Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Ful Stop, and Indentikit were both excellent, I hope if we get album versions they haven't messed them up too much. I'm honestly excited, TKOL had some real great moments even if it wasn't ultimately on the same level as their best years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

triple sulk posted:

TKOL is just like Amnesiac in that every single track that was played in a live form manages to be better than the studio version, except that Amnesiac is the far, far better studio album.

Packt like Sardines from the 2001 tour was worse than the album version, the fuzz bass didn't work as well. They dropped that from set lists pretty quick

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Man that is a limited tour. Guess I gotta figure out how to get to New York in July...

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Got in the presale queue at 5 seconds after open, not good enough. Had pit tickets in Boston last time so I can't really justify complaining that hard, but still a bit disappointed. Here's hoping for some nosebleeds on friday.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
death to scalpers.

but I did it, I got the world's shittiest madison square garden seats.

to contribute, here's a classic live performance from Radiohead in their prime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0si0fB0lnow

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
sometimes it is painful being a fan of this band. Something like a two paragraph update on progress with the album would be nice at least once or twice! They did all those neat little updates and clips during the In Rainbows recording sessions, I miss that.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

I originally thought I didn't like TKOL but I think my initial impression is that it didn't hit me like previous Radiohead albums. To be fair, the first "new" Radiohead album for me was In Rainbows. I'd been listening to all the previous albums up to that point, and In Rainbows was fantastic. But the other day I threw on Little by Little and it just clicked. Very excited for the new album.

Favorite b-sides? I'm a huge fan of Polyethylene, and most of the My Iron Lung B-Sides.

It's interesting because everything but Little by Little really grew on me, something about the hook irritates me.

All of In Rainbows Side 2 is really good for b-sides. A lot of their b-sides are good. Like Gagging Order. Even some of the Pablo Honey b-sides are inexplicably better than the actual album.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Just a cool guy note that re-listening to I Might Be Wrong live album on spotify is a healthy reminder that the Kid A / Amnesiac era live interpretations are unbelievably high quality and they did The Right Thing by not including OK Computer/Bends stuff on that album (True Love Waits kind of excepted, but it's a wonderful coda so who cares).

I do hope they consider dropping Everything In It's Right Place in this run of shows though. Awesome song but not as fun live as some of the other stuff.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
i want to go to bed but now there might be new radiohead

gently caress is it happening or not

i want to be confused and mildly disappointed by the next style change and then slowly grow to really love it god dammit

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Wow I actually really liked that song right away, a lot of energy.

V excited for the rest

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Popcorn posted:

I like the song, but there's something missing. The second verse has some rather weak lines, I think - "red crosses on wooden doors / if you float you burn / loose talk around tables / abandon all reason". They feel disconnected and groundless, melodically, rhythmically... they feel like placeholders.

that section might be my favorite actually, that's when the strings get all pretty for a minute.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Wow that was also super good.

I am on board with this new direction. And a new album in two days, gently caress yeah

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Hoping for a string section on this tour now. July can't come quick enough.

Daydreaming is really remarkable

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHFyfA2Dtfg

actually treefingers seems pretty cool live (for four minutes) but the crowds can't seem to handle the quiet

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Popcorn posted:

People are saying the name and track list have leaked via Amazon or something. I hope it's fake because if it's real then Radiohead have given their new album the shittest name ever.

Well regarding album names:

Hail to the Thief was awkward and on the nose politically.
People I knew IRL snickered when In Rainbows was announced
The King of Limbs is frankly still a terrible name

Album naming has not been their strong point for some time.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Eggnogium posted:

I had no idea so many people were disappointed by In Rainbows.

I loved that album when it came out and still love it beginning to end, Bodysnatchers being the only weaker song.

Still haven't gotten time to myself to listen to the new album yet...seems promising based on feedback

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Finally got home.

