Comrade Fakename posted:

:frogout:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Comrade Fakename posted:

Are we watching the same show?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I like the acidic tone. I love deadpan, but this isn't a fake news show. It's a straight-up editorial piece, and the aggression sells the humor.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Honestly I like the slightly different tones each Stewart alumni has brought. Oliver is basically one step away from journalism, with well reasoned and well researched think pieces. Sam Bee brings the righteous anger and the CAN YOU FCKING BELIEVE OUR COUNTRY tone that Stewart honed over the years. And Noah has done an amiable job of giving me four shows a week, with a nascent comedic voice that I hope grows into something special.

Colbert's show is still aggressively apolitical, which saddens me so very much.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

I don't like the whole amped-up anger tone of the show.
This is the exact reason I like the show.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

VagueRant posted:

This is the exact reason I like the show.

Same. It gives me much needed catharsis that the other shows aren't providing right now.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It's like if Glenn Greenwald had joke writers.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Narcissus1916 posted:

Honestly I like the slightly different tones each Stewart alumni has brought. Oliver is basically one step away from journalism, with well reasoned and well researched think pieces. Sam Bee brings the righteous anger and the CAN YOU FCKING BELIEVE OUR COUNTRY tone that Stewart honed over the years. And Noah has done an amiable job of giving me four shows a week, with a nascent comedic voice that I hope grows into something special.

Colbert's show is still aggressively apolitical, which saddens me so very much.

I've recently gone back to TDS and I think Trevor Noah is already finding his voice. They lost my interest for a while there, but the recent episodes I watched were all really good!

But yeah, Colbert's show is the most disappointing. I don't even watch YouTube clips anymore. The classic late night format bores the crap out of me.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I like Sam Bee's show.
I like John Oliver's show.
I like Trevor Noah's show.
I like Colbert's show.
I even like Larry Wilmore's show.

I think I'm doing it wrong.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Narcissus1916 posted:

The black lives matter movement is attacked by racists, sure.

But I think a LOT of white america has a very different view of police. Sure, they say, there's a few bad apples. A few corrupt cops running around, Vic Mackey'ing the poo poo out of some thug.

This is a reasonable, if misinformed view to take. But the thing I seem to see over and over is that the "bad apples" are vociferously defended under the premise that "they're not all bad apples," and that daring to demand accountability for those bad apples somehow paints you as "anti-police." You see this a lot in cases of representatives of large police organizations too, like just last month where Beyonce dancing aggressively was perceived as some kind of "anti-police" slight to the point where the Miami FOP president called for police to not provide security for her shows (not having actually seen the performance in question, natch, which contributes to my "willful ignorance" stance) or the response to Quentin Tarantino taking part in a protest against police brutality and saying "yo police, stop murdering dudes" being calling for a boycott of his movies and making vague threats of a "surprise" for him, which sounds totally rational and doesn't make the police sound like a giant loving gang at all.

And then of course there's this old gem that shows what happens to the "good cops."

I don't know why people find this so surprising or offensive though, when the concept of "dirty cops" and the one "clean cop you can trust" in an entire corrupt organization of dirty cops has been a pop culture meme for decades.

Narcissus1916 posted:

But systematic bias? Where the police actively seek out harsher penalties (lethal or otherwise) on minorities? That's beyond white america's comprehension.

This is also an interesting point, because often when you highlight these injustices against minorities, rather than getting the response of "yeah, that's hosed up and shouldn't happen to anyone regardless of race" you get the "taking your problem and making it all about me" phenomenon in the form of "well here's an article of a white guy getting roughed up, where's the protests for him?" And it's a good question, why the gently caress aren't they out there protesting it? The answer is because they don't actually give a poo poo and they're being intellectually dishonest, and they can't let go of the cognitive dissonance of "nothing bad will happen to you if you're not doing anything wrong."

Echo Chamber posted:

I like Sam Bee's show.
I like Colbert's show.

I like all of them to a certain extent as well. The first segment where Colbert's doing anything resembling TCR is the only part I really like out of the Late Show, and the first segment of Nightly usually isn't bad as long as he doesn't bring out any of his shitawful supporting cast to do their unfunny skits. I gave up on the panel segment months ago.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 4, 2016

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Echo Chamber posted:

I like Sam Bee's show.
I like Colbert's show.

I think I will like Trevor Noah's show in a year or two if he survives. He's still too awkward at this point. I really like Colbert's show, for two reasons: one is his relentless joy. The other is that my parents, who are a mixed political marriage, can both watch his show and my mom the democrat feels like Colbert's a political ally while my dad the republican doesn't feel like Colbert's mocking him.

raditts posted:

This is also an interesting point, because often when you highlight these injustices against minorities, rather than getting the response of "yeah, that's hosed up and shouldn't happen to anyone regardless of race" you get the "taking your problem and making it all about me" phenomenon in the form of "well here's an article of a white guy getting roughed up, where's the protests for him?" And it's a good question, why the gently caress aren't they out there protesting it? The answer is because they don't actually give a poo poo and they're being intellectually dishonest, and they can't let go of the cognitive dissonance of "nothing bad will happen to you if you're not doing anything wrong."

