Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I remember The Eraser being pitched as like Thom just loving around on his laptop and hey here's an album, which really helped its appeal to me. Tomorrow's Modern Boxes felt a lot weaker to me, I think just because it's more just like a sonic landscape, less like a bunch of individually cohesive songs.

Also every now and again I remember Atoms for Peace. I would be so happy if they just randomly dropped another album. Such a great, weird little side project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Wow, I suddenly realized how long it's actually been since AMSP...

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

HD DAD posted:

The bonus disc will just be 14 versions of Fog, and I’ll be happy with it dammit.

Yaaaas. Thom plz.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Did you guys know lateralus is a fibonacci sequence

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Amnesiac is basically b-sides to the Kid A sessions, yeah. In that sense they're already companion works. I assume it'll just be OKNOTOK but with the two of them jammed together. Pretty cool though.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Pontificating rear end posted:

The guys posted this on their newish TikTok account in reference to the already-dwindling video views. Pretty funny, although they removed it from there for some reason, was upto a million views or so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAdLE4_bOf0

That is legit loving hilarious.

I've never seen Thom be that loose, he's really funny.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I'm like 15 seconds into "If You Say The Word" and I love it ughhhhhh

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Hedrigall posted:

The Radio Heads finally started taking their anxiety meds and are just making some chill tunes together as middle aged dads , I’m happy for them

Yeah I kinda get this. All the bands I liked starting from my teen years either mellowed out, broke up, or saw their quality tank because they kept trying to recapture the emotional energy of their old stuff. It just feels fake after a while.

AMSP isn't terribly angsty but it's absolutely earnest about what it is, and I think that's why it works for me so well.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Every time Bond movies are in the news I remember how they picked that lovely Sam Smith song over Radiohead for Spectre and I'm still fairly annoyed about it!

The saving grace is that Spectre was a real poo poo movie too aside from the theme song.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

nurmie posted:

what sits wrong with me is assigning intent to the artist (which iirc the original theory kinda sorta did) and trying to fit everything into a framework based on that assigned intent. that just feels like, i dunno, doing necromancy on the author or something

Yeah it sort of seems like fan fiction. Which is fine, whatever. But fan fiction is fan fiction, it's not necessarily the artist's intent. Believing it's 100% true is the same poo poo conspiracy nuts do, just stringing together coincidences.

But yeah it's not really the band's style in general. Thom has made comments about his creative process being fairly stream of consciousness anyways iirc. They're pretty meticulous about album composition but I think you can't read too deeply into it beyond them really wanting to create a strong piece of art.

(Which imo it all is and stands on its own without creating some sort of Radiohead Expanded Universe out of it. And it's fine if you want to do it, but again, it's fan fiction.)

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

The side stuff is summarized pretty well in the format of a "mom I want Radiohead" /"we have Radiohead at home" meme

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Rageaholic posted:

Apparently Guardians of the Galaxy 3 begins with the acoustic version of Creep and they just uploaded it to the official Radiohead YouTube channel a few days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BX5xpB2DBM

That feels weird, especially since they've tried to distance themselves from that song, right? Oh well, get that paper I suppose lol

This totally was used in a flash music video on newgrounds ca 2005. It triggered a very specific nostalgia region for me.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

BRING BACK NEWGROUNDS YOU COWARDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I think AMSP is just too loaded emotionally. It's kinda draining. There are movies I've loved that are the same way. I can't just watch them at the drop of a hat, it feels more like an investment. That's the difference between AMSP and the older albums for me.