Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Here is the story of Boy Howdy the 3B:

Performed terribly at Midwest prospect tryouts, drafted late rounds by the Blue Jays, where he was sent to AA at 18 and behind their Top 50 prospect and Josh Goddamned Donaldson. Called up to AAA just before the All-Star break. Came in second in average for the team because he couldn't take a walk to save his soul. Won the IL pennant with the Bisons, while leading the team in HR during that series. Had one appearance in the AAA Chapionship while getting demolished in that series. Re-signed by the Jays to a AAA contract.

Immediately traded to the Mets, whereupon he was added to the 40-man and invited to spring training. Made a platoon/bench slot out of ST, sharing time with David Wright. First MLB hit was a no-doubt 3-run HR into the second deck.

All before turning 19.

RttS is pretty neat, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I made a Dellin Betances clone for RTTS and I can't get out of AA :(

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Tomorrow I'm making a Gerald Laird clone for RTTS and he's going to break all of the records.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I only use names that have audio in the game so I named my First Basemen Taylor Swift and my wife laughs every time they say his name.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
See, I didn't do that, I gave him a mildly odd name and then just approximated. My outfielder is name Gereld Ploinsky, they call him Gerald Pokey.

My roommate made a pitcher with in-game audio names, but he used the nicknames, so the pitcher is Country Breakfast Oilcan iirc. I think the one he made for DD is just Business Jim.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
I'm role-playing RTTS as Ricky Vaughn ala Major League. I wish I could rename my pitches The Eliminator and The Humiliator.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I have SS Buster Smallwood and SP Rusty Bannister which aren't explicitly hilarious, but I think they're funny.

My CP is Kenny Blankenship :q:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I was pleased, but not all that surprised, that my player had audio in the game.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ice To Meet You posted:

I was pleased, but not all that surprised, that my player had audio in the game.

I hope you imported a very distinctive walk-up song.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Ice To Meet You posted:

Now I'm sad the '76 White Sox shorts arent in the game

Cena isn't Cena without his jorts

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I also have a Closer named Bo Yellowhorse because that's an actual last name in the game.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

I also have a Closer named Bo Yellowhorse because that's an actual last name in the game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/y/yelloch01.shtml

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I'm just boring and made me because my names are in the game.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My dude's announcer name is The Big Gaucho.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ice To Meet You posted:

I hope you are treating the game with hustle loyalty and respect

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

I hope you imported a very distinctive walk-up song.

i need this video

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Is there actually a server maintenance schedule for this game? Official channels are vague at best (or down right now!) and googling isn't any help because angry gamers. Should I just expect downtime on Tuesdays?

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
My RTTS is named Saul Goodman, which owns

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I'm playing conquest mode right now. I love playing games on rookie mode, because when I use Prince Fielder as a pinch hitter it's so satisfying to leave him on the mound and not give up any runs or hits.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Traded from the Blue Jays as AAA backup to the Mets as platoon 3B/bench guy to the Rockies on Monday of All-Star Break to the Angels after the game to be starting 3B. Hitting around .350 and currently first for RotY. Also learned how to walk and getting better at stealing.

Baseball.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
In RTTS is it possible to deny contracts until you don't get resigned? i don't want to stay with the same lovely Padres team for 750k while I just hit 72 dingers and hit for .423

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Unless you have 6 seasons and qualify for free agency no. Less than 3 seasons in they can just renew your contract for as much as 75% of what you got last season, past that you get arbitration

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I don't remember exactly what my numbers were, but in last year's game I was hitting insane numbers and got a $30 million deal in arbitration. Would have been more but I guess 30 is the most you can make in a year. I didn't play enough to get to free agency but I'm sure it would have been a ridiculous contract.

Speaking of RTTS players, how many of you have made countless RTTS guys and have NEVER played for or even been traded to your favorite team? I'd love to play for the Tigers, but just picking them at the beginning is just so boring.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Jingleheimer posted:

I don't remember exactly what my numbers were, but in last year's game I was hitting insane numbers and got a $30 million deal in arbitration. Would have been more but I guess 30 is the most you can make in a year. I didn't play enough to get to free agency but I'm sure it would have been a ridiculous contract.

Speaking of RTTS players, how many of you have made countless RTTS guys and have NEVER played for or even been traded to your favorite team? I'd love to play for the Tigers, but just picking them at the beginning is just so boring.

i forced it to put me on the Twins last year, and i've been carrying that sad sack team. haven't tried to randomly chance it.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
If you play RttS as a Starting Pitcher, is there a way to avoid being put into the bullpen? Will putting more points into Stamina make it so that doesn't happen?

My dude had an incredible season as a 19 year old, was up to a 82 OVR or so and ranked the 4th best SP among all SPs in the team's system, and got a September call up. Did really well in those starts, and then for next season the team offers him a contract as a reliever. Even though he has a better OVR than the MLB team's 4th starter. He makes the MLB team out of Spring Training, but come on, I don't want to be a reliever, that sucks and it's impossible to get good training points out of that.

He's only a 60 or so on stamina, because I didn't need any more than that really. I'm wondering if boosting that will get him into the rotation, or if the simulation doesn't really work like that.

