Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Sorry for the half assed and late GDTs but I'm in Vegas until tomorrow. I'm taking a break in my hotel room after getting about 3 hours of sleep the night before and figured I'd dash something off quick.

There's two very appropriatly named major NJPW shows these next few days. These are the first big shows since the departures of Nakamrua and Styles and it'll be very interesting to see both how the company deals with the situation creatively given their depleted rosterand how badly the loss of two major stars hurt their drawing power.

NEW BEGINNING IN OSAKA
February 11th 2016 at 3 AM EST / 8 AM GMT from Edion Arena #1

David Finlay vs Jay White
Jushin Liger, Tiger Mask and Ryusuke Taguchi vs. CHAOS (Kaushi Sakuraba, Gedo, and YOSHI-HASHI)
TenCozy vs. Yuji Nagata and Manabu Nakanishi
Michael Elgin, KUSHIDA, and Juice Robinson vs. Los Ingobernables (Tetsuya Naito, EVIL, and BUSHI)
NEVER Openweight Trios Title:Toru Yano and the Briscoes(c) vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro, and Tama Tonga)
IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag title:Young Bucks(c) vs. reDRagon vs. Ricochet and Matt Sydal
NEVER Openweight Chalmpionship: Katsuyori Shibata(c) vs. Tomohiro Ishii
Hiroshi X Tanahashi and GBH vs. Bullet Club (MGKA, Doc Gallows, and Kenny Omega)
IWGP Heavyweight Championship: Kazuchika Okada(c) vs. Hirooki Goto

NEW BEGINNING IN NIIGATA
February 14th 2016 at 2 AM EST / 7 AM GMT from Nagaoka Aore

Jushin Liger, Tiger Mask, and Captain New Japan vs. Bullet Club (Young Bucks and Cody Hall)
reDRagon vs. CHAOS (Sakuraba and Gedo)
Ten-Cozy, Matt Sydal, and Ricochet vs. Nagata, Nakanishi, Taguchi, and Flinlay
Michael Elgin and Jay White vs. Los Ingobernables (Naito and EVIL)
Yano and Briscoes vs. Bullet Club (Fale, Yujiro, and Tonga)
Goto, Shibata, and Robinson vs. CHAOS (Okada, Ishii, and YOSHI)
IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship:KUSHIDA(c) vs. BUSHI
IWGP Heavyweight Tag Championship:GBH(c) vs. Bullet Club(MGKA and Gallows)
IWGP Intercontinental ChampionshipHiroshi X Tanahashi vs. Kenny Omega

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Is this the last Gallows/Anderson show, or are they sticking around longer?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

checksin posted:

Is this the last Gallows/Anderson show, or are they sticking around longer?

They're gonna be booked on the Honor Rising ROH crossover shows in Korakuen later in the month and Melzter said that should be their last dates

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Looks like I'm gonna miss this show, unfortunately. What if I miss Goto winning the titl.... hahaha, sorry, I couldn't finish that sentence. :lol:

Please don't let this statement come back to haunt me :ohdear:

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Wait was it always Hiroshi X Tanahashi or is the X new?

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

he knows...
He got the idea from Shelton Benjamin

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

RaceyBucket posted:

Wait was it always Hiroshi X Tanahashi or is the X new?

It's just a dumb joke I'm running with until this show is over. Remember when Shelton Benjamin joined Suzuki-gun as a mystery X partner in 2013 and has used it in his name ever since?

https://twitter.com/SAThauros/status/695375218349441024

Thauros fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 11, 2016

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Didn't realize this was so soon. Luckily it looks like I'll be able to catch this live tonight

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh hey, I thought it was on earlier than this, looks like I won't miss it after all, nice.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Just starting now, for those waiting.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
JUSTICE
LOS
JUSTICE
LOS

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So is Bullet Club still a thing in New Japan? Takahashi is wearing the shirt but I thought they'd changed their names to The Elite now?

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Jerusalem posted:

So is Bullet Club still a thing in New Japan? Takahashi is wearing the shirt but I thought they'd changed their names to The Elite now?

