Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Pingiivi posted:

So basically in normal, not left for crazy dudes with too much money, use these silos would've also collected some water and they needed to be pumped out regularly?

The control center, access portal, and silo all had sumps with automatic pumps. My first job in the Air Force was on a Titan II launch crew in Wichita KS.

My OSHA story from that era is when the large electrical motor that pressurized the fire suppression system turned on in the middle of the day. Unfortunately the pump bearings seized and the motor quickly went from smoking to flames pouring out of the sides. Luckily two of us were in the silo doing our daily inspection when it happened. I killed the power and emptied an extinguisher into the motor. It happened very fast and only afterwards did I think about how badly it could have gone wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Speaking of post-apocalyptic OSHA, the Kelvedon Hatch Secret Nuclear Bunker (conveniently signposted everywhere in the east of England) shows a pretty basic lack of foresight - the power generators were of course outside the filtered and sealed bunker, because big diesel generators in an hermetically sealed environment tend to shorten, rather than extend, the lives of the people in the room.

We actually had a diesel generator set inside the silo so we could stay operational if the grid went down (or a not-too-close nuclear strike). It was large and loud and barely fit in the silo workspace. It was a very unpleasant thing to be near during periodic maintenance runs.

I kept this plate from my home site's diesel when the place was decommissioned. Six cylinders, 8.5 inch bore and 10.5 inch stroke.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Are avocado seeds so easy to cut that someone could accidentally stab all the way through it?

An avocado pit has two halves. If you stab it right on the seam there isn't much resistance.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz95_VvTxZM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N17tEW_WEU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpWeU2fvFGs

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

He just wanted to get back to his roots.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

How did they land there in the first place and is there video?

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

I was an enlisted Missile Combat Crew Member for the Titan-II ICBM in Wichita, KS (before they were deactivated).

This might be a little OSHA. It's my personal hardhat painted in "turtle" camouflage. It's also a bit scuffed up.

Sometimes when we were bored we'd have a contest to see who could skip their hardhat down the long cableway without hitting the sides. We called it Turtle Racing (hence my nice paint job).

I have fond memories of the Cold War.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Serephina posted:

Thread suddenly pulled up!

Any OSHA stuff to share? Launch codes set to "1111" or somesuch?

The only time it got really exciting was when I was doing a Daily Shift Verification Checklist in the silo. There was an extensive fire suppression system that was pressurized by a large electric motor and pump. I heard the motor try to start from two floors above it. The motor intermittently starting wasn't unusual, that day it made a loud angry groan instead. The bearings had frozen and the motor was angrily trying to do its job.

When we got to the correct floor it was shooting two-foot flames out the sides and still trying to turn. We got the breaker flipped off and blasted a couple extinguishers into its vents. It was a long alert shift with all the maintenance activity but we got our picture into an issue of Combat Crew magazine. The irony of the fire water system trying to burn down the silo was not lost on us.

Other than that it might have been the most fun and casual job I've ever had. Once we got to the site everyone changed clothes and just hung out for 24 hours. You could get away with a lot (barbeques, lots of TV, turning topside maintenance pits into swimming pools). Safe in the knowledge that NOBODY was going to show up for a surprise visit unless we wanted to let them in.

MutantBlue fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 15, 2018

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

They made a documentary about the Van Allen radiation belt catching fire. Maybe some of you have watched it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrpM4_fPIT4

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

MutantBlue posted:

I have fond memories of the Cold War.

Detective Thompson posted:

Did you also get to carry a Smith & Wesson with staghorn grips in a cross-draw holster?

We were qualified with .38 caliber revolvers and carried them whenever someone other than the crew or a security detail was on site. Sorry, no staghorn, cross-draw, or shoulder holsters.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

They should make steel out of bamboo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

I didn't know Tesla made self-driving tractors.