Or, if this is just a temporary thing and he'll be a starter soon, that's fine. I just don't want to waste too much time missing experience points. Or be so effective as a reliever that the team decides to leave me there permanently.

Edit: I had an older save, so I did some experimenting. This time I made sure my Stamina was over 85 before my September callup. Same thing happened: had a strong 4 starts at the end of the season, only offered a contract as a reliever in the off-season. This despite being the 4th best SP by OVR in the system. Im gonna play through it and hope I get an opportunity to start, or request a trade asap if not.

Edit 2: After a lights-out first half as a reliever (and one spot start), I finally got the #5 spot in the rotation after the All Star Break. Seems like the job is mine now for good. I think the RttS logic just doesn't want to give a MLB starting job out of Spring Training to a rookie making the team for the first time outside of a September call up. I think the ASB is maybe a hard break for the team management to update its perception of players and make changes.

VermiciousKnid84 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 2, 2016

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Jingleheimer posted:

I always go drafted and was drafted once by the Mets. I never pick my teams since that ruins part of the fun of RTTS but have refused to sign with both the Dodgers and Yankees.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I'll try to avoid playing for a rival NL East team, the Yankees, and the Royals.

The first time I played RTTS in '16 I sat out a year when the Nationals drafted me. Of course the order doesn't change between seasons l, I did very well in the showcase and went #1 to the Phillies.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Jingleheimer posted:

I really wish there was something to do with money. Gimme an apartment and housing options then let me buy loving furniture or something. Lemme buy a car!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
This is my first baseball game since like Triple Play 99 on PS1. I picked this up, and of course the first question it asks you is "Is this your first The Show game, if so pick Novice etc etc," so I did. First Spring Training game last night I won 33-0. What am I missing here? It seems very arcade-y, also press X to throw a fastball to pitch, press x when the ball cross the plate to bat.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 28, 2016

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
What your missing is that beginner is like easy mode on guitar hero. Literally all you were in charge of was hitting X at the right times. It is a pretty arcadey game at times, but on not that difficultly things matter. You won't get nothing but meatballs. The other team will actually hit the ball hard. Etc. Turn that difficulty up at least to veteran. If it is still too easy then congrats. If that is not too easy, it will become easy pretty soon and then you can play all-star and chances are you can get pissed at the game on a regular basis.

Also, despite the fact online is broken, a lot of the fun comes from playing against real human beings.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Anyone not getting DD cards after games today?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

alpha_destroy posted:

Also, despite the fact online is broken, a lot of the fun comes from playing against real human beings.

Online is fun because I usually strike out or make weak contact 90% of the time and then hit 2 dingers and win.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Ice To Meet You posted:

Online is fun because I usually strike out or make weak contact 90% of the time and then hit 2 dingers and win.

I have two all-time favorite the Show memories. One is exactly that. I hit a walk-off home-run down the line at the Polo Grounds and immediately got a pissed off message about how that was bullshit and I was a scrub and it wasn't fair that the game rewarded me for mistiming a fastball. I wrote back "Sucks to suck."

My other favorite memory was of playing against this guy that for whatever reason would not stop leaving cheese up in the strike-zone. So I mean I was just teeing off. Homer after homer after homer. Then he asked for a friendly quit when it like 12-0 and I said no. And instead of conceding he started beaning my guys. He paused the game and tied to force me to make him concede instead of asking for a concede. So instead I waited him out. Eventually he tricked me by hitting pause mid pitch so when I hit square the game ended. Still. Hilarious.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I actually just looked up my online stats and I have 204 runs scored and 88 home runs, which is a hilarious ratio.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

For real though, Polo Grounds is the best. The other day I had Sano pimp a homerun he crushed a whole 312 feet.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
420 play in the Polo Grounds eree day.

I'm trying to get 700 innings with the Mariners and without Cano and the other gold guys the team kind of sucks and is not fun.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

counterpoint: adam lind mashes taters all day err day.

my lind/ruf platoon is hitting like .450 with 30 HR in like 75 games

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

My favorite part about playing in Polo Grounds is that when you do it against the computer they will make hilarious errors all day. The pitcher will throw it to second base trying to turn a double play on a groundout and just launch it into center field. Outfielders will throw about 90 feet wide of the cut off men. And of course the infield homers.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
RTTS is quite possibly the most "Just one more turn!" thing I have ever played. "Just one more series" *3 hours later* "One more won't hurt!"

eightysixed posted:

This is my first baseball game since like Triple Play 99 on PS1. I picked this up, and of course the first question it asks you is "Is this your first The Show game, if so pick Novice etc etc," so I did. First Spring Training game last night I won 33-0. What am I missing here? It seems very arcade-y, also press X to throw a fastball to pitch, press x when the ball cross the plate to bat.

Change the difficulty to dynamic. I felt the same way, but it turns out the AI doesn't just throw FBs down the middle at all times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Inspector_666 posted:

RTTS is quite possibly the most "Just one more turn!" thing I have ever played. "Just one more series" *3 hours later* "One more won't hurt!"

Definitely not an empty quote.

• Locked thread