Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski
:siren: This post will likely be evolving, so stay tuned! :siren:

:wotwot: A trivia contest you say?!

Let's get prepared again for TRIVIA, goons! We're back in action April 15, 16, and 17!

For those with archives...
Trivia 42's thread
Trivia 43's thread
Trivia 44's thread
Trivia 45's thread
Trivia 46's thread, with additional late year contests discussed in the end.

What the crap do you want us to do?

We've broken top ten 3 straight years, which should be described as an inhuman feat for a team that doesn't stalk Oz or obsess over crap like special edition cereal boxes and candy wrappers.

Some teams play for generations and haven't cracked top 50.

Info from previous years posted:

Tell Me More! :allears:
For the last 42 43 44 45 46... 47!! years Steven's Point, WI college radio station 90FM has run the world's largest trivia contest. There are around 500 teams from around the world who compete. The entire town is taken over by trivia contestants.

These are the canonical rules, but here's a brief overview.

• Game runs for 54 hours straight (non stop trivia action!)
  • Approximately 8 questions every hour. They read a question, play a song, re-read it, play another song. You have until the end of the second song to get your answer in. You're competing to get a correct answer and to get the answer in on time. :flashfact:

Imagine a couple thousand trivia nerds hitting redial :f5: for 54 hours straight. Yeah.

Things you should know:
  • The questions are designed to be Google-proof, but that's not always possible. They want to make you at least work to get the answers.
  • Scoring: The fewer people that answer correctly, the more valuable the question is and so those people get awarded more points.
  • You can do anything to get the answer.
  • Someone needs to dethrone The Network and Dad's Computers

What TEAM GOONS needs from you! :eng101:

Here's a list of things we need:
  • On the ground Goons: We had a group of goons in previous years that ran the On the Ground stuff for us in Stevens Point, and we're looking for more this year. Your primary tasks will be Running Questions, The Trivia Stone Rally Drive, and getting alcohol poisoning. Also you get to eat the free food if we win that again.
  • IRC. We have a channel on synirc #tp
  • Mumble We stream the audio for everyone over Mumble.
  • Recording the stream for review is essential. There are music questions where they play a 20 second clip of like 8 different songs. You have to try to get them all right. You are given a long time to answer, but if you only hear it once and don't have a recording you're missing out on big points. Being able to edit the clip and analyze it is invaluable.
  • Data Entry Goons: Someone to transcribe the questions to text for people on IRC
  • Non-Americans are welcome: Goons from around the world. They've had questions that Americans won't get. Pop culture or things in other countries could be on the list. Hey, it's 54 hours long... I'm not staying awake that entire weekend.
  • Media whores. You have every season of Hogan's Heroes, M*A*S*H* and other random TV shows? Yeah, we might need you to help us figure out what color socks someone is wearing or some other bullshit question.
  • Music nerds: Example question given by a coworker (accuracy not guaranteed)

"In the Huey Lewis and the News vinyl's included artwork there is a neon sign on the wall. What does it say?"

• Brains: Small panel of decision makers. We need some people to be the go-to about whether or not we submit an answer. A voting panel, per se.
  • Phones: Ability to call. We're on the internet. Get out your SIPs, your Skypes, and your cell phones -- we'll need everything you got to get our answers submitted.

Note, only one person can call the answer in for the team. Multiple offenses result in disqualification.

Official website (Don't be shocked at how bad this is)

We have improved steadily with each year, with our best year being last year, where we placed in FOURTH out of over 300 teams, giving us our third straight top ten finish.

Join us, and...

Sooo... are you ready to play Trivia, Fast Eddie?

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
im pretty good at trivia. also i will just cheat i got a computer and can google ya dingus

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

:siren:IRC INFO:siren:

Athanatos posted:

Little IRC help if anyone needs it. We use +v (Voice) to designate that you are a goon.

Edit: Dont let all this stuff under this message stop you from joining. If you dont do it you can still play trivia, the minimum you have to do is click that link. That's it. The other stuff is just extra for admin stuff.

This link should take you where you need to go: http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/#tp@irc.synirc.net

That link should take you to this.