I usually explain it as a question of proportion. Yes, in absolute terms more white people are killed by the police than black people. However the percentage of the white population killed by police is *way* smaller than the percentage of the black population.

As far as white people not protesting it...I don't know, I grew up in an almost entirely white area and I never really identified with the also-white portion of the population that was habitually harassed by the police. I didn't think it was right that they were hassled, but fundamentally it was different from if I was really at risk of getting hassled as well. To me something like BLM makes sense because I've always recognized that I was safe from that kind of thing and various other people are not. The white people I know who are most indignant about BLM grew up in circumstances where they were more likely to be targeted by the police for special attention, and I think there's a knee-jerk "why isn't anyone standing up for ME then?" reaction. Which, OK, I get that. But I doubt the majority of white people with time and money on their hands to put into effecting some sort of social change are going to take up the cause of poorer or trashier white people because they aren't "us" and we don't have that problem. Meanwhile, even the most upstanding black citizen can fall afoul of racially motivated police attention, so there's a pool of well-educated middle-class young people with a direct personal stake in the issue.

COOLGUY TRUE
Jan 7, 2005

Too True! Cool, too.
I hate the audience pans and the overall Americans Funniest Home Videos tone, I wish that she had a desk. The material is great though, Samantha Bee is awesome.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

When does Colbert actually talk politics? Every time I tune in (once every few weeks) he maybe does one three minute segment with not a single joke classifying as political humor.

Like if he DOES do more political stuff, I want to know so I can track it down.

Anyone else excited for Bee's promised take on 2016 on Monday?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I would guess that Bee and the other TDS people didn't want the show because they'd be unfavorably compared to Stewart immediately. Hey, look what's happening with Trevor Noah!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Wow you don't like an opinionated, "angry" woman? Tell me more :allears:

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

:cawg:

Perfect analysis.

Echo Chamber posted:

I like Sam Bee's show.
I like Colbert's show.

I love Sam Bee. She's the best person on TV right now in my opinion. She provides the best catharsis and this is exactly what I want with this type of show.

I love John Oliver. I honestly don't find him very funny, but he's the closest to real journalism of the bunch, and I don't watch his show for comedy. Plus, some of the stuff he does isn't the classic laugh-out-loud type of humor to me, but I nonetheless appreciate it as brilliant satire. Our Lady of Perpetual of Exemption, for example.

I love Trevor Noah. He's doing an admirable job in his role, and I think he will only continue to improve. Plus the correspondents are on point right now.

I don't watch Colbert, but it seems good for what it is based on what little I have seen.

I like Wilmore himself. I usually don't like the panels, but then I pretty much never watched any of Stewart's interviews, for comparison. I usually enjoy the opening segment, but I think the correspondents are just okay most of the time.

But yeah, in general I'm much more positive about all of the above than most everything I read.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Comrade Fakename posted:

I mean, she was basically berating her own audience for not voting in 2010, when I imagine that most of the kind of people who watch her show did vote, if they were eligible.
You'd imagine that young liberals were likely to vote if possible? Yeah sure, it's not like all the voting data we have points to overwhelming apathy for the 18-2x crowd.

quote:

And she referred to Trump as "the presidential frontrunner" twice, even though he isn't.
He isn't the one dominating news cycles and causing a massive upheaval in the GOP primary, to the point where Jeb Bush's entire campaign was upended due to Trump's participation?

What's it like in your dimension?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Question.

Does watching Strangers With Candy on Amazon count as watching Colbert?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Colbert's show is really good if you just like classic late night programs. If the format doesn't do anything for you, you aren't going to like it because he isn't really innovating it or doing weird stuff with it like Craig Ferguson used to do, he is just doing the basic thing thing but perfectly. You can tell he is a having a lot of fun as well and that makes it enjoyable.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

PBS Newshour posted:

he is just doing the basic thing thing but perfectly. You can tell he is a having a lot of fun as well and that makes it enjoyable.
To be honest, he may be gun-shy after what happened to Conan.

Fallon pretty much had free reign to do his own thing after that clusterfuck, and it's worked out pretty well for him. That and the fact that the network realized changing demographics meant they should realign their expectations...

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

PBS Newshour posted:

You can tell he is a having a lot of fun as well and that makes it enjoyable.

