Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

Dumb engineers.

Heard one wanted to heat-stress test their doodad and asked to stick it in the ICP-OES torch. Like it was a Bunsen burner or something. Thing's around the temperature of the surface of the sun. It's one purpose in life is to obliterate any matter it touches. No we do not want your poo poo all over the icp chamber.

What does it do to bone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

What does it do to bone

The same thing it does to everything else, I would imagine

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
I'm sure they think the local version of osha is more of a suggestion.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Alien Arcana posted:

The same thing it does to everything else, I would imagine

How about teeth/fillings

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Pinguliten posted:

I'm sure they think the local version of osha is more of a suggestion.

They probably just think its a silly idea

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

How about teeth/fillings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw5ipq4P624

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

Dumb engineers.

Heard one wanted to heat-stress test their doodad and asked to stick it in the ICP-OES torch. Like it was a Bunsen burner or something. Thing's around the temperature of the surface of the sun. It's one purpose in life is to obliterate any matter it touches. No we do not want your poo poo all over the icp chamber.

What the gently caress? Does he have no idea how that thing actually works? Best case scenario, this burns out the RF generator and costs $10k+ to fix, right? I would offer to run his dumb thing through the machine, but properly prepare the sample first by dissolving it in an appropriate acid solution. Return him the spectrographic analysis and call it a day.

For everyone else: an ICP-OES is an inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometer. The "torch" is made by pumping argon through a quartz tube and creating an arc through it with a high voltage. The resulting plasma is then fed by a helical RF coil surrounding the tube, which basically turns the tube into a cylindrical microwave oven. The argon plasma inside the tube is hilariously hot, which owns.

To do the actual spectroscopy part, you feed a dilute sample contained in an aqueous or organic solution, which is fed via peristalsis pump into a nebulizer that injects a fine spray of it into the plasma torch. The heat of the plasma breaks a lot of those dumb molecular bonds, and causes the constituent atoms to shine in their respective energy spectra. There is a spectrometer pointed at the torch, which captures the emitted light and determines its energy spectrum, and by comparing it to the spectrum of a reference sample you can determine the atomic composition of your sample.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 3, 2016

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

excellent there's no way anybody's going to be able to check a dental record with that

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

What does it do to bone

We could find out but, as pointed out, we'd have to prepare the bone for analysis in an appropriate solvent. I suggest dissolving it in HF.

The thing probably wouldn't even stay lit long enough to toss something in it, sadly. Not to mention the safety switch on the door that turns it off.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
Induced a pretty dumbass OSHA moment this evening… Drove my GF home and saw that her father’s car was stuck in the snowbank in the front of the driveway (I think he got a bit too lazy to shovel and figured he could just force the car in). I have a set of something called traction aids in my car which are metal crampons you put behind or in front the wheels to help the car get traction when it’s stuck.

As the driveway is full of snow, her father is trying to back the car out - As such I place the traction aids in back of the front wheels (front wheel drive car with no limited slip differential). I try my best to ensure that the crampons are placed firmly in the snow / ice and proceed to push the front of the car to help it out. Her father doesn’t exactly feather the gas, and one of the crampons ends up becoming a projectile flying towards me at a pretty significant velocity landing 30 feet away. That crampon weighs approximately 5 pounds and grazes my thigh a few inches above the knee. No major damage other than ripped pants, some cuts and a solid bruise but I’m thinking this could easily shatter some bones / knee caps if it hits someone with full impact. Stupid and careless moment on my part, but I’ve never had them move out more than a foot or two before (nor been stupid enough to stand in the line of sight...).

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

We could find out but, as pointed out, we'd have to prepare the bone for analysis in an appropriate solvent. I suggest dissolving it in HF.

The thing probably wouldn't even stay lit long enough to toss something in it, sadly. Not to mention the safety switch on the door that turns it off.

i mean, probably could if you set it up before starting the torch. You could attach the (small) sample to the end of the injector, but it would break off once the torch destroyed whatever was holding it to the injector. You could also just toss it in the tube itself, but that might shatter the tube, since that would create a hotspot on the inner surface.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
"Narrowly avoided injury? Throw up the horns, hail satan."

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

count_von_count posted:

Oh please, the sun's surface temperature is like 5,800 K.

