Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
The Silo That Wanted To Become A Yurt is just amazing, I'm happy every time I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Guy on the cycle better stop, give thanks, and wipe his shorts out.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I imagine that exiting might end up something like this

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Melian Dialogue posted:

Speaking of art installations, was at an art gallery that had some massive electircal contraption to play music with like, a paintbrush playing the guitar etc and a bunch of other things, along with the schematic on the wall. Does OSHA type or fire codes or any of this come into play for art pieces? Or are these just giant deathtraps waiting to arc and burn down the gallery?

It's only REAL art when a spectator is killed by the art. After that, it's a question of whether they died comedically or tragically. See also:
Luis Jiminez

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Bokito posted:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d42_1457122214

Dude gets pulled into running printing press. In China, of course.

:catstare: Jesus, that guy got yanked through there fast

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What's black and white and red all over?

First edition of "Red Star Over China"?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

mostlygray posted:

I'm sure I've posted regarding this before, but family farms are the worst places for safety violations. They are exempt from most requirements and your equipment is usually terrible. A neighbor of ours was de-gloved from one ankle to the other, including his genitals, because he stepped over a running PTO with loose pants. Unfortunately, he lived. I'm sure his life is hell. Never gently caress with a spinning shaft.

General Bullshit: WGBS Channel 4 - Your local news leader > OSHA: My Taint Was Degloved By Accident

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

mobby_6kl posted:

An electrician has died after falling 53 storeys from a construction site in Los Angeles.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35839635

At least it wasn't his last day. And wear your hardhats, people!

In a manner of speaking, it was his last day. :smith:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Colossal has an Oscar-winning documentary from 1958 on their site, and it's a really awesome 10-minute watch in addition to being a bit of a treasure trove of OSHA moments, such as this one:

This was a really good find, thanks.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Welp, I got to feel 11,000 volts AC across the chest tonight at work. Was surging testing some coils with another dude, and he hit the pedal while I still had the connectors in my hands. The weird thing is it didn't feel like a shock at all, just like someone thumped me real hard all the way up the arms and across my chest. Other than that it wasn't that bad. He freaked out about it and I wound up actually feeling bad for him, although it was pretty stupid. Whenever I'm testing with another person and running the machine, I let the other person tell me when to hit the juice as well as visually confirming they aren't touching it myself.

You're lucky that you're not dead. You need to figure out a different SOP /some disconnect to prevent this kind of poo poo from happening.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Three-Phase posted:

Those posters are awesome. Wow.

From the fire a few pages back - is a flashover and backdraft sorta' the same thing?

I, too, was confused on this. No more! Know more!
http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/2005/03/flashover-and-backdraft-a-primer.html

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 2, 2016

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Wasabi the J posted:

What in the actual gently caress is going on here?

That's the main runway of the Robert Mugabe International Airport with its innovative "catch-in-mid-air" landing system.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

TTerrible posted:

How did they know what happened?

OSHA has a special Ouija Board Investigative Team (OBIT) that they use to interview the deceased.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

geeves posted:

Wonder what the last thing to go through his mind was.

"Oh no, not again"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
With the right text, this could be an award-winning ad for a laxative.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Dude failed Euclidian geometry.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I want to believe.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Load-bearing saran-wrap! :ughh:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

DOOP posted:

what is this?

The anus of an anonymous city

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
John Allen, former president of the Philadelphia Toboggan Company: “The ultimate rollercoaster is built when you send out 24 people and they all come back dead. This could be done, you know.”

