Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

:catstare: Jesus, that guy got yanked through there fast

Don't worry, it was just the personal ads.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

I dont get it? Whats wrong with this? Unless they just keep driving?

Nothing, it's clever.

Compared to the rest of the nightmare that is logging, this is probably one of the safer events of the day.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
Right? Imagine if a person died because it was a Mad Katz?

"YOU'RE JUST DRIVING IN CIRCLES AND INTO THE WALL! THERE IS A HOSTAGE IN THERE, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?"

"SIR MY CONTROLLER IS A MAD KATZ."

"NO poo poo RAMIREZ, THATS THE GUEST CONTROLLER AND YOU ARE THE GUEST."

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

satanic splash-back posted:

Yeah, you're right, political affiliation has everything to do with general intelligence and job skills.

I've never met a college educated libertarian social worker

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

JoelJoel posted:

Lol, rear wheel drive in snow. Good luck even getting out of your driveway.

But yeah, let's stop talking about snow tires.

Rear-wheel drive used to be bad in the snow, but that was because there wasn't really enough weight over the drive tires. Now that cars weigh so much, a RWD car with good winter tires on is fine in the snow. Obviously a light-weight RWD sports car is going to be crappier, but stuff like modern BMWs and Chargers actually do alright once you know what you're doing.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 8, 2016

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Paternosters are where it's at.

An ex of mine went to the University of Sheffield where they had one of these. People would prank freshmen by going over the top and ripping their clothes, using some theater blood and standing on their head to make it look like horrible things happen if you go around.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

D1Sergo posted:

Huh, for an olde-timey device that's kind of cool.

and full of chemicals so harmful i don't think you can even sell them at antique stores! at least i know ebay bans them if they're filled with the good chemical.

zedprime posted:

Extinguishing fires with halogenated carbons is the closest thing to a magic trick, you need astonishingly little because they tend to be outright fire inhibitors in most fire circumstances as opposed to oxygen displacers like CO2 or temperature control like water deluge.

Creating phosgene (or the fluorine analog for fluorinated carbons) isn't the biggest deal in the world. Homegoods are absolutely filled with chlorinated and fluorinated plastics which will do the same when on fire. Smoke inhalation is a huge killer and firefighter bunker gear is equivalent to pretty hefty chemical protection.

Carbon tet is pretty mean on a health basis outright though and was phased out for a variety of other halogenated carbons with inhibition properties. Except oh hey the same sort of inhibition reactions also eat the ozone layer so the Montreal Protocol killed the common ones and it seems they're just catching back up with a solely fluorinated option.

People typically think of a death by smoke inhalation as being overwhelmed by smoke and suffocating specifically due to a lack of oxygen, but a lot of the time you're straight up poisoned by fumes from burning carpet, glues, paints, PVC pipes... household cleaners.... the list goes on and on. Burning buildings produce horrible, horrible smoke and fumes.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 9, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Applesnots posted:

A few years ago my girlfriend had an injection of some kind of radioactive dye, I am guessing iodine 131. And man that poo poo was HOT. I have some uranium ore samples, some marbles, glass and some americurium from a smoke detector, but drat. she would set my giger counter to its overload when she was outside! Ten feet away! through a cinder block wall! Her spit would do the same thing. it was nuts. My giger counter has a little alarm that would beep when it was trying to say, Hey, this is not safe.

does she have super powers?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
Those are Vietnamese Pot-Bellied Pod Racers

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

MF_James posted:

You fucker, this is exactly what I thought when I saw this. What the gently caress is this contraption? It seems similar to the stand-up riding lawnmowers that all the lawn care companies use, but uhhh I doubt it's just some more dangerous rice field version.

Maybe some sort of tiller or aerator? I see what looks like a rotating blade on the bottom.

Yea I don't have the context for it, but I'm pretty sure it's for preparing a rice paddy.

