Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I imagine its the block and tackle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
a hot babe with a rich ceo?

or the monument to liebherr made of two cranes and the base to a larger crane?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

http://www.mammoet.com/

these guys have 2 yards near where I often work so I see their very large cranes and counter weights get moved around.

it still amazes me how mobile some of their absolutely massive cranes are

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Sad he is coming back, he has taken a lot of amazing photos from the space station

https://twitter.com/StationCDRKelly

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

i get to drive our yards big diesel powered forklift around the yard with no real formal training. I'm also an operator so I'm expected to know how to use it. I don't really use it much unless we need to load a skid of bentonite (sorta as hazardous as asbestos, silicate crystals) or lifting big reamers out the back of our chase truck.

fork lift drivers that work in factories and poo poo though are crazy. i know they want maximum productivity but most of the time I see them theyre in such a god drat rush its probably dangerous

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

reamer, those plates are probably an inch thick and the OD of the reamer is probably 18"

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

i was going through my phone photos and apprently i recorded this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1T_adJx268

i remember that job but I dont remember recording it, or having a weird blair witch filter along with inserting random pictures of the surrounding area

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

any higher ups at aecon, I didn't write those!

M.O.L. is the ministry is labour handbook, required on every job site

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

lol my co-worker had (still has maybe?) a 4' tall bee hive in his attic. He doesn't wanna kill them so he was harvesting the honey all summer, but I think he's gonna try and transplant the queen this year if theyre still there. We got a few guys at work that actually do bee stuff

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

calvus posted:

Using a paperclip to bypass safety features can only end well

I've had to do that to my seat sensor on my drill because my seat froze and you can't tram the drill or even lift the head/foot if someone is on the seat (you shouldn't be seated on the drill if it isn't set up in position). It was -25C out (this was 2 years ago in feb, loving cold) so good luck getting the seat that is completely open to the outside to unfreeze so we can float it back to the yard. I made sure to fix it once we had it chained down, and got vermeer out to change the sensor as soon as he could.

I know one of the other drill crews with one of the smaller drills can actually drive the drill with the two joysticks (they only move forwards and back, one is for thrust the other is rotation) if they disconnect the seat sensor. They can do this because the drill has three hydraulic pumps, 2 main and 1 auxiliary. The 2 main pumps control the thrust and rotation respectively, and if you are tramming the drill (so no pressure on the seat) these pumps will drive the tracks. The drill is tiny so its like driving a go kart (so I hear).

I'm trying to provide a picture of the smaller drill but imgur is being stupid (google: "vermeer 9x13" if you want a scale)

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Red Suit posted:

Some workers are climbing into the kilns right now without locking them out to jury rig a fix for our pallets not aligning properly.
Report them for a gold star from your manager

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

it looks like the ripped the goose neck from the trailer (it's meant to separate, but not like that) and those boom arms are really loving strong. It also looks like the top of the elbow it the underside of the bridge bringing the whole tractor/trailer up in the air probably. Wouldn't be a fun exercise I don't think

he's also a job creator cause now people have to fix that bridge

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

should've put some soil or gravel or anything really on the bottom of the bed first, they both should know better

they might not have had any at the time though too

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

why do you think roads need repairs so often? if they made the roads perfect the first time they would be out of work!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Gromit posted:

Terrifying!

this is why i am perfectly fine working on the ground/underground cause gently caress heights

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

EKDS5k posted:

If you think it's scary just looking down, now imagine that you can drive and steer these machines while they're fully extended, and even with the boom swung out over the side. Top speed of about 0.5 kph.

I don't think anyone is moving those base's with the boom out over 100'

you would probably be launched out of the basket once you start moving if youre out that far

i could see moving around when the boom is out, but not fully extended, it would be a lot more rigid that way

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

EKDS5k posted:

My job is to fix these things and then test them. We have one 150' boom, and over a dozen 120-135' lifts. I go all the way up in one at least once every other day. All of them will drive (again, slowly) with the boom fully raised and extended, and even swung out over the side. That's kind of the point of using them.

Yes I know they will, but have you moved the base with the boom fully extended while in the basket?

edit: and isnt the point of having a 360 degree boom that you put it in the best spot so you can boom to all the reachable spots rather than driving and potentially being launched out/crushed

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 27, 2016

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

EKDS5k posted:

I can't tell if you're being dumb on purpose or not. You quoted my post where I said that's exactly what they do. The only way to drive a boom lift is from in the basket. There are no drive controls on the ground, only boom controls.

doesnt matter, I know jobsites won't let you drive them around with the boom fully extended, I know you're misreading me on purpose

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

FIRST TIME posted:

I was just at a store buying some groceries and they had a sign that said "6 Years Accident Free!" and I had to laugh because that's so full of poo poo and I would be scared to work somewhere that goes through the effort to hide accidents for that long.

