Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Radiohead.com and Dead Air Space are slowly fading into white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
TKOl was always great and I insta-distrust anyone who lists it as a bottom 3 Radiohead album but yeah, it was kind of a bummer to wait four years for 37 minutes.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
AMSP is in the lower half of Radiohead albums for sure if we're talking pure songwriting, I think a lot of what's impressive about it comes from the context of Thom's personal life, really. Releasing TLW, a song not actually about true love waiting but rather the constant anxiety that your lover is going to leave you over the tiniest little thing, after your girlfriend of 23 years has actually left you is a bone-chilling move.

If you don't know the context the album just isn't as ambitious or interesting as their other stuff, maybe barely better than The Bends. And I don't care if it makes me a plebe, I can't stand Godrich's production here.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I do have to agree that this is Donwood's worst artwork yet.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
yes... finally a venue where i can shove my opinion of TKOL>AMSP onto others

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
AMSP is an album that I went from thinking was kind of a snoozer to heartbreaking once I learned what it was actually about.

But either way TKOL is still better.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Jesus Christ make it stop.

Anyways, yes, I fully agree with Volte’s post - I genuinely don’t know how AMSP got to be known as their “orchestral” album. It’s definitely their most melancholy-sounding which makes sense given its subject matter.

I want to emphasize that when I say it’s not as good as TKOL, that’s not to say that AMSP is that bad, it’s to say that TKOL is that good.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
What’s the most underrated Radiohead song because I definitely feel like it’s A Punch-Up At a Wedding

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Anima is phenomenal. I’d go so far as to call it better than some Radiohead albums. Just absolutely stellar.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

The Trent Reznor-produced Saul Williams "Niggy Tardust" album was 100% pay-what-you-want and came out really close to the same time as In Rainbows. But it didn't really do what they hoped, so Reznor was slightly less generous when it was time for him to try it on his own music, haha. Ghosts had 9 free tracks and 27 behind the paywall, although it was still really cheap, like 5 bucks, plus higher tiered options. And probably more significantly, it was licensed under Creative Commons, so for all intents and purposes it was basically free.

Trent had also been talking about doing instant, cheap online distribution for studio music pretty much since 2006 when he was just fully mask off about how much he hated Interscope. Radiohead swooped in and did it before he had a major release to do it with. The Saul Williams album tanked (I chipped in MY fivebux though,) Ghosts did so well he was able to give out The Slip for free, but then he did the score for The Social Network, which he had to release through Columbia because Sony was distributing the movie... turns out he actually just hated Interscope and not record labels in general and spent the entire promotional tour for Hesitation Marks walking back all the cool revolutionary poo poo he did over the previous five years. :negative:

Anyways, if y'all haven't noticed, Meeting People is Easy and The Most Gigantic Lying Mouth of All Time are up for free on the new public library thingy, as well as all three of the really cool In Rainbows live webcasts. Nice of them to include the cassette from OKNOTOK too.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I like TMB better than The Eraser tbh, it’s just such a mood piece. Anima blows them both out of the water though.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’d shell out instantly for an OKNOTOK-style anniversary package but I feel like if they were gonna do something like that they would’ve done it a month ago.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If there’s any album whose artwork deserves to be in an exorbitant and absurdly priced collector’s edition it’s Kid A. Don’t let me down Tchock.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
https://www.tiktok.com/@radiohead/video/6946130420404653317

That’s a verified account...

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
They’ve established a new company named “Spin With a Grin” with all five of them attached, similar to how they did just that with “Dawn Chorus LLC” just before A Moon Shaped Pool’s announcement. https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/13253649/officers

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

Also a 20yr for Amnesiac but NOT Kid A? I don’t see it.

I think they’d do both in the same package.

I’d be very down for a new Kid A reissue, just as much as for a new album, if only for more of Donwood’s art from the era.

Very hard to tell what’s happening here. On one hand, band members have said as recently as a few months ago that none of them have any new music in the pipe, and they did say when OKNOTOK came out that they’d like to do something similar for Kid A/Amnesiac some day. On the other, they never set up an LLC for reissues or solo albums before, and getting the administration of TikTok to push your page alongside that seems like way too big of a media push for just a re-release.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s up for pre-order now. https://kida-mnesia.com

Bit of a shame the fanciest version doesn’t include CD copies like all the previous Radiohead collector’s editions. Oh well.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Thom didn’t go on tour for Tomorrow’s Modern Boxes until Anima was almost out, I think a combination of horrible personal stuff plus Covid plus them being rich enough to not have to record when they don’t want to just has everything mega backed up. Radiohead may become a band that only releases a new album every decade but I prefer that in their old age compared to forcing themselves to keep putting something out every other year and all of it being impossibly boring

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Definitely not as good of a reissue as OKNOTOK but we have a studio version of Like Spinning Plates on piano now and really what more can you ask for.

There has to be a ton of material from that era when they sealed themselves in the studio for like a year, but it was apparently so harrowing for them I get the feeling we won’t hear a lot of it unless another leak on the level of the OKC tapes happens again or when they’re all dead and it comes time to mine the catalogue for posthumous compilations.

Really the most disappointing thing for me is the physical editions, Kid A has what is IMO the greatest liner art of all time and the fact that this release is so threadbare compared to OKNOTOK on that front is a major letdown. I want to see everything Donwood worked on in that period. It really feels like they took all the individual parts that made up the amazing OKNOTOK box and sold them as separate components on the website.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 5, 2021

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The video game is fuckin awesome. Absolutely download it if you get a chance. It’s free!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Volte posted:

The thing that tells me that this isn't just Thom and Jonny's post-Radiohead period is that they didn't put a single Radiohead song into the setlist (unless you dubiously count the few songs that Radiohead soundchecked or performed once). Contrast that with Thom's solo gig he did last month where he did a ton of Radiohead stuff, mixed with some Smile and solo tracks. If this was a "Radiohead is dead and this is what comes next" type of project, I don't think he would treat them as such clearly distinct entities. I can't say for sure that we'll see more Radiohead activity, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Individual band members have said here and there in the past few years, as recently as a few months ago, that they don’t consider Radiohead to be over, they just don’t have anything good for it right now. I’m not worried about the prospect of never getting another Radiohead album, it’s just probably gonna take a long-rear end time - nobody in the band is under any pressure to make music for any reason other than they want to, which also tends to lead to better music, so hey.

That being said if their next album is the last one that wouldn’t surprise me at all, either thematically or just because they’re all in their 50s and are spending 5+ years between albums meaning they’ll logically be retirement age for LP11

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Anima is a better album than Hail to the Thief tbh

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
There’s more tracks I skip on HTTT than any other Radiohead album. I still enjoy it but anyone who puts it over TKOL is insane to me

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
drat I can't believe everyone is crazy except me.

SUNKOS posted:

Kinda bummed the band didn't include the Amnesiac b-sides in Kid Amnesia because there were some great tracks left out (e.g. Amazing Sounds of Orgy. How was that not put on the album at the time?!) while they were obviously aware of them when offering up an iffy alternate take of Fast Track and another version of Fog. Kinda have a soft spot for Transatlantic Drawl being the bombastic brother to National Anthem and still kinda fitting because of the horns and segue into ambience, would have been excited to see an alternate version which was a little less goofy (mainly just remove Thom's sounds at the start).

Tbh the entire Kid A Mnesia thing was a real letdown compared to OKNOTOK that only got saved at the very end by the absolutely incredible game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Lift felt really good as a thematic “epliogue” to AMSP or idk maybe I’m crazy.