Side note, do you guys know why rice is typically grown in water like this? It's not because the rice requires it, but because not much else will grow in the water. That means less weeding and higher yields.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 22, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Applebee123 posted:

Its a known fact that China builds all its industrial machines out of haunted steel that hungers for human blood, it has its downsides but its a bit cheaper so helps you stay on budget.

sometimes the humans kinda ask for it tho

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Zipperelli. posted:

Much more reasonable than 44 departments. 100 crew members is still on the overkill side, but so long as no one was injured, all's well that end's well, I suppose.

it's because it was in a dense commercial/residential area so they want a lot of firefighters to make sure its totally contained, not necessarily to fight the fire in that particular building. those buildings are all like 150 years old too so it's not like they can just rebuild them easily if they do get damaged.

and it's across the river from Maine, and 35 minutes to a few towns in Massachusetts so the "three states responding" part is less of a big deal than it sounds

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...709!4d-70.75714

Tumble fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 11, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sewer gas does poo poo.

it's the second explosion that blows his clothes off that makes this gif such a classic

one of the all-time greats in my opinion

does anybody know the background here? did people die? i've always wondered if it's as deadly as it seems

Tumble fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 12, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Platystemon posted:

The way it just hangs there for a moment. :discourse:

just a fraction of a second to get that perfect fuel/air mixture before the lid blasts on outta there

edit - sewer drama! watch though the end, it returns!.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BkFp5CL4q0

Tumble fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 12, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

VectorSigma posted:

at 66 km/s that thing was nothing more than a warm breeze by the time it hit the tropopause

it was probably going too fast to totally burn up

http://www.businessinsider.com/fast...ure-happened-17

the scientist that designed those tests is fairly confident it made it to space!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

oohhboy posted:

Planes and Trucks are massively different problems and are not comparable. When truck goes wrong it gets to hit the breaks and park on the side of the road. It has an easy fail safe option. Planes don't.

An automated plane doesn't have that. If poo poo hits the fan where is it going to land? How would it choose? I am not talking about selecting an alternate, I mean you are going crash and somehow do it safely. Given the state of software that isn't written for spacecraft like the Shuttle was I don't look forward to the next time it bugs out mid flight. What about if it gets hacked and is hi-jack remotely? Are you going to shoot it down? A hostage taker can fly the plane with no risk to themselves. With zero day exploits you could take entire fleets hostage and crash them at will.

Ask yourself, would you trust your life to Windows?

If poo poo has actually hit the fan your odds are bad in a plane no matter who or what is driving. You realize that Sully landing the plane on the Hudson River was very unusual right? If a person is capable of selecting a landing spot, so could a computer. Your objections are valid and will need to be addressed, but it doesn't mean that computer pilots are an overall bad idea and not going to happen.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
lol that anybody here thinks they'd be interesting enough for anybody to ever hack

"guys a very small number of people know of vulnerabilities that take a ton of technical knowledge to act on, therefore modernizing cars is bad"

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
i think it's very funny that goons will nitpick incredibly unlikely scenarios to death and then say "AND THE MANUFACTURERS WILL NEVER FIX IT!"

if a bunch of ordinary peoples cars started getting hacked, you can bet there would be a recall the likes of which has never been seen before. did you guys forget about the Takata airbag recall already? How about frame rust issues on Toyota trucks? Every Toyota dealership in the Northeast has a guy on staff that exclusively does frame swaps. Also, my car gets software updates when needed so I'm not sure why people are saying they never get done. They don't add on entirely new OS's, but they can get little software fixes.

Phanatic posted:

There were a couple cases where the floor mats tangled with the pedal, but yeah, it was mostly user error. We went through the exact same thing with the Audi 5000 in the mid-80s, and it was the same thing: olds mashing the wrong pedal.

In fairness this time around it was complicated by Toyota's lovely AI. Since instead of a key, a ubiquitous interface that absolutely everyone on the planet understands, they decided to go with a pushbutton starter. If you're sitting stopped, and your car's running, you push the button to turn it off. But since you don't want people accidentally turning their car off at 70mph if they shift in their seat and bump the button or something, what you do is you make the switch modal, without telling anyone (except in the user manual, and who reads that?): if the car's in motion, you have to push the button and hold it in for a few seconds. So the number two thing on the "stuck throttle" checklist, turn the car off, was being attempted by panicky people who'd just push the button and have nothing happen.

