Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I like Tomorrow's Modern Boxes :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I've had the fortune of seeing AFP live and it was loving great. A lot smaller of a venue and far more energy than at a Radiohead show, probably as a result of Flea being on stage.

Lid posted:

I didnt care for TKOL for a long time, it reminded me a lot of Stars of the Lid but worse. Seeing it performed live however gave it some heart it was lacking and showed that especially Bloom is great... it's still not in the discussion for their best album though.

TKOL is just like Amnesiac in that every single track that was played in a live form manages to be better than the studio version, except that Amnesiac is the far, far better studio album.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Is the new album out yet so I can critique it and possibly be disappointed

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Decks Dark is better than anything on TKoL

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Oh my lord, Glass Eyes

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

This is the sequel to Amnesiac that I always wanted

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

HorseRenoir posted:

There's a transition in between Decks Dark and Desert Island Disk. It's the real tracklist

Was gonna post this but was just lazy, but yeah can confirm

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Numbers is real good.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Present Tense and its backing vocals. Jesus Christ

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It's now on iTunes FWIW and everything's the same

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Verdict: It's Good

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ZoDiAC_ posted:

A MOON SHAPED POOL
Special Edition
SPECIAL EDITION
£60.00
Price includes shipping (oh thanks)

-----------

Case bound album, inspired by the albums for 78rpm shellac records in the library of La Fabrique, France
32 pages of artwork
The 11 track album on two heavyweight 12" vinyl records
Two compact discs: one with the album and one with two extra tracks
Recording tape belly band applied *
320kbit MP3 or 16-bit WAV of the 11 track album available to download immediately
* This is a piece of a Radiohead ½ inch master tape from an actual recording session.
The tape degrades over time and becomes unplayable. We thought rather than it ending up as landfill we would cut it up and make it useful as a part of the special edition. A new life for some obsolete technology...
Each loop contains about ¾ of a second of audio - which could be from any era in the band's recording past going back to Kid A. You may have silence, you may have coloured leader tape, you may have a chorus... It's a crapshoot.

We have copies. Don't worry.

Digital file sizes:
320kbit MP3 120MB
16-bit WAV 515MB

uhhh link?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I found it through their Twitter. Purchased.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This is so much better than the king of limbs it's not even funny

Yes

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

This album is loving gorgeous.

Yes

Batcat! Batcat! posted:

Yeah. To think this you must not have earballs installed. You'd have to go to Pablo Honey for a Radiohead album that sounds less like this.

It sounds like Amnesiac in a number of ways

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I can't get over how loving good the choir on Present Tense is

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Present Tense might be the best song on the album

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

PRESENT TENSE IS SO loving GOOD

It cannot be said enough

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ICHIBAHN posted:

HTTT is decent but their worst of the post 2000s I think. Though those songs your mentioned are probably the worst in the record. Bizarre choices. That's on you though.

TKOL is their worst post-2000 (and honestly, worst outright) for me because it's a "good" album in that the songs were much better represented live (similar to how Amnesiac songs are all better live) except the studio versions lacked the depth and energy that the live performances bring. That said, AMSP owns and is Album of the Year material except for the fact that Blackstar exists. Long term I don't know where it'll sit in my personal rankings, but if it isn't their most cohesive album outright, it's really loving close to being it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Seriously, who the hell doesn't like Knives Out

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

A couple lines of Thom's vocals for Decks Dark reminds me of Massive Attack's Teardrop

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Also the beginning of it is Maps by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Popcorn posted:

So much lovelier than the actual art.

I really like the actual art.

If AMSP gets its Amnesiac almost immediately, I'm gonna lose my poo poo

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Louisgod posted:

Cuttooth is spectacular.

:yeah:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ICHIBAHN posted:

Anyone else find themselves starting listening to the album from Decks Dark?

Actually I do this just about every time for some reason. I don't know if it's because of

robodex posted:

I tend to skip the first two tracks because I listened to them roughly a million times in the week before the album came out

but in a way I think the album is somehow even better when you get rid of the first two tracks even though those tracks themselves are good.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Studio:
Kid A
Amnesiac
A Moon Shaped Pool
Hail to the Thief
OK Computer
In Rainbows
The Bends
Pablo Honey
The King of Limbs

Live:
Amnesiac
Kid A
Hail to the Thief
The King of Limbs
OK Computer
In Rainbows
The Bends
Pablo Honey

(A Moon Shaped Pool TBD)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

AMSP is much better than TKOL, but TKOL's live renditions are great, much like how the already great Amnesiac studio tracks are even better when performed live.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Thom's ex apparently just passed away from cancer.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Good Album

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I got most of the way through the first track of Kendrick's new album and turned it off

It'd be funny (?) if this somehow won album of the year (it won't) after the previous Radiohead snubs

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It's a very good album that probably won't win many awards but that's okay.

I initially regarded AMSP really well but it fell off for me over the last few years since its release. It's a great album but it's something you have to be in a mood for with how slow it generally is. I wouldn't say this album is AMSP 2 either but there are elements that feel more in line with it than anything else. Fortunately it's slightly more upbeat in places to keep it from dragging too much.

Martman posted:

edit: oh yeah not just AMSP, A Hairdryer sounds very much like a re-imagining of Morning Mr Magpie. Still loving it overall

I'm playing it again right now and I can see it. It's probably the backing guitar line doing it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Album leaked since some copies went out at events. Personally, I think Friend of a Friend is the best track on the whole thing by a wide margin. Need more listens to make a real judgement on whether it's better than their first.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Framboise posted:

Yeah I'm really not in love with this one. ALFAA was better but still just doesn't captivate me like the stuff that comes from the whole Radiohead team.

Maybe I'm just not in the right headspace for it but this was a really sleepy album. Might like it more if I was inebriated or something lol.

Bending Hectic was the star of the show though. What a pretty song.

I'll have to come back to this one sometime. I didn't like AMSP at ALL when I first heard it, but then I listened to it at a different time in my life and it's my all time favorite album now. So who knows!

I went in the opposite direction with AMSP. At release I had it in my top four-ish which is saying a lot, but after almost eight years I'd probably put it near the bottom. I've not given a full listen to it or TKOL in several years or more at this point. I don't think it's helped that I've kind of burned myself out from listening to them all so much.

My first reaction was that ALFAA is better and I might still stand by that when I look at it as a whole. I think that there are at least a couple really fantastic tracks on Wall of Eyes, but ALFAA was just a bit more fun and felt a little more cohesive stylistically. That said, I think both Smile albums are probably well down the tier list of all Radiohead and Thom projects combined. It's all still good music, don't get me wrong, but it could just be the general sound that I'm worn out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It's hard to explain why, but AMSP just doesn't really do it for me any more. Again, it's all good music, but I'd rather spin Amnesiac or HTTT if I'm going to play an album of theirs. I'm also the person for whom Amok would probably rank in the top 5-6ish of all RH/Thom side projects though, so take my opinion strictly for what it is. That album kicked amazing amounts of rear end live, and the tickets I bought resale to one of the AfP shows were $13 each for relatively good seats.