Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

This version of True Love Waits is just absolutely heartstopping. Radiohead has always had arresting final tracks and this might just be the best one yet. I had it on while cleaning to let the songs absorb, and when it TLW I had to just sit down and listen.

As far as cohesive, thematic albums, this is the best one since Kid A. I'm goddamn floored.
edit: if any album existed as a sum totalling of their career so far, this is it. I'm hearing bits and pieces of each era on this album.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

From my (admittedly sole) listening so far, this is might be Radiohead's most head-phone-y album yet. There're a lot of tracks where they leave the centre channel relatively empty for a lot of the run time, but there's some really cool stuff going on hard left and right in the background.

While I'm unsure about some of the tracks as songs in themselves, the production on this thing is an absolute treat.

If nothing else, this is the best production job Godrich has ever done. It sounds otherworldy and surreal, but unlike Kid A, it actually sounds like humans are playing the instruments. Get some audiophile quality headphones with a good soundstage, and immerse yourself. It's unbelievable. Tiny details like how Thom's voice creaks on True Love Waits sounds so raw and real.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

BigFactory posted:

What's your headphone recommendation?

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 515's that I love dearly. Unfortunately they've discontinued that exact model, but the updated version looks pretty similar. They have amazing sound, you can hear literally everything in the mix, right down to studio noise (which, unfortunately, made me notice how badly produced some modern music is. I used to like you Songs for the Deaf :( ), and they fit really comfortably on your head.

They are open-air, so there is no noise-cancellation, and they leak a lot of sound, but as far as home listening goes they can't be beat.

Other then that, I have trialed a pair of Grados that sound just as good if not a bit better, but as far as bang for your buck, I love Sennheiser.

edit: also, headphone geeks will claim these aren't "audiophile" quality. don't listen to them. trust me.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 9, 2016

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

BigFactory posted:

I was expecting something fancy! You let me down. Are you at least conditioning your power?

They're very fancy :(

The only thing I condition is my luscious hair.

edit: I too am bummed this new Radiohead album is not suitable for ragers anymore, unlike the rest of their albums :v:

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 9, 2016

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Decades posted:

E: Oh also, the best part of early rushed album reviews are the misheard lyrics. The Independent went with "Low Fi Banker Tax"

why do they even bother reviewing it?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Thom posing with Ed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Tinker Tailor wasn't working for me at first, but 10 plays in I'm really loving it. Reminds me of a spookier Gorillaz.