I really loved it. I think Identikit is the only one that threw me, just because I'm so used to the early live version (a classic radiohead problem). The intro to the song took a little while getting started, and yeah, the disco bridge caught me off guard. I'll have to see if it grows on me.

I think I honestly loved every other song, and am listening to it again now. That hasn't happened to me in a while. It's really inspiring that so many years into their career they can make an album like this.

edit: Also unlike Identikit, and previously Videotape, I'm immediately taken with the new official version of True Love Waits. It is completely stunning.

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 9, 2016

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

turnip kid posted:

I've been extremely indifferent to Radiohead since 2003, when Hail to the Thief landed with a resounding thud with me, so this is an extremely pleasant surprise. I love the album and am now trying to make amends with the band and give HTTT-King of Limbs another shot.

It's interesting because I remember when In Rainbows came out I was still pretty lukewarm on HttT, and so IR really renerergized me on the band. Consequently (also due to a great live show in 2008) I started to appreciate HttT a lot more. It and TKOL are near the bottom of the tier list for me overall, for different reasons, but both also have some of my favorite songs ever on them. Definitely worth revisiting.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Well Identikit clicked for me today.

I keep trying to list my personal highlights and can't figure out what to leave off the list.

I guess if I had any complaints now I wish there was a 12th barnstormer track somewhere in the middle with the energy level of Burn the Witch, but I wouldn't change anything about the songs that exist. Very very happy with this one.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
2+2=5, Where I End and You Begin, and There There are also some of the best rockers they ever wrote.

Also Go to Sleep is both super catchy and completely hilarious lyrically.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Ballz posted:

The King of Limbs is a Colin and Phil tour de force and I loving love it.

Real talk TKOL is flawed but Bloom alone was worth the price of admission, even the first time, because of that rhythm section.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
I'm annoyed with myself on how much it pleased me to see that number on pitchfork. The review itself is pitchfork.txt but also interesting. I hope thom yorke has stuck to his guns over the years about not reading reviews though because boy howdy are people making hay out of his breakup.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
"Meanwhile, Jonny Greenwood’s brittle modernist string arrangement reinforces the angst, turning the orchestra into a giant pair of gnashing teeth. It’s a vintage splash of Radiohead stomach acid, a cloud of gnats unleashed in your cranial nerves."

Nothing will ever match the insane manic episode of their Kid A review though.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Popcorn posted:

I think it's overstuffed, too long, too busy. Not a mistake I thought they'd make again.

I disagree with but understand most of your previous points but this one. 11 tracks of satisfying length, the total time about the same as OK Computer, were much appreciated this run following a short album that could have used some more meat.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
We're going to have to seriously agree to disagree on that one.

Come on TKOL felt like a hairs breadth away from an EP when it came out and somehow some of its songs still ran too long

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Popcorn posted:

I'm with Beanpole. OK Computer owns, but it's a touch too long. Whereas I really value how concise and boxed-in TKOL is - it's a fizzing knot of energy. To me it's more important how much sense a bunch of songs make together than it is how long the running time adds up to.

Part of the reason I think AMSP feels too long to me is the sameness of the arrangements, and the way the edges blur together, like I said. By the end of it, I've had enough, and am in no mood to sit through True Love Waits.

I agree wholeheartedly that there isn't some "ideal" length, cohesiveness is much more important. TKOL left me a bit cold partly because the two halves didn't seem to go together so it felt like a short mix of ideas, tied together initially by skittering rhythm until the slow songs drop the bottom out. (also because I'm in the minority and think Little by Little is boring and drops the momentum that the first two songs built up.) Codex is a pretty song but as someone else stated it's very much a standard Radiohead piano ballad and it brings the album to a screeching halt. I felt like a couple more songs fleshing the ideas out, maybe trimming the existing songs just a bit, and maybe dropping Codex to b-side status, would have helped the flow and turned it from a still very good album into a great one. Neither Supercollider, nor staircase/daily mail really fit in to the feel of the album though, and the Butcher is a bit half-baked, so they probably just ran out of ideas with that particular songwriting method they were using at the time.