Every company has a sign that says "xx days without a (lost time) injury!". It's the lost time part that matters. Injuries happen a fair bit at where I work (mostly cuts and dropping things on fingers, there's a big push for having us wear gloves ALL the time) but it doesn't really cost the company money unless the person is injured so much that they can't make it into work. As long as you can show up and sharpen pencils/photocopy poo poo they don't count it as an injury. But lawsuits start firing off the second the worker can't make it into work.

We've also had a lot of metal on metal accidents so the next person to run into a concrete bollard or a civilians car is gonna get canned I think

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Red Suit posted:

So one of our machines has been leaking oil and the solution the workers decided on was to put a bucket under the leak. Then when the smell of oil got to be too much to bear, the supervisor brought in a box fan to point at the bucket. Thing is, those fans have motors that can spark. Basically the supervisor rigged a loving bomb without knowing it.

Buy a new hose you cheap bastards. And it's not gonna burst into flames unless like other guy said it drops on something very hot. Also buy cat litter, that what oil spill kits come with to absorb spills

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

ummmm what happens if the wrecking ball gets stuck in the building? I hope there's a quick release or something made to break before the helicopter does

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Lol that second looks like someone planned it. I doubt it was but it looks that way

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

JFairfax posted:

A worker from Berwyn was killed and three others were injured early Tuesday when a 45-ton beam fell at a construction site in Des Plaines, officials said.

The workers were in lifts on Touhy Avenue working to remove the beam under the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (Interstate 90) about 3 a.m. when the beam collapsed, officials said.

One of the workers was taken in critical condition to Lutheran General Hospital and later pronounced dead. Three others were taken to hospitals with minor injuries, according to Des Plaines Fire Chief Alan Wax.

The Occupational Safety & Health Administration in a news release late Tuesday said the incident was "preventable."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-des-plaines-construction-accident-20160405-story.html

another man dead probably due to cutting corners/costs

i'm guessing they cheaped out on cranes/hoisting equipment and they couldn't support the load when something gave way

oh you poor thing:

quote:

Since construction on the Jane Addams began last year, traffic in the area has been a "pain," Huerta said, but especially so today with the addition of the road closure.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

That reminds me, a while ago the discussion involved forklifts and how far the forks should be raised while driving. I said I was going to pull out my training institute's publication on forklifts, but I forgot. I'll grab a copy right now while I'm still at work.

I was taught keep them low as possible and angled up like ~15° but this is a big diesel fucker that's really hard to miss, not one of those toyotas zipping around a plant

Edit: one of these guys, not sure of the series, but it's the exact same profile it looks like

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 5, 2016

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Gotta drill past 3 high pressure oil lines today for a Bell job. Pulling a 14" reamer and we needed esso (well imperial oil which esso owns I think) and another guy from a Canadian company (something about needing 2 groups for insurance or something).

We have the hole made and reamed but they are still required to stay for every time we pass them, kinda annoying cause I've been sitting in my truck for almost 2 hours waiting for these guys so we can finish today!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Just add some orange flags to the ends and it's good to go! Make sure you use your hazards

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Conspire to violate federal mine safety standards resulting in the death of 29 people? Get a whole year in jail.

What a victory for safety.

It's better than a fine at least, though he should be serving life imo

Also, if you're canadian, april 28th is National Day of Mourning for workers killed and injured on the job

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

EKDS5k posted:

While I don't know which specific forklift you're talking about, most 5000 lb capacity forklifts weigh between 8-9000 lbs, which is still a lot heavier than I thought before I knew better. A 10k capacity would weigh around 15 000 lbs. Electrics I think are heavier but off the top of my head I don't have anything to back that up.

Rough terrain forklifts, and variable reach forklifts scale up way faster. A 5k variable reach weighs around 10 000 lbs, and a 10k capacity typically weighs over 31 000 lbs. They are impossible to see out of on the right side, and will (possibly :nms:, vehicle gets his by forklift, driver dies, but you can't see any details through the windshield) gently caress you right up if you get hit by one.

Fork height chat: The comments on that video are wrong; in a variable reach forklift you need to keep the forks high enough so that you can see what's going on to your right. Unfortunately that puts them right at chest height, so if you see one driving around, just stay out of its way.

Variable reach forklifts often have front-deploying outriggers for picking up heavy things that are far away. It's OSHA because guys forget to raise them before trying to drive away.

this is why we try and hoist things (that don't require cranes/boom trucks) with excavators most of the time. plus you don't need a course on lifting loads (yet) to lift with an excavator

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

its landing gear was extended, its fine

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Karma Monkey posted:

Ha, we had a fire safety class last week and the instructor specifically told us not to do anything dumb like try to stomp a fire out, but to always use the extinguisher. He also showed us a lot of hilarious (well, hilarious if you don't think about the amount of property damage and potential injuries and lost lives) photos of stuff he's actually found during inspections and after large fires.

