Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max
Nov 30, 2002

Exile Token on the Celebrity

I suggest that one of our town players switch the conman back with the scientist's card that is not underneath them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Sorry, too tired to update atm, but assume that all of that which happened was handled correct and is good. It's PBS Newshour's turn, there are 2 exile tokens on the Hermit and 1 on the Celebrity. Max switched the Conman's card with the Scientist's hidden card. Everything else should be the same as end of last post. Thanks.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Reveal Actor, Use Therapist ability on MG2

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Alright, MG2 is clear, which is good to know, but it also means we don't have to worry about the child still which is doubly good

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
question celebrity, show trait to MG2

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That's the third time we've questioned the celebrity, yeah?

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
The card of the celebrities I saw did not lead me to believe he's a cultist. And pbs is clear also

Max
Nov 30, 2002

So the conman currently has a card that should really go to the bottom card of the scientist. If the celebrity is clear (the card I saw indicates not a cultist) then it would be best to keep the conman next to the hermit.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
I'll wait for PBS to make his exile vote, then get a new updated post with all the stuff that went down last 2 turns.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Place a token on the celebrity

We know for now the child is clear, so yeah even though the celebrity is clear we know where the prophet is

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, in my mind we get the scientist next to the hermit and we'll be safe.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh sorry
exile token on celebrity

Our biggest problems is just the eldars moving poo poo around now

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
And if we have another eldar...

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
We're officially on the downhill slide of the game now. Four turns left! Refer to action log at bottom of post for recap.

TURN 9:

Action Queue: Asiina, question a survivor and place a vote.

CURRENT PLAY SPACE

Turn Order: Chili Max, PBS Newshour, Asiina, Meinberg, MG2, Somberbrero.

Survivors:
  1. UNDERGRAD: (2) Look at both traits. Then, draw one trait from any other survivor (do not look at it) and shuffle them all together. Return two traits to the undergrad and one to the survivor you drew from.
  2. CHILD: (1) After questioning, the child is exhausted until a survivor has been voted out of the bunker. EXHAUSTED
  3. CONMAN: (1) Switch the conman's trait with any other trait of your choice. Then, view the conman's new trait.
  4. :banme::banme: HERMIT: (1) You may not look at the hermit's trait card.
  5. :banme::banme: CELEBRITY: (3) Draw and look at the top trait, then show it to another player of your choice. Place the viewed trait on the bottom of the stack.
  6. SCIENTIST: (2) Draw and look at one trait. You may not look at the trait card underneath the scientist.

The order is cyclical, meaning the SCIENTIST is also adjacent to the CHILD.

ACTION HISTORY:

1.1: CHILI questions the CONMAN, switching the CONMAN's trait with the HERMIT's trait before viewing the CONMAN's new trait. The CONMAN is exhausted.
1.2: CHILI places an exile token on the UNDERGRAD.
2.1: PBS NEWSHOUR questions the UNDERGRAD, viewing her two traits before shuffling them with the CHILD's trait, then redistributing them. The CONMAN is unexhausted, the UNDERGRAD is exhausted.
2.2: PBS NEWSHOUR places an exile token on the HERMIT.
3.1: ASIINA questions the CONMAN, switching the CONMAN's trait with the HERMIT's trait before viewing the CONMAN's new trait. The UNDERGRAD is unexhausted, the CONMAN is exhausted.
3.2: ASIINA places an exile token on the HERMIT.
4.1: MEINBERG questions the CELEBRITY, showing the trait to PBS NEWSHOUR before placing it at the bottom of her stack. The CELEBRITY is exhausted, the CONMAN is unexhausted.
4.2: MEINBERG places an exile token on the UNDERGRAD.
5.1: MG2 questions the CHILD. MG2 views the CHILD's traid and places it back. The CHILD is exhausted. The CELEBRITY is unexhausted.
5.2: MG2 places an exile token on the UNDERGRAD.
6.1: SOMBERBRERO reveals his THERAPIST ability. He shows his identity card to Asiina in exchange for seeing Asiina's identity.
6.2: SOMBERBRERO questions the CELEBRITY, showing the trait to MAX before placing it at the bottom of her stack. The CELEBRITY is exhausted.
6.3: SOMBERBRERO places an exile token on the UNDERGRAD.
6.4: The UNDERGRAD has the most tokens at the end of Turn 6. The UNDERGRAD is exiled.
6.5: MEINBERG reveals his PSYCHIC ability. He views the UNDERGRAD's traits.
7.1: MAX questions the CONMAN, switching his trait for the SCIENTIST's hidden trait. The CONMAN is exhausted. The CELEBRITY is unexhausted.
7.2: MAX places an exile token on the CELEBRITY.
8.1: PBS NEWSHOUR reveals as the ACTOR, and uses the THERAPIST ability on MG2, viewing each other's identity cards.
8.2: PBS NEWSHOUR questions the CELEBRITY showing the trait to MG2 before placing it at the bottom of her stack. The CELEBRITY is exhausted. The CONMAN is UNEXHAUSTED.
8.3: PBS NEWSHOUR places an exile toke on the CELEBRITY.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this is where asiina ruins everything ahh!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
No don't do it Asiina what about friendship?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I find this impossible to follow and wouldn't even know how to begin to mess it up.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
(me too I am glad I do not have the pressure of being a scum. I know it's not that complicated but my brain fills with white noise when I try to think about it.)

