Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

boner confessor posted:

also how the real real killer isn't the fire or smoke necessarily, it's inadequate ability to escape. two of the deadliest fires in the united states - the iroquois theater fire (600ish dead) and the cocoanut grove fire (500ish dead) were because once the fire happened, people panicked and couldn't find their way out. hundreds of panicking people in a confined space makes for a horrible traffic jam, as many people end up crushed or smothered in the stampede as do die from smoke inhalation, suffocation, and somewhat rarely burns. when a panic situation happens, people tend to try to leave the same way they came in - even if that's like six rooms and hundreds of feet away, through smoke and freaking out humans - which is why well lit exit signs leading to fire doors are a huge lifesaver in situations like this. you can see this in the station fire video, as the cameraman too slooooly is sort of pushed out by a flow of humans, and not even 45 seconds later people are bursting through walls and windows in a big tide trying to get the hell out

people are heavy too, heavier than you think. one of the big causes of people dying in a stampede is those who fall to the floor beneath the crowd and are trampled to death, or even worse people who are pushed up against an immobile object and are crushed by the crowd of folks behind you pushing their way out. it only takes at most like 1400 pounds of pressure to stop you from breathing. that's like 9-10 average sized people pushing against your abdomen, or 6-7 americans

There was a similar situation in The Netherlands in a bar on new years. Someone set off some sparklers, which in turn set off the christmas decorations which were all over the ceiling. The decorations were pine branches and stuff and weren't fireproofed. After seeing that video you can imagine how quickly the entire ceiling was ablaze. The fire dropped to the floor and on the patrons below. Of course the bar was filled way over capacity and the fire escapes were inadequate.

It resulted in 14 deaths and 350 wounded. Of course numerous code violations were found in the resulting investigation.

Ironically the bar was named "Heaven".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spog posted:

Stay in bed.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MF_James posted:

Wait, is that gasoline she's cleaning her windshield with?

I had to watch it a few times, I thought it was a water hose.

so did that old lady

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Sometime the ship catches fire real good and you need to GTFO before it even starts sinking.

The life rafts are set up to self deploy if the ship sinks and no one launches them first though. Same thing with free fall lifeboats.

Free fall lifeboat classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_keBUBKmCU

I was in one of these in a part of an offshore training program. It's a pretty strange experience to be inside one of those when they drop.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvU_dkKdZ0U

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The discovery channel forums are over there guys.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bum the Sad posted:

Your dentist was retarded, the local anesthetics they're using in your mouth are the same ones they've been using for years, Lidocaine has been around since the 40's.

It's an adjunct anesthetic gas. You'd need to breath 104% Nitrous Oxide to be reliably knocked out for surgery. That doesn't leave much room for oxygen. In the OR your anesthesia provider might mix it in with more powerful anesthetic gas(Sevoflurane, Isoflurane or Desflurane) in order to use less of them. They'll do this in order to help wake you up quicker at the end of the surgery as the stronger anesthesia gasses are fairly fat soluble and take a while to exit your brain/blood into your lungs where you can breath them out. It's also used to help get children off to sleep as typically an IV isn't started on them until after they are asleep so what we do is just crank the nitrous and the strong gas to the max and pin the mask to their face, the more they scream the quicker they fall asleep! In that case it's just being used as a helpful additive to speed things up.

On it's own though it's a great pain reliever and makes you feel good. For exampled it's used all over the world for pain during labor and well in dentistry.

Dissasociatives are cool

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Uncle Enzo posted:

I read recently about people exploring this hyper-radioactive ex-military site that was purposefully contaminated, making it vastly more dangerous than a nuke test site. Apparently every few years some urbex people go in there and are like "yup, still hideously dangerous". But even those people have the loving presence of mind to carry some meters with them so they know when to turn back, jesus.

Sounds interesting, got a link?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A poor imitation of red hot nickle ball guy

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Am I the only one who can't tell what that is

looks like a giant popcorn or something

it's a wasps nest

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

Oh hey, I now where kazan is! I worked with some remote developers out that way

It's where Putin put the "Innopolis", his innovation blah blah prestige project.

Their university basically bought the masters program I'm doing and my teachers fly out and teach a course then fly back lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

"All of our stuff is in that" lol fuuuuck Sounded like an american tourist

quote:

No-one was inside at the time, but a group of backpackers on their way to the island for New Year's Eve lost their mobile phones, bank cards, passports and other valuables when the rented vehicle rolled out between Inskip Point and Fraser Island, north of Brisbane, about 10:00am.

Backpacker Chloe Swift

Confirm.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Farmdizzle posted:

The frame is the loving common ground and you don't "dissipate" current.

i think he was joking m8

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

You guys are telling me american tourist Cloe Swift left her cell phone in the car?

Hmm yeah that does seem unlikely.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If they left their phones in the car, what were they using to film the incident with???? :tinfoil:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's tradition. :geert:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

He carried with the safety on, and part of the draw is flicking the safety off as you draw the gun. It's muscle memory, so he flicked the safety down as he pulled up and thus the gun was already ready to fire when it came out and his finger slipped.