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Roger Craig posted:

Isn't a big cloud of flour really flammable?

gently caress yes, they are. In fact, just about anything that becomes aerosolized in very fine particles sets up a nice fuel-air explosive situation.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Holy gently caress
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/18231...h-horror-smash/

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

a very cheerful plague pit

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
A slightly different version suggests some less-sinister pipeline repair that went on.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I used a GIS and looked around at several sites that had similar pictures, eventually found this view.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Byzantine posted:

Death to Vandals.

gently caress yeah, SPQR all the way!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ak Gara posted:

Can someone play the video in reverse so the pigeons are okay? :shobon:

Put the resulting video up on a creationist website as evidence of spontaneous generation of life.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Splode posted:

Yeah at some point it's a situation where they clearly don't care that much (or it's making them more money in fines than it costs to repair) because, as shown, there are plenty of ways to fix it.
They all cost money, but not a ridiculous amount of money.

A quick blast of flame toward the windshield from a personal flamethrower mounted on the bridge might alert truck drivers more.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Johnny Aztec posted:

......Where can I buy one of those? Got an Amazon link?

The website is http://xm42.com/

:argh: should have read the rest of the thread

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 6, 2016

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
In my engineering opinion, the city should take the sewer pipeline and completely rethink it. Run it up and over the railroad tracks in a artistically-inspired parabola and use a huge pump to make the sewage flow up through the pipe and over to the other side. Make it out of mirror-finished stainless steel with plexiglass windows to let light through, call it the Arc de Merde (Arch of poo poo) and voila! an instant tourist attraction for the hoi polloi. With the roadway thus cleared, Durham can dig out the trench to their heart's delight. Everyone wins.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Bonster posted:

Older post but this bridge is still down, over a year after she crashed it. I've never been able to stop and get a picture of it, but it is seriously just a tangled wreck of metal. I think they've been trying to rebuild it so it's visually the same, but Paoli is not a wealthy town. It's one of the four roads off downtown's roundabout, a major route in a minor town.

I swear, some truck drivers and their companies are so stupid that it's a wonder that our roads aren't awash with blood. In NJ, there was a bridge in Kingwood that was partially collapsed by an overweight crane. How overweight? Only 90,500 lbs. That's 90,500 lbs over the maximum allowable non-permit highway weight of 80,000 lbs. The whole thing weighed 170,500 lbs. It took around two years to get a replacement, which probably pissed off the locals no end.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Another OSHA warning of why not to get into a machine: a guy in Indianapolis got inside a disabled plastic pelletizer machine to see what was the problem. The machine turned on with him in it.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/12/worker-crushed-to-death-by-recycling-plants-machine.html

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

zedprime posted:

From the artist recreation it looks like maybe 15-20ft from the roof to the access floor at the top of the furnace.

It might have been a factory crewed by oompa-loompas so each floor was only about 4' tall. drat, the math works out eerily well, what evil have we unearthed after all these years?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

oohhboy posted:

Kanye has cancelled the tour. That platform couldn't bear the weight of his ego.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38049884

drat, and here he had just reclaimed the Throne of Rap, too.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Talk about foreign OSHA: scaffolding at a Chinese power plant construction site collapsed, killing at least 67. I wonder if we'll ever hear of the reason. Do they even have any kind of industrial accident investigations, or is life too cheap in China?
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/11/24/construction-site-collapse-in-china-kills-at-least-67.html

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sagebrush posted:

I think this is my favorite hazard symbol

It's just "health hazard", apparently, but I like to think of it as "intrinsic field subtractor in use"
Warning: Alien Exploding From Chest

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
In the wintertime, ban all vehicles and allow only dogsleds within city limits.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

KennyLoggins posted:

from the Raleigh, NC snowpocalypse

how on earth do you get a car to catch fire in the snow. just rev the engine to the moon and hope the tires melt the snow and asphalt to get you going? :lol:

http://krqe.com/2016/01/02/why-some-cars-catch-fire-during-snow-storms/

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Deteriorata posted:

Nobody ever looks. That's the beauty of double tracks.

No one ever expects the spanish inquisition second locomotive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Programmer Humor posted:

Some sort of "ship parachute" would probably work. Like a big balloon or something.

Only one solution, really:

The Russian Ekranoplan

http://imgur.com/t/ekranoplan/0qaRr