Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
You know drat well that the Fourth Hokage's jacket says "Fourth Hokage", Jay. I'm not taking your bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I've already lost track of this story. Oh well. I did like that bit in this episode where the bodyguards all appeared out of nowhere all like, "Hey, what's up. We were here the whole time." That was cute.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I mean, that's one more place than the real Japan, right?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ChorpSaway posted:

Feel free to ask questions if you actually want some idea of what's going on! Things start out REALLY disjointed in this game but start to come together after this chapter and a bit of the next one, so if you need help, now's the best time to ask.
Okay, well this is the story so far as I understand it:

At some point Sasuke attacked the Cloud Village and killed Killer Bee. Did we see that and I've forgotten, or did it happen offscreen? Anyway, the Raikage is pissed off about it and calls the other Kage together for a meeting in Ninja Geneva. Naruto gets wind of this and intercepts the Raikage on the way to the meeting to try to talk him down so he doesn't have Naruto's best friend(???) killed, but the Raikage isn't having any of Naruto's crap and goes on his way.

Separately, Tsunade is in a coma. Did we see that happen, or did that happen offscreen? In her absence, Danzo, who we know nothing about, has gone to the meeting in her place, and he seems very shady but hasn't actually done anything yet.

Separately, Madara knows about the Five Kage Summit and has sent Sasuke and friends to ice them all, while Madara himself has gone to tell Naruto, who is still hanging out in the wilderness of Ninja Switzerland, about some backstory stuff that seems like it could have waited until there's less going on.

Meanwhile, the Five Kage Summit has started. Rather than actually discussing the problem and coming up with a plan to solve it, the Raikage is mainly interested in talking poo poo about the other Kage, including the one called "Bright Shinypretty", who you have to figure is probably on the level. Eventually Zetsu shows up and lures the Raikage out of the room, and the other four don't really give a poo poo and go back to bickering amongst themselves. And that's where we are now. Is that about right?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
k, got it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
what's so funny about "Danzo"?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I love Sakura's balls here. It would make me incredibly happy if this ended with her actually killing Sasuke, but it's pretty obvious that's not how it's going to go down.

Oh well, at least there's Killer Bee. Can the rest of the game just be about him and the Eight-Tails?

By the way, "Kisame" sounds exactly like "savage shark" or "demon shark". It's even written that way. It's not even a pun or anything. What were the parents thinking?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
they were right there in her hands!

what do you want from me?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It was about this time in the story that I thought someone had finally decided Sasuke was going to stay a bad guy. Like he's attempting to murder his old friends, and his new friends, and he's saying ridiculously evil things and making ridiculously evil faces. So c'mon he's gotta be irredeemable now, right?
I know, right? It seems so obvious that this story arc ends with Sasuke dying. All the signs seem to be pointing to it. The story seems to be going out of its way to show that no, he's not a tragic villain. He's just a villain. He's going to die, and you're not supposed to feel bad about it.

I don't know what's going to happen instead, but I do know it'll be disappointing.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

White Coke posted:

It also allows him to use Izanagi (the technique with the arm-eyes that lets him cheat death) for about a minute per eye.
These mythological allusions are getting more and more strained as time goes on. I can't wait to see Konohanasakuyahime, which probably makes fire rain from the sky or something, considering how much everything else has had to do with what it's named after.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Hunter Noventa posted:

Given his overall treatment of female characters, it might very well have done just that.
Naruto seems to get singled out for that a lot, and I'm not sure why. Naruto is clearly sexist, and that should be talked about, but are the other things like it any better? The closest thing I'm familiar with is Dragon Ball Z, which is just as bad if not worse, and I never hear it get any flak for it. I admit I don't know much about Bleach or One Piece or anything else - what are they like?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I see. Good discussion, thanks.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
A bunch of the voice actors in this game really overpronounce their Rs and it's very distracting

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ChorpSaway posted:

Anyways I hear some of the people in this thread probably like anime so here's my :siren: HOT SHILLING :siren:!!!
It's true. I watched upwards of five animes last year. I think I have a problem.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Sorry, I only watch shows with cute girls or Spike Spiegel in them.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Can you point to any good articles or podcasts or whatever about all the poo poo wrong with the idol industry, FutureFriend? I already knew it's a bad scene, of course, but I'm interested in knowing more specifics.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks for the link.

