Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

It would be nice if we had a Radiohead that wasn't just subjective opinion

We had a ban on ranking last time round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Yes, because it's dumb when the thread devolves into people simply posting lists of the correct "order" of albums. However, subjective opinion is a hell of a lot broader than that. If you eliminate subjective opinion you are left with little other than plain facts like... Radiohead consists of the following members, they released X album on Y date, they will be touring Z countries, etc. which is information that either everyone here already knows or that simply isn't public and available yet.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Earwicker posted:

He didn't really "get hosed over", his score for There Will Be Blood incorporated material that was not originally composed for the film and had been previously released, so it wasn't a fully original score and was thus disqualified. I enjoyed that soundtrack a lot and in general hate the Oscars and other awards ceremonies, but that particular incident seems fair.

And yet noted child-fucker Glen Hansard was able to get an Oscar in that very same year for Best Original Song for "Falling Slowly," which had been previously released on two separate albums before it appeared in Once.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Earwicker posted:

Yes, because it's dumb when the thread devolves into people simply posting lists of the correct "order" of albums. However, subjective opinion is a hell of a lot broader than that. If you eliminate subjective opinion you are left with little other than plain facts like... Radiohead consists of the following members, they released X album on Y date, they will be touring Z countries, etc. which is information that either everyone here already knows or that simply isn't public and available yet.

Yeah, but in a band that's been going since 92 or something, with such a breadth of work, with festival dates being announced, set lists to speculate over, great resources that capture the genesis of the songs, and a new album coming, not to mention tons of side projects, it shouldn't be too hard to keep the 'you guys are all wrong!' posts til the pages are in double figures at least.

Just my two cents. There is a middle ground between ranking and stats :)

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 6, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Yeah, but in a band that's been going since 92 or something, with such a breadth of work, with festival dates being announced, set lists to speculate over, great resources that capture the genesis of the songs, and a new album coming, not to mention tons of side projects, it shouldn't be too hard to keep the 'you guys are all wrong!' posts til the pages are in double figures at least.

Just my two cents. There is a middle ground between ranking and stats :)

I would kindly ask you to go back and read your posts in this thread.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ZoDiAC_ posted:

you're right, this thread should only contain objective statements of fact like the following:

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Spectre is great, let it grow on you.

ZoDiAC_ posted:

It wasn't even good enough to be Eraser part 2.

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Thief has a few songs too many. Goodbye We Suck Young Blood.

There There, though. That's a song right there. Thief has good variety and moods. It is not an LP form kind of album.

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Towering is poo poo. Just go to CitizenInsane

ZoDiAC_ posted:

They're all amazing songs, that were just 2001 bsides. Crazy.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ZoDiAC_ posted:

you heard the man, please discontinue talking about poo poo you like my fellow goons :smugjones:

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Guys

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Please

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Spectre feels and sounds exactly like what i would imagine a classic slow burning moody radiohead number done as a schmaltzy bond theme would sound like. It's a neat and gorgeous song.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Spectre is the best Radiohead song since 2007.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

It's a decent tune, which makes it completely inappropriate for the movie, which is crap.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Earwicker posted:

It's a decent tune, which makes it completely inappropriate for the movie, which is crap.

Is there a correlation between quality of Bond song and quality of Bond film though?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Real Name Grover posted:

Is there a correlation between quality of Bond song and quality of Bond film though?

Well there doesn't have to be. But I feel like the Radiohead song sets up false expectations, whereas the Sam Smith song is disappointing right from the get go, so you know what kind of experience you're in for.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I would like a Bond film that would fit to that tune.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

ZoDiAC_ posted:

My Radiohead opinions are objectively correct and I can prove it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

The King of Limbs is really cool yet somewhat dull. I really like the little quiet details that hangs in the lows. The talking you'll hear in the background during Separator, the vocoder in Codex (or Codex's "climax" in general, which feels like this very soft exhale), the white noise that changes in between Codex and Give Up the Ghost. How Lotus Flower begins with this thick hum while the rest of the song's elements begin very quietly but grow louder.

And there's some great sonic textures. The drumming in Lotus Flower is really fantastic, it has this stiff yet rubbery quality to it. I love how Little By Little sounds, the simple guitar playing paired up with all this acoustic noise that takes up all this space, and how little breathing room there is until the bridge. Codex and Give Up The Ghost are very bare, simple songs, but the touches with Codex very watery gliding piano and Give Up The Ghost's distorted vocal backings are impactful as all heck.