I thought the gun was a Glock and those don't have external safeties.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fixies are dumb as hell and fixie culture is even worse.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Close guess, it's actually St. Petersburg, Florida.

Hah, Florida doesn't have nearly as nice a public transport system.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lol that jeep just driving over it, not giving a gently caress.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Risk of clams :backtowork:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Sausages posted:

Reminds me of the first ever chainsaw, the Ostetome.

For speedy amputations, legs off within 5 minutes guaranteed! :unsmigghh:

Probably saved quite a few lives.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

I thought I had mono for a year, turns out I was just really bored.

same, but it turned out it was .net instead.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The etymology of rucksack is from the German alpine dialect rücken (the back) + sack. I guess a rugsack would be rügen ( to reprimand or reprehend) + sack which would be this:

Or a bag you keep your rugs in idk

Only after the second consonant shift, some of us germanics noped the gently caress out of that and call it "rug".

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

This morning it's OSHA-3, Florida Man-0. :smith: Same scenario that we read about all the time: person A goes into an unventilated manhole and collapses. Person B goes for the rescue and collapses. Person C goes to help and collapses. Turns out that it was a cocktail of hydrogen sulphide and methane that got them. Ventilate your confined spaces, people.
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/01/16/crews-work-to-free-workers-in-key-largo/?e=uLXN0pHsbQKGPQ

Unfortunately this happens a lot. If your buddy becomes unconscious your first instinct is to get in there and save him, but all you'll do is put yourself at risk. You really need breathing gear.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think one of the problems is that there's no CO2 so even though you're not getting any oxygen, you're not feeling like you're choking.

Just like that missile silo guy "hmm my voice sounds deeper all of the sudden"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hydrogen wasn't actually as unsafe as people think. It doesn't explode in a huge fireball like the Hindenburg, because there isn't any oxygen in the mix so it just kind of burns off slowly as it leaks. The reason the Hindenburg burned like it did was that the paint used on the canvas was highly flammable.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

But in BF1 they don't immediately burst into a giant fireball so explain that myth busters :colbert:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lime Tonics posted:

Speaking of steel, it should not do this,

No traffic on Delaware River Bridge while fracture is assessed, fixed

Officials said it would take two weeks before engineers have a full grasp of the extent of the damage, what kinds of repairs would be needed, and how long the bridge would remain closed.

But they made clear that the damage was significant.

"Due to the significant fracture, stresses have been redistributed to other parts of the bridge," said Brad Heigel, Pennsylvania Turnpike chief engineer.

The bridge on I-276 was last inspected in 2014 and no problems were identified at that time. It handles about 42,000 vehicles a day.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20170122_No_traffic_on_Delaware_River_Bridge_while_fracture_is_assessed__fixed.html

That bridge was hacked by Russians, I can tell.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

So the USA edition of a Nigerian website reports on a Russian accident.

What a world.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Wait DRLs don't have the tail lights on in the US? What kind of retardation is this?

Thanks Obama. :sad:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Isn’t it literally impossible to turn off the lights in most of those countries, though?

Only on newer cars. Like after 2015 or so.

Plenty of cars left on the roads that allow you to do whatever with your lights.

Don't listen to this idiot. Driving with lights on during the day is way safer.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pro af

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

I'm in the Netherlands so American laws against deceptive slogans sadly won't help much. This is the same reason why you won't find the phrase on google, it's paraphrased from Dutch.

And yes you're technically correct about the difference between allergies and intolerances but I don't know the word for intolerance-safe food so I went with hypo-allergenic because everybody knows what that is.

I thought the Dutch were supposed to be so tolerant.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wait. New plant builds still use PDP-11's?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mycroft Holmes posted:

you want something dead simple and reliable for important applications like nuclear power plants.

BattleMaster posted:

Aint' broke/don't fix and all that.

Well yeah but at some point installing 40 year old computers becomes a problem because of parts availability and being dependent on one, maybe two companies in the world that can service your critical machinery. What if the company goes broke and there is a fire that destroys their warehouse or w/e? Or the last greybeard who really knows how the memory management works dies.

In 2050 at the end of the life of the CANDU reactors the pdp-11 will be 80 years old.

Granted, so will the rest of the parts of some of these plants but still.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Pretty sure that's korean. Or at least the text says so.

Doesnt mean you cant have elevator shenannigans in China:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLjYbISpRbk

not very efficient kan re nao if you have to look through a doorcrack

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The approach to the old Hong Kong airport was pretty much that, but done with 747s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G251YEUWxR4

Wasn't Kai Tak the one where there was a checkerboard pattern on some mountain which signalled where pilots needed to start some blind turn?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Then there's Paro in Bhutan, where you have to fly between a bunch of mountains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmGy7qcDwQU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Klaus Kinski posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aNEYwYqJ7Fc

Paging three-phase to explain why rus is not dead.

It's fine they have gloves on