:stare:
I thought there was some exaggeration going on there too but apparently not, holy crap.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

That's a stupid qualifier. The sun's surface is only ~6,000C, but the sun is ~15,000,000C at its core and ~1,000,000C+ in its corona (which surrounds the sun and extends millions of km into space). The sun's surface is the coolest part of or anywhere around the sun by orders of magnitude. To imply that the torch comes anywhere close to the heat of the sun just to get people to go "wow that's hot!!!" is pretty misleading imo.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
it'll still evaporate literally any matter we know about; that's good enough for me.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ruggan posted:

That's a stupid qualifier. The sun's surface is only ~6,000C, but the sun is ~15,000,000C at its core and ~1,000,000C+ in its corona (which surrounds the sun and extends millions of km into space). The sun's surface is the coolest part of or anywhere around the sun by orders of magnitude. To imply that the torch comes anywhere close to the heat of the sun just to get people to go "wow that's hot!!!" is pretty misleading imo.
But it was literally the surface of the sun referenced, not the inside. You're actually mad that what he posted was true.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Yawgmoth posted:

But it was literally the surface of the sun referenced, not the inside. You're actually mad that what he posted was true.

:agreed:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Ruggan posted:

Nerd.

poo poo'll still make carbon its bitch.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Nerd.

poo poo'll still make carbon its bitch.

The richest man in the homeless shelter makes as much money as I did when I was 16!!!!

Maybe that's not saying much... Ya he's pretty poor, but he can still afford that Mickey Ds

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DemeaninDemon posted:

Dumb engineers.

lol, I guess she either didn't know what the P stands for or has a pretty vague grasp on the different states matter can exist in.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ruggan posted:

FYI, 6000C is still pretty hot.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ruggan posted:

The richest man in the homeless shelter makes as much money as I did when I was 16!!!!

Maybe that's not saying much... Ya he's pretty poor, but he can still afford that Mickey Ds

That was the shittiest analogy ever.

youre an engineer, aren't you?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Ruggan posted:

You sound like someone who sucks to work with so yeah engineer.

We have these face shields at work.

The dumb thing covers my chin but not neck. The gown also leaves the neck open. Yeah I'm sticking to the standard pull down face shield for reagents that want to kill me OK thanks. Though it's cool being Darth Quimicius.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Not an engineer, just here to get into petty arguments

Namaste

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

FrankieGoes posted:

That was the shittiest analogy ever.

youre an engineer, aren't you?

I just printed this post and put it into the ICP-OES... trace elements of poop

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
http://i.imgur.com/IaRD8pD.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/hAIQhgF.gifv
The one guy who claps makes it.

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

DemeaninDemon posted:

You sound like someone who sucks to work with so yeah engineer.

We have these face shields at work.

The dumb thing covers my chin but not neck. The gown also leaves the neck open. Yeah I'm sticking to the standard pull down face shield for reagents that want to kill me OK thanks. Though it's cool being Darth Quimicius.

That's what your neckbeard's for, stupid.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Nude posted:

http://i.imgur.com/hAIQhgF.gifv
The one guy who claps makes it.

wanna ride that rightmost tower down

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My favorite part is that all of them (even the little girl) realize what's about to happen and run....except for that one chick, who has to turn a full 360 degrees wondering where everyone's gone before following them.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Jesus, I feel the wires snapping down at that force could have sliced someone clean in half.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo

Parody, I know, but relevant.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
speaking of fucklifts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LqrjlqKhoQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfZOH9zck1g
:gonk: the guy who walks UNDER the teetering crate...

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 4, 2016

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Forklift drivers: more scary than plasma torches.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
There's people who kill themselves with forklifts, and then there's people who wield it like a jedi wields the force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR5xvBYJB0A

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
i get to drive our yards big diesel powered forklift around the yard with no real formal training. I'm also an operator so I'm expected to know how to use it. I don't really use it much unless we need to load a skid of bentonite (sorta as hazardous as asbestos, silicate crystals) or lifting big reamers out the back of our chase truck.

fork lift drivers that work in factories and poo poo though are crazy. i know they want maximum productivity but most of the time I see them theyre in such a god drat rush its probably dangerous

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
reamers hehe

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

reamer, those plates are probably an inch thick and the OD of the reamer is probably 18"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Name sounds like a buttplug, looks like a buttplug.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hot Karl Marx posted:

i get to drive our yards big diesel powered forklift around the yard with no real formal training. I'm also an operator so I'm expected to know how to use it. I don't really use it much unless we need to load a skid of bentonite (sorta as hazardous as asbestos, silicate crystals) or lifting big reamers out the back of our chase truck.

fork lift drivers that work in factories and poo poo though are crazy. i know they want maximum productivity but most of the time I see them theyre in such a god drat rush its probably dangerous

Yeah, at the training institute I work at our books on overhead cranes and forklifts emphasize that one of the reasons they're so dangerous is because their simplicity encourages business owners to put untrained or informally trained operators ("Just hit this lever to hoist it up, call me if you can't figure it out" on his first day of work) to work on the machines, and then inevitably the completely clueless forklift driver or crane operator gets the blame when they drop something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Kilo147 posted:

wanna ride that rightmost tower down

I wonder if that was supposed to happen