Enter what ever name you want (Your SA name works fine), hit go and wait. It will take you to the chatroom. You should see people talking, and the Topic with information in it.

Down at the bottom where you can type stuff type this in:
:siren:You can double click your name in chat to open a private window incase you misstype:siren:

Use any password you want, and an email you can check. (DO NOT USE YOUR SA PASSWORD)
/ns register <PASSWORD> <EMAIL>

This should pop up so head over to your email:

You'll get an email like this:
[/img]http://i.imgur.com/dYh7IAh.png[/img]
Copy that command, and paste it into the chat

If you did it right you will get this:

Once you get that far send me (or another one of the OPs) a message:

Editor's Note: An OP is anyone in chat who has the same symbol (what symbol it is varies between clients) in front of their username as Lowtax. Lowtax is a bot though so don't send a pm to Lowtax

Now up at the top of the screen you can see your private messages to people:

If I am around I'll tell you to rejoin the channel. At the top part of the screen you can click the x near the #tp tab then type /rejoin #tp. OR you can totally close the mibbit tab and restart it. At this point you are registered and good to go.

If you have done all this and ever find yourself without +v in the channel type:

Editor's note: Most IRC clients do support /ns but not all of them (irssi doesn't, for example) and on those you can type "/msg nickserv" instead of "/ns" - it is the exact same command only most clients have made /ns a shortcut for "/msg nickserv". This note is irrelevant if you use mibbit since that one does support /ns, I just put this here if you dislike Mibbit and happen to try one of the not-supporting ones

That will log you into IRC and autovoice you. As always if you have any questions ask in the channel, everyone is helpful. You can message me anytime and if I am around I'll do my best to help.

We still have pictures to identify before the actual trivia starts, so hop in and see if you recognize something.

If you know what you are doing the server is irc.synirc.net and the channel is #tp

Note: If you're coming in for the first time, please say something when you join!

Nooner posted:

im pretty good at trivia. also i will just cheat i got a computer and can google ya dingus

You're supposed to google/use sources other than minds. The questions are of a level that you still can't answer every single question even with the wide world of the internet at your fingertips in the allotted amount of time.

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 14, 2016

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Hell yes, Trivia Time's a-coming. Time to start planning how to refurnish my entire apartment and do shopping to not have to leave the house all weekend.

WE'RE COMING FOR YOU, NETWORK

Edit:
:siren:EXAMPLE QUESTIONS:siren:
Curtesy of Athanatos and our own mini trivia contest. These are not actually from the real Trivia since The Oz doesn't want them posted on the internet, but the style of the questions is very much like real trivia.

1. Thomas R. Maguire writes a heartfelt letter to a Colonel thanking him for the letter of sympathy regarding his son. He understands they have to be careful about security these days, but wishes they could have told him how his son died. What is the first name of his son?

2. In a breakfast advertisement, a product which claims twice the vitamin and mineral nutrition sees Bob Bartram bet his entire house and lose it. Amanda Pittman bet something she was wearing and lost that too. What did Amanda Pittman bet?

3. This new wave band had their most success on the Billboard Charts in late 1982 with a Top Ten single, before following up almost four months later with another single that peaked at #30, in 1983, which talked about falling in love. What is the name of the band in question?

4. In one TV advertisement, an advisor, Arthur, tells us: "You can go to a doctor and tell them 'I've got this pain.' What's the difference? You can call a psychic and say 'I have this pain in my emotional life.'" What is the extension given to call Arthur?

5. Time for some basketball! This one time NBA MVP made an unexpected appearance with the fictional Tornadoes high school basketball team back in 1997. What brand of shirt is this professional athlete wearing while playing with the Tornadoes?

6. What American animated comedy, which aired on Jetix after its original run on Fox, debuted in 1995 and featured characters which included a veteran of a world war and a pet goldfish?

Now put on two 4-ish minute songs and try to google your way to answers to these. Then multiply what you just did by 100 goons in an irc room 8 times/hour for 54 hours straight and you have an idea of what this is like.

