Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

This raises so many questions for me. Chief among them being "How did he get there without dying?" and "Why is the outside of that building tiled like a badly done bathroom?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Aramoro posted:

I'll try to find and scan in the photo of my dad rowing a boat 100ft below the North Sea, it's OSHA because he's not wearing his respirator.

Rowing a boat underwater does sound pretty OSHA.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

I don't use hand sanitizer because it doesn't make my hands feel clean, which is the most important part.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

dis astranagant posted:

Yep. The best PPE for a ClF3 fire is a good pair of running shoes. Ignition is a drat funny book and it's a shame that it's basically impossible to obtain legally.

I'm reasonably sure that Ignition! is public domain.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Volcott posted:

Not OSHA, but I had an electricity-related adventure today. A tree fell on some power lines down the road from my place, something something transformer. This resulted in my house getting some spicy watts, a surge then a brownout. Ended up frying my microwave and dishwasher before I had the good sense to turn everything off at the circuit breaker.

A couple years ago, we had a deal where one phase of power came lose at the pole and fell onto the neutral. Took me too long to figure out the power wasn't "out" before I turned off the breaker box. Every major 120V appliance had to be replaced and I think I'm still chasing down the occasional light fixture that was damaged.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

New Action Park slide looking pretty good.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

A White Guy posted:

You're actually supposed to wear safety glasses over your glasses, because normal glasses don't cover nearly enough to prevent little shards of metal from getting into your eye.

At my work, we have side shields people can add to their glasses. The glasses are supposed to be safety rated, but nobody checks.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Burning_Monk posted:

Holy cow, blow up a neighborhood and you get a "cost of doing business" fine? That's some super villain level of evil.

If one guy does it, and it would be terrorism, a corporation and it's just Tuesday.

Welcome to America

e: VV Fair point

Explosionface fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 3, 2016

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

shame on an IGA posted:

I am really looking forward to having this contractor's rear end for breakfast tomorrow since I would be dead right now if this crane hadn't been welding itself to the floor by the time I went to switch it on.

That's pretty horrifying. Luckily, I only ever have to deal with pre-made three phase plugs so it's much harder for...that to happen.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

There was an explosion in a small town in Kansas this morning. I'm sure there's a very OSHA reason behind it.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

xergm posted:

They just had a spill a month ago that gassed out Atchison, now an explosion somewhere else?

As if their water slides weren't bad enough.

And just wait in case Trump actually taps Brownback for budget tips. Then everyone can be hosed over by our terribleness!

As for the explosion, there's only one reported injury (out of ~40 employees, apparently) and the fires are still burning, despite help from neighboring fire departments.

e: oh, and there was fun a few years ago when Coffeyville flooded due to their oil refinery

Explosionface fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 22, 2016

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Perestroika posted:

That... seems like a great way to pass out from CO2 poisoning. While driving. :stare:

Not to mention it's probably rich enough to simultaneously be putting out more CO than you ever want to be around in a confined space, as well.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

zedprime posted:

I thought air fines were serious business in California because smoggy LA is still in living memory. That is a violation could easily gut the working capital in a fly by night shop and at best your paychecks start coming in a month late.

Interned in paper manufacturing in California and the bit of hardware that adds lotion to tissues straight up had a hood for VOC recovery. Any failure to follow procedure around it was grounds for instant dismissal, which is unique in my experience for being the only no tolerance rule based on environmental issues instead of personal safety.

Yeah, California doesn't gently caress around with emissions. I had to go to a jobsite in California back in December to get a commercial burner in line before the whole boiler was marked unfit and had to be replaced entirely and this was a new installation. They also have their emissions measuring devices that they hit individual stacks with from the street, primarily concerned about NOx numbers.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

iroc.dis posted:

We've had 17 medical treatment injury recordable incidents through January and February. This year is going great so far :supaburn:

I can't even fathom that unless there are just thousands and thousands of employees. I know our corporate overlords would be eviscerating us over something like that. Note: our corpo leaders are largely people with safety backgrounds.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

7 days in a week?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You don't count the day you're on when you start counting!!! :argh:

One of my favorite episodes of Pretty Good

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Little bit of both. The level wasn't showing correctly in the control room and he thought there was a float cell inside the tank. Apparently, SOP for a stuck float cell is to beat it up a little bit.

