Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

null_pointer posted:

Yeah, if this woman is alive, she's probably crippled and/or in constant pain. Fuuuuuuck. :(

Guessing what kind of damage she got depending on which part of the face the fork hit is a fun game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

null_pointer posted:

Yeah, if this woman is alive, she's probably crippled and/or in constant pain. Fuuuuuuck. :(

All that because someone didn't back with his lift.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Phanatic posted:

lmao

Gath
Sep 23, 2009
How are there multiple videos of the same thing happening? Do these people just not give a gently caress and leave fork lifts hanging around? What the hell is wrong with riders. They all dont even seem to notice the trucks nevermind forklifts.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Gath posted:

How are there multiple videos of the same thing happening? Do these people just not give a gently caress and leave fork lifts hanging around? What the hell is wrong with riders. They all dont even seem to notice the trucks nevermind forklifts.

We're not as intelligent a species as we like to think ourselves as, especially when it comes to routine stuff. The forklift guy has dropped everything to gently caress with his phone. The scooter lady probably has a tunnel vision, she rides this route everyday and nothing ever happens so who even needs a helmet. Then these two numbskulls meet in the same place at the same time and one of them becomes slightly number.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Gath posted:

After the 5000th time you cheat death driving your scooter down a random Chinese road, the law of averages catches up and you get totally wrecked by something. Like a Bus, or a Forklift (hallowed be thy name), or an open manhole cover, or a sinkhole, or a truck, or a goose. If you're lucky, you live, if you're unlucky you die. If you're REALLY unlucky, you still live, with a face shaped like a C, eating through a tube.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Aren't you supposed to keep the forks low when unloaded, specifically to avoid something like this?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

haveblue posted:

Aren't you supposed to keep the forks low when unloaded, specifically to avoid something like this?

that's a big huge YYYYYYYYYYUP

Phanatic posted:

lmfao

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Phanatic posted:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

haveblue posted:

Yes!

Do idiots heed this?

No!

Also you're not supposed to park your forklift sideways on a route used by other traffic while you focus on your phone. Even if the forks were down there might have been an accident in this position, although it's more likely that the rider would have noticed the obstacle on ground. Damage might have been less severe but you can still hurt yourself really bad by diving head first to pavement with no helmet, and it still would have been on the forklift operator.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I've clipped my head a couple times on the ends of forks I personally left up on a forklift I got out of 10 seconds earlier (the forks were up to raise a large bag rated for lifting by its straps so I could balance the fill and make sure the pallet underneath was centered). It is surprisingly easy to lose track of dark coloured forks into the background when they're in the air even when you know they're right there. Forklifts want to kill you at all times.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i mean if he had to help his buddy out and put a step ladder on the forks to reach a higher location i could understand

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It's possible she hit her jaw first instead of completely crushing her neck. Hard to tell because it looks like she's holding her temples.

Either of them could have easily prevented the accident but only one has to live with the physical consequences :smith:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's possible she hit her jaw first instead of completely crushing her neck. Hard to tell because it looks like she's holding her temples.

Either of them could have easily prevented the accident but only one has to live with the physical consequences :smith:

I'm guessing the head-clutching is from her head bouncing off the concrete.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm guessing the head-clutching is from her head bouncing off the concrete.

Yeah it looks like she moves her hands to the back of her head right after.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'm honestly surprised her head didn't pop off like a bottle cap

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Guyver posted:

Second when people say "lift with your legs" they mean to remove the spinal loading,

That's interesting, because I always thought that it meant "lift with your legs", i.e. use your strong leg muscles to do the lifting (that get a relevant workout every day lifting your upper body) instead of overworking your back muscles (that, unless you specifically train them, are generally only used for stabilization).

It seems weird to invent an entirely new and non-obvious definition and then rant about how the definition you invented is a bad idea?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it makes sense to me. keeping your back straight lets the spine handle the force instead of the lower back muscles, while the legs do the actual lifting. that's always how i think of it

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dTTxdw7Z2c

oops :saddowns:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Only vaguely related to OSHA but I'm about 30k posts behind the Crappy Construction thread and they've probably already seen it and I'm sure whoever installed this doesn't care about OSHA.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Jabor posted:

That's interesting, because I always thought that it meant "lift with your legs", i.e. use your strong leg muscles to do the lifting (that get a relevant workout every day lifting your upper body) instead of overworking your back muscles (that, unless you specifically train them, are generally only used for stabilization).

It seems weird to invent an entirely new and non-obvious definition and then rant about how the definition you invented is a bad idea?

https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Health/pages/conditions.aspx?hwid=hw206944

https://www.google.com/search?q=lift+with+your+legs

Lift with your legs is literally squatting down grabbing something then some how standing back up.

This is not my definition. This is what everyone who uses it or tells you not to lift with your back means. And it's insane and wrong.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Guyver posted:

https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Health/pages/conditions.aspx?hwid=hw206944

https://www.google.com/search?q=lift+with+your+legs

Lift with your legs is literally squatting down grabbing something then some how standing back up.

This is not my definition. This is what everyone who uses it or tells you not to lift with your back means. And it's insane and wrong.

Nobody cares. Post OSHA.

https://i.imgur.com/zzeSiXr.mp4

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah shut the hell up noone cares about how much you need to be right about lifting

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 22, 2019

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
the desire path theory of safety signage

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Kibayasu posted:

I've clipped my head a couple times on the ends of forks I personally left up on a forklift I got out of 10 seconds earlier (the forks were up to raise a large bag rated for lifting by its straps so I could balance the fill and make sure the pallet underneath was centered). It is surprisingly easy to lose track of dark coloured forks into the background when they're in the air even when you know they're right there. Forklifts want to kill you at all times.

