Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'm glad that this game continues the first game's trend of having a surprisingly robust demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

How does Bring it On work exactly? If I store up some BP's and kill them in one turn it only occasionally triggers...? I don't get it. :confused:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

If you kill everything in your first turn you get to keep your kill streak going.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
I hope I get to befriend Terper again when Bravely Second arrives at last. It was nice to play the game, knowing you were playing right alongside me and seeing how far you got in job levels so I could try out stuff and then seeing you help me out in the final battle when Ouroboros destroyed all those alternate worlds like the bastard he was was incredibly cathartic. I certainly thought it was a good use of having metagaming be a way to actually engage you (and a way to get metagaming to enhance the story instead of the other way around).

EDIT: Come to think of it, Bravely Default (and I'm gonna guess Bravely Second will qualify for it too) actually relies rather extensively on having the player be both separate and a part of it's story, to be both gaming and metagaming.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 22, 2016

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

gently caress Geist, and gently caress Undo HP. Is there any way of blocking it? Is it White Magic? I was thinking of using Elemental Mirror.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

gently caress Geist, and gently caress Undo HP. Is there any way of blocking it? Is it White Magic? I was thinking of using Elemental Mirror.

It's not white magic. It works on your dudes too. Don't let one of your dudes die unless you want them to keep doing that forever.

FWIW the sharpshooter lady he's with is weak to water and the melee guy is weak to lightning. I had a way easier time with the fight after taking them ut, because his only source of actual damage outside of the spoilered skill is regular attacks.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Junpei Hyde posted:

It's not white magic. It works on your dudes too. Don't let one of your dudes die unless you want them to keep doing that forever.

FWIW the sharpshooter lady he's with is weak to water and the melee guy is weak to lightning. I had a way easier time with the fight after taking them ut, because his only source of actual damage outside of the spoilered skill is regular attacks.
Yeah I'm working on taking them out, it's just annoying because I have 2 dead characters who he keeps killing every time I raise them. If I raise them both in 1 turn he'll only be able to reverse it for one of them though (unless he Braves). I just got a bit screwed by Prey On Weak before I took out that guy.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah I'm working on taking them out, it's just annoying because I have 2 dead characters who he keeps killing every time I raise them. If I raise them both in 1 turn he'll only be able to reverse it for one of them though (unless he Braves). I just got a bit screwed by Prey On Weak before I took out that guy.

I believe I took out the sharpshooter first with a hawkeye equipped with the water element gun you get in one of the dungeons using Harpoon + Sidewinder, which took her out pretty quickly. I then used warhead to make the attacks lightning element to take on the melee guy along with using spirit magic. I had a performer mostly just feed the hawkeye BP to make everything go smoother.

It's probably the hardest fight in the demo.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Not sure if this was known before, but it turns out you get some free costume if you buy the game from the eShop:

quote:

Bonus for purchase from Nintendo eShop: Download code for the exclusive Promotional Set 2 costumes (Vestal Garb, Knight’s Tunic, Minstrel’s Garb, Onion Knight Garb) for Bravely Second: End Layer for Nintendo 3DS included!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I had an easier time not taking out his buddies, because that meant there were two more targets he might use that ability on that weren't himself or any of my party members.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Dunban posted:

Not sure if this was known before, but it turns out you get some free costume if you buy the game from the eShop:

You drive a hard bargain, Nintendo.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Well, that is on top of the 10% price reduction that you get if you've downloaded the demo.

I'm still considering whether or not I should cancel my collector's edition pre-order..money is a bit tight at the moment, I don't care about the Agnes figurine at all and while the art book and soundtrack are pretty neat, I don't know how much use I'll really get out of them.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I can't wait to change clothes this Friday!

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
While I've really enjoyed Bravely Default I've still not finished it. Despite this I went and preordered the EU special edition with the artbook etc. It is over 2x the price of the regular edition.

My logical brain is currently telling me to cancel this immediately and just get a copy of the game when I've finished the first. It has yet to win this fight.

EDIT: See Dunbans post that I missed. Not sure of the worth of the extra bits. The fact the artbook was 250pgs is what pushed me over the edge at first but will I ever look at it again?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

irlZaphod posted:

I found that it gets easier once you pick off the two underlings that Geist has with him, then revive the first character killed and rekilled with Undo HP. The important point here is to only have one character killed (or alternate between any characters killed), one character focusing on reviving said killed character, and the other two attacking each turn. This wears down Geist's HP to the point Geist will inevitably focus on trying to Undo his HP, giving you a chance to break the cycle of a character being rekilled by Undo HP. From there and out, it's essentially chipping off his HP, healing as necessary, and Brave once Geist's HP is low enough to get taken down completely by your party.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

For that fight using the mist spellcraft with cure is handy, if you're healing everyone a bit every turn then it's not as big a deal if he undoes it on one of you. Obviously the worst thing you can do is let someone's health drop far enough for a big heal to be "worth it" and then get it undone. Other than that, make sure everyone has the best armour and shields they can wear, and keep the performer defence buff up to minimise the damage of their regular attacks.

Edit: and I'm serious about not finishing off his underlings, I found if their health was lower than his he would always use Undo HP on them first, so I was able to do a lot of damage to him with multi-target attacks without him undoing it until near the end when the other two finally bit the dust

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 22, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blackfyre posted:

While I've really enjoyed Bravely Default I've still not finished it. Despite this I went and preordered the EU special edition with the artbook etc. It is over 2x the price of the regular edition.

