Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hey, what's your favorite anime?
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender
Papa to Kiss in the Dark
Generation Kill
Dragonball
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
The Godfather
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
View Results

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

redreader posted:

Hi. I'm late to the party.

I've got conquest/birthright and am playing through birthright, now. Questions
-Are there any trap lovely characters, like that knight guy in awakening, who started off good but levelled up badly? (specifically, looking at the knight guy you get at the start in this one)
-Are the peasant/villagers good like Donell was in awakening? This villager 10 year old girl I have is so pathetic, acts like she's almost dead of exhaustion all the time
-is "talk" during battles a thing still? Where you only get some units if you talk to people?
-What DLC is must-get? I was surprised to see that there doesn't seem to be tons and tons of DLC for this like there was for awakening.

-You just had bad luck with Kellam, he doesn't have particularly better or worse than other units. That said, you can check out growth rates over at Serenes Forest or just ditch people that aren't pulling their weight. The game is easy enough on normal and even hard that trying people out won't screw you over.
-Mozu is worse than Donnel, but nearly everyone in Fates is worse than nearly everyone in Awakening. Stats are more lopsided in general--Mozu is a glass cannon.
-A little bit, iirc.
-None of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I think he meant Gunter, and was talking about Frederick? Gunter actually drops out of Birthright pretty early, but comes back in Conquest, with usable bases for when he appears but FE1-Jagen-tier growths.

E: Also as far as Fred goes, characters like that aren't as much of a trap as people tend to make them out to be, especially in more recent games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1) Do you mean Frederick? cause if so yes, gunter has even worse growths than frederick did.
2) Mozu is the only villager, and she's not as broken as donnel was when he got out of villager but unlike Donny you don't have to burn a second seal on her, you can just level her through Villager then promote her.
3) There are 0 recruits in Birthright that need you to talk to them, 2 in conquest, and 4 in revelations. In every case the game tells you to do so and tells you who to talk to them with. It's barely a mechanic.
4) That's because they didn't translate most of the DLC. I'd say none of it is essential and the plot DLC they did translate mostly just takes away from the game, though if you're really looking to spend some money, the DLCs that give you extra classes are fun. Be sure to grab the two free anna's gift DLCs that give you a couple free unique items.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

redreader posted:

-Are there any trap lovely characters, like that knight guy in awakening, who started off good but levelled up badly? (specifically, looking at the knight guy you get at the start in this one)
-Are the peasant/villagers good like Donell was in awakening? This villager 10 year old girl I have is so pathetic, acts like she's almost dead of exhaustion all the time
-is "talk" during battles a thing still? Where you only get some units if you talk to people?
-What DLC is must-get? I was surprised to see that there doesn't seem to be tons and tons of DLC for this like there was for awakening.

- "Jagen" is indeed a character archetype in the Fire Emblem series, where they start off with (comparatively) high stats but vacuum experience and have terrible growths. Gunther fits the bill completely.
- Mozu is pretty good thanks to aptitude. You can go ahead and stuff her in whatever class you want.
- Talking to recruit characters exists in Fates, and the game will even tell you which characters are talk-capable. Off the top of my head, Corrin (self-insert character) does almost, if not all of it. It's generally pretty obvious who you can recruit through talking.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

redreader posted:

Also get an A support between Kaze and Corrin or he dies for literally no reason at chapter 15.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Looks like the knight guy I was talking about is Silas. Looking at a wiki he looks good. Also, ugh, I need to grind the friendship with Kaze/Corrin. Thanks for that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's incredibly easy to get to A for Kaze, between favoring him for treehouse visits and generally killing a couple enemies every map. It's really, really hard not to get A if you just pair the up.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Zore posted:

Also get an A support between Kaze and Corrin or he dies for literally no reason at chapter 15.

Do note this isn't a spoiler. There's literally no plot relevance to this whatsoever.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the character death stuff in fates is insanely dumb

kaze's is out of nowhere and doesn't even make sense

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does conquest have the same issue?

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
I don't recall any random penalties for not A ranking a support, so I don't think so. Unless I just happened to do so without noticing. But considering how they handled the one in Birthright, I'm thinking it would still be noticeable if it were there.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Alteisen posted:

Does conquest have the same issue?

Technically, no. Conquest does not have the same issue.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

every route has at least one arbitrary death but it isn't the same one and it's not handled the same way. birthright is the only one that pulls the support rank thing on you

narratively, I don't think kaze is the worst offender. he is the worst from a gameplay perspective tho because it never even hints at the possibility

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

every route has at least one arbitrary death but it isn't the same one and it's not handled the same way. birthright is the only one that pulls the support rank thing on you

narratively, I don't think kaze is the worst offender. he is the worst from a gameplay perspective tho because it never even hints at the possibility

What arbitrary death does Conquest have? I can't remember any.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Andrast posted:

none, gameplay-wise

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea my bad I kinda worded that poorly. I think kaze is the only one that has a gameplay element to it; the other deaths are just people you don't recruit in that game iirc

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Scarlet is playable for all of a chapter in Rev.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Andrast posted:

Whatever the gently caress the faerie dragon is named, that one.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

AlphaKretin posted:

Scarlet is playable for all of a chapter in Rev.

It's extremely hosed up because she could have easily have been a full-fledged character and the whole pairing problem would be solved but she has to die a dumb death after not establishing herself as a character

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
What pairing problem, she could only support Corrin anyway.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

that in and of itself is a problem because the game completely ignores it if you marry her

the death scene stuff is actually hilarious if you're married because corrin basically says "ryoma, I'm so sorry my wife died"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

that in and of itself is a problem because the game completely ignores it if you marry her

the death scene stuff is actually hilarious if you're married because corrin basically says "ryoma, I'm so sorry my wife died"

the game ignores every marriage

they didn't even bother to give the person you marry ryoma/xander to a single line in the ending.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's more egregious in this case tho because lol that scene

e: I wonder why they didn't just disable her support like they did with gunther in the route you don't get him

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

redreader posted:

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Looks like the knight guy I was talking about is Silas. Looking at a wiki he looks good. Also, ugh, I need to grind the friendship with Kaze/Corrin. Thanks for that.

you don't have to really, you can just let him die. it's always an option

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Strange Quark posted:

I meant she could easily be a character with a normal amount of supports and then a male Corrin wouldn't need to choose between marrying a Corrinsexual and not getting every child

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ROFL Octopus posted:

I meant she could easily be a character with a normal amount of supports and then a male Corrin wouldn't need to choose between marrying a Corrinsexual and not getting every child

You could say that about every Corrin-only support character tho.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I hate being in the exact spot skill-wise where Normal is mostly-boring except when I do something really dumb but Hard is a giant pain in the rear end unless I'm grinding/soft resetting constantly

I managed to replay the opening 5 or so chapters of Awakening enough to be satisfied with my execution on Hard Classic (and after that it opens up enough that bad levels aren't crippling) but doing it over and over again because of all my characters getting HP/Skill/Luck levels and nothing else was not fun

Fates on Hard is basically the same except the pair system is different so I have to relearn that all over again too

also lunatic was bad and dumb in awakening so i don't doubt it's even worse in fates!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lunatic in fates is way better than lunatic in awakening. still really hard but mostly fair, unlike making GBS threads broken skills onto every enemy like awakening did.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Strange Quark posted:

You could say that about every Corrin-only support character tho.

Yeah but Scarlet has more plot importance and is a more interesting character overall. She's Ryoma's partner in crime and it's weird that she can't even support him nonromantically.

Of the Corrin-only girls, Reina's too old, Flora is too incidental (joining late in the game with an arbitrary requirement) and Anna's too DLC.

By the way, I'm trying to decide whether to pass on Voice of Peace or Foreign Princess to Azura's children, but I can't find an accurate summary of what Foreign Princess does since "foreign army" is super vague. I'm on revelation if that helps.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

ROFL Octopus posted:

Yeah but Scarlet has more plot importance and is a more interesting character overall. She's Ryoma's partner in crime and it's weird that she can't even support him nonromantically.

Of the Corrin-only girls, Reina's too old, Flora is too incidental (joining late in the game with an arbitrary requirement) and Anna's too DLC.

By the way, I'm trying to decide whether to pass on Voice of Peace or Foreign Princess to Azura's children, but I can't find an accurate summary of what Foreign Princess does since "foreign army" is super vague. I'm on revelation if that helps.

Wow don't be hating on Reina.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Partner in crime? I figured it was just Ryouma randomly walking into their barracks and fighting with them because he got bored.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Always marry the one with the big tits.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Artificer posted:

Wow don't be hating on Reina.

Reina was your Mom's best friend.

Its weird to marry her.

... this is also true of Orochi if you read her supports and makes a lot of her pairings really weird as well.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I was always disappointed with Reina. I actually wasted a lot of time trying to see her supports with Azama only to realize that she didn't have any with anybody with Corrin.

It's so jarring, because going through Conquest first and seeing a unique character with a massive scar on her face made me think there would be an interesting character come my run in Birthright. Instead it's just Peri if she was boring and also somebody's mom or something.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Always marry the one with the big tits.
please exclude adopted sisters from this rule, especially if they have a slight "daddy's cummies" vibe going on

also I beat the stupid wind map finally by accidentally having half my party blown on to the boss and nuking him lol. I felt like I understood the mechanic but I always ended up surprised by where exactly people ended up and at least once it just wasn't right at all. Also I had to restart at least twice because the rear end in a top hat with the freeze staff stuck someone in place then they helplessly got blown onto the boss platform alone the following turn, which is funny but just assholeish. At least I got all the chests

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Reina is Peri without the brain problems and the servant murder. She good

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

ROFL Octopus posted:

I think it specifically works against Invaders and other Vallans, which means Revelation is the route where it's most useful.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

please exclude adopted sisters from this rule, especially if they have a slight "daddy's cummies" vibe going on

also I beat the stupid wind map finally by accidentally having half my party blown on to the boss and nuking him lol. I felt like I understood the mechanic but I always ended up surprised by where exactly people ended up and at least once it just wasn't right at all. Also I had to restart at least twice because the rear end in a top hat with the freeze staff stuck someone in place then they helplessly got blown onto the boss platform alone the following turn, which is funny but just assholeish. At least I got all the chests

Never exclude Camilla from anything actually, hth

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Reina is Peri without the brain problems and the servant murder. She good

peri's brain problems and servant murder is why i married her tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
~yandere~

• Locked thread