Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
http://pitchfork.com/features/article/9890-internet-explorers-the-curious-case-of-radioheads-online-fandom/?mbid=social_twitter

Interesting read. The way they've built up a mythology over the years through the weird stuff they've done with their website kinda blows my mind. Are there any other bands that are this good at cultivating their mystique and getting people to obsess over every little detail? Maybe Boards of Canada, but not quite to the same extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

This does leave a worrying thought in the back of my mind—with this release, Radiohead have tied up all their loose ends, haven't they? There aren't anymore rarely played, semi-mythical unreleased songs except for, like, their cover of Thief.

Isn't it also notable that they've not tested any new songs on this tour?

...kinda feels like they're wrapping up :ohdear:

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
The production is real good, it's just a shame Thom didn't have a better batch of songs up his sleeve at the time.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Saw a load of new posts and thought something interesting had happened but nope, it’s just another round of ‘x album is better than y’. Never change, blessed Radiothread

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
It seems weird to me that there's been no new songs at any post-AMSP gig, not even in soundchecks. Maybe this really is the end :(

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Dawn Chorus is just an instant classic, isn't it? Straight into the top tier of tracks in the Radiohead/Thom canon.

(Although I must say, with any great solo song I can't help thinking 'this would be even better if it had the full Radiohead treatment. Probably unfair, but still...)

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

This makes me feel so old, but despite how much I'm on board with unconventional / electronic / auteur music, I still can't really figure out how anyone will ever make it just as exciting as live instruments in a concert setting. #changemymind

A Flying Lotus gig may change your mind (it did mine)

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah this version is on the Com Lag EP and sounds really good. I had a friend in college with a ridiculously nice, antique baby grand piano jammed into the living room of their tiny house... it had been in their family forever... Fog was the first song I learned to play beginning-to-end that I actually liked (a song I wanted to play, vs a boring classical song I didn't actually want to play)

Why is the original version of Fog so disliked (including, apparently, by Thom)? It's probably my favourite b-side. I guess it's too 'nice'...?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Saw them twice in 2018 in Boston. They didn’t play it night one so I had to go back for night two. Can’t see Radiohead and not sing “Eeeeeeeeddddddd!” I was also pleasantly surprised that there weren’t many repeats in general between the two nights.

In Rainbows is such a great record, very close to perfect from start to finish. I happened to wake up at 3am EST the morning it was released, listened to the whole thing, fell back asleep, and listened again on repeat for most of 2007 and 2008. Weird Fishes ended up hitting me hard the morning after on the bus on the way to class. I was completely swept away and all of a sudden I was holding back tears.

That album was such a magical time for me. I got into the band – and music generally I guess – around the time they started the Dead Air Space blog. Following along to the gestation of that album as I explored the back catalogue and all their named influences was so much fun, and then hearing the finished record for the first time was one of the most intense musical experiences I've ever had. I don't think anything comes close emotionally to hearing that initial burst of strings and vocals on Nude after hearing so many different versions of that song.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

SUNKOS posted:

Would love to know why 'Cut a Smile' didn't make the album when given the themes it seems perfect, both lyrically and musically, especially when the track listing would have it precede 'Glass Eyes' and 'True Love Waits'.

This reminds me: have the band ever been asked how the tracklisting ended up being exactly in alphabetical order, or is that just a really weird coincidence?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Cool, excited for this.

Still seems like such a weird dynamic though. It's one thing for one member to do a solo project, but for the two principal songwriters to tell the other three 'we're making something without you' is a whole other level. I'm so glad the band can do this kind of thing though.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Down is the New Up feels like it should slot into the Classics tier of Radiohead songs (or maybe just below), but it seems to mostly get overlooked.

Big fan of the production choices on Up On the Ladder too. You can tell they'd been having cracks at that for a while, it's got echoes of both Kid Amnesiac and HTTT.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

Weirdest one was when he contributed that song to the Twilight soundtrack

(it was a pretty good song too!)

It's an incredible song. Would be a god-tier RH track if it'd been given the full-band treatment, imo

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

SUNKOS posted:

Also maybe in the minority here but it's hard to not think of this as a new Radiohead album. I know it's a side project and I'm sure some songs would have turned out differently with the other members involved but it still sounds like the full band together, it's difficult to think of as a standalone side project compared to Atoms For Peace which did sound very distinct but this has so many elements of different Radiohead works scattered throughout that it does feel like a new record from them.

I'm really interested in this dynamic too. Has much been confirmed about how this came about? It's a very weird situation, with both primary songwriters involved in a side project, it feels a lot more 'Radiohead without some original members' than any other solo record, or any examples I can think of from other bands, for that matter. I wonder how the rest of the band feel about it...

I think I may have read somewhere that it's a bit of a Jonny solo project that got out of hand - is that accurate? I can see how that's the case, and how this band could form organically without the rest of Radiohead being marginalised –if you need some vocals for something and have Thom Yorke on speed dial, you're probably gonna make use of it...

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I remember listening to a fan interview(?) once where they basically just sat down with Ed and rattled through those blackboard lists to find out what those songs were, which was kinda fascinating (if a little awkward, as Ed was clearly blindsided by the line of questioning and grew weary of it towards the end, iirc)

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Any long lost Radiohead demos in that? I’m not as up on my Thom song lore as I used to be

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
The post-TKOL period of singles is really underrated. I've probably listened to Staircase more than any other RH track the past few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Agree that National Anthem is lacking without the brass, but I do enjoy the whole transistor radio thing. I think I read Jonny tunes it in during sound check to try and find something useful, but there must be examples of it picking up something unintentionally hilarious