My logical brain is currently telling me to cancel this immediately and just get a copy of the game when I've finished the first. It has yet to win this fight.

EDIT: See Dunbans post that I missed. Not sure of the worth of the extra bits. The fact the artbook was 250pgs is what pushed me over the edge at first but will I ever look at it again?

I suspect the majority of people who like Bravely Default never finished it, so you're in good company.

I should go youtube the ending before I pull the trigger on Second though.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Ssssso "Bravely Second: End Layer.."

"Friend Slayer"? :ohdear:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I should go youtube the ending before I pull the trigger on Second though.

I recommend playing it. The True Ending made me go from being mildly entertained with the rematches to :supaburn:.

The final area is really well done.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The endgame is just brilliant too, like Folt the Bolt was talking about above. My only regret was that I got the game about 6 weeks after it released in Europe so I didn't get to play it alongside people here really. That's why I really want to be on the ground floor this time. :allears:

I finished off Geist, it was slow going but once you kill off his soldiers it's a lot easier. Although as Suaimhneas said above it's probably better to leave 1 of them alive and wear Geist's HP down a bit and force him to use Undo HP on them.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Poulpe posted:

Given what 'Bravely Default' means, I can only guess 'Bravely Second' is supposed to be "Courageously agree with a ridiculous idea".

you're probably right, but I wouldn't be shocked if the 'layer' was short for 'Player' and the fourth wall gets completely broken at some point.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Poulpe posted:

Alternatively Send Player. You can't progress through the game without getting Ablinks. :v:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I finished the demo last night, very enjoyable and really full of content!

I started working on maxing all the jobs, the auto-battle and "Bring it On" are useful for that. :v:

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 23, 2016

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It's gonna be Mend Player and itll be a psych counselor so we can deal with our issues that we got from the cyclical nature of the gist game

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Well I've just maxed out everyone's level and jobs. Not sure I can be bothered to Complete the Bestiary or beat Ba'al on Hard to get the last 2 bonuses though. :effort:

Only 3 days to go though!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

If you don't care for Ba'al on hard,use bomb fragments they are infinite and destroy anything

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

Well I've just maxed out everyone's level and jobs. Not sure I can be bothered to Complete the Bestiary or beat Ba'al on Hard to get the last 2 bonuses though. :effort:

Only 3 days to go though!

Ba'al is weak to light, so the Hawkeye ability to enchant your weapon works great against it. Just bring three Hawkeyes with Barrage and whatever the skill is that increases damage at high BP, have them enchant their weapons with light and default to full, maybe throw on some Performer or Astrologian buffs, and then tear into it with a bunch of Sidewinders and it goes down easy even at the highest difficulty. Make the fourth character a wizard/red mage so they can use Esuna Burst to get rid of blind easily and otherwise keep everyone healed up.

For filling out the bestiary I just made everyone Exorcist main (so HP/MP get restored after each battle) with Wizard sub for the multi-target spells, stick Barrage and In The Red and two rods on everyone, then on each fight I'd queue up four spells with one character. That would usually kill everything (this is at max level), I'd chain into another fight and do the same with the next character, and so on. With autobattle and animation speed at max it didn't really take long

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I fought every boss in the demo on Hard, but kept the random encounters on Normal, which I felt struck a nice balance. I wasn't planning to, but the moment I realized how ridiculous a Hammer-magic attack was I felt I had to.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

My LE shipped :toot:

Now the wait for Fates shall be less painful.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Junpei Hyde posted:

My LE shipped :toot:

Now the wait for Fates shall be less painful.

I'm pretty jealous I cancelled mine. Probably only playing PC games going forward too. :smith:

Be interested to hear how good it is, especially the artbook and soundtrack!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Going by the demo, I like the music a lot.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

Going by the demo, I like the music a lot.

The Ba'al theme is especially nice.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The intro cutscene which recaps Default in the full game has a little background for what the Default 4 did after that game ended so it might be worth sitting through but it's not something hugely vital and the game might tell you anyway when playing.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Via the extremely exciting method of Streetpassing my old 3DS I'm now up to 10 villagers. Decided to stop there, it should be enough for a start in the full version.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Blackfyre posted:

I'm pretty jealous I cancelled mine. Probably only playing PC games going forward too. :smith:

Be interested to hear how good it is, especially the artbook and soundtrack!

Same here. My backlog is too big so Bravely Second got the axe...I can't justify 40 Euro for a Game I will probably have time for in August or something like that...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The first town looks good in 3D. Worth a look even if you don't usually use it or keep it on like myself.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Dunban posted:

Via the extremely exciting method of Streetpassing my old 3DS I'm now up to 10 villagers. Decided to stop there, it should be enough for a start in the full version.

Dammit why didn't I think of that

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

My copy arrived today and I just started playing. The first thing the game does is spoil everything about the first one, so if anyone was thinking about playing Second before Default I really wouldn't recommend it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
My copy arrived today too, i've not touched the demo yet (i forgot about it) but gfaqs says there's stuff that transfers over and also from the completed files of the first game.

Is it worth me quickly firing through the demo to get this or is it not really worth it and i should just jump into the main game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's mostly some consumables like Ethers and Potions. And maybe the demo is canon?? I guess I'll find out on Friday.

• Locked thread