I think Thom Yorke was tired of how Radiohead songs would traditionally climax or break down. So he tried to write songs that did so in ways that were more subtle.

but the album is still pretty dull and hard to keep in a constant rotation

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Give Up The Ghost was very cool live. Lotus Flower is really bad live, which is a bummer.

Separator and Feral are the best songs on the album tho. I hope Identikit and Full Stop are on the new record because they were cool and good live.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Mutant Standard posted:

I think Thom Yorke was tired of how Radiohead songs would traditionally climax or break down. So he tried to write songs that did so in ways that were more subtle.

I think this is exactly right. Radiohead's "classic" songs are known for their climactic releases - "For a minute I lost myself" in Karma Police, the strings swelling in Reckoner, All I Need's big outro, There There and Paranoid Android's guitar freakouts, etc. But The King of Limbs is all about the denial of catharsis, the unbroken water...

There isn't a single crash or ride cymbal anywhere on the album, and that's incredibly revealing.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Feral is an exercise in build and release if there ever was one.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Anaranjado posted:

Feral is an exercise in build and release if there ever was one.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I love The King of Limbs, one of my most listened-to RH albums. Good album to gently caress to

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Popcorn posted:

My Radiohead opinions are objectively correct and I can prove it.

Exactly.

Some people are content to just list "here is my little top five" like that can mean anything to anyone else.

You, sir, as we proved in the ol' threads, not only have your favourites but TALK about WHY and what they mean to you. Syncopated beats, the lot!

All I want is intelligent conversation. If you can make a case for your subjective to be intelligent, well. Go for it.

Too early in the thread for me to ask you for your Amnesiac analysis?

Cause I can't face the evenin' straight....

Popcorn posted:

I think this is exactly right. Radiohead's "classic" songs are known for their climactic releases - "For a minute I lost myself" in Karma Police, the strings swelling in Reckoner, All I Need's big outro, There There and Paranoid Android's guitar freakouts, etc. But The King of Limbs is all about the denial of catharsis, the unbroken water...

There isn't a single crash or ride cymbal anywhere on the album, and that's incredibly revealing.

Yes. Thom's lyrics are indeed good at lending themselves to wholesome, interpretative meanings. Very soulful, and the music does back up a release, as it were.

"Fake Plastic Trees" very cathartic.

"Pyramid Song" I would put forward as a high watermark for however you judge music - lyrically, melodically, production, the time signature, from many an angle it is fine, good, whole music. Synocapated enough, eh Popcorn? :)

King of Limbs has elements of this. My favourite example, probably Give Up the Ghost.

Astrochicken posted:

Spectre feels and sounds exactly like what i would imagine a classic slow burning moody radiohead number done as a schmaltzy bond theme would sound like. It's a neat and gorgeous song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_CwBqKSNno

-------

So!! I'm back from probation.

Is anyone else seeing Radiohead at a festival this year? How excited are you? Objectively.

1. Jonny
2. Thom
3. Colin
4. Nigel
5. The others

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 7, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ZoDiAC_ posted:

"Pyramid Song" I would put forward as a high watermark for however you judge music - lyrically, melodically, production, the time signature, from many an angle it is fine, good, whole music. Synocapated enough, eh Popcorn? :)

King of Limbs has elements of this. My favourite example, probably Give Up the Ghost.

Yeah, KoL is like a whole album of Pyramid Song, which is awesome.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, KoL is like a whole album of Pyramid Song, which is awesome.
Except that Pyramid Song is actually really entertaining to listen to whereas KoL is not.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Except that Pyramid Song is actually really entertaining to listen to whereas KoL is not.

I am currently entertained by it right now...therefore something something expand your horizons

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Can we take a second to recognize that Bangers & Mash rocks the gently caress out? It's reminds me a lot of Crosseyed and Painless, which is always a good thing.

That drop A riff is amazingly nasty.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

a giant dildo dies

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
All Radiohead is amazing but the Kid A/Amnesiac period is easily the best in pretty much every way (music/album structure/artwork/general ideas and atmosphere).

That's my opinion, ok bye

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hate bangers and mash. Sounds clunky. Hate most Radiohead 'rockers' tbh

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

it's like i've fallen out of bed from a long and vivid dream

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

Popcorn posted:

guitar freakouts

I miss these. I know they wouldn't really fit nowadays with how Radiohead has evolved over the years but Jonny really could play.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Barry Foster posted:

All Radiohead is amazing but the Kid A/Amnesiac period is easily the best in pretty much every way (music/album structure/artwork/general ideas and atmosphere).

