Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I love The King of Limbs, one of my most listened-to RH albums. Good album to gently caress to, and the newspaper edition is awesome. Plus they emailed me bonus tracks and I added them to my album for free. Hardly ever listen to In Rainbows anymore, it's pretty uneven though I liked it a lot at the time. Amnesiac and Hail to... have both aged extremely well.

Basically, Radiohead are good devs and gave me free DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

Somewhere Johnny Greenwood is sharpening a knife and writing down the names of Academy members.

Actually, I think he's probably sighing contentedly about not being the tool on stage winning an academy award for poo poo-grade balladry.

VVVVVV Oh I get what you meant homie

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 2, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Popcorn posted:

Oh it's this thread again. Christ, you're all wrong about everything!

The King of Limbs rules. Codex - the song TKOL haters like, because it most resembles previous Radiohead songs - is the only weak track.

You see, this guy gets it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ZoDiAC_ posted:

It would be nice if we had a Radiohead that wasn't just subjective opinion

We had a ban on ranking last time round

you heard the man, please discontinue talking about poo poo you like my fellow goons :smugjones:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ZoDiAC_ posted:

"Pyramid Song" I would put forward as a high watermark for however you judge music - lyrically, melodically, production, the time signature, from many an angle it is fine, good, whole music. Synocapated enough, eh Popcorn? :)

King of Limbs has elements of this. My favourite example, probably Give Up the Ghost.

Yeah, KoL is like a whole album of Pyramid Song, which is awesome.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Except that Pyramid Song is actually really entertaining to listen to whereas KoL is not.

I am currently entertained by it right now...therefore something something expand your horizons

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

it's like i've fallen out of bed from a long and vivid dream

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Popcorn posted:

Ed: "We should have pruned it down to 10 songs, then it would have been a really good record."

Colin: "I didn't want three or four songs on there, because I thought some of the ideas we were trying out weren't completely finished." Such as? "The Gloaming. We played it live and it was cool. My brother [Jonny] sampled each of the instruments on stage, cut them up then sent them back into the mix. It was so exciting, like a live DJ show, and Thom performed off of all of that. But it wasn't the same in the studio."

I strongly suspect Radiohead performed The Gloaming for the From the Basement live album because they wanted to get some "fixed" version out there in some form. The same might be true of Myxomatosis - the From the Basement version's simplified arrangement (particularly the drumming) is a huge improvement over the record, IMO.

Such an awesome record though. There's not an album out there that better captures the paralytic 'don't ask questions' mood of the War on Terror in it's early stages. I remember meeting people that basically said Radiohead was 'over' when they heard it, probably the same people that said Amnesiac was lovely leftovers, or that KoL is some sort of Fly-lo copycat montage.

Basically, every Radiohead album is the worst Radiohead album...for a while.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

they also updated their facebook image stuff - the art for the new album will probably mirror this:

it's very interesting!! From a pure design perspective, it's much, much better than King of Limbs. But it's very hard to read to mood / tone of this. Feels lighter and higher energy than anything since OK Computer. The typeface and color are very poppy. Who knows!!

Kinda just looks like sumi ink and gouache :nallears:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Wouldn't it be funny if the new album is TKol part 2

I hope it is, actually.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TKoL is great, newspaper album is great. Too bad for the dingbats that can't look at the cool stuff inside.

I like that Radiohead made an album about Yggdrasil.

Sell your house and buy gold.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

news update: work of art is actually "work of art"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Princeps32 posted:

It's interesting because everything but Little by Little really grew on me, something about the hook irritates me.

little by little, homie. by hook or by crook

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ZoDiAC_ posted:

I posted an actual song where Thom did guest vocals on and it got no views - no discussion, nothin'. Go over to Reddit if you want to hang on LP9.

Welcome to NMD, I'll be your guide.

NMD was once a bustling hub of no music discussion. Until the purge, that is, until SA Last-Read

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The plug-in/site update that takes you to the last read post of a subscribed thread.

Before it people ventured out of their user control panel a lot more often and the creative subforums weren't a graveyard.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

That Little By Little baseline tho

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

The album does have a kind of overarching sense of paranoia and darkness which I'd say is pretty consistent on every song. It's a bit bloated, but it's an effective and thematically coherent artwork, I think.

This is totally true, especially with regard to the climate of the times upon release. There was just a lot to say back then.

Rollersnake posted:

I like that it cuts the tracks I don't think work very well on the album, but sticking 2+2=5 somewhere in the middle is so wrong. Hail to the Thief is a flawed album, but it has the strongest opening of pretty much any Radiohead album except for Kid A.