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Part of it is not k owing where the other beneficial traits are and how to gently caress with them. Ideally you could drop a bunch of good ones on celeb and then exile, but that only works if your turn order puts you near the end.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I mean let's be honest about this, since I'd like to understand this game, but I have no idea.

It feels like there are too many things to keep track of that even if I was trying to go along, I'm not sure what I would do, nevermind trying to sabotage, nevermind trying to sabotage covertly.

And since I'm third, I can't control the vote since you all can just pile your votes on somewhere else.

I think this may, in fact, be a bad game.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The survivors and their rules, the pseudo-random abilities and their rules, the traits and their rules, the randomized player order and then on top of that you have someone who has to try to sabotage the game secretly. It's way too much.

Part of it might be the forum format, since not watching the physical cards move around makes it all feel too abstract and hard to follow.

I couldn't tell you what card is under what survivor, what each card means without looking it up and trying to figure out the interaction, what your plan is and how I could even begin to try to mess it up. And none of that includes the abilities we all have.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
If this was a game I was playing with my friends I would have walked away from the table long ago.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this would be better in person

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it needs much more of an active discussion, and like yeah we play mafia pretty "actively" as a community on this site, but forums discussion is just inherently passive.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think this is actually a good, and maybe even brilliant game. I just don't know if it translates well here. Like even on skype it would work better.
Another thing going for it in person is you could probably play this in like 15 minutes? I am gonig to print this out and try it for sure.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Definitely would be better in person.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I am concerned that we haven't actually found a cultist card yet, apparently.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Wait, how many possible cultist cards are there? 2?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

I think this is actually a good, and maybe even brilliant game. I just don't know if it translates well here. Like even on skype it would work better.
Another thing going for it in person is you could probably play this in like 15 minutes? I am gonig to print this out and try it for sure.

Nah, it feels like there's too many things for the sake of having things. The game feels bloated.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Max posted:

I am concerned that we haven't actually found a cultist card yet, apparently.

There was a cultist card. Where it is now and whether it will count in the end, I couldn't begin to tell you.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Well, that means the scientist has it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Like my favorite setups of mafia on this site typically involve the ones where there is kinda a mystery to the setup, you get these little clues from dead roles and what powers are in the game, maybe a few hints from flavor, and then you try to puzzle out the clockwork. But mafia really isn't meant to be play like that, and it typically can only work for a few special occasions like The Final Frontier game.

What this game does is that it still presents that kinda sense of mystery of finding out what the puzzle here is, while still keeping the whole idea of paranoia from traitors. Its really neat, but I think this really doesn't come across in a forums environment. Like I said this in my PM, but this is basically a version of resistance where everyone is a team captain at once, and you only have one mission to fail. This makes communication even more important than it is in the Resistance in someways, and yeah, Resistance doesn't work well on forums either.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
One thing that might help in a future PBF game would be to give each of the trait cards a unique number, to make it more practical to track how they've moved around and talk about them.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

Like my favorite setups of mafia on this site typically involve the ones where there is kinda a mystery to the setup, you get these little clues from dead roles and what powers are in the game, maybe a few hints from flavor, and then you try to puzzle out the clockwork. But mafia really isn't meant to be play like that, and it typically can only work for a few special occasions like The Final Frontier game.

What this game does is that it still presents that kinda sense of mystery of finding out what the puzzle here is, while still keeping the whole idea of paranoia from traitors. Its really neat, but I think this really doesn't come across in a forums environment. Like I said this in my PM, but this is basically a version of resistance where everyone is a team captain at once, and you only have one mission to fail. This makes communication even more important than it is in the Resistance in someways, and yeah, Resistance doesn't work well on forums either.

I think it also doesn't help from a mafia pov that I don't have any extra knowledge whatsoever. There's no benefit to being a cult leader, it's just straight up more difficult. In mafia and in Resistance the bad guys have knowledge that the good guys don't, even just by knowing each other. I have nothing here that helps me if you decide to work together, and because I'm 3rd, you can just shut me out.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Actually i think cult leader is probably easier than town, there is a reason why there is a chance for them to not even be in the game

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
No, it's really not.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Also you are kinda winning.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Like you just have to use the conman and I am pretty sure you won this

And you can use the conman on a certain card and you can double win this

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

Also you are kinda winning.

Like maybe I win, but it's not because I did anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
I have Thoughts, but they will have to wait until the game is done.

• Locked thread