Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

BigFactory posted:

What’s the one song

Bodysnatchers?

Good God, man.

it's house of cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Yeah it’s house of cards. It’s a skip for me

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like house of cards a lot. I don’t really think there’s a weak song on the record though. House of cards is catchy

Bodysnatchers just sounds like a less fun Palo Alto

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The breakdown part is very good tho.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Bismack Billabongo posted:

The breakdown part is very good tho.

Of course, it’s a good song.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Radiohead is good

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YR-vDXMNQ0

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
House of Cards is magnificent, for me the weaker link on In Rainbows is Faust Arp but it serves its purpose

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

jigsaw is the only somewhat skippable song on IR for me. but even perfect albums need a valley

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Jigsaw is literally the song that got me fully onboard into Radiohead when I heard it on Pandora (remember Pandora?)

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Dang the SA app just ate my post but I’m going to say that In Rainbows is a series of S tier songs but I’d say the production is pretty mid. It has an airless quality to a lot of the songs (something shared by quite a bit of indie rock at the time) that I’m not a fan of. It’s a nitpicky preference but I’d put the production above Pablo Honey and HTTT but under everything else.

Edit: btw I think that AMSP might have the second best production? I can’t seriously put it above OKC, since that album is absolutely and undeniably immaculate in its sound, but ASMP’s sound does capture so many aspects of grief in a way that few albums have. And more specially it captures the confusion of grief better than anything else I’ve listened to (except for maybe “ill try living like this” by dds, but ASMP is definitely less janky sounding than that album, lol.)

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 29, 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Agree with House of Cards being In Rainbows' weakest track. It's not bad, it's just not anywhere near on the same level as the rest of what is otherwise an utter masterpiece.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Dang the SA app just ate my post but I’m going to say that In Rainbows is a series of S tier songs but I’d say the production is pretty mid. It has an airless quality to a lot of the songs (something shared by quite a bit of indie rock at the time) that I’m not a fan of. It’s a nitpicky preference but I’d put the production above Pablo Honey and HTTT but under everything else.

Idk I usually use reckoner and nude back to back when I change things up with my stereo and I’m trying to get things adjusted. I’m probably wearing out the grooves on those two songs, I should pick different ones.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Y'all are crazy, House of Cards is fantastic

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The vinyl/a vinyl rip of in rainbows is essential imo. One of those albums that's just better, like Icky Thumo

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Barry posted:

Y'all are crazy, House of Cards is fantastic

It’s ok at best but I get why people like it.

I used to think Faust Arp was bad but it’s actually really good and beautiful

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Walrus posted:

The vinyl/a vinyl rip of in rainbows is essential imo. One of those albums that's just better, like Icky Thumo

I agree with this. The vinyl master is really good

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BigFactory posted:

I agree with this. The vinyl master is really good

Thirding. One of the few modern vinyl masters where you can really tell the difference. Arcade Fire’s new album is also night and day between digital and vinyl.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Saw The Smile live. Really really good. As is traditional when seeing Thom and Jonny live they hosed up one song and gave up half way.

Debuted a new song, Friend of a Friend. Was quite upbeat.

They closed with Feeling Pulled Apart By Horses, the best version of it I've heard by a mile (including the original Reckoner version and the Thom solo effort).

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

RE: "House of Cards"

It's one of those Radiohead songs (along with "Bloom, for another example) that I prefer live but the studio version doesn't do as much for me.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It's just that the song doesn't really feel like it goes anywhere. It's still pleasant and Thom's singing is good, but the rest of the song is kind of eh.

I haven't heard a live version, but it may be like how I feel about Videotape too. It's a great song, but the live version is so much better.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Framboise posted:

Videotape

It's a great song, but the live version is so much better.

Yeah, someone before said S-Tier, and that 2006 version from Bonnaroo definitely falls in that category.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I used to think the ‘06 live version of Videotape was a banger, but over the years I’ve come to vastly prefer what we got on the album. Even better are the post-IR live versions. The From The Basement performance is phenomenal.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The 06 live version has a great energy but that I don't think that kind of anthemic crescendo would translate very well to a Radiohead record, especially not on an album like In Rainbows. It would have ended up sounding like Coldplay or something.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I don't really listen to All I Need, Bodysnatchers, Jigsaw, House of Cards, Faust Arp, or Videotape. But I love the other ones. In Rainbows is a bit of a b-side album for me, considering a lot of the songs never fit anywhere else and were pushed out to clear the back catalog.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Radiohead is good

Woah man. This is the radiohead thread you can't just say that. You have to talk about shooting stars and riffs that sound like t-rex's fighting.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I'll take 'Covers that were entirely unnecessary' for $500 Alex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMivK7j9vLI

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

hatelull posted:

:barf:

I can picture this playing in a romantic comedy

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

hatelull posted:

The worst part here is the autotune, especially at the big dramatic moments. You can hear that unnatural slide on "weeeeeeears him out."

It just sucks all the life from a performance. Especially since it doesn't service the song. It's supposed to be a little weary and harsh. But oh no, to if it's not perfectly on tune, listeners will reject it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Eh, I don't hate it. It's 100% unnecessary but not terrible.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

North American tour dates announced.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’ll probably be at the Atlanta show, hell yeah.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Hm. The album is only 53 mins long. They’ll have to pad out the setlist somehow right?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They’ve been playing a bunch of new songs, too.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jewmanji posted:

Hm. The album is only 53 mins long. They’ll have to pad out the setlist somehow right?
They're already on a European tour right now so they've got it covered

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

hallo spacedog posted:

North American tour dates announced.
:hellyeah:

I gotta get a ticket to the New Orleans show

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Got my tickets for Washington DC!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got my ticket to the New Orleans show!

That was definitely more than I expected to spend, though. I know it's Thom and Jonny, but the band has one album out for crying out loud! I remember paying that much for The Cure and Sigur Ros shows, for example, and both of those bands have long histories.

Oh well. I've never seen Radiohead and always wanted to, and this isn't Radiohead exactly but I like The Smile album more than the last couple Radiohead albums, so hell yeah :D

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
$38 in service fees for mobile tickets. gently caress Ticketmaster/AXS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Action Serious posted:

$38 in service fees for mobile tickets. gently caress Ticketmaster/AXS

I love it when they call it a "convenience fee".