Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

BigFactory posted:

I could kinda get behind good songs that don't work when you put them all together.

I think that's a fairly common complaint, that it feels more like a collection of unrelated songs, particularly when compared to the previous few albums. Isn't there some sort of alternative tracklisting that Thom suggested?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

I mind thinking the segue from Exit Music (For a Film) to Let Down was loving brilliant. Just caught me again there. It's amazing.

It is great, but my favorite is "Optimistic" to "In Limbo" and then "In Limbo" to "Idioteque".

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

And now there's this:

quote:

Update (4/15 8:20 a.m.): Radiohead's camp have issued a statement clarifying Message's relationship to the band. He is "not Radiohead's manager - he is a partner in Courtyard Management but plays no operational role, and therefore any quotes from last night's event, or any supposition arising from them, should not be attributed to Radiohead's management or be seen as official quotes on behalf of the group."

From http://pitchfork.com/news/62800-radiohead-new-album-out-in-june/?mbid=social_facebook

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Real Name Grover posted:

Goons, what're those strings (particularly at the beginning) reminding me of? I swear I've heard something similar in a Final Fantasy game or somewhere.

This isn't what you're thinking of, but it definitely reminds me of the strings in this live version of "Never Stop" by Echo & the Bunnymen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTm5KzBvRqk

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

I guess I was just thinking of recent releases, like Supercollider, Staircase, The Butcher, The Daily Mail.

Not certain on this but weren't all of those released as singles after the album dropped? It seems like the songs they've released as videos before the actual album release, e.g. "Lotus Flower" or "There There", end up being on the album.

Jewmanji posted:

Can we use this as space to discuss our favorite non-LP tracks? The obvious answer is Worrywort.

"Cuttooth".

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

68k posted:

... Big Boots/Follow Me Around/Lift making an appearance.

Yes please.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Available from WASTE now:

https://amsp.wasteheadquarters.com/collections/frontpage

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

olin posted:

Wow the present tense is insane. I actually didn't care for the live Thom acoustic guitar version at all but this is epic. It sounds a 1970s version of Radiohead somehow.

"Present Tense" is fantastic. Wow.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

"Identikit" -> "The Numbers" -> "Present Tense" :swoon:

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

BigFactory posted:

I really don't see this one getting much play at the beach or in the gym.

Probably not, no. But I didn't know that was a bad thing.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Wonder what Rachael thinks of this record

So admittedly I haven't kept up on Thom's personal life. Was he married but no longer is, and this is the first record since the divorce?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

BigFactory posted:

It's probably their best album.

Indeed, but is it good for the beach or the gym?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

The beginning of Present Tense is stuck in my head because it sounds like sashaying onto a Spanish beach.

I've seen a lot of people referring to it as a "samba" rhythm.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

New video on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BFobIUWKyu2/

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

HD DAD posted:

E: I think they're playing the album in order?

Yep. They did this the first show after they released "In Rainbows", IIRC.

Edit: Or not, because now they're playing "Morning Mr. Magpie". Weird.

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 20, 2016

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

BigFactory posted:

This guy makes pretty good lists at least, with the links and everything's numbered.

Do you do other lists now that youve got the bug? Best number of times to tap a doorknob before you open it?

Best albums for the beach, best albums for the beach!!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

CRINDY posted:

The moment Bloom kicked in with dual live drummers and you could physically see the sheer craftsmanship that went into the song (and the rest of the album), my opinion on TKOL did a 180. I've got Lotus Flower and Separator in my Radiohead top 10 songs list.

Agreed on "Bloom" and I definitely had a new appreciation for "Morning Mr. Magpie", which I completely dismissed on the album, after seeing it live.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

So is everyone in agreement that The Numbers basically sounds like an unused song from Sea Change? There's nothing wrong with it per se, but once I noticed that I couldn't stop being bothered by it.

It reminds me a lot of a Beatles song, particularly the the end with what sounds like people laughing in the background.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You bring up an important point. All lists need to include a second Beach Tier list

Please include a gym tier breakdown, as well.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Ballz posted:

Anyone know what special event or whatever happened at the local record stores today?

