Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Vintersorg posted:

Began digging into Radiohead again and it just feels so GOOD. Brings me back. :)

Is Hail to the Thief considered to be underrated? Personally, at the time, I didn't like it but after the years ive learned to love it. Especially the one two punch of Scatterbrain and then A Wolf at the Door - which is probably in some weird list near the top of my most favorite Radiohead song ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg4q_ZUiTNA

It's weird, because In Rainbows might be in the top five of my favorite albums of all time, but Hail to the Thief is my favorite Radiohead album of all time. It's difficult to explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

That video is honestly one of the better depictions of depression I've ever seen - You're in all these diverse places, from grimey to calmly peaceful, you're on the beach, you're in the mountains... and you keep wandering because you don't feel like you fit in, no matter where it is, no matter how picturesque or cozy.

As for the song itself, sounds like something stuck on the end of Motion Picture Soundtrack. Not totally my thing, but it has more substance than, say, Feral had, so it won't be dead weight and maybe it'll grow on me.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

BigFactory posted:

Hunting bears is a good rear end song.

Every time I hear Hunting Bears, I feel like I'm watching the last ten minutes of Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man. Great feeling.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Treefingers is cool because of the stupid conspiracy theory I read once about Kid A predicting 9/11, and Treefingers works pretty well for that in the wake of How to Disappear Completely. And the album has plenty of atmospherics anyway.

Feral on a regular length Radiohead album would be fine, but for such a short tracklist as is, I just feel like, "Wait, that's loving it?"

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

olin posted:

I've never really understood Radiohead's extreme popularity. I mean they're incredible and amazing and consistently innovative but all the other bands I'd describe with those adjectives, like Liars for example, have no real acceptance by the masses.

It's just weird to me that my favourite band is one of the most famous in the world when every other band I like receives no attention at all. How does Radiohead manage to release such good music and not have everyone consider it crap?

edited: to link a loving masterpiece that only has 9,668 views on youtube. I really don't understand it.

I mean, Liars gets alt cred, I'm pretty sure, which is what Radiohead would be getting if they hadn't started out as an alt pop band.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Thom's hatred of Spotify is pretty well-known.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

Is there somewhere I can purchase the digital version in US dollars

I ordered it from the US on their site and it cleared my payment, so I assume it's not going to quibble at the currency exchange.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

ZoDiAC_ posted:

I believe you will need to whack any WAVs you purchase through iTunes, my man, but AAC format is fine.

It comes down to $$$ vs desire as ever

Is it $19 in the States then?

$18.91, to be precise.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

Gave it a few listens today and it's not doing much for me, unfortunately. It's very pretty and ethereal, but outside of a few tracks it's not really feeling anything more than "well that was nice". I think it's just too mellow for me; I was disappointed that Burn the Witch was the "punchiest" track on here and even that song feels awkwardly tacked on to the beginning of the record.

I'm a little bit in the same camp, though I do like Tinker Tailor. It's very spacy and pretty, but I was hoping there would be a bit more of that tenseness from Burn the Witch, when most of the album sounds like Daydreaming.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not going to lie and say that I listen to every single Hail to the Thief song (though it's Scatterbrain and Wolf at the Door that I do skip, which people love, while stuff people dismiss like Backdrifts, I really adore), and that might be what keeps it from being one of my favorite "albums" like In Rainbow was, but Hail to the Thief is definitely my favorite Radiohead album. It's so creepy and yet whimsical in its own strange way, with all the fairy tale allusions, and I'd listen to it regularly walking through wild forests because it captures the paranoia that goes with it so well. Really a fantastic album for me.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel about it, even though it's not my favourite. Also Scatterbrain and Wolf are amazing.

I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't absolutely raved about Scatterbrain and Wolf at the Door, while I would've been fine with the album ending with Myxomatosis, but I figure I'm the only one who feels that way. That's okay. We can all agree that There There is amazing, so it's all good.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

The beginning of Present Tense is stuck in my head because it sounds like sashaying onto a Spanish beach.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

kalensc posted:

In Rainbows contends for best Radiohead album for me, but I've never ever understood the love for House of Cards. There needed to be a "breather" between Reckoner and Jigsaw for sure so it's a fine track within the album, but I do not get the praise people give it as a stand-alone song.

Can someone who really likes the song share why they dig it so much? I'd be curious to listen to it again with a different perspective on it.

When it first came out, I saw reviews praising it as a love song and saying that was all part of the softer, warmer Radiohead, but, uh, I don't know how they get that from that chorus.

In terms of energy, it goes into Jigsaw pretty well, from quiet arrangement to something more twitchy.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Xanderkish posted:

Testament to the variety in Radiohead opinions that someone can think of Fitter Happier and Electioneering as weak.

Electioneering is my favorite song off the album.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

I quite liked Hail to the Thief, though. I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard Backdrifts mentioned more often when people discuss songs, that's a hell of a track, definitely the biggest stand-out on first listen.

Backdrift owns, Hail to the Thief owns, aaaaaa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I never really thought of the Eraser as grim. Maybe occasionally spooky, but mostly, it sounded very futuristic, the same way Ultaista would later. It fit the time more. I'm not sure if Radiohead quite does it for me these days, there's little prettiness in the world, but maybe I should just listen to The Gloaming a lot to truly get into a proper frame of mind for the current moment.