Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Even if there was an attempt to contaminate a tank and waste some UC money, the disaster was only possible (and inevitable) because of all the safety corners they'd cut to save a buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
In other words, the CE mark is as shoddily-copied as the items it's affixed to.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Mistle posted:

China is notorious for making things similar but not quite the same. And cheap imports will blatantly skirt trademarks/brands/whatever they can to make a sale. Really, the market is caveat emptor personified.

And I think this video shows what a natural gas leak can end up looking like when it goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4iqiZOuAxM

Big boom, lots of force, minimal fire, but the shockwave and expansion rate is definitely not leaving much in the immediate area.

That reminds me of a note I saw on a job sheet for a (scheduled) gas meter replacement the other day: "Leak on outlet, wadded off already and customer knew she had leaks"

Who the gently caress knows they have a leak and just... lives with it? :stare:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

chitoryu12 posted:

Look at how fast he got flung backwards as the pole hit. He definitely got smashed.

He's belted into a seat that gets knocked off its mounting.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWtdtuspnoM

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
"And I'm running out of film, gee I hope I've got enough to film the crash"

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Improbable Lobster posted:

Wasps are really cool and I'm sad that so many people are frightened of them for dumb reasons

Bees are great. Wasps eat bees. gently caress wasps.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
They breed them special up there.

I process job orders from several states and every batch from Queensland has some stupid gently caress-up in it that I have to fix for them before I can do my own job. Queensland produces more problems than all the other states put together.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If the cake'd been another couple of centimetres forward then it would have had a giant red warning on it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm dying to know how he got that on/off the freeway

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

f#a# posted:

Anti-OSHA.jpg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUiyrKHIxAg

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Three-Phase posted:

I had a relative who showed up to church with suit jacket, dress shoes, shirt and tie, and their side shields still on. :cripes:

Eye protection sounds like a sensible choice when seeing the glory of the coming of the lord.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
On a similar note, Whisky saves man's eyesight after being blinded by vodka

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Spiteski posted:

It's fake. Watch the palm tree in the background as he goes to settle after telling the guy "the one on the left"

Are you talking about a different video? The last segment of the video Phanatic posted had a guy getting smacked in the head by an excavator bucket in some retarded ice bucket challenge effort. There's no talking or palm trees.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Ah, the lovely quality of the other version made the tree easier to miss.

I feel better now for not having watched someone die.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

flosofl posted:

What, the chute not opening until you're in the water?

The chute trying its best to drown you after you hit the water.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Inflated bladders have a long and storied history.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The response was to blame the victims, quite literally
Sounds fair to me. Trains are blameless, holy creatures.

Here's a warning device they could install: one or more pairs of steel rails, embedded in the road surface, to indicate where trains might cross.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(Back to OSHA) You do not put warning signs on steel presses. You install lockout devices.
Lock out the road, there's a car on it!

If someone gets hit by a train, they were a loving idiot. I feel sorry for their family, but the moron clearly had it coming (it being a train, presumably).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

https://gifsound.com/?gifv=bpH0T0T&v=LAPo1dgrHms

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That truck's got its turn indicator on, not hazard lights.

Also holy poo poo now I've watched it to the end I realise why they included that second view from the other camera :stare:

GotLag fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 20, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Humphreys posted:

Probably like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PExatK4_Ahs

Great documentary series and full of OSHA.

If the Wikipedia description is complete, then only two were killed and two injured on this project.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Did the video thumbnail clue you in?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Televised public floggings for people who drive oversize vehicles under that bridge.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

bend posted:

honestly the easiest solution is to build up the road and make it a flat crossing, not an overpass. Admittedly that probably brings in all sorts of traffic control and timing issues, and costs more than dragging trucks out from under the bridge and fining the idiot driving though, but it is more or less a one off cost if you were really determined to solve it.
I'd guess that it's been considered and rejected for one reason or another though.

But then you get idiots stopping their trucks across the tracks.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
"Auspuff" is the most adorable word for exhaust

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Preserve it as it is now and in the robotic near future people will flock to see this quaint example of what human drivers wrought.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I do like the sewage ford idea, though.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Big Steveo posted:

I'm Australian

Username checks out

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Collateral Damage posted:

The "funny house" at the Stockholm amusement park has moving stairs like that leading up to the entrance. They're really simple when you just follow the rhythm, but it's amusing to watch people gently caress it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn10aErrE7M

Please tell me there's more footage like this. It slays me the way he finally gets one transfer right, only to immediately jump back on to the now-descending step.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Why the gently caress are these people driving so fast they can't see a toll station in fog?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Three-Phase posted:

https://youtu.be/tInDH2FeXaM

"The train ran over some bags a Snickers bar a man and a glove."

Youtube commenter posted:

The audio-to-video synchronization is incorrect. Why is the audio-to-video synchronization incorrect? The audio-to-video synchronization is off by 0.51 seconds. The audio is 0.51 seconds ahead of the video. The voices make sounds 0.51 seconds before the lips move. That is 0.51 seconds faster than correct. Now everything is incorrect. That is bad. Everything must be correct. This video must be fixed so it can be correct.
:golfclap:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
By Mythbusters or by people who actually know how to set up and run an experiment?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yes, but did they get so many lined up so perfectly?

They're council workers, they've never done something so precise in their lives.

No they're not, they're bricklayers engaged in bricklaying.

Edit: in Australia pretty much any tradesman working outdoors wears high-vis

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dillbag posted:

he clearly says "badass", not piss

Why on earth would you think that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Looks like they're trying to knock down some kind of security mesh that's closing off access to the ramp?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
A whole bunch of Russian nuclear subs have windows
on the conning tower, outside the pressure hull

Ramc posted:

Is there anything you can do if you get some on your figure and notice it immediately?

Like immediately sever your finger or how does this work.

It goes through latex like it's not there, but IIRC it's stopped by nitrile. So wear nitrile/laminated gloves.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

flosofl posted:

I think that's your only choice. PVC does nothing either, IIRC.

So it does:

quote:

Permeation tests showed that several types of disposable latex or polyvinyl chloride gloves (typically, about 0.1 mm thick), commonly used in most laboratories and clinical settings, had high and maximal rates of permeation by dimethylmercury within 15 seconds. The American Occupational Safety and Health Administration advises handling dimethylmercury with highly resistant laminated gloves with an additional pair of abrasion-resistant gloves worn over the laminate pair, and also recommends using a face shield and working in a fume hood.

I'd recommend not handling it at all.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dr.Smasher posted:

I think it's been mentioned before but everyone in that picture died from exposure to asbestos.

I'm not sure if this video will work for people outside Australia, but there's a very good report on it:
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2011/08/08/3288499.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Wittenoom is just all sorts of hosed up. Not only did the company know that it was incredibly dangerous, the mine wasn't even profitable*. As far as I can tell, it was kept open mainly as an excuse to engage in moustache-twirling.

* "For most of the years CSR mined asbestos, the operation lost money. It struggled into profit for the five years from 1956, and then only by making its workforce work two and even three shifts a day. When the mine closed it had an accumulated debt of around $2.5 million."