I agree, in fact, I feel like the first 6 songs of HttT are in perfect order and give off this incredible sense of oppression and dread. I can deal with We Suck Young Blood. The Gloaming loses me, though. There is something incredibly propulsive about the first half of Hail that I don't think any other Radiohead album manages, the idea that the album starts running on fumes after 8-9 songs is notable because it's been on maximum burn for 30 minutes by that point.

If I were to trim the album in a playlist I'd keep the overall order but directly cut out The Gloaming, I Will, A Punch Up, and Scatterbrain. The transitions are nice this way and none of the overall tone is lost.

The album is great tho, definitely gonna give the Thom-order a spin.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Listening to it now and I am of the opinion that the Thom-order sucks. Sorry, internet!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mutant Standard posted:

I hate the synths in Where I End and You Begin.

I hate this post.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Some gonna get that poo poo on Videotape.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sounds like someone just got kicked off the party bus. :bandwagon:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kid A is a pretty good b-sides collection for Amnesiac. It would also make a good EP.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

If there are decent recordings of these songs, and I dunno if there are, why does it matter if they're on the new album? Wouldn't you want new stuff?

radioheadfans.txt

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

A human heart posted:

Death to corporate rock

Well, they're using corporate structure the way it was originally intended. They establish a corporate charter to accomplish a specific task or difficult project and dissolve the charter when complete rather than allowing the purpose of a specific corporate entity to mutate decade after decade away from its original purpose, as it is with many contemporary corporate leviathans.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

68k posted:

Here are the official tiers fyi:

T1: OKC, Kid A
T2: IR, Amnesiac, The Bends
T3: HttT, TKoL
T4: PH

Please reference this list in any future tier discussions

Ranking Radiohead albums is the only valid part of Radiohead threads, so I applaud you. However...any list on which Kid A is tiered above Amnesiac is a list I'm prepared to diarrheadump on. F You. And Die.

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

It will turn out "Dawn Chorus" refers to the fact Thom Yorke replaced his normal bleeps and bloops with samples of bird calls.

They covered up the sun, good goon, the birds have flown away

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Put a bird on it!

Let me tell you about my hometown...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Lid posted:

Pyramid Song would like a word

No, but you see, it was just a b-side, so

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Spectre had a very tight timeframe it had to fit into. Maybe if it's on the album (or a later bonus disc) they'll expand it.

Wouldn't be the first time their soundtrack music made it onto an album.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ma_NiC posted:

I wasn't super drawn in by the song the first time I heard it, but after 10 or so listens it's really grown on me.

so, a Radiohead song then

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Illavick posted:

I really, really like this single. It feels more colorful and alive and not as convoluted as the vibe I've been getting their recent stuff. TKOL is a decent album in my opinion but it definitely aims more to be experimental than an album of good songs. They went a little too far in that direction for my taste. Witch feels more like something I might find on OK Computer despite the digital rhythm. I'm pretty drat happy with that as their more aggressive and fast tracks from that album are perennial favorites of mine.

I never considered TKOL too experimental, just more on the ambient/intimate side of things. I mean, Radiohead have been chronicling paranoia and alienation for over 20 years, and it's kind of cool that they have at least one album that's a bit more inviting.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I like this 10 times better than anything they've put out since In Rainbows.

At least 15 minutes of In Rainbows are interminable. The rest is fantastic.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mutant Standard posted:

You use to be alright. What happened?

I'm defective, I think. Songs 3-6 on that album turn me right the gently caress off. There are a lot of sweeping strings and diddling soundtrack noises throughout, but overall the rest is great.

I liked In Rainbows quite a bit more on release, maybe because I thought the timing of the emancipation story for the band was cool and pay-what-you-like felt novel. It's near the bottom of the list for me now as far as their albums go. It doesn't really gel on the whole, but it also doesn't take risks.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

In Rainbows has fantastic songs but it doesn't really have an overarching feeling/vibe like Kid A through to HTTT. I like those three albums better.

I guess this is where I'm coming from. It's probably the album of theirs that, in spirit, would be harmed least by being turned into a random playlist.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mother's Day album, hot.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

um yeah gently caress this, Amnesiac version please

Probably Magic posted:

Not totally my thing, but it has more substance than, say, Feral had, so it won't be dead weight and maybe it'll grow on me.

Feral is so good, so propulsive, it's like a mushroom trip and all the people are made of trees. So basically an entmoot. Return of the King of Limbs

Jewmanji posted:

I guess I was just thinking of recent releases, like Supercollider, Staircase, The Butcher, The Daily Mail. Man, what if they had removed the four worst tracks off TKOL and replaced them with those?

What the hell are you even talking about? Just put them on yourself, in literally any order you want.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Can we rank Radiohead albums some more so I can put Kid A in 5th or 6th place?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ballz posted:

That's where I have OK Computer. :chord:

I like the way you rabble-rouse, mate.

:butt::hf::butt:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Burn The Bitch

Adbot