The investigation found that there were a few cases where the root cause were the floor mats getting entangled in the pedals.

UI, but yea the issue really comes down to people buying a car with a different driver interface and not reading the manual. There is method to the Prius's design madness but I think it was kind of foolish to make it as esoteric to old people as they did. If you'd been driving cars for 50 years, the Prius was different enough to cause confusion.

But the acceleration issues were all user error.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 23, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

this reminds me of that incident about this time last year where a bunch of tourists in yellowstone grabbed a buffalo calf that they thought "was freezing" and shoved it in their minivan and turned it in to the park rangers, but when the rangers tried to give it back it got rejected by the herd and had to be put down

I think they shoved it into their car too, lmfao

the little baby calf imprinted on cars and humans and was refusing to eat, and the original herd wouldn't take it back, so they killed it

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Except that the Tsar Bomba was far, far too large to ever be delivered by ICBM. That had nothing to do with why they built it.

Yea, it was specifically designed for propaganda purposes. It had always been overkill for real-world applications - if it was used on England, fallout would have drifted across a large number of other countries. In the US, only 3 cities -New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles - were large enough targets to use for it, but it was so large and unwieldy that even if it had the fuel to reach them (it didn't), it would have been in the air over the U.S for over 8 hours, meaning it would surely be shot down.

The sweet spot for optimal damage against a city is multiple hundred-kiloton warheads anyways, since you do more damage with far less fissile material.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Bistromatic posted:

Are torx screws a thing in the states? Because those are obviously the best.

Also i was pretty weirded out when i first learned of the square hole screws they have in canada.

yes they are a major thing now. impact drivers and star/torx screws are used in carpentry a loving ton. around here they're used the way nailguns used to be for framing.

philips still reigns for drywall, everything else is going to the torx way

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Skellybones posted:

What about the vulture?

Gonna eat him

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Platystemon posted:

There were a lot of tests that were larger than expected for whatever reason, most notably Castle Bravo.

There is a really cool book about DARPA called The Pentagons Brain (by Annie Jacobson, who also wrote a pretty cool book about Area 51) and near the beginning it talks about the absolute terror the scientists faced when they realized the bomb they were testing was much more powerful than it was projected to be. One of the neat OSHA-y parts is that a senior scientist forgot his special Atom-Proof goggles downstairs and there wasn't enough time for him to go get them (ya know, before the thermonuclear bomb went off) so he took a set off a younger scientist, and the younger scientist turned his back to watch what he could of the show from that angle.

"The presence of x-rays made the unseen visible. In the flash of Teller light, Freedman - who was watching the scientists for their reactions - could see their facial bones. In front of me... they were skeletons. Their faces no longer appeared to be human faces, just jawbones and eye sockets. Rows of teeth. Skulls.

Inside the bunker, the firing party was silent. They could not feel or see the fireball. All they had to go on was the violent electronic chatter on the equipment racks. O'Keefe, another scientist, had calculated that it would take 45 seconds for the shock wave to travel the nineteen miles from ground zero across the lagoon and hit the bunker. And so when the bunker began to shudder and sway, O'Keefe instantly knew that something unexpected had happened. He recalled: the whole building was moving. Not shaking or or shuddering as it would from the shock wave that had not arrived yet, but a slow, perceptible motion. Like a ships roll. He felt nauseated, completely unable to get it through his head that the building was moving. Objects on the surfaces and walls began to rattle, slide and crash. It was impossible for the shock wave to have reached the island, but the bunker was moving, the motion was unmistakable as it built up.