An audio stream of Radiohead songs plus playlists from band members coinciding with physical copies of the album going on sale, I believe.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

trip report radiohead loving owns live, highlight was everything in right place segue into idioteque into there there

The "EEIRP" to "Idioteque" segue at Lollapalooza was the highlight for me, too. drat that was slick.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Earwicker posted:

if you are just going to see one specific band you like and expect them put on a good show, coachella is not the place for that

I saw comments elsewhere that the crowd at Coachella is generally terrible. Is that largely the reason?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Festivals are generally pretty terrible unless you're 20 and love eating drugs in huge crowds. They're fine if that's your thing.

I saw them at Lollapalooza and it was overall a frustrating experience largely due to the crowd. I'd love to see New Order, too, but if Coachella crowds are even worse than Lollapalooza then I don't imagine it would be worth it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Seems a bit odd that they're playing so many arenas whereas they used to be against that entirely and opted for the open air venues. I'm sure time of the year has something to do with it, but still.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Radiohead had good opening acts when I saw them. I think one time it was Steve Malkmus, and the other time is was kid koala and beta band.

Kid Koala and The Beta Band on the 2001 tour was by far my favorite of the Radiohead opening acts that I've seen.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

I saw Caribou open for them on the TKOL tour and he was great. Made me a fan of his for sure.

Good call, forgot about him, too.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

AARO posted:

What the hell is your reason for making GBS threads on my excitement?

He's just upset because it won't be as good of an album to listen to at the beach as he was hoping from the next release.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I've missed 90s Thom vocals. Digging it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I miss the "what a nasty surprise" lyric. And I seem to recall the early version also had a glockenspiel.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

Shall we rank our favourite rankings of Radiohead albums?

I think we should decide which is better: ranking Radiohead albums at the beach, or ranking Radiohead albums at the gym.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress TICKETMASTER!!

Yeah, that was one of the worst experiences. You'd think with their years of bullshit service fees they could afford infrastructure that actually worked.

I had a phone on LTE and a computer connected to a different network that were both seeing different results in the search, and when I did try to snag something, I'd get stuck in an endless loop of "row change" alerts that led nowhere.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

"Blow Out" from the Friday show in Chicago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjyl7vqyw_w

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's amazing live, as are Bloom, and Burn the Witch

I agree on "Bloom" for sure, but I'm just not feeling "Burn the Witch" live. I don't know what it is but it just seems flat.

On the other hand I really like "Ful Stop" live compared to the album.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

meatpath posted:

Well I saw them in 2003 but it was an outdoor arena. I’ve never been to a concert in a sports arena and I hadn’t considered seating vs GA on court level. Sounds like wherever we will be down there will be good, but we still plan on showing up really early.

To possibly add to the confusion, my general admission floor tickets had a row and seat number for some reason. From what I understand, those who arrive super early and line up before the gates open are being assigned a number which is used for accessing the arena. If you're not concerned with being right up at the front, you can arrive whenever you want and then just find a spot on the floor.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

publishko posted:

worth it to hear the whole crowd singing "EEEEEEEEEEEEED"

Loved watching Ed in person and this was certainly a highlight.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

That is arguably a demerit

Probably why they're going out of their way to seem indifferent about it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

2+2=5 into Sit Down Stand Up is seriously one of the best combinations of opening tracks I've ever heard on any album ever

And speaking of, how about favorite track combinations overall?

My vote: "Optimistic" -> "In Limbo" -> "Idioteque"

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Barry posted:

I feel like it should be obvious but I'm trying to figure out who/what PH is in this context and I got nothing. Peter Hook?

Which Radiohead album had the most guitar pop, and what are its initials?

But speaking of Peter Hook, my favorite of Radiohead's cover performances: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cedNya7e8Uc.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

hughesta posted:

around 18 hours of OK Computer session material has leaked online, has crazy poo poo like the 12 minute Paranoid Android and the full band recording of True Love Waits on it

I've never been a huge fan of "True Love Waits" but I really dig the full band version on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Ballz posted:

Disc 15 version of Lift. Holy poo poo. Why on earth did they not release this in 1997? And why in the gently caress did they use some inferior version when they did release it in 2017?!

He didn't source the quote, but some guy on reddit said the reason is because it would have been TOO successful?

quote:

the band said they didn’t release it because they though they had another Creep-success level song