That's my opinion, ok bye

The more I listen to it the more I think Hail To The Thief is SO close to being a perfect album. It's just We Suck Young Blood and The Gloaming in the middle that drag it down. Everything else is atmospheric as gently caress and just brilliant.

Basically if Young Blood was shorter and The Gloaming was saved for a b-side, it would be the equal-best Radiohead album.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hedrigall posted:

The more I listen to it the more I think Hail To The Thief is SO close to being a perfect album. It's just We Suck Young Blood and The Gloaming in the middle that drag it down. Everything else is atmospheric as gently caress and just brilliant.

Basically if Young Blood was shorter and The Gloaming was saved for a b-side, it would be the equal-best Radiohead album.

This is also absolutely true, although I'd keep The Gloaming and get rid of A Punchup At A Wedding.

I love the dark fairytale vibe of the Hail to the Thief era (also including related stuff like The Most Gigantic Lying Mouth of All Time).

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Corvo posted:

I miss these. I know they wouldn't really fit nowadays with how Radiohead has evolved over the years but Jonny really could play.

Well, after OKC people thought the Jonny solos were gone forever too - not a jot of them on Kid A or Amnesiac - but you have classic frenetic guitar work from Jonny on HTTT and In Rainbows. So it being absent for TKOL isn't necessarily a death sentence.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Jonny still has guitar work, guys.

Hell he just evolved anyway,

Wasn't Ed scoring them strings in Spectre.

Or Big Boots 2

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

This is also absolutely true, although I'd keep The Gloaming and get rid of A Punchup At A Wedding.

I love the dark fairytale vibe of the Hail to the Thief era (also including related stuff like The Most Gigantic Lying Mouth of All Time).

Honestly, I'd rather them having waited a bit until they realized to put in that sweet bassline Colin plays in the live version of The Gloaming.

Shove We Suck and I Will into b-side territory.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Honestly, I'd rather them having waited a bit until they realized to put in that sweet bassline Colin plays in the live version of The Gloaming.

Shove We Suck and I Will into b-side territory.

Ed: "We should have pruned it down to 10 songs, then it would have been a really good record."

Colin: "I didn't want three or four songs on there, because I thought some of the ideas we were trying out weren't completely finished." Such as? "The Gloaming. We played it live and it was cool. My brother [Jonny] sampled each of the instruments on stage, cut them up then sent them back into the mix. It was so exciting, like a live DJ show, and Thom performed off of all of that. But it wasn't the same in the studio."

I strongly suspect Radiohead performed The Gloaming for the From the Basement live album because they wanted to get some "fixed" version out there in some form. The same might be true of Myxomatosis - the From the Basement version's simplified arrangement (particularly the drumming) is a huge improvement over the record, IMO.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Popcorn posted:

Ed: "We should have pruned it down to 10 songs, then it would have been a really good record."

Colin: "I didn't want three or four songs on there, because I thought some of the ideas we were trying out weren't completely finished." Such as? "The Gloaming. We played it live and it was cool. My brother [Jonny] sampled each of the instruments on stage, cut them up then sent them back into the mix. It was so exciting, like a live DJ show, and Thom performed off of all of that. But it wasn't the same in the studio."

I strongly suspect Radiohead performed The Gloaming for the From the Basement live album because they wanted to get some "fixed" version out there in some form. The same might be true of Myxomatosis - the From the Basement version's simplified arrangement (particularly the drumming) is a huge improvement over the record, IMO.

Such an awesome record though. There's not an album out there that better captures the paralytic 'don't ask questions' mood of the War on Terror in it's early stages. I remember meeting people that basically said Radiohead was 'over' when they heard it, probably the same people that said Amnesiac was lovely leftovers, or that KoL is some sort of Fly-lo copycat montage.

Basically, every Radiohead album is the worst Radiohead album...for a while.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Jonny still has guitar work, guys.

Hell he just evolved anyway,

Wasn't Ed scoring them strings in Spectre.

Or Big Boots 2

Aside from possibly also being considered for a (different) Bond theme, what is the connection between Big Boots and Spectre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Astrochicken posted:

Aside from possibly also being considered for a (different) Bond theme, what is the connection between Big Boots and Spectre?

Is this a Zen koan?

They share some of the same notes, but are of a different scale.