It is intense as gently caress, quick and adrenalined, it comes with a huge sense of achievement and just hanging in chat and seeing the magic is, well, magical.

Here are the answers to the above questions if you wanna cheat or check if you got them right
1. Tommy
2. The Family Jewels
3. A Flock of Seagulls
4. 8237
5. Adidas
6. Life with Louie

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 7, 2016

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
This comes up a few times in the thread each year, but join us if you don't think you'll be very useful. I guess I could also add join us even if you can only play for a couple of hours. We've had high-scoring questions answered by people who just hopped on for a couple of hours, and you never know what sort of useless information would get an answer right. There's always #tpmusic if you just want to hang out and listen to music all weekend (and answer the music snippet questions).

Man with Hat posted:

WE'RE COMING FOR YOU, NETWORK

Did someone say Network?

quote:

03:08 Spretznaz We stayed to take a picture, they come out with their BIG trophy and go "You know, you guys should try some NATURAL intelligence"

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
TRIVIA!!!

If you get too stressed out from the Googles, or if that's just not your thing at all, you are welcome to hang out with music crew and chill out, talk about tasty jams, and help the tryhards working on solving the questions know how much time they have until the phones go down in the back.

Music Crew 4 Lyfe

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Yep. Gonna do a thing. Already requested that Friday off, gonna goon it up so hard.

Still pissed I somehow never found out about this years ago. :v: But then, I almost never look at GBS.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
GET. loving. PUMPED.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I have returned from the dead to support my trivia friends. It's truly my favorite time of year and only people who have been awake at 4am arguing over whether Foghorn Leghorn is a penguin would understand.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
This sounds weird as gently caress but is actually fun. Join in April or whatever and see if it's any good.

Have some examples of what the contest question are:

1. Thomas R. Maguire writes a heartfelt letter to a Colonel thanking him for the letter of sympathy regarding his son. He understands they have to be careful about security these days, but wishes they could have told him how his son died. What is the first name of his son?

2. In a breakfast advertisement, a product which claims twice the vitamin and mineral nutrition sees Bob Bartram bet his entire house and lose it. Amanda Pittman bet something she was wearing and lost that too. What did Amanda Pittman bet?

3. This new wave band had their most success on the Billboard Charts in late 1982 with a Top Ten single, before following up almost four months later with another single that peaked at #30, in 1983, which talked about falling in love. What is the name of the band in question?

Be sure to put on 2 songs from the 1930s for each of these questions for the right immersion.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Hey now, it's usually 1950s, not 1930s. Whichever decade had the German baby song and "Please Mr. Custer".

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

This is a good thread imo

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I need a ciderboys tag this year

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Oh jeez it's already been ten months since the last one. Finding answers 5-30 seconds after it's been called in is more fun than it should be.

What's the on-the-ground situation currently? Very (very) lightly toying with the idea.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Already requested the day off work for a recovery Monday.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Sighence posted:

Oh jeez it's already been ten months since the last one. Finding answers 5-30 seconds after it's been called in is more fun than it should be.

What's the on-the-ground situation currently? Very (very) lightly toying with the idea.

I believe we really need more, especially since phuzzy won't be ground crew this year.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Sighence posted:

I have a big two room suite booked in Point that I'm not too keen on paying for by myself. If anyone plans on coming, you can PM me or message me on IRC.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
I love trivia time! Got the weekend off work and I'm ready to go. I need to get a Ciderboys tag this year.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, buddies, you guys are going to have to step up this year for Ground Crew since I am :yotj: out of Central Wisconsin.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Blackajack posted:

This is a good thread imo

Seems gay and a waste of time in mine. NERDS

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah hopefully we can get a few more goons up to SP to aid what few locals we have left :ohdear:

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

tao of lmao posted:

Yeah hopefully we can get a few more goons up to SP to aid what few locals we have left :ohdear:

One of these years I will fly across the loving ocean to do this. That's how good of a time this is. I Will Traverse Oceans.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

EngineerSean posted:

I need a ciderboys tag this year

Same

Can't loving wait for trivia this year

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Sounds fun!

