Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The drunk truck driver fled the scene it's still assumed that a dog drove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

I had to think of one thing from the last thread that would be worth a re-mention. I remembered the Dawson Mine incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXU0jiBQfG0

"The springs on the second mechanism fell apart on removal. This was a stage-gate decision point where the work should have been stopped."

The next stage that should have made them want to stop was the fact that the mechanism was actively trying not to be removed.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tha gently caress? What? I can't.. What particularly is going on over here? It looks like there was a mineshaft below a patio and then it collapsed into said sinkhole.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

This made my heart skip a beat.

http://i.imgur.com/kqMGt8N.gifv

This is a good display as to why you wear a harness even if "I walk around all day on these things and never have a problem"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nah I fully believe forklift

Hey doods get farkleft fram wark and we lift it up.
*Not done before work*
I know we use tanks to hald up.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm the fat guy eating wile the guy screams.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I dunno man. I made a post about it a while back when I first started working with that surge tester and was curious how dangerous it was. A ton of people have gotten shocked by it at work, and supposedly it's not too dangerous, at least what the people at work say. The high potential testing machine we have has all this poo poo that you have to cordon off and turn a flashing light on, and only the higher ups are able to use it because it apparently is capable of killing. It's weird they'd go through that trouble just to let all the regular workers use the normal machine if it was so dangerous. Either way, I'm not going to use it with 2 people anymore, only by myself when I'm in control of it. I could be wrong, I don't know, I'm not a scientist, but like I said I'm not going to do it while trusting another person to work it while I move the clamps around.

It takes .1-.2 amps across the heart to stop it, that ain't much.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 1, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

nope, no nope, no, no, nope, nope, no, that's just a joke, someone did that to take a joke picture.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

rear end in a top hat you stole my reddit repost

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd gently caress with him and pop a bag put of his sight line and then watch his pants get soiled.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh my god, what the Christ, I mean.. it's not even saf... why would you do... it hurts
Like you can get the good ole standard craftsman RAS for about $200 on craigslist and keep all your body parts. I guess to some body parts are worth less than that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Damnit Jim I'm a chemistry teacher not a physics teacher.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I want to cry watching that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Mozi posted:

one crane, two crane
red crane, blue crane
one slip, big stain
watch out, a brain

Nice

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Wires that were seriously nicked by the dumbass stripping the insulation off it. A very likely point of failure in the near future, especially if that set of wires experiences any motion. And then you have live conductors just having off into space.

Edit: Also it looks like one of them doesn't even go into the terminal block and stops just short of it.

No.. If I look it looks like they jammed 2 wires together to make the connection because it wouldn't fit through the hole in the J box.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I just don't know what's on the other side of there.. If it's going right into a terminal I can understand that.. but if it's still got a run to go they had to re-connect it together somewhere because if it's too big to fit you need to cut the wire then slim it down then try and get it through, then reconnect because slimming a 2 inch section wont' work if you cant fit anything else in the hole.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

As we're posting some oldies, this came up in the AI Mechanical Failures thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1MnXkHhlM

Stationary engine nerds are a whole safety thread by themselves.

first of all this monster should have been secured better,
second this had to be the most terrifying 2 min of this guys life.. I was waiting for a finger to get lost or something.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

I was waiting for the tank of acetylene getting pushed around by the flywheel to rupture.

yeah I was really excited when I heard that thing starting to get ground on by the big rear end flywheel.

really if you search "runaway diesel" on youtube you can lose hours of your workday, so go forth and be unproductive.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

razak posted:

Well... There goes the rest of my day. Productivity ruined.

I'm pretty sure someone somewhere tries to use a phone book and it doesn't' work..

Jabor posted:

You'd think a basic safety procedure would be to have some sort of load attached to it, so that if it starts to run away you can channel that torque into something that isn't "accelerate beyond rated speed".
or also have things around to block off the airflow instead of a solo cup or something.