They were still definitely referring to themselves as Bullet Club at the Road to the New Beginning show where they did Nakamura's send-off. THe only reference I've seen to the Elite thing was a tweet by Kenny Omega, which I don't think was actually any kind of announcement of a new name. He was just referring to himself and the other BC members as "the elite."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

unimportantguy posted:

They were still definitely referring to themselves as Bullet Club at the Road to the New Beginning show where they did Nakamura's send-off. THe only reference I've seen to the Elite thing was a tweet by Kenny Omega, which I don't think was actually any kind of announcement of a new name. He was just referring to himself and the other BC members as "the elite."

That said I see the Young Bucks are currently wearing an ELITE t-shirt. Given it's The Young Bucks though, they've probably got the entire dictionary represented on their many shirts.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
ishii and shibata are going to kill each other in the ring

like, they will both collide into each other and the entire arena will explode

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Now hang on a second, Omega, that's actually unfair treatment that will give you an unearned advantage in your match in a couple of days! :aaa:

Edit: Hannibal Goto once ate some liver with fava beans and some nice chianti.... then he choked on it.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 11, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Poor Goto, he's really good but I just don't think he's ever really gonna get much of a shot at either of the main belts while the likes of Okada and Tanahashi are around. Now Shibata seems to be moving up as well, where does that really leave him to go?

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
couldn't watch the osaka show live, trying to avoid seeing the results, what matches are worth watching? don't really give a drat about the main, def gonna watch ishii/shibata because why wouldn't you

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
The junior tag match was the only other one that really stood out to me.

Oh, and Jay White has been looking pretty drat good lately.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

That said I see the Young Bucks are currently wearing an ELITE t-shirt. Given it's The Young Bucks though, they've probably got the entire dictionary represented on their many shirts.

NJPW doesn't give the guys any royalties for bullet club merch so The Elite is something the bucks and kenny can put on t-shirts and sell on their own. It's the same reason Doc and Karl trademarked and sold Bliz Cliz mech

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ParanoidInc posted:

couldn't watch the osaka show live, trying to avoid seeing the results, what matches are worth watching? don't really give a drat about the main, def gonna watch ishii/shibata because why wouldn't you

The last three matches are all good, though nothing really stands out as "must-see".

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

he knows...
Los Ingobernables are my favourite thing in New Japan right now and I am almost certainly the only person who feels this way

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

No you're not, this is easily the best Naito's been ever, and I loving love EVIL

I don't know if I'd call them the best thing in the company, but they're absolutely up there

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Nothing in particular was amazing, but I loved how well the main established Okada being on a completely different level. THE new ace.

Shibata and Ishii need to never wrestle each other again though. Their matches are some kind of parody of pro wrestling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I actually hope Naito gets shifted into the main event heel role, I think he'd be really good there. He also needs to win some matches though, and I don't see Okada losing the title till at least mid-year. Naito and Okada as the heel/face top guys with Shibata taking on the role of older pissed off dude getting involved on both sides would be pretty cool.

Edit: Woah, Naito is 33? I thought he was actually younger than Okada. Holy poo poo Okada is spectacularly good for a guy as young as he is.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
i mean he's been wrestling for 12 years

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Tonfa posted:

Nothing in particular was amazing, but I loved how well the main established Okada being on a completely different level. THE new ace.

Shibata and Ishii need to never wrestle each other again though. Their matches are some kind of parody of pro wrestling.

i disagree, i could happily watch the never belt flit back and forth between the two for the rest of time

just loving sick lariats and unexpected armbars. all i need.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Why would they do a title change at WK and then another one at the next big show? Gedo's tag division booking makes no loving sense.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Finally caught up to this show. Fun and easy to watch but nothing truly great. It's good to see Okada taking over more in the go home promos instead of letting Gedo do most of the work.

Part of me wonders if they should've put the belt on Goto after putting so much focus on his choke jobs and the special outfit.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

checksin posted:

Los Ingobernables are my favourite thing in New Japan right now and I am almost certainly the only person who feels this way

they completely fail to catch my attention any show I watch, I don't know.

