Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

Mods, to be fair, Wrestlemania 32 really did feel like a drug trip at times. Sad to see the toll it's taken on this poster.

I'm fine.

I started a meaningful music megapost here

I'm deep, not stupid.

Hope you enjoy my posts. I don't know the mods here now.

Don't backseat them. They might think it funny to let me hang myself. I dunno them. I have broken old rules but the forums are not the same.

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Anaranjado posted:

Let's rank some albums guys!!

In Rainbows is my favorite.

Me too.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Popcorn posted:

I worry about Radiohead fans sometimes. This wait has really damaged a few people.

Excuse me pal but you don't know me from Adam and Joe. Knock off pretending we didn't exchange a chummy message and now you play this transparent crap that offers nothing. I can be accused of spam. I accuse you of dishonesty.

It's trash and beneath you. Post something intelligent about music. You're good enough. Swarming at some avatar on a forum amounts to gently caress all.

I posted an arg for a laugh. I've worked in mental health mate, you brought up damage. Well, worked in wards, it's grim. What face are you showing me here? Ad hominem crap.

I have never been sectioned if you are referring to damaged health.

Quote peep show, fine.

I'm not a fan of this band, I'm a professional musician, now, I am comfortable with music, this band are great, I am someone
who admires them. I expected some courtesy from you. I have only let myself down.

I laugh at your crap piss take. It has the substance of morning dew.

So I address you directly. Here, now. In the open.

What else is there? You guys just talk about little by little basslines. Five years

Popcorn. I see you on cooked and bombed. You have loads to, offer mate. So deep there. Don't become Steven. Mired on old stuff. Conspiracy crap like biggytitbo

I'm not gonna quote your pm. That's distrust.

But your Japanese band friends are rad and could provide content here. Tell the good people here! Open up

I got self promotion and vanity and real research but no radiohead music.

Bleep bloop.

You have radiohead music. Tell them. Don't be shy.

I might not get banned. I don't care about attention. It's a forum.

You can Google 24hr search radiohead if you're that bothered.

My favourite radiohead album is in rainbows. I'm seeing them in Portugal.

Post something experimental. It's the internet. You're in Japan. That's culture shock,

You can open up on a Web forum.

LOL I'm not your Tyler Durden. There was syncopation before there was written music. It's called speech.

Contribute son. Grow beyond the band, you're not stuck in a lift.

I'm optimistic. Even if I'm in limbo.

You used to be alright.

What happened?

Popcorn. Post content about radiohead.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

That Little By Little baseline tho

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

That Little By Little baseline tho

Colin shines on that song live. He's integral.

He has shades of the Black Monks.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Anaranjado posted:

Let's rank some albums guys!!

In Rainbows is my favorite.

I made a radiohead cd-r mix when I was a teenager. It was undoubtedly the Best Radiohead Album.

edit: it included We Suck Young Blood. Maybe it doesn't belong on HTTT but it's such a wicked song. Them handclaps.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I think hail to the thief is bad.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Anaranjado posted:

All of it? Like good songs but bad record, or you just think it's all bad. I could kinda get behind good songs that don't work when you put them all together.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

BigFactory posted:

I could kinda get behind good songs that don't work when you put them all together.

I think that's a fairly common complaint, that it feels more like a collection of unrelated songs, particularly when compared to the previous few albums. Isn't there some sort of alternative tracklisting that Thom suggested?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The album does have a kind of overarching sense of paranoia and darkness which I'd say is pretty consistent on every song. It's a bit bloated, but it's an effective and thematically coherent artwork, I think.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

BigFactory posted:

All of it? Like good songs but bad record, or you just think it's all bad. I could kinda get behind good songs that don't work when you put them all together.
The former mostly. I think if you slashed everything but like 6 songs you'd have a fantastic EP but yeah it's bloated and honestly the strongest songs are surrounded by stuff that feels tedious and barely fleshed out

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
2+2
Sit Down Stand Up
There There
Punch-up
Myxomatosis
Wolf at the door

There, ten times better

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
this is Thom Yorke's alternate tracklist for hail to the thief

there there
the gloaming
sail to the moon
sit down. stand up
go to sleep
whereiendandubegin
scatterbrain
2+2=5
myxomatosis
a wolf at the door

it works much better imo

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The big problem to me is that it's mixed like a rock album compared to Amnesiac which is super lush and dreamy. Throw in some dull tracks and it's not my fave. But There There is one of my favorite Radiohead songs, so that's something I guess.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Does Thom often suggest alternative track listings?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Mutant Standard posted:

this is Thom Yorke's alternate tracklist for hail to the thief

there there
the gloaming
sail to the moon
sit down. stand up
go to sleep
whereiendandubegin
scatterbrain
2+2=5
myxomatosis
a wolf at the door

it works much better imo

I like that it cuts the tracks I don't think work very well on the album, but sticking 2+2=5 somewhere in the middle is so wrong. Hail to the Thief is a flawed album, but it has the strongest opening of pretty much any Radiohead album except for Kid A.

Of the cut tracks, Punchup at a Wedding is a particularly good song, but I don't think I ever recognized that until I had it come up in shuffle. Even now, it's an album where I inevitably tune out at some point until Myxomatosis regains my attention.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

The album does have a kind of overarching sense of paranoia and darkness which I'd say is pretty consistent on every song. It's a bit bloated, but it's an effective and thematically coherent artwork, I think.

This is totally true, especially with regard to the climate of the times upon release. There was just a lot to say back then.

Rollersnake posted:

I like that it cuts the tracks I don't think work very well on the album, but sticking 2+2=5 somewhere in the middle is so wrong. Hail to the Thief is a flawed album, but it has the strongest opening of pretty much any Radiohead album except for Kid A.