They also did away with the fun part of the class which was when we'd get to practice putting out a real (small) fire (outdoors). Now it's this electronic video game type thing. It's like putting out a Lite-Brite fire with a laser pointer. :(

"You missed a spot... no there... point it there... THERE... goddammit Sheryl, point it at the loving FLAME!"

just use PASS, it might save someone's life!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

There's gonna be a loving OSHA violation if I have to keep working with my oxy popping junkie partner who won't stop watching YouTube conspiracy videos while he drives large truck and trailer.

Best part is is that my boss knows he pops pills!

Gotta love how high school never dies.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

don't try and help the management, they won't do the same to you!

report it as a work injury and you might even be covered for hospital fees (if you live a third world country/USA)

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I think the Glen Canyon Dam takes the lion’s share of that, but of course when it fails catastrophically, Hoover will follow.

e: In 500–700 years if sediment is indeed the limiting factor on lifespan here (unlikely).

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/02/mosul-dam-engineers-warn-it-could-fail-at-any-time-killing-1m-people

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I don't think bananas are without sin

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

It's National Day of Mourning for injured and killed workers in Ontario (Canada?) today too.

At our company, we have bi weekly toolbox talks about safety opportunities and accidents in other parts of the company (we're very, very, large) and how to avoid them in the future. We also have safety inspectors who will come out randomly or stay on jobs if they are on big projects to make sure people follow safety standards. We are also a closed shop so that may have something to do with it too (it does).

That being said, I've been warned before because I forgot to do a checklist for my equipment (I really should but they don't even keep the sheets so why bother?) and that same inspector did nothing as a guy was trying to hook lifting chains to the top of a trench box on a flatbed like 20' in the air with no tie off or anything. This was after they tried to lift it off with an underpowered excavator and almost flipped it. He's also our division's VP's brother so yeah.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Lol the really smart people starting jumping in those demo cars. That would be wild to be a part of though

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I briefly considered suckling it but I've already endured my threshold of electric shocks for the year.

you'll be fine as long as youre jumping and not touching the ground

or is it the other way around

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

YF19pilot posted:

It actually does seem stupid to provide operators with factor-of-safety margins, because they think it means it's safe to exceed that. On aircraft designs, for example, the "neutral point" of aerodynamic stability is a very important and key piece of information which gets loving buried to prevent dumb-asses from trying to be Chuck Yeager or Bob Hoover in a plane not designed for it, then getting themselves into an irrecoverable attitude because they hosed up the CoG loading and the aircraft is completely unstable now.

No its not a dumb idea and the fact that you think the people lifting the load and standinh near it shouldn't know the capacity of everything they have is one of the stupidest things I've seen. Cause when poo poo does go wrong, it's the operator who was operating and it's his rear end and he better know his limits for straps and the crane. That's why you need thousands of hours to be a large crane operator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Most load charts aren't based on the maximum possible capacity at that boom length and angle. They're usually based on something like 85% of the maximum. The intention is that operators will never go close to the limits and the slings are designed to be stronger than the minimum necessary anyway just to provide a safety buffer in case it does get overloaded.

The problem is that it's giving the operators just enough information to be dangerous. What's the old saying? "The only thing more dangerous than having no knowledge is having a little knowledge"? If a careless operator knows that the load chart is actually underestimating the capacity by 15%, there's a good chance that in a crunch (like when their boss is yelling at them to hurry the gently caress up, or they're too tired/lazy to go out and change the slings or get a new crane that can handle the load) they may go "Aww, I got an extra 15% anyway!" and lift something that exceeds the load chart.

What usually happens is that they end up actually reaching the maximum capacity of the crane, or the crane or slings are worn and the effective maximum capacity isn't the awesome "rated for 500% the list capacity!" on the label anymore. So they go up to 100% or 105% of the crane's capacity and tip over, or the slings snap because they've worn down to only be capable of 200% the listed capacity and are now at their limit. The true maximum capacity is the point where you're supposed to stop.

This is why when you're in between listed numbers on the load chart, you always use the next lowest numbers. If the boom lengths are listed in 10 foot increments and you're at 75 feet, you use the capacities listed for 70 feet instead of 80 feet. You always want to be operating within a good margin of safety, without maxing everything out.

Edit: poo poo, even the 1000 hours doesn't mean anything when it comes to actual knowledge. A lot of operators pick up really bad habits after years or decades without an accident. My training institute gets tons of people who have been operating cranes for 5 years or more and don't even know how to read a load chart because they've been eyeballing it and just been lucky. The precast guys we were talking to this week rarely even look at their charts closely because they're almost always lifting loads of known weights and just do the same thing over and over.

Well all the cranes we use are unionized, as are we, and they all know everything about what they're lifting that day. They have a plan, inspectors, the whole thing. It's also really expensive but they don't gently caress up. Maybe you live in a state that has right-to-work or something that has so many lovely operators?