Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthIncarnate

Weird owl has life all figured out

"Death Leap", by Alfred Kubin.

We're off the beaten path now.

"The Ape"

"The Terror"

Alfred Kubin (1877-1959) was one of the grandfathers of what would become expressionism and symbolism.

"Male Sphinx"

He's

a strange one.

Very German, obviously; a great obsession with the sexual, the scatological, and

"The Road to Hell"

death.

Lots and lots of death.

"The Idol"

He's largely forgotten today, despite being, in his time, a well-known and extremely influential artist and illustrator; I think it's a shame, really.

"The Track"

I hope it's not strange for me to say that I love Alfred Kubin.

"One Woman for All"

That last one

bothers people.

Note the penises.

As I was saying, I hope it won't reflect too badly on me to say that I love him. His work

"The Symphony"

makes me feel calm.

makes me feel happy.

makes me feel like I'm home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthIncarnate

I was tempted to just post my very favorite images first, but I think I'll hold onto them for a little while so that we can get acclimated to Kubin's style.

I don't want them to be wasted.

Android Blues

these are shockingly gorgeous

i don't at all find it strange that you like him. even if you read the more sexual images as a paean to female subjugation, which i don't think they necessarily are, the sheer artistry going on here makes it hard to resist liking.

alnilam

This is awesome, i like his style a lot.

It's okay to appreciate a depiction of horrible things. People don't like Guernica because it depicts a happy occasion.

alnilam

Weeeeeeee!

FilthIncarnate

Android Blues posted:

these are shockingly gorgeous

i don't at all find it strange that you like him. even if you read the more sexual images as a paean to female subjugation, which i don't think they necessarily are, the sheer artistry going on here makes it hard to resist liking.

Kubin lost his virginity at ~thirteen, to an older woman; it may not have been entirely consensual on his part.

also as a child, he tried to kill himself on his mother's grave.

his feelings about women are

complex.

also this is him:

it's sort of shocking how handsome he looks.

devil

Finally a thread where I can post with onl the jobless yobbers

bacalou

man art is fuckin' awesome

bacalou

is it art or just a poorly put together series of informative posters detailing the dangers of the female anatomy

bacalou

kubin looking at a stop sign: see, they get it

Android Blues

bacalou posted:

kubin looking at a stop sign: see, they get it

PinkoBastard
"The Road to Hell" is amazing. I really like these works a lot. I don't know anything about art really, but I'm sort of reminded of Zdzisław Beksiński:

I don't know, maybe artistically the comparison is way off, but they seem to be thematically similar.

thanks FilthIncarnate!

Admiral_eX_laX

Historically Inaccurate

bacalou posted:

man art is fuckin' awesome

Good post.

FilthIncarnate

On the subject of thematic similarity, "The Road to Hell" is actually the third time Kubin visited that same idea; I think it's the best execution thereof, which is why I posted it

here are the earlier two:

I think the road to hell is

anyway it's great.

it's also in conversation with the work of Jesus, in an interesting way.

at least i think so.

FilthIncarnate

bacalou posted:

is it art or just a poorly put together series of informative posters detailing the dangers of the female anatomy

This is actually just the tip of the genital iceberg, honestly.

I hadn't been planning on it, because I tend to like that side of Kubin's work less, but if you want I could dig up his

um

particularly interesting

genital-based drawings.

Android Blues

oh wow, this one is on the nose huh

normally people are happy just to do "ominous cave" and let the viewer connect the dots but he really cast off cowardice on this one

(i really like this thread, these are great. my favourite of your art threads so far, for sure! :) )

barfdog

im hard

https://i.imgur.com/FLpAnfS.mp4

Manifisto

maybe it's just me, but this one seems to bear more than a passing resemblance to an album cover I like:

or rather, vice versa, I guess

these are cool, I love the "ominous untold story" aspect of Expressionism (and Surrealism, although I guess I have no idea what relationship, if any, Kubin had to the Surrealists)

apparently he illustrated Poe, that sounds like a good fit--"The Terror" somehow made me think of the story "A Descent into the Maelström" before knowing Kubin had a link to Poe

ty nesamdoom!

devil

Wow.. If these artists were alive today, I think they would really like the works of Jhonen Vasquez

Commie NedFlanders

Theses are terrifying and wonderful plz post more

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
Love God, Love Thy Neighbor
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

bacalou

devil posted:

Wow.. If these artists were alive today, I think they would really like the works of Jhonen Vasquez

well at least you'd have one thing in common.