Yeah, floats have a tendency to stick, which is why most boiler codes require two different low water cutoff switches of different types (one float, one probe, for instance).

I don't know what industry you're in, but some things carry over regardless.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Here at our office earlier this week, we had a training school for boiler techs, so you can bet that this whole thing was a hot topic for everyone. Our best guesses were: 1) the burner kept firing on a steam boiler without water, and then water was added, flashing to steam or 2) there was mud buildup inside, holding a fair amount of water that all suddenly flashed in a similar manner. We all knew immediately that it wasn't a natural gas explosion because it was too energetic and came from the bottom of the boiler. Either way, regular maintenance would have avoided this.

I'm just glad my company wasn't the one providing the burner, so we're in the clear.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Enoch Root posted:

Or, like a boiler I serviced some years back, some idiot operator plugged the relief valve because 'it kept leaking'

:stare:

gently caress operators. They're the same assholes that will spin the dial on old controls to skip the purge when the burner doesn't light and keep trying until it does light...catastrophically.

violent sex idiot posted:

I worked on a cool boiler one time where the plant went extremely over budget so they didn't build an enclosure around it or on top of it, so it was exposed to snow and rain for 4 years of operation and they had to fix a catastrophic structural crack in it like every 15 months and they did that instead of have a half shift worth of scaffolding put over it. boilers are cool

I also hate people that put this poo poo outside. Especially when people in California can't figure out to put a sun shade over a touch screen, so they get facefucked by UV light.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Humphreys posted:

What the gently caress was that? Tornado?

Just a spring day in Tornado Alley.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I haven't really seen the phenomenon of power lines falling over in as light breeze.

Yeah, the poles are anchored in really well while the lines themselves are steel and give no fucks.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

I have had a problem with a hot falling on the neutral once and slowly destroying appliances all over the house, but that was more just line termination fail than overhead line fail.

Explosionface fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 17, 2017

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Jabor posted:

Depends on what you're thinking of as "close enough". You're almost certainly not getting near the furnace while it's open though - they're not going to open it up (and lose a bunch of heat) so a tour group can have a look, and when it's opened up to charge the furnace then no-one at all is allowed in the potential blast zone.

You can definitely experience the noise, as well as the baseline heat from being in the same room as the furnace while it's closed. And the tour I was on, the tour route went on a catwalk above where the steel is extruded, and you could definitely feel the heat coming off that.

I recently had the opportunity to be next to a hot rolling line for 80" rolls. The slabs they were sending down the line (roughly 10' x 5' x 8" at the part I had access to) were radiating hard enough that you could feel them pass by a good 30' away.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Spatial posted:

Chillest airports I've ever been to are Irish and Icelandic ones. The staff seem a lot happier than in the US.

I can confirm that the Irish airports are chill as gently caress. Italy was a little higher strung, but that's just Italians in general, really.

What was really fun was having to wait in line forever to get through TSA passport check, the security recheck, and running to the far end of the terminal at Dulles to make the flight back home.

Also, I had a fun case of bomb detection on my work laptop back in December. Took like 10 minutes to clear me to move on after the full pat-down.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

JFairfax posted:

in the Uk the power grid had to be ready for half time during England football matches during world cups and that because at half time everyone would put on the kettle for a cup of tea.

Reminds me of this video

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

spankmeister posted:

Is ladder logic still heavily used or have engineers moved on to "real" languages?

Ladder logic is probably the most common way to program PLCs. They also have function block and structured text ("real programming") forms that you may be able to use interchangeably. Sometimes functions are only available in one manner, more or less forcing a routine into one form over another.

e: My frame of reference is Allen-Bradley. I can't say exactly how it stacks up against Siemens, Omron, Schneider, et al.

Explosionface fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 30, 2017

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Three-Phase posted:

Newer stuff allows you to combine ladder with things like structured text and function blocks. Ladder logic is still very useful because it's very easy to program and understand. The problems is that as you want to do more complicated stuff it can get clumsy.

Also with some of the software you can make changes while the system is live, not turning the PLC into PROGRAM mode, programming, and then back to RUN mode, but you have to be extremely careful.