Maybe the fact that Give up the Ghost is my second favorite track next to Bloom on TKOL informs my opinion more than this probably shoddy attempt at semi-objective reasoning though. I liked Radiohead dreamy and melodic best even prior to the album release, so I was already primed for the direction they ended up taking, and am actually left wanting just a bit more from this latest one. As you stated, you're more into the rhythm based pieces, and AMSP certainly has much less of that.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Happy to split the difference and cut both songs. No Surprises is a better ending by far.

Uh oh, nevermind, it would just be a lowly "EP" by that point. :silent:

This opinion is objectively wrong though. I'll fight you. I can't imagine that album without the Tourist closing it out.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/05/ranking-every-radiohead-song-from-worst-to-best/

tired of ranking albums? let's rank every loving song including b-sides motherfucker

A list that ranks Thinking About You over Dollars and Cents, a shameful list

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Earwicker posted:

wow its almost like music appreciation is a highly subjective, personal experience

I don't really understand why people think they are being funny or clever or whatever when they start telling other people that they are "objectively wrong" about preferring this or that song or this or that album and in general being a dick about their opinion. It is, in fact, possible for people to communicate their musical preferences without being assholes about it.

That particular phrase came right after a "Everything I just said is very subjective to my tastes," comment. Sorry if it made you uncomfortable, I thought the implied joke was pretty clear. I certainly understand getting frustrated by people being dicks on the internet about entertainment, I avoid most discussions on video games these days for similar reasons because that aspect gets tiresome.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

SgtScruffy posted:

I've always loved the hell out of Engineering - but the band things it's something like "guitar jerk off" or something like so I think a lot of people agree.

I can't source it but I think I remember reading Jonny in particular really hated the song, stating that he couldn't listen to the album because of it.

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 14, 2016

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Popcorn posted:

This is one of those things like "Ed wrote Street Spirit" that fans say from time to time but never, in all my years of nerd fandom, have I ever found evidence of.

Yes I think I read it back when Green Plastic Radiohead was still an active website and it was filled with that sort of thing. I think the only songs that one can easily claim the band didn't like at some point in time were Creep for a while and High and Dry.

It is a shame they haven't really played Electioneering since the OK Computer tour. That pink pop version was terrific.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

They've really coordinated their poo poo this year. Album release with first live show after less than two weeks, two music videos and a third probably coming now.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
decks dark sounds loving awesome

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
last TV IV style post promise but the live version of identikit is straight up baller

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
It's been a while since I listened to a TKOL live version, but there's certainly a larger emphasis on the guitars, longer buildup like the album, they maintain the disco vocals during the bridge, and there's the new guitar solo to end it.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BVDdzOhw9VM

Glass eyes finally done live. I've never heard a crowd so quiet during a song, you can hear the iPhone picture click sounds go off.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

Anyone else find themselves starting listening to the album from Decks Dark?

I still don't skip any songs on the album when I listen to it in full (though the first minute of tinker tailor tempts me) but I have gone to Decks Dark for more one off plays than any of the other tracks.

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 30, 2016

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yes. Perfectly worded! There's an air of claustrophobia in the first two songs, BTW particularly.

That's why I like the transition from Daydreaming to Decks Dark though! There's that dark rolling intensity at the end of the first song, and the slow fade, and then suddenly you surface into that airiness and warmth, it's a terrific moment.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Getting in before this is forbidden

Kid A
Ok Computer
A Moon Shaped Pool
In Rainbows (this and AMSP swap a lot)
Amnesiac
The King of Limbs
The Bends
Hail to the Thief
Pablo Honey

It's me I'm the most boring

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
I know we're a long way out from the OK Computer misery period but it still makes me happy that they seem to enjoy touring so much now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
I assumed he was having a laugh but maybe not?

It's been 18 years since that documentary might be long enough to actuality forget things like that I guess.