GEExCEE

devil posted:

Lol

dumb crambo
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

devil posted:

haha

FilthIncarnate

I'm going to do some of my favorites now, a little more slowly, if that's okay.

Here's one.

Title: "Every Night We Are Haunted by a Dream"

PinkoBastard

FilthIncarnate posted:

I'm going to do some of my favorites now, a little more slowly, if that's okay.

Here's one.

Title: "Every Night We Are Haunted by a Dream"

I really like this one a lot. again, it reminds me of something else: the artwork for the first few albums by electronic music artist Klaus Schulze (ex-Tangerine Dream)

"Timewind"

"Irrlicht"

"Blackdance"

hope you're ok with me posting these FilthIncarnate; I just thought the parallels were kind of interesting, and that more art is better than less.

FilthIncarnate

:rznv:

FilthIncarnate

I'll be honest; I'm sort of bummed that Alfred Kubin got compared to Invader Zim.

FilthIncarnate

It's not fair, y'know?

Kubin was a pioneer; Kafka wouldn't have been Kafka without him, and, like

I mean some of this stuff is from 1901, 1902; this poo poo was crazy back then.

But he took a lot of poo poo for it; the Nazis hated him, though I guess it could have been worse: he didn't get concentration camp'd like Bruno Schulz, who only squeezed out two books before he was institutionally murdered.

but postmodernism is really hard on the symbolists; when you start from the premise that all art is just aesthetics it makes all their work look hokey.

I dunno. I shouldn't take it personally, but somehow I do.

I've got stuff to do this evening but I'll try to squeeze out a few more posts tomorrow.

alnilam

Being hated by the Nazis is kind of a badge of honor

PinkoBastard

FilthIncarnate posted:

I'll be honest; I'm sort of bummed that Alfred Kubin got compared to Invader Zim.

I don't really "get" the comparison, myself

devil

I loving coom

PinkoBastard

FilthIncarnate

Is it okay for me to post art again?

Piso Mojado

FilthIncarnate posted:

Is it okay for me to post art again?

yes, always!

FilthIncarnate

Okay; I'll try to find the right way to do it.

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

this thread is fantastic, please keep going

hi how are you ♥

FilthIncarnate

This thread needs a shot in the arm, and I know only one way to do it.

So I'm going to bring out one of my favorite sequences in the whole history of art:

Picasso's Minotaur paintings.

Picasso does these during the 1930's. His life at the time is

complex

His marriage is dissolving, finally; he has a gazillion women in his life and his relationships with them are constantly in flux

Many of these are from something called the "Vollard Suite", a set of 100 works commissioned by the dealer Vollard; you can google it for the full set.

I could say more about them but honestly they

they kind of speak for themselves.

I love Picasso; nobody ever came close to him, not even in his long lifetime

this is a man, after all, who literally outlived modernism; every time he had an idea, he spawned a new genre of art, full of dozens of imitators

and in the end, he outlasted them all, emerging, I think, still kind of bizarre and unknowable.

FilthIncarnate

There.

That's me bringing out the big guns.

I'm a little tired now so I think I'll go lay down.

Admiral_eX_laX

Historically Inaccurate

FilthIncarnate posted:

There.

That's me bringing out the big guns.

I'm a little tired now so I think I'll go lay down.

you did a good job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
Art
by MisterMagpie
FilthIncarnate's third period Art class

The thing about art is that it is cool and good.

Art is cool. Cool people make art and cool people enjoy it.

Art is good. Well duh. Art is really awesome and awesome is good.

In conclusion, art is both cool and good.

• Locked thread