Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
It's a lot better when he's relating things to what's actually happening in the album and sounds rather than talking about it like a torture horror movie that mysteriously didn't occur to other people. I buy that it's a darker statement than OKC and Kid A but....not that dark lmao.

Although it might be because I've never been someone who places as much weight on lyrics as he seems to.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

He's obviously the empath sort and is interpreting emotion and metaphor in everything single thing he experiences, for good or ill.

PostEldar
May 7, 2004

I'm in your area.
I so prefer this to the typical pitchfork review or whatever. Approach and style reminds me of Greil Marcus.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Whoa poo poo, I just realized Reckoner/Pulled apart by horses was debuted at the only RH show I ever went to. I'd been wondering what ever became of that song until I started googling around today, it sounded so good back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_j6c21spck

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
My OKNOTOK set came w/ a digital download code for the album. I assume it's the same stuff from a link they provided a few weeks ago. Anyone interested?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

My OKNOTOK set came w/ a digital download code for the album. I assume it's the same stuff from a link they provided a few weeks ago. Anyone interested?

Yes, please!

edit; Thanks, homie! :):hf::)

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 14, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress, if anyone else has one going...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Added full transcript of chapter 11 (Life In a Glass House) in the Darnielle Amnesiac review on last page. Took a while, sorry...

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Steve2911 posted:

gently caress, if anyone else has one going...

Still waiting for mine to arrive, but I ordered it through Fatbeats.com rather than the official site so who the gently caress knows when it'll arrive.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
That June 18th show on radiohead.tv is excellent.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Kull the Conqueror posted:

That June 18th show on radiohead.tv is excellent.

I was there on the 8th row, can confirm, it was EXCELLENT. The audience's respectful and euphoric behavior made it even greater.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My boxset shipment arrived today. Kinda.

The mailmen just dropped off an empty box with "empty-opened in transit" written in Sharpie on it. :smith:

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Mr. Mountain Goat is right in that the sequencing of those two albums is especially important and it is part of the reason i love pulk/pull so much. It also encapsulates so well that surreal techno-horror vibe that the band was going for in that era.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My replacement boxset arrived today!

Getting to thumb through (a replica) of one of Thom's notebooks is strange. On one hand, it's really cool seeing his little bits of free association that get turned into songs, on the other it seems like a strange (albeit sanctioned) invasion of privacy.

I held off on listening to the cassette until I got my copy and... wow, there's some good stuff in here. I knew that the Meeting People is Easy version of Nude was coming but I still gasped when it started, I thought I'd never hear the full thing. And the solo demo of Motion Picture Soundtrack is amazing.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 28, 2017

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
Y'all digging this version of Bloom yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_38JDGnr0vA

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

A little overblown, but better than doing trailer music for the next Marvel film.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pretty fuckin' cool.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Blue Planet 2 looks very good.
That song sounds very not good.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I like it. :shobon:

It's nowhere near as good as the original version, but it's got a nice symphonic flair to it that works well for epic documentary soundtrack purposes.

Enjoy this behind the scenes video of Thom's pants the song

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Man, I really should listen to TKOL more.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
TKOL is when Radiohead briefly became Talking Heads and it's my favorite for that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

HD DAD posted:

TKOL is when Radiohead briefly became Talking Heads and it's my favorite for that.

It's so good.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
The production is real good, it's just a shame Thom didn't have a better batch of songs up his sleeve at the time.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Lol the latest rolling stone thing with outtakes from the msp interview has a bit where they ask about them being inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame and each member gives a variation on "its nice but i dont wanna go, that stuffs embarrassing"

Except colin whos like "hell yeah man i would go, maybe ill just go play the creep bassline like 5 times"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/JnnyG/status/917472509435531266

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Holy lol at TKOL. That whole thing is pretty well done.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw that on Twitter earlier and laughed a whole lot. The greatest part is that Jonny condones it and Thom retweeted it :lol:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Two months late to the party but they did a music video for Lift.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
They did that when the album was rereleased. Cool video though.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Yeah, the videos for I Promise and Man O' War came out right when the re-release happened, but the Lift video was released a few months later so I never noticed it until yesterday when it popped up in my recommendations. Figured I'd share it here since no one had done so previously (I think we were distracted by Blue Planet Bloom at the time).

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
It's a cool video to a really great song, even if I think setting the video to a song called "Lift" entirely in a lift is a bit on the nose.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
it’s a very 90’s sort of on the nose though, which I enjoyed given what a Bends throwback it is.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The video made me like the song more. It fits really well.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

lelandjs posted:

There's a little electronic instrumental track that fits perfectly under True Love Waits, implying that it's the instrumental for the rumored electronic version of the song. Pulk/Pull appears to use the piece as a sample, mirroring I Will/Like Spinning Plates

This is brilliant - the old school Radiohead mysteries are alive and well. I loved reading everything I could to find out as much as possible.

Also that BBC version of Bloom is beautiful and I want to see more sultry strings on Radiohead songs.

auzdark fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 29, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

auzdark posted:

This is brilliant - the old school Radiohead mysteries are alive and well. I loved reading everything I could to find out as much as possible.

Yeah, that was quite possibly my favorite "find" from the cassette. Don't get me wrong, hearing the full version of Nude from when it was originally recorded was amazing, but I freaking love tracing the history and evolution of a song across a band's career, and Radiohead has a ton of them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

PostEldar posted:

Wow, I just devoured that. I loving love how batshit it is, how personal and joyful. I've long admired the Mountain Goats and I knew he was a writer, but hadn't checked anything out yet. My favorite thing about this whole analysis is a patient, focused discussion of the songs themselves. I've always wanted music writers to do that, dissect the songs and offer lots of striking images to accompany them during future listens.

Check out his works of fiction, both really good books.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
In a bit of dramatic irony, Radiohead are suing Lana Del Rey because the verse of her song "Get Free" uses a similar chord structure to that of "Creep".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzP4kQhlPBY

I do see their point, but it's an interesting glass house from which to throw rocks...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sir Lemming posted:

it's an interesting glass house from which to throw rocks...
Well that is where they live...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLPE164XG6E

Also, Lana's song is the inferior Get Free. She should've just covered this instead and saved herself a legal battle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asOvnGHwtDU

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
kind of ridiculous that they (allegedly) won’t take anything but 100 percent, given, you know, the Hollies. and for that matter Sexy Sadie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well that is where they live...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLPE164XG6E

Also, Lana's song is the inferior Get Free. She should've just covered this instead and saved herself a legal battle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asOvnGHwtDU

I like this version. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytIfSuy_mOA