Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«49 »
Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Popcorn posted:

I really think they deserved the lawsuit. You can sing the entire "sheeee's running out" section over the verse. They even owned up to it.

What's amazing to me is that so many bands, particularly Muse and Coldplay, were derided for supposedly aping Radiohead early in their careers, and yet the fact that what remains Radiohead's biggest ever hit single was so obviously plagiarised they actually got sued is barely known even by fans. Sure enough, regardless of what you think of those bands, Muse and Coldplay had transformed their sounds within a few years, just as Radiohead did.

Yes, I too remember when Coldplay changed their sound and then got sued by Joe Satriani over Viva La Vida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mutant Standard
Jun 21, 2007

Ballz posted:

They were recording it for a movie soundtrack, it would've been fine there.

For 1998 bomb The Avengers, of all movies.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

HD DAD posted:

Listening to I Promise and Lift, you can definitely see where they started making The Bends: Even Bendier before veering off into what would become OKC.

Totally. I always thought songs like Palo Alto hinted at the alternate timeline where, instead of going off the rails into Kid A land, Radiohead doubled down on being a rock group after OK Computer and kept themselves interested by going all Sonic Youth and messing around with weird distortion and feedback.

Am I right in thinking that OK Computer's sound was somewhat found by the band's participation in the War Child album and the Romeo + Juliet soundtrack? Both projects introduced limitations that resulted in fairly sparse / icy tracks and might've helped steer them in a direction they otherwise wouldn't have gone in. Could be talking out my arse, I'm not sure how the writing / recording timeline goes.

all-Rush mixtape
Sep 14, 2011

Because no one man should hold all that power.

Was OK Computer the Mr. Show of music? The A.V. Club tries to shoehorn that in somehow

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Listening to I Promise and Lift, you can definitely see where they started making The Bends: Even Bendier before veering off into what would become OKC.

Agreed, I get the same enjoyment from these "new" tracks that I do from the best of the Bends stuff, good heartfelt 90's arena rock, but definitely of their time, Lift in particular, whereas most songs on Ok Computer aren't as tethered to that era.

I remember they tried to rework Lift in a live performance in the early 2000's and stripped out the cheese, which just made it dull.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AUdCLWxD4JI

Mutant Standard
Jun 21, 2007

Man Of War sounds like The Bends era Radiohead trying to do "Live and Let Die."

Mutant Standard fucked around with this message at Jun 26, 2017 around 05:02

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Finally listened to Lift and yeah, it's good but not great. If a record exec heard it in '96 I can totally see them super stoked for a song like Lift as a continuation of The Bends, but clearly the band did the right thing in ditching it to go in a totally different direction. I will say that listening to the bonus disc, it does feel totally natural going from Lift to Lull.

Listening to these OKC era b-sides for the first time in years, and I can see most are probably leftovers from early in the recording process where they were still trying to break out of the Bends mold.

I still really like Man of War and wish they hadn't abandoned it. I still think back to that scene from Meeting People is Easy and it bums me out.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Anonymous John posted:

Yes, I too remember when Coldplay changed their sound and then got sued by Joe Satriani over Viva La Vida.

Ahaha touche, though I think that guy had way less of a case.

Sintax
Aug 2, 2002

Let's drink until our hearts stop.

Remaster sounds great, better quality than I had for a lot of this stuff for sure. Palo Alto has at least an enhanced intro/outro- and let's take this time 20 years later to, once again, remember how much Pearly owns.

The burnt-up OK Computer cover thumbnail is going to haunt me forever.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

I can only see a big vagina.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Haters gonna hate

I guess I'm happy these songs weren't on OK Computer, but I'm very happy to have them now and Lift in particular will probably be in some of my playlists for a bit.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

yeah i was most excited for Man of War but Lift is the one that's thoroughly stuck in my head right now

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This album reintroduced me to Polyethylene and I love it now.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

Steve2911 posted:

This album reintroduced me to Polyethylene and I love it now.

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that Palo Alto, Polyethlyne, Meeting in the Aisle and Man of War could have stood up to the rest of the album with a bit more cooking time.

And am I crazy or did Karma Police change the most in the remaster? What are most people hearing differently on this?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

Popcorn posted:

I can only see a big vagina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goAsMBX86nQ

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Had never heard The Air I Breathe before. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

It's a better song than creep.

«49 »