Lights flickered, and the wall began to bulge. Then there was a loud and frightening crash, like a thunderclap, as the giant steel door beat like a drumhead. Then the worst possible element was thrown into the mix: WATER. THERE IS WATER COMING IN. His legs went rubbery - it was too early for a tidal wave, and he began to think that perhaps the entire ocean had erupted around them. Their bunker would now be at the bottom of the lagoon, a watery tomb. Dr. John Clark sent a technician to investigate. The technician found that the bunker was not underwater at all, the water had come from burst pipes. The group then decided to take a look outside, Geiger counters in hand.

The situation was worse than anybody could have anticipated. Palm trees were on fire. Dead birds littered the land. There was no visible life, and they sensed that there might not be life anywhere. The sun was blotted out behind the nuclear mushroom cloud. The air was filled with a whitish chaff, O'Keefe recalled. He stuck out his hand, which was soon covered with a substance like talcum powder. When O'Keefe turned on his Geiger counter to check for radiation, the needle spiked. Someone else shouted out a dangerous radiation level. If a human were exposed to this level of radiation for 25 minutes, they would be dead. The men all ran back into the bunker, but inside, behind three-foot concrete walls, there were also life-threatening radiation levels. The group retreaded to a region far back in the bunker, behind a second concrete wall block where the urinals were. They called for an emergency evacuation but were told it was too dangerous to send a helicopter just yet. The bunker was designed with a ten-thousand factor of radiation blocking. Whatever was going inside the bunker, outside it was ten thousand times worse. They were just going to have to wait it out."

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

HERAK posted:

If one end is plugged in to a live socket the pins are live and present a very real risk shock. They are also commonly associated with having screwed something up somewhere else and can be a red flag that the rest of the installation is, at the very least, a little suspect.

if you go to local hardware stores around Christmas The Holidays, you'll see signs up telling people they don't stock and won't stock male/male plugs. They're usually taped up around the big sets of outdoor lights, or near the extension cords. "We WILL NEVER stock MALE/MALE CORDS, THEY ARE DANGEROUS AND ILLEGAL. YOU WILL HAVE TO FIGURE OUT A LESS DEADLY WAY TO LIGHT UP YOUR CHRISTMAS LIGHTS."

99% of the requests come from people that put up their lights backwards

Tumble fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 16, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

azurite posted:

Oh God. So if someone fashions one of these, it means they have an inadequately or un-covered male plug at the other end of their lights, right?! :ohdear:

yea, it's a major warning sign for two reasons: 1, it means you're dumb enough to put your lights up backwards; and 2, it means you're dumb enough to either not want to just buy an outdoor extension cord and run it up to your roof or you're actually dumb enough to have considered it, but still figure that a male/male plug is still a better idea.

basically as soon as you come looking for the male/male cord your name should go into a database and people should be performing daily welfare checks on you.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
i don't need the loving straps tho, that's for wimps

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I had to do one of those, but I was running a tobacco store unsupervised, so I could kind of understand it. Thing is, they didn't tell me about it until I was already on the job for two weeks. I told my district manager straight up that I smoke weed after work and I'm not gonna pass it. He says he'd send back the sample empty to buy me a few weeks of "probation" to decide if he could trust me. A few months later I asked whatever happened with that drug test, and he said he just sent his hair in instead. Best boss ever.

it's not that understandable for a basic-rear end retail store to do a friggin follicle test.

i've had a couple of jobs in the past spring a drug test on me immediately after an interview and on one of them I just flat out said "oh I forgot that was going to be a thing, I smoked weed last weekend." and the manager was like "uh just don't smoke for a month or so and we'll set up a test for after that" and then I was never actually tested.

another time i took the test expecting to fail because I didn't really want the job anyways, so i got a call from the manager a week later and he's like "Well we got your test results back" and I'm already talking to him on the phone with my shoulders shrugged, when he says "When can you start?". i guess a lot of places don't even test every sample? just being willing to submit to the test itself is good enough i guess

one of these days I want to say "A drug test!? I can every one by sight AND taste, I'm gonna do great!" but I haven't been tested in years and years.