Shibata's flying armbar on Ishii is the coolest move I've seen this year

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
They're bums. Naito is still cool though.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Thauros posted:

Finally caught up to this show. Fun and easy to watch but nothing truly great. It's good to see Okada taking over more in the go home promos instead of letting Gedo do most of the work.

Part of me wonders if they should've put the belt on Goto after putting so much focus on his choke jobs and the special outfit.

I feel like the match proved in and out of kayfabe why Goto is never going to be a true top guy. They did all that build and he did next to nothing to reflect the raised stakes and intensity in the match itself.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Tonfa posted:

I feel like the match proved in and out of kayfabe why Goto is never going to be a true top guy. They did all that build and he did next to nothing to reflect the raised stakes and intensity in the match itself.

If were being totally honest the match was good but not great and Goto isnt in the same league in anything. Cool bodypaint though.

The next champion needs to be Ibushi or Shibata. Only other person i can kind of see right now is Elgin. In any event strap in for a long Okada reign.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sigmachiev posted:

If were being totally honest the match was good but not great and Goto isnt in the same league in anything. Cool bodypaint though.

The next champion needs to be Ibushi or Shibata. Only other person i can kind of see right now is Elgin. In any event strap in for a long Okada reign.

I think they could do WK8 all over again with Naito as a clear heel and it could work this time.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Yeah, I could see Naito winning NJC and taking the belt at Invasion Attack. Okada won the championship at Dominion, right? Almost a year is a reasonable length for a reign before doing a switch, and I feel like finally beating Tanahashi at the dome was such a milestone for Okada that he wouldn't be hurt by not holding the top belt for a while.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Grozz Nuy posted:

Yeah, I could see Naito winning NJC and taking the belt at Invasion Attack. Okada won the championship at Dominion, right? Almost a year is a reasonable length for a reign before doing a switch, and I feel like finally beating Tanahashi at the dome was such a milestone for Okada that he wouldn't be hurt by not holding the top belt for a while.

Yeah, the NJC winner's gonna be either him, Tana(would challenge Omega for IC), or Ibushi (if he can come back obv).

I wouldn't mind seeing Tana take the NJC and Naito challenge at Dominion. Osaka always gave post comeback babyface Naito a rough reception and that match could have a ton of heat there.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros posted:

NEW BEGINNING IN NIIGATA
February 14th 2016 at 2 AM EST / 7 AM GMT from Nagaoka Aore

Jushin Liger, Tiger Mask, and Captain New Japan vs. Bullet Club (Young Bucks and Cody Hall)
reDRagon vs. CHAOS (Sakuraba and Gedo)
Ten-Cozy, Matt Sydal, and Ricochet vs. Nagata, Nakanishi, Taguchi, and Flinlay
Michael Elgin and Jay White vs. Los Ingobernables (Naito and EVIL)
Yano and Briscoes vs. Bullet Club (Fale, Yujiro, and Tonga)
Goto, Shibata, and Robinson vs. CHAOS (Okada, Ishii, and YOSHI)
IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship:KUSHIDA(c) vs. BUSHI
IWGP Heavyweight Tag Championship:GBH(c) vs. Bullet Club(MGKA and Gallows)
IWGP Intercontinental ChampionshipHiroshi X Tanahashi vs. Kenny Omega

Reminder that the Niigata show is starting in three and a half hours

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Ahahaha are they really running loving YTR/Briscoes vs BC back to back? Jesus. Maybe Briscoes will turn on Yano, but what reason is there for a back to back match like that.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

Ahahaha are they really running loving YTR/Briscoes vs BC back to back? Jesus. Maybe Briscoes will turn on Yano, but what reason is there for a back to back match like that.

It's now officially for the titles. Maybe they're doing a gimmick where it will be defended on every big show or something? There was also a match for them at New Year's Dash so this is already the fourth match for those belts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Skuraba and Gedo, that's a hell of a team :stare:

Edit:

Gedo looks so much younger than 46!
Gedo takes off bandanna
Gedo looks 46!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 14, 2016

• Locked thread