Pretty much everything on an aircraft carrier is an OSHA adventure, but this reminded me of one of the worst bits: hangar bay FOD walkdown.

Every day the crew gets together to walk through the hangar bay looking for foreign object debris (FOD), i.e. loose bolts on the ground or other bits and pieces that could get sucked into an engine or get blasted around by jet exhaust and do major damage. This involves having everyone line up shoulder to shoulder at one end and walk to the other looking at the ground.

Also present in the hangar bay: a bunch of aircraft. And it just so happens that there are a lot of parts on the F-18 that are right at forehead level, like the wings, tail, and weapon racks. So you have a bunch of people walking around looking at the floor (often in poor lighting) directly towards head-level protrusions everywhere. I don't think anyone has ever done that for more than a week before cracking their skull on a wayward fin.

Planes that are in long-term maintenance often have foam pool noodles fitted over the sharper bits on the tail to help avoid injury, but ones that are just temporarily stashed in the hangar for the day usually don't.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Pretty much everything on an aircraft carrier is an OSHA adventure

My friends dad had some horrible stories about serving on an aircraft carrier, I can't remember specifics but I think he considered himself lucky he only saw one person horribly maimed during his tour.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Pretty much everything on an aircraft carrier is an OSHA adventure

Nothing quite like nearly walking face-first into an exposed pitot tube!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Pretty much everything on an aircraft carrier is an OSHA adventure, but this reminded me of one of the worst bits: hangar bay FOD walkdown.

Every day the crew gets together to walk through the hangar bay looking for foreign object debris (FOD), i.e. loose bolts on the ground or other bits and pieces that could get sucked into an engine or get blasted around by jet exhaust and do major damage. This involves having everyone line up shoulder to shoulder at one end and walk to the other looking at the ground.

Also present in the hangar bay: a bunch of aircraft. And it just so happens that there are a lot of parts on the F-18 that are right at forehead level, like the wings, tail, and weapon racks. So you have a bunch of people walking around looking at the floor (often in poor lighting) directly towards head-level protrusions everywhere. I don't think anyone has ever done that for more than a week before cracking their skull on a wayward fin.

Planes that are in long-term maintenance often have foam pool noodles fitted over the sharper bits on the tail to help avoid injury, but ones that are just temporarily stashed in the hangar for the day usually don't.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Nothing quite like nearly walking face-first into an exposed pitot tube!

Nothing quite like doing FOD walkdown on the flight deck (or moving on the flight deck at night) and walking headfirst into a missile fin. Wear your cranials!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/FZzjg8L.mp4

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Aircraft talk got me reminiscing about my close calls in the Air Force. One time I was doing an eddy current inspection on some F-15 aileron hinges, which required me to stick my fingers in between the wing and aileron (which was hanging down as far as it could go without pulling out the pins or whatever). While I was doing this I could hear the AGE folks spinning up the mule for some hydraulics tests (or whatever they do with it), and I was like "I better hurry, but they always have someone do a quick walk around and call out before they actuate any flight controls" so it was on my radar I wasn't too concerned.

Nobody called anything out, and literally like 1 or 2 seconds after I pulled my fingers out, the ailerons snapped up to level flight position with a loud bang. If I'd been a little slower I'd be shitposting at half speed today

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:aaaaa:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I was cleaning out my phone and found this pic I took at work:

Dwight is the kind of forklift driver that would wear one of the shirts posted ITT

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

lol I better pull over right next to this here hole, get out and ... welp gently caress it, that moron already drove into it and is now the warning to others that the road hunger for steel and flesh.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

glynnenstein posted:

Sounds like a Northern Virginia developer using underage labor got a kid killed in an un-shored trench (news link). Not many details.

Followup on this from 150 or so pages ago... A Northern Virginia developer has been charged in connection with the death of a 16-year-old employee, who was killed while working on a job site for the man’s company over the summer, Fairfax County police said Thursday.

I'm sure it was going to be a wonderful McMansion.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Be thankful you're not FOD-walking around F-104s. You'd give yourself brain surgery.

Or flying F-104s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWRH4P1HDcA&t=27s

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Gath posted:

What the hell is wrong with riders. They all dont even seem to notice the trucks nevermind forklifts.

I'm pretty sure sitting on a scooter immediately reduces your intelligence by at least 25%.

Source: I live in a college town filled with scooter swarms.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Only vaguely related to OSHA but I'm about 30k posts behind the Crappy Construction thread and they've probably already seen it and I'm sure whoever installed this doesn't care about OSHA.

:psyduck:

I'm almost certainly stating the obvious here, but one of the bathroom's in my parents' house has a setup like the bottom three knobs—I think it even used the same faucet knobs—which was a fairly sane [cold water - tub/shower - hot water] configuration. The other two knobs makes no sense, yet now I really want to know what they do.

:aaaaa: Sinkholes are definitely among my worst fears, and it's good to know that a truck can just lay them upon a road like a loving episode of Looney Tunes.

pseudorandom fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 22, 2019

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

pseudorandom posted:

I'm almost certainly stating the obvious here, but one of the bathroom's in my parents' house has a setup like the bottom three knobs—I think it even used the same faucet knobs—which was a fairly sane [cold water - tub/shower - hot water] configuration. The other two knobs makes no sense, yet now I really want to know what they do.

One is for sweetened and the other is unsweetened

Duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Last time I saw one of these, it was for a lateral sprayer set (the upper ones); basically, shower heads coming out of the walls sideways, at about diaphragm height. Sort of a 50s-60s take on a shower Jacuzzi.