I agree, in fact, I feel like the first 6 songs of HttT are in perfect order and give off this incredible sense of oppression and dread. I can deal with We Suck Young Blood. The Gloaming loses me, though. There is something incredibly propulsive about the first half of Hail that I don't think any other Radiohead album manages, the idea that the album starts running on fumes after 8-9 songs is notable because it's been on maximum burn for 30 minutes by that point.

If I were to trim the album in a playlist I'd keep the overall order but directly cut out The Gloaming, I Will, A Punch Up, and Scatterbrain. The transitions are nice this way and none of the overall tone is lost.

The album is great tho, definitely gonna give the Thom-order a spin.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
HTTT owns, but yes, it is messy, rushed, unfinished, bloated. On the other hand, it was written in response to an era - and politics - which were also messy, rushed, unfinished, and bloated, so in that sense it's appropriate. Kinda. Sorta.

Everyone agrees it needs fewer tracks, but no one agrees which ones need the cut. Personally I think opening with There There is too good not to do, even if it means 2+2=5 feeling a bit lost somewhere else. I did never like that opening with static and "that's a good way to start, Jonny", though - that sort of off-mic loving around is really out of character with the band and the rest of the album.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Does Thom often suggest alternative track listings?

Nope, only for HTTT and only, I think, because the band (and everyone in the entire world) agrees that the album was rushed and unfinished.

BigFactory posted:

The big problem to me is that it's mixed like a rock album compared to Amnesiac which is super lush and dreamy.

Thom insisted that they use rough mixes for most of Hail to the Thief, which seems to have caused Nigel Godrich lasting pain ever since. He said in an interview with some music tech students a couple of years ago that he thought the album sounded "brown". At the time the band was insisting on doing stuff quickly and not overthinking stuff (because making Kid A and Amnesiac had nearly killed them), so I guess that's where Thom was coming from. I also suspect it led to a bit of a falling out and that's why they didn't hire Nigel again for In Rainbows, but then of course they couldn't make it without him so they hired him back. That's just my speculation though.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 5, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Listening to it now and I am of the opinion that the Thom-order sucks. Sorry, internet!

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Anaranjado posted:

I liked it much more after seeing them play it live. Myxamatosis wasn't really my thing prior to seeing it performed.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

The Singing Chav posted:

I liked it much more after seeing them play it live. Myxamatosis wasn't really my thing prior to seeing it performed.

Yeah myxomatosis is awesome live, lot more energy live
Feels too....synthetic on album. I guess that's a dumb way of putting it but who gives a poo poo

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Myxomatosis is, in my opinion, the Radiohead song that made the biggest jump, quality-wise, from studio to performance (or vice-versa, depending on which way you look at it).

The live version benefits from simplified drumming, and as far as I'm concerned the drumming absolutely makes the song. The From the Basement performance is so good, in fact, that I sometimes think it's the best thing Radiohead ever did. The studio version suffers from being too cut-up and layered, which works for a lot of Radiohead songs (like the entirety of King of Limbs IMO), but not Myxomatosis.

I don't much like the version they played on the last tour, though. They had two drummers so took the opportunity to overcomplicate the rhythm section again. Sounds a drat mess.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I kind of like how horrible and grating and cut up and synthetic Myxomatosis is on the album, since it serves the song's overall atmosphere well. It sounds like serotonin syndrome brain zaps or something. But then again that may just be me being wanky and difficult

(this is not to impugn the From The Basement version, because both of those sets are masterful and nigh-on perfect)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hail to the Thief was really my first Radiohead album and it will always have a warm place in my heart because of that.

I'm not that young, I just got into them relatively late in highschool.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I hate the synths in Where I End and You Begin.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mutant Standard posted:

I hate this post.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mutant Standard posted:

This is objectively the wrong opinion

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mutant Standard posted:

Watch, but not take part.

In posting.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

"Hey this song sounds promising let's drown it out in what sounds like a robot whale getting buttfucked."

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

I bet you think Fake Plastic Trees would be better if it was just guitars too :colbert:

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I mind thinking the segue from Exit Music (For a Film) to Let Down was loving brilliant. Just caught me again there. It's amazing.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

I mind thinking the segue from Exit Music (For a Film) to Let Down was loving brilliant. Just caught me again there. It's amazing.

It is great, but my favorite is "Optimistic" to "In Limbo" and then "In Limbo" to "Idioteque".

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Man, I love Let Down so, so much. I've not listened to OK Computer for ages, but my mate put on Radiodread the other day and the Toots & the Maytals version on there really reminded me how brilliant it is (their version also owns).

Probably my favourite on the album (with Lucky as a close second)

Sand Monster posted:

It is great, but my favorite is "Optimistic" to "In Limbo" and then "In Limbo" to "Idioteque".

Every transition on Kid A is amazing, it's definitely the album with the most flow. The transition between Everything In Its Right Place to Kid A is also particularly brilliant.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Sand Monster posted:

qtiyd. I've always wanted to hear what they would do with this live but of 4 the shows I've seen they have only played Optimistic once and never In Limbo.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
https://www.reddit.com/r/offmychest/comments/4dlz4u/im_delaying_my_suicide_for_radioheads_upcoming/

Lmao.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Someone buy this gentleman a forums account.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

In an interstellar burst, Thom Yorke needs to come back to save this guy's universe.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Sounds like his life is In Limbo during this wait. I don't think he's feeling Optimistic. Little By Little he loses hope for lp9. Faust ARP.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Some gonna get that poo poo on Videotape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Word on the street is Paul Thomas Anderson has directed a music video for Radiohead: http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.jp/2016/04/pta-may-have-directed-new-music-video.html

Sounds like they're going expensive for this one.