Edit: poo poo I was trying not to watch these videos on the youtube now I"m losing my workday.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Awesome.jpg

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Becsuse as a homeowner I use a multimeter about twice a year, $200 is a lot for a tool thst gets used very little.
What I Do is make sure when I deal with electron piping that I am careful and mindful of what I am doing and 2x check any equipment or things I touch to live items.. I make sure my probes are in the right spot and my switch is in the right area. I also inform my wife that the main breaker is here and if I'm in distress she needs to flip it, and under no circumstances is she to grab me becsuse that won't solve aything.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Agreed, if I was dealing with 750v I'd be sure to make sure I"m using a tester that wont blow up in my face, and was worth some money.
If the fuse is rated at 250v how can they safely say that the meter is good for 750v? I'd think that UL or similar would have an issue with that, yes it's not DESGINED to be used in that mode when measuring voltage, but it can easily happen.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

someone probably not going to be a forklift operator anymore.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

Fake, probably.

yeah you can see him jump prior to actually dropping the block of concrete.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

They should have put a board or something there to stand on thst wouldn't fall when the concrete did.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ledge posted:

Did they want to?

I'm going to guess chaining around an engine and getting full speed in reverse the answer is yes.. but considering they are human, and many humans are iditos, the answer may also be no

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ledge posted:

But why?

I don't think a gif has ever raised as many questions for me.

the question should be Why not.

My guess. the car was somehow hosed and was either being used as a doner vehicle for something not front end/engine related, OR.. it was going to the scrap heap, and beers were drunk and someone said.. hey I have a cool thing we can do before it gets towed. Hell who knows, maybe it was up for repo and the dumbasses were like gently caress THE BANK BRO.. and then they later found out that they had to pay for all that poo poo.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

mds2 posted:

Not really OSHA, but related to recent chat. I've always loved this video of how to pull out a truck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw1xZxUssfs

That's what you do with the straps you just go...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

RabbitWizard posted:

There are all those hilarious/interesting videos about stuff getting crushed with a hydraulic press. I guess it's this threads fault that Youtube suggested me this one.
:nms: of course....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ldwuv2ZRy8

Yes, he died. I'm not a doctor, but I'm veeeeeery sure.

Why did the machine run when open?
It seems to me that it shouldn't run with guard open or at least have a pedal that makes the press run so you can stop it from crushing your head.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Plus who would ever accidentally press the start button while they had ahead in there right, not like that'll ever happen.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Each time I Read of this it makes me sick to my stomach..
read also: How Herbie the love bug radiated a town.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I live around here and I'm really pissed that Occidental (Hooker) got hosed with this one.. Yes it was a toxic waste dump but it was from an era of gently caress-it lets toss it in the garbage. Then when Niagara falls wanted to buy it they were all gently caress NO.. NO NO NO NOPE NOPE NOPE NO you don't want this. But they still pressured and Occidental still said. NO you don't want it go find other land, yet still the government pressured them, so they sold it and put "Pleae dont' build on this poo poo" in the sales agreement.. Yet still it was THEIR fault that toxic waste was bobing in peoples basements.

Also prevalent in my area: Some waste from the Manhattan project that's buried underground in a cask, no one wants to disburb since there are residential homes across the street, so they just leave it there and monitor the ground.

They also recently found some fill from love canal that was sitting somenwere, and they were transporting the dirt for scrubbing to a plant that's near where I use to live. (I started taking an alternative route when the hazardous waste dirt containers were sitting on containment mats)

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 2, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

right in the 40's and 50's it was just some empty field and no one was ever going to use it.. now it's a strip mall.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Nah. They disposed of that stuff, with permission from the city, in accord with the laws of the time. The disposal site was lined and capped. They really didn't want the city to build there, and only agreed to the sale after the city threatened to condemn the land and take it from them anyway. Then the folks the city hired to build there decided to do things like puncture the lining to run horizontal pipes, and excavate the clay cap to use as fill dirt, letting water in and out. Hooker's only fault in this was in expecting their disclaimer of liability to hold up in court.

Yeah the city bought a known toxic dump that was okay they they started building poo poo on top of it. I think they re punctured the cap again later in life when they were building a highway, and were dangerously close to dumping stuff in the Niagara river

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ugh that sucks, dude was just probably an eager dude who wanted to help and didn't realize he was making an acetone bomb.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'll think that in that era especially nearly all WASPs were racist.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

And this is why I don't stop to tie my shoes when walking.. you never know.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm still loving with the dude that thinks.. OH this big rear end crane with outriggers and counterweights etc is starting to tip, let me try and haul it down and weigh it down with my puny human body.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SpacePig posted:

But what if stopping to tie your shoes also stops you from walking under something like that?

oh god what have you done, now what do I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

If it's like the last one, it will be poo poo.