Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Nude posted:

Can confirm it broke my table. But I don't mind. Let me see if timg works.
http://i.imgur.com/ZjcXzaK.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/8iR01IB.gifv

Edit: Nope. No it doesn't.

drat on the second clip it looks like some guy was on the end of the first one that fell, unless I am imagining that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I imagine its the block and tackle

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

calvus posted:

drat on the second clip it looks like some guy was on the end of the first one that fell, unless I am imagining that

Luckily you are.

Vertikal News posted:

miraculously no one was hurt or injured.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwOFYzEpocQ

Construction worker not properly harnessed to a safety line. Unbelievably lucky, that jump to the bottom ledge was crazy.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Phone posting so sorry for errors and poo poo

Theres some OSHA rear end poo poo happening at work right now. One of the general managers told the guy who runs one of our plants that he could skip a safetly meeting yesterday so he could keep the plant running. This morning, one of our pallet elevators in the same plant broke down because they jury rigged a retarded brake for it. That broke and a 400 lbs steel pallet was left dangling 2 stories up and all the products were lost. Now there are 5 dudes working on fixing it and one of them is just a forklift driver with no formal training and none of the machines theyre working on have been deenergized. Our master electrician is throwing a fit and going to hr. Congress passed a law saying that osha fines can scale with inflation now so it could cost the company hundreds of thousands of dollars if they don't shape up. Meanwhile, I'm quality so I don't have to do poo poo except wait for them to fix it so I get to lean back in my chair all day.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
/\/\/\Holy poo poo, mate.

I don't know if this counts because I have no idea what I' looking at.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I'm pretty sure that's a Decepticon.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
a hot babe with a rich ceo?

or the monument to liebherr made of two cranes and the base to a larger crane?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Now I remember the name. It's the company that did this:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

http://www.mammoet.com/

these guys have 2 yards near where I often work so I see their very large cranes and counter weights get moved around.

it still amazes me how mobile some of their absolutely massive cranes are

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m00Sk0XBcTY

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I used to work at the worlds shadiest lumber yard. I worked it over a summer during college, and they gave me no formal fork lift training other than "here's what the levers do, don't break anything".

Now that might be fine if these were somewhat normal forklifts, but they weren't, they were massive machines with 3-speed manual transmissions (clutch included!) that were capable of 25+ mph and contained GM 3.8L V6 engines running propane.

They were fun, but man, looking back, that was dangerous.

This is also the same yard that made me do deliveries in a semi truck (complete with piggyback forklift, making it even longer than a normal semi) with no experience beyond "I can drive stick" and no cdl. I actually refused to do deliveries after a couple times because I never felt safe. The first time I took it anywhere I couldn't figure out how to shut it off because I didn't know you had to choke the motor to stop it.

After that I did smaller deliveries in the Chevy stake truck

OSHA :psypop:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I think this may count as OSHA: https://www.facebook.com/131376260352637/videos/585409658282626/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

'Escape from the Planet of the Apes' remake looking good

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Sad he is coming back, he has taken a lot of amazing photos from the space station

https://twitter.com/StationCDRKelly

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I got through page 1 of this thread before I realized I didn't take joy from watching people hurt themselves, potentially seriously.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm gonna pretend that these are all high paid stock brokers and hedge fund managers.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I got through page 1 of this thread before I realized I didn't take joy from watching people hurt themselves, potentially seriously.

Did you post on page 6 after reading to the end because you enjoy watching people hurt other people, potentially seriously?

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006

HOLY gently caress MY GABAGOOL gently caress HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5fmz5XdGq4

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Thank u and God bless for sharing this valuable insight

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-vUeAXjQTw&t=595s

(Make sure you're around 9:30 in to start, you'll know when you're past the interesting part.)

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 26, 2016

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

For those who don't care to watch them futz around for 15 minutes, they try some bullshit, like battery shorting and lenses (a real lense works, surprise surprise (a lense made of piss in a bag doesn't)), then mix brake fluid and chlorine to get the money shot.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Gorilla Salad posted:

/\/\/\Holy poo poo, mate.

I don't know if this counts because I have no idea what I' looking at.

I'm assuming that the trucks lower for transporting the thing so the treads don't tear the poo poo out of the pavement?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I used to work at the worlds shadiest lumber yard. I worked it over a summer during college, and they gave me no formal fork lift training other than "here's what the levers do, don't break anything".

Now that might be fine if these were somewhat normal forklifts, but they weren't, they were massive machines with 3-speed manual transmissions (clutch included!) that were capable of 25+ mph and contained GM 3.8L V6 engines running propane.

They were fun, but man, looking back, that was dangerous.