Phanatic posted:

No such lens. In the far field lasers diverge as the inverse square just like isotropic EM sources do. The point of the lens is to focus the beam at the distance of what you're trying to hit, keeping the beam from diverging is a physical impossibility; you would need an infinitely-wide lens to do that.

so how far away do you think that beast could gently caress somebodies car up from? give me your best estimate please

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Phanatic posted:

5 kW, maybe a mile or so?. The Navy's laser weapon system they've mounted on the USS Ponce is basically 6 COTS 5kW welding lasers mounted to converge on the same point, and that's taken down drones at distances of about a mile. You'd have to hold the beam on the car for a good long time, though. For something really useful as a weapon you need to start getting up into the 100 kilowatt range.

a hand-held ray gun that could gently caress a car up from a mile away is plenty powerful enough for me and minions, i'm still in the beginning stages of being a lunatic so i'm not too picky just yet

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Lime Tonics posted:

So today at work, we had to clean out a warehouse/garage deal. People didn't pay the rent, left the place half full of crap. SO we go in and start cleaning it out. Dude pulls a box full of 9 inch bolts, it slips, full force into his kidney. He gets up, "oh everythings fine". Fast forward 3 hours later, the dude is writhing in pain, like on the ground. He pees out blood and passes a kidney stone. The ambulance comes, he gets to the ER, xrayed and all that, dudes got like 9 kidney stones.

I guess the moral of the story is, a box of bolts falling on you cures kidney stones.

uhg I still remember my friend discovering he had kidney stones at a party. he went in to pee and started crying and screaming, called me in to help him and my rear end in a top hat self at first was like "uh no dude I don't want to go in there" and then he screamed some more and I realized he's in nasty pain.

took him to the ER, he came out a couple hours later doped up but still obviously in pain. they gave him percocet and he wanted to share but after hearing him cry and scream i was like "uhh you better keep those for yourself dude"

so i only took a couple from him and we played watched a bunch of movies high as kites

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Are you panicking right now?

Progress has already greatly slowed. A plateau isn’t all that different from what we’ve had for the last few years.

Computers will still work fine, they just won’t get faster, smaller, or more efficient from one year to the next.

small, fast and efficient ones will get cheaper though, so there is still light at the end of the tunnel.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Grem posted:

The longer an ambulance stays on scene than better the outcome, usually. They haul rear end if someone ia about to kick it on scene.

or the person is obviously dead

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

haveblue posted:

Yeah, after looking around I fell for an urban legend. There is no seatbelt animation. There is a helmet animation but it doesn't seem to actually protect you any more than driving around bareheaded.

the helmet does protect you from injuries, but the injuries are physics based so you can still get somewhat randomly hosed up even with them on

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
imagine how good of a steak you could cook on that thing though!?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, if they see it. A lot of stations have one person working nights who is also emptying the trash, stocking products, and doing every other drat thing.

Of course, if there is plausible deniability idiot management might allow it because big $ transaction.

nah, gas stations make very little money on the actual gas, they make most of their money when people come in and buy soda and candy and hotdogs and stuff. i think gas stations make a few cents per gallon at most (although more on diesel and higher grades of gas, but still not very much compared to the stuff inside the gas station)

they much prefer a lot of people coming to buy a bit of gas, rather than a few people buying a lot of gas.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 1, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Warbadger posted:

Despite every car parts shop and internet hardware store being, essentially, a 100% unregulated one-stop-suppressor-shop we are still somehow not seeing ninja assassin suppressor crime.

i suppose the people smart enough to build their own suppressors and use them in crimes are the kinds of people that also get away with their crimes.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

on the bright side, a proper use of portrait mode!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
What the gently caress kind of map is that?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
https://i.imgur.com/4kHst7y.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

HOLY gently caress that cable bounced off the bucket a couple of times it looks like! Possibly not, but it sure got freakin close. It's tough to tell because of the angle.
That could have really sucked if it managed to catch him.
uh maybe if he were a ghost but i think if a human touched that beam he wouldn't be caught, just electrocuted