I'll try to make it for a few hours at least and come hang in IRC/mumble. I know a lot of useless trivia, but this looks like a level beyond what most people could know offhand. How do you guys find the answers? Just hoping someone on the team happens to have the answer or a way to quickly get it?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Pawn 17 posted:

Sounds fun!

I'll try to make it for a few hours at least and come hang in IRC/mumble. I know a lot of useless trivia, but this looks like a level beyond what most people could know offhand. How do you guys find the answers? Just hoping someone on the team happens to have the answer or a way to quickly get it?

Mainly googling, occasionally knowledge, occasionally looking in our pantry's

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

The Glumslinger posted:

Mainly googling, occasionally knowledge, occasionally looking in our pantry's

Pff, I only use Bing :colbert:

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Pawn 17 posted:

Sounds fun!

It's pretty rare for someone to just know the answer but someone will often know something to point us in the right direction. Then its just a matter of smashing enough searches into google until you find the answer. So many google searches over trivia weekend.

The best ones are when it a question from some movie from the 50s or something and we find the whole thing on youtube, then there's a mad rush to find the right spot in time.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Pawn 17 posted:

Pff, I only use Bing :colbert:

This is legit useful. We have a lot of people using google in different ways with different terms and poo poo to find the answers fast but different search engines give different results sometimes so someone who for reals only uses Bing could find an answer on the same search terms that would not find the answer on google.

It's really, really rare. But it can happen.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Grashnak posted:

It's pretty rare for someone to just know the answer but someone will often know something to point us in the right direction. Then its just a matter of smashing enough searches into google until you find the answer. So many google searches over trivia weekend.

The best ones are when it a question from some movie from the 50s or something and we find the whole thing on youtube, then there's a mad rush to find the right spot in time.

Or when we kill a netflix CDN instance trying to all stream some crappy old movie

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Pawn 17 posted:

Sounds fun!

It's not enough to just brute-force google, but we search for nearly every answer - if that makes sense.

Your individual trivia knowledge will come into play in knowing what to look for. A lot of questions are seriously intense. I've answered maybe 3 questions directly in 5 years, but I've contributed knowledge that has lead to quite a few answers being found.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I've probably lead us astray on more questions than I was the first one to solve :(

Please ask more questions on sports

Thelanor
Jun 17, 2013

I saw this the last two years and worked a job where I needed to be there on the weekends. This year, i'll be in a more traditional position and have the whole weekend off, can't wait to see how this goes.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Grashnak posted:

The Glumslinger posted:

Or when we kill a netflix CDN instance trying to all stream some crappy old movie

drat, I'm starting to get the picture that this is going to be intense. I'm pumped already! :D

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm member of a party that has their annual convention that weekend.

I was like "gently caress no, lol".

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

brylcreem posted:

I'm member of a party that has their annual convention that weekend.

I was like "gently caress no, lol".

My company wanted to buy me a trip to denmark trivia weekend. Yeah, not happening, I got googling to do.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Done with work at 5pm EST on Friday and have off through Monday.

I have scheduled well this year

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Athanatos posted:

Have some examples of what the contest question are:

These are actual examples? What are the answers?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Parahexavoctal posted:

These are actual examples? What are the answers?

1. Tommy
2. The Family Jewels
3. A Flock of Seagulls

It's how all the questions are, gives you enough to google/get an idea what the question comes from, then once you have the source, you start digging into that source for the answer.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
We have doctors, CEOs, and at least a hundred goons who do nothing but smoke weed, eat Chipotle, and work on databases that are magical. Join our team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

McStabby posted:

This comes up a few times in the thread each year, but join us if you don't think you'll be very useful. I guess I could also add join us even if you can only play for a couple of hours. We've had high-scoring questions answered by people who just hopped on for a couple of hours, and you never know what sort of useless information would get an answer right. There's always #tpmusic if you just want to hang out and listen to music all weekend (and answer the music snippet questions).

By the way, we got a 200 pt. question last year because I got bored at the grocery store at 12am one day and took pictures of cereal boxes. Every little effort can be a big difference maker, no matter how stupid it may sound.

No, I am not turning into Network, why do you ask?

• Locked thread