I consider myself a pretty good forklift driver and decent with a stick shift in a car but the thought of combining those two things sounds like it would require a good amount of multi-tasking.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

FIRST TIME posted:

I'm assuming that the trucks lower for transporting the thing so the treads don't tear the poo poo out of the pavement?

Pretty sure that's an advertisement stunt and/or "art piece".

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

FIRST TIME posted:

I think it is more of a, "Look what our cranes can do" sort of thing.

Similar to these events!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FIRST TIME posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMMmS2wNJ08

quote:

Now look at this! The Liebherr experts show their skills: two mobile cranes LTM 1750-9.1 are mounted on the body of an LR 11000 crawler crane, and they are turning around of course. Looks like a beast from the Transformers movie!

So it's two of these:

Mounted on the body of one of these:

Here's a video of that multi-crane stunt photo Gorilla Salad posted earlier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBj38Hyg6JY

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 26, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

For those who don't care to watch them futz around for 15 minutes, they try some bullshit, like battery shorting and lenses (a real lense works, surprise surprise (a lense made of piss in a bag doesn't)), then mix brake fluid and chlorine to get the money shot.

Welp. I pasted it in at the right point. Thanks. It's 9 minutes and change in.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Welp. I pasted it in at the right point. Thanks. It's 9 minutes and change in.

Ah, sorry. Didn't notice, because my first step was to copy the url to watch it in another browser.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

He's got his tag so he's good to go

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FIRST TIME posted:

I consider myself a pretty good forklift driver and decent with a stick shift in a car but the thought of combining those two things sounds like it would require a good amount of multi-tasking.

Yeah it was a steep learning curve. One of the first jobs they had me do was unload 20ft bundles of treated lumber off an enclosed train car, which involved going up and down an incline with like the heaviest lumber load you can have.

Any time you were on an incline it was a nightmare to work the forks and keep the thing where you wanted it with the brake and the clutch. I got really good at holding the clutch, and heel-toeing the brake and throttle because of course the idle was set too low for them to lift more than 10lbs at idle speed.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah it was a steep learning curve. One of the first jobs they had me do was unload 20ft bundles of treated lumber off an enclosed train car, which involved going up and down an incline with like the heaviest lumber load you can have.

Any time you were on an incline it was a nightmare to work the forks and keep the thing where you wanted it with the brake and the clutch. I got really good at holding the clutch, and heel-toeing the brake and throttle because of course the idle was set too low for them to lift more than 10lbs at idle speed.

The first summer I worked at the lumber yard they had me take a pallet and a half of shingles down the street and lift them up to the roof of a 2 storey house. This was an older house, so the first floor had 10' ceilings. I got as close as I could and lifted the load straight up. The guy on the roof then wanted me to tilt the load forwards to it was easier to reach. I told them I was afraid that I would put a hole through the house roof as it would move too fast. The roofer and the owner said it was ok, and the owner of the lumber yard confirmed over the phone that I could do it. I literally pushed forwards on the lever to tilt the load forwards with the edges of my two thumbs to that I could let the lever spring loose with the least amount of reaction time. I moved the lever all the way until there was resistance with the hydraulic mechanism, then continued at a fraction of a mm at a time. When it engaged the load sprung ahead 3' and the back tires of the forklift leapt a few inches off the ground. The roofer said I missed hitting the roof by a margin he couldn't even see.

In retrospect, I should have just told the lumber yard owner to do it himself.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48UyQtYYuUM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfBp2QYOIbc

I imagine a widowmaker from a redwood would be similar to this. Just a faint swooshing noise and then the sound of it landing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
jeez louise

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Celebrating 88 years of OSHA

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

H110Hawk posted:

I never know if table breaking is still bannable.

When I was in college I briefly worked the nightshift at an absolutely massive Johnson & Johnson's warehouse, driving one of those little stand up forklifts. Even the little ones have a massive amount of weight and power behind them. Looking back on it it seems almost criminal that they'd let total retard temp agency hires run one after 8 hours of safety training.

These were electric so they had these massive 1200 pound batteries that you had to swap in and out. They also had a battery disconnect mounted prominently on an exterior side. During the three or so weeks I worked there someone "pranked" another employee by swatting the battery disconnect while he was driving by him at 15 mph. This has the effect of making the forklift unbrakeable (by the normal method, you could still engage the emergency brake (a deadman's pedal) but the regular method of braking was basically just pulling back on the joystick, i.e. running the electric motor in reverse). Guy forgot about the emergency brake and plowed into the side of a 40' high three story rack full of tampons, at 13 mph. It was loving amazing.

Any time you had "metal on metal" contact (i.e. running into something accidentally) you were supposed to report it, but I, like everyone else, would just get out, rub some grease on the fresh metal scar, and pretend like it never happened.

It was the best job I've ever had.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
osha sammich for lunch

http://i.imgur.com/lHCW7N3.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone