Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I went that way too. Though, I'm choosing based on the Asterisk I want rather than the story beats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Holy poo poo, the victory streak thing is great for grinding! My Yew and Tiz are Lv. 6 Wizards already while the girls are rapidly approaching Lv. 6 in Charioteer!

Also, come to think of it, the voice actors for Bella (and I guess Donna too) and Cú Chulainn must have had some real fun with their roles. The part where they properly introduce themselves in their battle against your party of (currently) three is comedy gold! :allears:

Also, probably some spoilers but what Cú Chulainn says at one point implies that he is the Sétanta and Sainglend whom the Eternian child sings about.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

I forgot how tedious grinding for JP is. Haven't even got to Tiz yet and I've put in about 5 hours just running in circles.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

why are you even grinding then

Like, immediately after getting to him you unlock the tools needed to make grinding work

Terper fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 28, 2016

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Terper posted:

I can't believe I sided with (chapter 2) loving Profiteur of all people. The other choices were pretty easy (sided with Jackal and Kamiizumi) but I had to sit and think about this one for a minute.

I obviously wanted to side with Chapter 1, Side Story 2 spoilers: Kamiizumi, but a friend of mine told me if I did that I couldn't get a summon spell without doing a whole new playthrough?
I'm only on chapter 2 now though, so I don't know if they're going to pull a timewarp or NG+ or something on it, so my friend might actually just be a pedant.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Terper posted:

why are you even grinding then

Like, immediately after getting to him you unlock the tools needed to make grinding work

Habit. In every jrpg I tend to grind as soon as I can. That's good to know though, I'll head to him.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

(Chapter 2) Aimee was a real spike in difficulty, so I went back to grind out some more abilities and set up some proper equipment and characters.

Yew was a Wizard/Summoner. Poor lad was on Phoenix Down duty since Aimee kept oneshotting Tiz whenever his Angelic Ward didn't trigger, and then after a Phoenix Down Tiz didn't have enough HP to survive even if it did. Managed to sneak in some attacks here and there - a Summoncraft is pretty darn strong, though I should have considered slotting in B/W magic instead to have access to more support. Had to reset once because I forgot to slot in Spellcrafting.

Magnolia was a Fencer/Catmancer. I went back after my butt was blasted the first time to collect the available abilities, and they definitely helped a lot - she was on physical attack buffing and defense debuffing duty for the first turns to help out herself and Edea, then stance-danced in some great damage thanks to the buffs. She certainly felt like the MVP.

Edea was a Charioteer/Freelancer. She basically just Trampled every turn. I should mention, but I basically never Defaulted or Braved at all during the early parts of the fight since Aimee pierced that, though I did go on a Braving spree when Aimee had about half life left - not enough to kill, but enough to bring her down to low enough health so the fight could finish quickly after that.

Tiz was a Bishop/Astrologist. While he spent most of the fight falling down and getting up again, the early Speed Mist and a Spider Web that I picked up was invaluable for outspeeding her which basically cinched the win. He also drew a ton of fire which I guess meant he didn't have to heal anyone else :v:

A great fight. Everyone was sub-25% health and Yew was basically out of mana at the end.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Who is purple in the bestiary?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Consider a Holy Night > Mist combo for future battles. Very powerful defensive set up.

e:

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Who is purple in the bestiary?

It's a plot point, I don't know who it is as of the chapter 3, but I figured out he's from the moon based on a text entry.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 28, 2016

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Prologue done, soon getting to Harena, and Yew is proving to be the best protagonist of Bravely Second! He's such a dork! :allears:

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
New job spoilers I guess. Just how useful is Catmancy? The fact that it makes me use items puts me off of it already and I've only just started using it but I'm not sure what abilities I can learn from monsters?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

New job spoilers I guess. Just how useful is Catmancy? The fact that it makes me use items puts me off of it already and I've only just started using it but I'm not sure what abilities I can learn from monsters?

The journal tells you all of the things you can learn and who from, though not where they are. Not nearly as useful as vampire was.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I obviously wanted to side with Chapter 1, Side Story 2 spoilers: Kamiizumi, but a friend of mine told me if I did that I couldn't get a summon spell without doing a whole new playthrough?
I'm only on chapter 2 now though, so I don't know if they're going to pull a timewarp or NG+ or something on it, so my friend might actually just be a pedant.

According to a walkthrough on GameFAQs:

quote:

Author's Note: It is recommended to get the Swordmaster Asterisk first. The reason for this is because the final summon is only available for the player if you defeat Mephilia on Chapter 5 or later. if you decided to get Summoner Asterisk now, you won't able to get the final summon unless you want to miss out on the Swordmaster Asterisk. This way it will save your multiple playthroughs.
Note: Many players that have obtained the Summoner Asterisk, seems to have encounter random game crash when using Summon under certain conditions, avoid using them if you don't want to lose your game progress.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The journal tells you all of the things you can learn and who from, though not where they are. Not nearly as useful as vampire was.

I didn't notice that, so thanks. :3:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DoctorX posted:

According to a walkthrough on GameFAQs:

Almost like they knew people would think Summoner was utter trash again based on it being lovely in Default.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

You're missing something, granted that you're well equipped.

Going into Wolf form and then Stance Dancing between wolf and aurochs moves is probably your best damage dealer for a long time. Black Mage can outdamage it but the MP cost is high, Wizard is more utility, Cowboy is good but it's not as much raw output but you can do the stance dancing with it on as secondary.

Waldorf:
For chomps, Upgrade Snack, and then probably rare brush first and then probably scissors.

I dunno, the Chariot's Trample seems to do way more damage than anything I do as a Fencer.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

You have immediate access to the best healing spell in the game, as well as buffs and debuffs and status ailments. Materials are easy to come by with Dig.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Dunban posted:

I dunno, the Chariot's Trample seems to do way more damage than anything I do as a Fencer.

This is assuming you can keep at max health though. Which is almost impossible early on because Bishop's heal is dreadful. Or maybe I'm just used to BD where my set up would full heal all of my characters with one Cura :3:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I keep having to make the moral decisions I don't want to in order to get the asterisks I want. :negative:

e:
Group Cast Master + Curada > Spellcraft > Mist = 75% heals end of every turn for a long while for 1bp and like +30 mp on spell cost. Ooooh baby

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 28, 2016

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Added folks below. Mine's 4484-8908-1219.

Suaimhneas posted:

I may as well throw my friend code in with the rest: 0962-9710-0735

Kin posted:

Edit: my code is
2423-3814-4667

Turhapuuro posted:

Also, I need some friends too: 2638-0603-2955.

Dunban posted:

My FC is 1848-2888-3654, gonna add you guys in a minute.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Speaking of which: 2148-8399-4584

Samael posted:

Also, I need friends who play this silly game too. My Friend Code is 0061-0189-8488.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think it's possible that you can now buy the Square Enix Members outfits.
Saw a lab coat for Magnolia for 150k in a store in Ch.3 and that was one of the Members things, I believe.

e: Yeah, you can definitely buy the ones that aren't bravo bunny/Ringabel's thong from Default. It's possible you can buy those two but I can't say for sure.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 28, 2016

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Just did the first Chapter 1 Sidequest. I had no real problems as to who I would support for the first time around, since I am a mage kind of person when it comes to playstyle and DeRosa was the greater of the two evils from Bravely Default involved in this sidequest. It did hurt seeing the somnial energy researcher being so dejected when we told him we were the reason his research was being shut down, but at least he decided not to give up on making the world a better place. :(

I liked the gimmick of DeRosa's battle, where his flunkies would occasionally hurt him to activate his Revenge skill. Definitely take them down first, and when you have good enough attack power (like I did, I think I was quite overlevelled for that sidequest ad Lv. 22 or something), Brave and and kill all of his HP before he gets to do his infamous multitasking schtick.

Of course, this means I have to face Jackal for the second half of the game.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I've finished the Prologue. Does anyone know if there is a soft cap on Job lebels like in the first game? I feel like the JP requirements are higher in this one.

Have people been assigning jobs as soon as they get them? I still have Magnolia and Tiz as Freelancers. I never levelled it up in the first game until near the end, and kind of regretted it.

Also I've added everyone who's posted their Friend Code. Here's mine again: 3179-6055-6192.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

The Job level cap is 10 I think (it was 14 in BD). I assume the regular level cap is still 99.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

I've finished the Prologue. Does anyone know if there is a soft cap on Job lebels like in the first game? I feel like the JP requirements are higher in this one.

Have people been assigning jobs as soon as they get them? I still have Magnolia and Tiz as Freelancers. I never levelled it up in the first game until near the end, and kind of regretted it.

Also I've added everyone who's posted their Friend Code. Here's mine again: 3179-6055-6192.

Yea, Job Levels have break points to hint at you to swap to over once again. Jobs do master at level 10.

It goes something like 50/100/300/400/800/1500/2500/5000 then I assume 9999.
They're not hard to get past with chaining.

Honestly, there's not a huge reason to level up Freelancer until late. It's not likely you can get it to rank 8 early without gimping yourself otherwise.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

The only reason to level up Freelancer early is to get skills that let you do things like see how many chests there are in a place or avoid traps and hazards in dungeons. These are more useful at the beginning since you have free skill slots. Later you'll probably want to use those slots for better skills.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

For anyone concerned about the how the Chemist/Qada from Default style job works this time, you just choose the move you want from your menu, it's a lot more slick and better to use.

Talking about this asterisk specifically:
Patissiere or however it's spelt. Also, focus your Bioplant if you want to use it.

e:
8000 JP to go from Job rank 9 to 10.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 28, 2016

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Looking for friends, I have gone back through the thread and added people

I am Lizzy
0087 3730 9835

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It took until the end of Chapter 2 and Magnolia literally spelling out the theme of the game for me to finally get it :downs:

The game's about Love vs. Duty and the sacrifices that must be made between them. Act with love to those near you now at the expense of others later, or sacrifice your love in the here and now for the sake of the possibility of future peace and prosperity. This can be seen in almost all the sidequests I've done up to this point - do you side with the now with Jackal or bet on a possibility with DeRosa? Do you allow the summoner to keep doing what he loves, or return to his job? Do you stand in the way of Profiteur's progress for the sake of old memories and sentimentality? Same with the main story beats - Janne sides with the Kaiser because Janne's duty sacrificed his family for its own sake, Yew's questioning on why he acts for what he does, the old astrologian willing to sacrifice his hometown to bring down the Kaiser, Aimee's love quite literally crashing down on Angelo, etc.

Terper fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 29, 2016

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

For anyone concerned about the how the Chemist/Qada from Default style job works this time, you just choose the move you want from your menu, it's a lot more slick and better to use.

Talking about this asterisk specifically:
Patissiere or however it's spelt. Also, focus your Bioplant if you want to use it.

e:
8000 JP to go from Job rank 9 to 10.

Now this is an awesome change. Do you need to discover the item combos first to populate the list, or does it just give you them all from the start?

I also like how you can configure the special attack triggers this time instead of just having them tied to the weapon type. Although does this mean you can't get a special attack to trigger twice as often by dual-wielding the weapon anymore?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They're all there from the very beginning, you just need the ingredients. The catmancer combos need discovering, but there are only 12 or 13 and all but 2 are available quickly.

It's possible the other two are as well and I just didn't find them yet though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Suaimhneas posted:

I also like how you can configure the special attack triggers this time instead of just having them tied to the weapon type. Although does this mean you can't get a special attack to trigger twice as often by dual-wielding the weapon anymore?
It seems a bit pointless though. I just have it set to Victory for the moment, for Boss fights you could probably just switch it to Brave or Default or something.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You basically want it on brave or default all the time because if you're doing trash packs, you're going to probably 4x them until they die. If encounters are off, you aren't getting victories either but you will get 25 braves in like 7 fights as opposed to 40 victories.

Specials aren't really high usage for me, but I have rank 3 ones available for everyone near constantly.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

You basically want it on brave or default all the time because if you're doing trash packs, you're going to probably 4x them until they die. If encounters are off, you aren't getting victories either but you will get 25 braves in like 7 fights as opposed to 40 victories.

Specials aren't really high usage for me, but I have rank 3 ones available for everyone near constantly.

I use the recovery special all the time in BD to restore MP to the party.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The moon Baals seem a bit poorly balanced in this one; I have a party of level 40 dudes that go ham on a baal weakened to level 20, do about 70,000 damage worth to it (which is way more than the hp of a normal boss around level 40), then get locked in an inescapable full party freeze status thing and die.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
For some reason none of my 3DS friends who I know are playing this game are appearing in the in-game "friends" tab. Anyone else having this problem?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Oh my god, the way they introduce the encounter rate setting.

For a moment there I wasn't sure what the hell was happening, and then the tutorial box popped up and I couldn't stop laughing

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I ended up quitting the first game after 40 or so hours Sometime shortly after you have to start redoing everything yet again.

I'm trying to figure out if I should bother going back to actually beat it or if I should just play this instead.

Am I missing anything huge if I just skip it?

Substandard fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 29, 2016

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

Oh my god, the way they introduce the encounter rate setting.

For a moment there I wasn't sure what the hell was happening, and then the tutorial box popped up and I couldn't stop laughing

I love that Tiz basically used the Force.

Substandard posted:

I ended up quitting the first game after 40 or so hours Sometime shortly after you have to start redoing everything yet again.

I'm trying to figure out if I should bother going back to actually beat it or if I should just play this instead.

Am I missing anything huge if I just skip it?

You won't miss anything if you skip it because when you start Bravely Second there's an intro that spoils everything (and I mean everything) that happened in Default. So if you wanted to go back and finish it at some point after playing Second you would already know what happens in the true ending.

I don't really like the way they spoil everything. I guess maybe there's a reason, but so far (I'm still in Chapter 1, I just got the Catmancer asterisk) it doesn't look like Bravely Second's story is related to Default's in a way that justifies all that exposition at the beginning. They could've just said "these four people saved the world" and leave it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Dunban posted:

For some reason none of my 3DS friends who I know are playing this game are appearing in the in-game "friends" tab. Anyone else having this problem?

Have you done the "update friends" thing in the save menu? For some reason the game can't just detect which of your friends are playing the game, you have to tell it to do it

• Locked thread