Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Radiohead had good opening acts when I saw them. I think one time it was Steve Malkmus, and the other time is was kid koala and beta band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/music/concert-review-radiohead-unremarkably-good-at-keyarena/

That might be one of the most poorly written concert reviews ive ever read.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
So if you have the airbag and no surprises ep's you have most of those songs already, right?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

AARO posted:

How in the gently caress am I going to make it until June 23rd? :negative:

Haven't you heard all those songs already?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

AARO posted:

Not studio versions of I promise, Big Boots and Lift.

What the hell is your reason for making GBS threads on my excitement?

Radiohead has been my favorite band since 1995. I had mixed tapes with the unreleased songs live when I was a little kid. Now I'm finally going to be able to hear the studio versions.

There are studio versions of those on towering above the rest, though? Just seems like you were being a little dramatic for a 20th anniversary re-issue with 3 previously unreleased songs. I'm underwhelmed myself.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Princeps32 posted:

The towering above the rest versions are absolutely not studio recordings.

Really? My wallet is so loving upset with me right now.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Ah, the elusive 2-poster double post.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Ok computer had great b sides though. Pearly, bishops robes, Palo alto

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What song from the bends is it on? Cause I know it's on the no surprises single.

Edit: it's street spirit.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 25, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The Air that I breathe came on the radio yesterday and Radiohead got sued because creep plagiarized it, but it reminded me of a more recent Radiohead song too. I can't place it though, any help?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It's a better song than creep.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I never understood why nobody likes Pablo Honey. It's got a bunch of good little songs on it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I always think it's interesting to see people rank their favorite radiohead albums. It's something that's not done very often.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Princeps32 posted:

You and Blow Out are legit good non-Creep songs off of Pablo Honey. The album as a whole is real corny though.

Lurgee and Anyone can play guitar are fine. They're good rock songs.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

2+2=5 followed by Sit Down Stand Up remains one of the best 2-song album openers I have ever heard. No joke.

I guess in a world where Lay your Hands on Me and Bad Medicine never existed...

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think I’m a lot of ways New Jersey is Bon Jovi’s Amnesiac. It takes you on a crazy little journey to a place you’ve never been before.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
One of my favorite concert memories is seeing Radiohead after amnesiac came out at Suffolk downs in east Boston. It’s a really lovely racetrack now, it might be closed actually, but it was still pretty lovely back then. The stage was set up at the far end of the oval, so when they opened the gates all the kids who had been waiting all day to get front row in the pit had to race down the track that the horses run on. Fat kids and people with bad footwear definitely got beat. Show was good too. The kid a tour was basically non existent so nobody had seen stuff like idioteque live before unless you went to one of the tiny shows in NYC or LA.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

meatpath posted:

Anyone going to Boston? It's a general admission show and I'm curious how early we should get to TD Garden to get a decent seat on Sunday night.

What’s decent? Do you want to be in the pit or do you want a good folding chair back from the pit. You’re not going to be able to sit on the floor and see.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

meatpath posted:

I would like to be in the pit, but I'm also a little concerned about my gf as she is barely 5'.

If you want to be front row id get there idk after lunch?

Only the floor is GA. The rest is assigned seats.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It is different than it used to be

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Thom and the Heads posted:

i mean...these are arena shows we're talking here. it's the same as if youre going to a hockey game or anything in an arena

It’s still different than it was a few years ago. The bombing in Manchester and the shooting in Vegas have changed things. Insurance companies are driving it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I thought it was boring and not as interesting as the eraser. I think I listened to it once and shelved it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
“I Can’t”-> “Lurgee” ->“Blow Out”

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HD DAD posted:

You are probably being ironic, but I legit have a soft spot for those three songs. PH bangs if you’re in the right mood

I’m not at all. Lurgee is one of my favorite Radiohead songs. If I was being ironic I’d try to get faithless the wonderboy or killer cars in there.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 17, 2019

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Not much to talk about here is there.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This is the Radiothread, son, we don't talk about poo poo we just bag on others and rank albums.

Can a make a list of bands someone might like if they like certain Radiohead albums?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Anyone can play guitar. Or Palo Alto.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HD DAD posted:

There’s very few ‘electronic’ acts that have pulled off an exciting, purely synth live show. Depeche Mode comes to mind, but even they started throwing in live instruments in the early 90s. Pet Shop Boys rely on theatrics and dancers.

Then again, maybe I’m just old too and hovering over a laptop is cool now. Not knocking Thom and company, mind you.

Aren’t some of the biggest live acts in the world DJs? It’s ok if that’s not your thing but there are plenty of people who think an edm set is very exciting.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Get Free is the best song they have a writing credit on.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Volte posted:

The writing credits were never changed so presumably Lana won that battle.

Good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Original run Kid A cd with the hidden booklet was the best version. Kid A special edition was lame.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Framboise posted:

I didn't get in on the super fancy OKNOTOK special edition but I do have the one with blue vinyl.

Meanwhile, my girlfriend got me the A Moon Shaped Pool special edition for my birthday this year and I love it and wish I knew what snippet my tape band was.

I'd jump on a Kid A one.

The kid a special edition that was released in 2000 was just awkwardly sized so it probably won’t fit in your cd shelf (a problem they repeated with httt kinda and in rainbows special ed. definitely) and it has different artwork that’s not any better than the regular issue, just different. I don’t really like it as much tbh.

The normal first cd pressing had a glossy black tray with a really cool comic book style booklet hidden underneath with translucent paper and fun pictures.

Amnesiac special edition was great though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I grabbed some high quality flacs of In Rainbows to replace whatever quality MP3s I downloaded in 2007 and listened to the whole thing on some really good headphones. Heard a synth part on Videotape for the first time after hundreds (thousands?) of listens. Pretty neat

I use in rainbows a lot if I’m testing out/moving around speakers or whatever. It’s a really well produced and mastered record.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Amnesiac is the better album.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder what kind of material they have for a box set? Demos would be cool but between amnesiac and all the b-sides I don’t know how many unreleased Kid A era songs there are.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
This was my first Radiohead show. I thought it was a good one.

The national anthem
Airbag
Morning bell
Lucky
Knives out
Pact like sardines
No surprises
Dollars and cents
Street spirit
Pearly
Just
I might be wrong
Pyramid song
Paranoid android
Idioteque
Everything in its right place
E1
Like spinning plates
Talk show host
You and who’s army
The bends
E2
Karma police
The tourist

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Do they play Reckoner much?

They did on the last tour. Not every night but often

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sand Monster posted:

Gotta be from the 2001 tour right? I loved when they opened with "The National Anthem" back then.

Yeah it was the us tour that summer amnesiac came out.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Volte posted:

Personally I hope there are ska versions of Morning Bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
All the amnesiac b-sides kicked rear end