Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

guys i might be wrong here but i don't think the chinese woman starved to death, she died of thirst within a week

anyway time to go sperg in my dreams happy sunday everybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

calvus posted:

Is that normal to have so many violations?

It's the first time I've seen it, it's not a yearly inspection either. They were all "corrected" with immediate action which waved the charge. We had to sign some paperwork that we acknowledged how to safely use these giant slots that we drop full pallets of product into, it has one immediately behind it that will slide forward when the front pallet is emptied and removed (by hand). This posed a hazard that somebody would get pinned between the pallet and the scaffolding that keeps it at an incline. I guess it works like food inspections here in the US, they show up when they want to and if you can fix the problem on the spot they don't shut you down.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

The part of the story I don't get is if the elevator car was on the first floor then how did she die without anybody noticing? Didn't they hear her banging on the door, or did everyone walking past just think "not my problem"?

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Ivor Biggun posted:

The part of the story I don't get is if the elevator car was on the first floor then how did she die without anybody noticing? Didn't they hear her banging on the door, or did everyone walking past just think "not my problem"?

The elevator was shut down just before Chinese New Year, which is basically Spring Break, but applies to everyone and lasts longer.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Terminal Entropy posted:

The elevator was shut down just before Chinese New Year, which is basically Spring Break, but applies to everyone and lasts longer.

quote:

A resident of the apartment complex, surnamed Ding, told Sohu News that the building management service was poor and routinely ignored residents’ complaints about the frequently broken elevators and other matters.

“There’s now a shadow across my heart. It’s scary, and it gives me shivers to pass by” that part of the building, the resident said. “To think of this happening in one’s own building.”

It was an apartment complex, why would that be completely empty for Chinese New Year?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Ivor Biggun posted:

It was an apartment complex, why would that be completely empty for Chinese New Year?

People don't stay home for Chinese New Year.

Think thanksgiving plus Christmas plus Easter plus spring break, minus Black Friday. You will not get gently caress all done in China over CNY. Factories shut down. poo poo even eBay has a standard warning saying "hey the poo poo you ordered is probably going to be a month late, it's CNY right now."

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAOoiIkFQq4

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ivor Biggun posted:

Everyone leaves the cities and goes back to their hometowns.

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
if u want to

idc really

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Everyone leaves the cities and goes back to their hometowns.

do u think any chinese born in city

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ivor Biggun posted:

No why

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

calvus posted:

Is that normal to have so many violations?

I can't speak for OSHA, but I can for MSHA violations. And the answer is yes. The majority of violations will be little things that can be fixed in under an hour, and they will be. Then you get some fines that are pretty serious, but the company will fight tooth and nail to not pay. Then if you're really unlucky you get some massive fines that can shut the entire place down until it gets fixed.

I don't know if it's the same for OSHA, but a few years ago MSHA moved to be entirely self funded with funds that come from collecting on violations. So the more they can stick you with, the better it is for them.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

do u think any chinese born in city

they swim upstream to spawn like the mighty salmon

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Sammus posted:

I can't speak for OSHA, but I can for MSHA violations. And the answer is yes. The majority of violations will be little things that can be fixed in under an hour, and they will be. Then you get some fines that are pretty serious, but the company will fight tooth and nail to not pay. Then if you're really unlucky you get some massive fines that can shut the entire place down until it gets fixed.

I don't know if it's the same for OSHA, but a few years ago MSHA moved to be entirely self funded with funds that come from collecting on violations. So the more they can stick you with, the better it is for them.

I can speak to the OSHA violations based on job experiences with larger government contractors over the past 15 years.
It's quite common to get hit with multiple violations. I'd be more surprised if someone got away with fewer than 20 of them. OSHA has many finely grained violations and categories. That makes it really easy for an inspector - who is there for just that reason - to find something, anything, pretty much anywhere.
The few OSHA inspections I can remember always resulted in 35-100 violations. That's for rather large working environments, though - several hundred square miles big and a few thousand workers. An inspector would only pick one building/job site at a time, though.

The attitude is this: Pretty much anything can be made even safer. Or at least more tedious.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
http://loweringthebar.net/2016/03/has-your-boss-ever.html

I haven't finished reading it yet, I apologize as there are no pictures, but it involves sworn testimony about "pranks" involving acetylene.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Great read so far.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAy9LAhoKdA

Can we post more happy-ending OSHA please?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

H110Hawk posted:

I haven't finished reading it yet, I apologize as there are no pictures, but it involves sworn testimony about "pranks" involving acetylene.

This is amazing. From the questioning of the boss, it seems clear that 'fireable offenses' are anything that the Boss has not done himself. "Not-fireable offsenses", on the other hand, are clearly all poo poo he's done before.

Setting fires on purpose? No biggie.
Small explosions? Don't worry about it.
making GBS threads in a co-workers lunch box? Look, these pranks happen literally everywhere.
making GBS threads in the direction of a co-worker during field work? It might be fireable, but only if it goes on for a while.

Not properly communicating with the boss about those explosions? YOU'RE FIRED!!!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAy9LAhoKdA

Of course he's rocking a bottle of Fireball.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Mithaldu posted:

Great read so far.

That may qualify as a safety hazard

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

calvus posted:

That may qualify as a safety hazard

Not a firable offense though. Only talking back is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/jgctOms.gifv

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
I saw this in another thread and just want to commend their safety conscious conduct.
Safety glasses on, tight and ergonomic grip on the iron, this is how you OSHA.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

suffix posted:

I saw this in another thread and just want to commend their safety conscious conduct.

They should be under fume hoods for soldering. Lady in the green shirt is terribly under-dressed for the job.
I don't see ground planes and/or wrist straps.

5/10

Edit:

quote:

Also they are holding the hot metal part of the iron.

lol how did I miss that.

2/20

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 8, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TotalLossBrain posted:

They should be under fume hoods for soldering. Lady in the green shirt is terribly under-dressed for the job.

5/10

Worker cannot see or operate controls from this angle.

Featureless white voids are disorienting, hindering evacuation.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

5/10

Who the f wastes there time fixing lovely mb's

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Also they are holding the hot metal part of the iron.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

:laffo:

good bear

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Featureless white voids are disorienting, hindering evacuation.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 21, 2017

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

H110Hawk posted:

pro-click

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

what was this? it got removed

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
double post

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwdNy6cveL4

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

tis a good day not to be a building demolisher.

suffix posted:

The girl on the right with the strongest grip appears to be repairing circuitry in a day-care...

i am harry fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 8, 2016

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

well that covers a few bases

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

Here it is, we got fined $29,995 for mostly minor things, such as stairwells on scaffolding that have no guardrails.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That fine is easily offset by the years wages of a worker who dies in a grizzly accident, no prob.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Sammus posted:

Which mine are you with? I work for Joy Global Underground.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

kizudarake posted:

Which mine are you with? I work for Joy Global Underground.

Fun bit: msha does mines as well as rock quarries. Anytime something comes out of the ground really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DemeaninDemon posted:

Fun bit: msha does mines as well as rock quarries. Anytime something comes out of the ground really.

Not oil and gas, AFAIK.