Also there are companies that aren't using PLCs as much and are more working with Distributed Control Systems, or DCS. If you have a small factory and a couple of standalone machines or a small assembly line, PLCs work great. If you are running an oil refinery, public utility, or power plant, you will have some PLCs but also a larger DCS network. We're talking about combining:

• Remote I/O (input/output) devices
  • Networked PLCs
  • Floor HMI (human/machine interface)
  • Control room operation controls
  • Alarm management and response
  • Process monitoring and statistics
  • Resource monitoring (electricity, fuel, raw materials)
  • System security

It can get really complicated.

Yeah, I'm making one machine that sometimes has to tie into a DCS and boy howdy, do I hate them with a passion. I just want my machine to sit fat, dumb, and happy without anybody bothering me about the 50 points they need over the dumb communications protocol of the week holding up commissioning and thus me being able to go home and sleep in my own drat bed.

But yeah, on-line editing is a lifesaver. On our safety critical application, we have it where if the switch is anywhere other than RUN mode, the machine can't operate to keep people like me from being a doofus around it.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Peetown Manning posted:

Torque wrench? You just gun it til it clicks, right?

Tighten until it loosens, then back out a quarter turn.

e: quote for context on new page

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Man, you guys sure are belting these out all over the place.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

dis astranagant posted:

You basically have to in the summer in the Midwest.

This is incredibly true.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

We only get our garbage from the cleanest, naturally filtered streams. Just as Mother Nature intended.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

I'm just lucky I only ever get bit by 120V in one hand. Just a little tickle to wake you up.

Anyways, reading through the last couple of pages, were there people thinking we (USA) use 120V three phase? Because that's not quite right. You typically see 208V, 230V, or 460V on our three phase systems (line to line voltages). On occasion, you'll see a 575/600V site like our Canadian friends like to use.

What's really fun is when a motor is built for 230 or 460 operation, but it's labeled as being "able to work" on 208. The trick to that is that it really needs to be 208 or higher. Even a slight variance down to 206V can be enough that motor overloads start tripping and poor techs out in the field are pulling their hair out over it.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, but 208V line-to-line is 120V line-to-neutral, which is why you see 208Y/120 or something like that.

Right, which is why it tends to be popular (in more office type settings). 208 for bigger stuff, and three legs of 120 for anything else.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

and then hamburgers became american :burger:

Spoils of war, man

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I've seen this in a bunch of places overseas and can't really see the advantage to stop lights that turn yellow prior to turning green since they're basically used as a signal to gun the engine 90% of the time.

Is it just a holdover from an older standard that required switching Green->Yellow->Red and Red->Yellow->Green for mechanical reasons that was kept around because "that's what everyone knows"?

I could be wrong, but I think it has more to do with manual transmissions being more popular in non USA places. The extra yellow gives them a warning to get in gear before the green hits.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

I'm a blob

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

spog posted:

Christ on a bike.

now I understand why they have to explain how the seatbelts and the whistles work.

What whistles?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Proteus Jones posted:

God drat it, if you paid attention then you would know, wouldn't you?

The funny part is I actually do pay attention. I've never heard of or seen the whistles until now with the BA video just shared. Always just the ripcord, the waist belt, and the manual fill tube/valve/whatever.

Is it an American thing that I'm in the dark on this, or do I just live in a strange corner of what airlines/planes I fly on?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Labes for days posted:

It's an excellent book and the fact that people in this very thread think that those women shouldn't have bothered fighting Radium Dial Corp is...special.

Who was arguing they shouldn't have fought back? I didn't see that anywhere.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Gina like vagina posted:

What kind of country doesn't let tradesmen wear shorts when it's hot? Nothing in Australia would ever get built if they had to wear trousers in summer (or ever). Tradie shorts are a tradition here.

I can't think of anyone in America wearing anything other than jeans during the summer. Just more breaks to cool off/hydrate when it's hot (i.e. at least over 80F)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

LifeSunDeath posted:

Everyone I knew including my boss were like "just pull the cord and lift the door, ya dingbat". I ask the repair guy if he uses some jack or something to lift them to which he says "Oh you can't lift this door, you'd get hurt, this door weighs at least 200 pounds." He proceeded to pull out a massive long handled wrench and replaced/re-tensioned the thing without ever lifting the door.

Yeah, the spring balances the door so it can be lifted easily. I've had to lift a door without spring tension before and it's no fun at all.

I've also been on the tension/detension side of things. All I can say is have two handles and make every movement slowly and deliberately, one quarter turn at a time. As you see the spring deform, you start to give it all the respect in the world.