Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hey, what's your favorite anime?
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender
Papa to Kiss in the Dark
Generation Kill
Dragonball
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
The Godfather
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
View Results

• Locked thread
Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Does Niles have any non-terrible supports? So far any interaction I've seen between him and a female character has ranged from rude to creepy to straight up "ey babe, wanna bang? I'll show you a good time. ...Well, then gently caress you. loving prude."

I wanna unlock his ostensibly cooler daughter, but I can't bring myself to inflict him upon any of the virtual characters in my video game box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

His supports with Elise, Effie and Leo are all pretty good.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kajeesus posted:

Does Niles have any non-terrible supports? So far any interaction I've seen between him and a female character has ranged from rude to creepy to straight up "ey babe, wanna bang? I'll show you a good time. ...Well, then gently caress you. loving prude."

I wanna unlock his ostensibly cooler daughter, but I can't bring myself to inflict him upon any of the virtual characters in my video game box.

His support with beruka is a decent one.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kajeesus posted:

His one with azura is just them sitting around talking about how they're both lovely assholes that try not to interact with others.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Where's the thing that shows you exactly how horribly a mother will tank a kid?

I just remember seeing how Nyx (or was it Rinkah?) destroys a lot of them and being sad

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

voltcatfish posted:

Where's the thing that shows you exactly how horribly a mother will tank a kid?

I just remember seeing how Nyx (or was it Rinkah?) destroys a lot of them and being sad

https://inheritance-planner.herokuapp.com

I've heard Rinkah's not a great parent, no. Felicia's another stinker.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

. It's going to be a genuine endeavor to get through Conquest without marching 60% or more of my army to their deaths for being terrible unlikeable archetypes
how is this different from any other FE game

or suikoden

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

how is this different from any other FE game

or suikoden

Because you see, anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wait how is keaton's outfit out of place in the setting??? i genuinely don't understand

he has it unbuttoned but it just looks like a normal medieval dress suit? it's got the puffy sleeves, it's got the right kind of buttons. the weird belt things on his pants are kind of off but im not an expert on medieval men's fashion and it's not like they're a super prominent part of the design.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

AlphaKretin posted:

https://inheritance-planner.herokuapp.com

I've heard Rinkah's not a great parent, no. Felicia's another stinker.

Setsuna, Felicia and Beruka are probably the worst overall.

Rinkah and Nyx are bad for almost everyone but can potentially make some good kids. Rinkah!Ignatius and Nyx!Rhajat, Ophelia, Forrest are all good and give good stats and classes.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 31, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Endorph posted:

wait how is keaton's outfit out of place in the setting??? i genuinely don't understand

he has it unbuttoned but it just looks like a normal medieval dress suit? it's got the puffy sleeves, it's got the right kind of buttons. the weird belt things on his pants are kind of off but im not an expert on medieval men's fashion and it's not like they're a super prominent part of the design.

because he doesn't like it, see. This series should literally fail and die just for being anime

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Endorph posted:

I think it's probably less to do with the clothes and more to do with him being furry.txt :ssh:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if he's got a problem with furry.txt then fe9 should have made him destroy his gamecube with a hammer

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
The key is to match them up with characters whose growths they won't hurt too much, of which they generally have a few to choose from. Rinkah won't hurt Silas, Hinata, Takumi or Kaden too much; generally they'll lose either HP or Strength (except Hinata who loses both) but make up for it with Skill, Speed and Defense. I'm not really sure why they decided to make HP and Strength the weak stats of a muscular warrior woman, but I've found the best approach to be balancing stats out rather than trying to double down on whatever the father was already good at. It's kind of case-by-case, though, and it's generally not worth worrying about on any difficulty. Just pair up people whose supports you like.

Or so I say but I'm also the guy who will sit there and fiddle with the Inheritance Planner for far longer than I should trying to come up with an ideal team.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

if he's got a problem with furry.txt then fe9 should have made him destroy his gamecube with a hammer

No you see that was different because it was a game I liked and came out when I was 12.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i'd gently caress keaton

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

i'd gently caress keaton
/

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Although is Avatar x Keaton a good Velouria? I wonder.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

depends on avatar's boon, but it makes a wolffsegner kana which can be very good since velouria has good growths on her own and can be put in a non-gimmick class but kana is kinda eh and can use the beaststones as a crutch

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

At this point I probably won't do anything other than +STR -Luck because all that strength really helped on Birthright Hard and probably helps on Conquest too.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Endorph posted:

Taken independent of context if you show me that image I'm gonna assume your game is set in some kind of 20th/21st century equivalent setting. It's a pretty basic litmus test. Not as dumb as Fredericks suit armor combo in Awakening but Awakening is like some kind of art design natural disaster. Keaton merely has the honor of "looking like a dingus".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you do realize suits existed in the middle ages, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people wore suits? to like, balls and stuff?

maybe not like the 1200s but fates isn't really going for that early of an aesthetic? the design cues have always been a 1500-1800 grabbag

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

you do realize suits existed in the middle ages, right?

Not those kinds of suits, no, they most certainly did not. Early modern you'd have more of a case, but that's not really the time period Fire Emblem calls to mind.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pictured, a man who traveled back in time to the french revolution to present them with the forbidden technology of suits

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Taken independent of context if you show me that image I'm gonna assume your game is set in some kind of 20th/21st century equivalent setting. It's a pretty basic litmus test. Not as dumb as Fredericks suit armor combo in Awakening but Awakening is like some kind of art design natural disaster. Keaton merely has the honor of "looking like a dingus".

This is a medieval dress suit. It's basically the same thing as Keaton wears but buttoned more formally.

Basically that stuff Endorph said.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

pictured, a man who traveled back in time to the french revolution to present them with the forbidden technology of suits

The 1700s are not medieval :psyduck:

You are almost a thousand years off.

Edit: Late 1700s early 1800s I should say.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

everyone was a starving peasant until 1900

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

voltcatfish posted:

Can confirm it makes a good Velouria, though it's kind of hard to ruin Velouria as her base growths are absolutely amazing. Having a second strong durable frontliner with draconic hex was pretty helpful on my lunatic run.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The 1700s are not medieval :psyduck:

You are almost a thousand years off.

Edit: Late 1700s early 1800s I should say.
i dont think fire emblem takes place in 735

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
People on the internet must double down when wrong, because it's better to live in exhaustion

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm okay with Fire Emblem being a weird pastiche of styles and don't particularly mind Keaton's more modernish sensibilities.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

What we should really be asking is how a man who probably uses twigs and rocks as currency afforded a suit

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cobalt Chloride posted:

What we should really be asking is how a man who probably uses twigs and rocks as currency afforded a suit

look, he was going to an opera, okay

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My friend's lovely boyfriend looks and acts like Keaton. He is the worst.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

i dont think fire emblem takes place in 735

Agreed though that would still be closer to the time period Fire Emblem is typically evoking than the goddamn French Revolution. High Middle Ages would be the best touchstone.

Keaton looks like a guy who should be serving shots in a bar. :shrug:

Fire Emblem characters these days are modules of quirks designed to be shipped. If that doesn't bother you, hey, that's great. For me they're something distasteful I kinda try to not look directly at.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cobalt Chloride posted:

He went up to the cashier to purchase the suit with the finest of his rocks, but along the way he got lost and wound up in the middle of hoshido.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fire Emblem characters are modules of quirks designed to be shipped. If that doesn't bother you, hey, that's great. For me they're something distasteful I kinda shove off to the side of the plate.
much like your posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

much like your posts

Same but unironically.

• Locked thread