I have a lot of fun jacking off and no one's watching me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Have you tried doing so in a house of mirrors?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speaking of Craig, his new show on History is... Alright. Not amazing but it's nice to see him doing his thing again. Needs more gay robot skeleton though :(

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Speaking of Craig, his new show on History is... Alright. Not amazing but it's nice to see him doing his thing again. Needs more gay robot skeleton though :(

Whatever is left of Geoff is probably locked away in a closet somewhere in the CBS studio complex :(

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

This show couldn't get any better. Samantha Bee is ON FIRE! :kingsley:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Ugh, I love this show, but the thing about Sanders talking over Hillary was really disingenuous. I'm no paranoid Clinton-hater, but poo poo like that's just flat-out dishonest.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Majorian posted:

Ugh, I love this show, but the thing about Sanders talking over Hillary was really disingenuous. I'm no paranoid Clinton-hater, but poo poo like that's just flat-out dishonest.

Yeah, I confess it seemed like a reach to me. But I didn't see the debate, just the segment she showed.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Majorian posted:

I think she told it like it is. It can get extremely triggering after years and years of getting the same poo poo over and over again. Especially the finger part.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

meristem posted:

I think she told it like it is. It can get extremely triggering after years and years of getting the same poo poo over and over again. Especially the finger part.

Sure, and it did look terrible out of context. But Clinton was kind of trying to steamroll him, and they are running for president. It kind of feels like Sanders can't get a word in edgewise without being called out as sexist or mansplainy.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
Sure he can. Drop the finger. That's what makes him look so condescending.

I'm speaking from the position of someone who is not a politician and still had to go through a lot of body language coaching. I don't really see why a politician shouldn't, if it calls the attention of a lot of people.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm away from home for the next month due to campaigning, when does tbs post new episodes?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

meristem posted:

Sure he can. Drop the finger. That's what makes him look so condescending.

I'm speaking from the position of someone who is not a politician and still had to go through a lot of body language coaching. I don't really see why a politician shouldn't, if it calls the attention of a lot of people.

That's totally fair; it was pretty poorly handled by Sanders. I don't think it's fair for her surrogates to make as much of it as they have, but he also shouldn't have gotten his head stuck in that particular honeypot either. My wife's an exec at the nonprofit we both work at, and it's one of those things where I can see men who are lower on the totem pole than her pointing fingers at her and using that same body language and interrupting tone of voice, and it quite understandably bothers her (and me, by extension). So I get what you're talking about, even though as a dude I obviously haven't been in that position.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Majorian posted:

That's totally fair; it was pretty poorly handled by Sanders. I don't think it's fair for her surrogates to make as much of it as they have, but he also shouldn't have gotten his head stuck in that particular honeypot either. My wife's an exec at the nonprofit we both work at, and it's one of those things where I can see men who are lower on the totem pole than her pointing fingers at her and using that same body language and interrupting tone of voice, and it quite understandably bothers her (and me, by extension). So I get what you're talking about, even though as a dude I obviously haven't been in that position.
Eh, fwiw, I consider this to be one of those friction incidents which inevitably come up when the culture changes. The correct response is to correct and move on. Sanders is an old grandpa, too, after all, and has the right to be a bit set in his ways - I don't think anyone would care a fraction as much if he were a civilian retiree. It's just that he chose to put himself on the national politics stage, in the run for the Presidency, no less. And that (on the Democratic side, at least, where we're not talking dick and clit sizes) requires some standards.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

meristem posted:

Eh, fwiw, I consider this to be one of those friction incidents which inevitably come up when the culture changes.

Good way of putting it.

I still think it was a little beneath Sam to make hay of it like she did. But it's a comedy show, and I don't always expect to love every joke, so that's the way it goes.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I look at it as a problem with trying to find jokes on both sides. God knows you can't just find comedy in Donald Trump talking about his dick, you gotta poke fun at the Democrats too a little, it's just more difficult mining for the comedy there. I'm actually surprised she didn't make a bit about the "white people don't know what it's like to be poor and live in a ghetto" thing I've seen a bunch of Bernie Bros over at reddit losing their poo poo about.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Majorian posted:

I don't really follow any of that debate stuff so I don't know what it's normally like but she did say that she was pointing it out "as a woman" and as a woman I can totally identify with the whole being interrupted by men thing. It was probably one of my favourite jokes on this episode, yay having a female comedy show presenter!

If that's the only joke that you guys didn't really agree with then that could be why?

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Interesting. I don't think I realized that the finger point was a mansplaining thing. I will learn from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Majorian posted:

Good way of putting it.

I still think it was a little beneath Sam to make hay of it like she did. But it's a comedy show, and I don't always expect to love every joke, so that's the way it goes.
Well, without making hay, how are you guys to know that it gets really, really rage-inducing after a time? 😀 Not everyone has a wife to point that out to them!

Like I said, I think that the correct response is to acknowledge, correct (or at least try to) and move on. Everyone has probably done something they did not know was offensive to someone else in their lives. The key is not to get stuck on anger mode when that happens.

• Locked thread