The "wacky Japan" thing is always a bummer, yeah.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Why are Dark Naruto's eyes the only thing that's different? Making poo poo like this less confusing is practically what palette swaps were invented for!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I can just imagine being the designer who has to go to the art team and say "The testers keep losing track of which Naruto they are! Can you please, please change the colours on Dark Naruto just a little bit?" But no matter how much I plead, they always say "No! He has to look exactly like he did in the anime! We've talked to the rights holders about it, and they absolutely will not budge on this critical issue."

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
You're hired. When can you start?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ChorpSaway posted:

Feel free to fight me about these opinions or discuss them! Or the probably terrible opinions we had for the winter season, like how we continue to snub top-tier anime Teekyuu!
I haven't listened to the cast yet because I want to watch Erased first, but once I've done that I will definitely do one or both of those things.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Update: I've just now learned that Snow White with the Red Hair has had a second season, so our fated conflict will have to wait for that too. You might want to spend this time training under a waterfall, or you might not be ready for my very powerful anime opinions.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It turns out I agree with everything you said about the two things I actually watched. I really like Erased. I like it so much I stayed up until 3 AM watching it all the day I posted about it, which what the gently caress, that's not me. But like you said, considering how loving relentless most of it is, I think it gets way too cheery and way too "Death Note" toward the end. And Snow White with the Red Hair continues to be good. I keep waiting for Kiki to do something really cool, because I'm sure she will eventually, but she still hasn't yet. I'm afraid she might end up in a romance with Mitsuhide instead, and then I'll be very cross.

I guess I can't fight you over your terrible opinions because I share them all, but we should fight anyway. Anime has taught me that the best way to understand someone is to cross swords with them, or failing that cross ninja magic with them. Follow me - I know somewhere we can go all-out without causing any collateral damage.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I like that the seal on the Nine Tails is clearly labeled "seal" so you know what it is. Good to see people borrowing from the Adam West Batman school of visual storytelling.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Also, what you said about it on the pod convinced me to start watching Haruchika. I'm only one episode in, and I'm already annoyed at it - "My Rival In Love Is My Childhood Friend - A Boy?!" was supposed to be the name of my next light novel, and I find out they beat me to it??

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
i had some stuff i was going to say about haruchika when you posted the next update, but i wasn't prepared for this. you've destroyed me.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Laura Bailey deserves better than this.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I haven't listened to the cast yet, but there's nothing this season that caught my attention, so my anime opinions are safely sealed away. The world is safe for another generation.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

I haven't listened to the cast yet, but there's nothing this season that caught my attention, so my anime opinions are safely sealed away. The world is safe for another generation.
Now I've listened to the cast, and I'm going to watch Tanaka-kun on Jordan's recommendation, because the last time I watched something based on a Choco Disaster review it worked out really well. Haruchika is super good. It's one of those things that's so thematically-cohesive and casually progressive that it makes me despair for video games. It's a sad state of affairs when an anime adaptation of a young adult novel is on par with your most sophisticated classics.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I actually wrote a program that generates random anime / visual novel / light novel names. I only gave it one sentence pattern, but there are some wrinkles in it, so it comes up with things like "Remember Those Fists" and "Lift Up This Dream of Yours" and "If You Search For That Feeling". Unfortunately it can only output in Japanese, so I don't imagine it's very interesting to a general audience.

Even the experts haven't cracked the technology for randomly generating anime stories yet, though. Give it another few years.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

FutureFriend posted:

dont describe me with such awful words
Don't worry, I think you're a very believable and relatable character. Chorps is too much of an audience stand-in to be interesting.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Since you asked about this on the bonus episode of the podcast, my blind translation of "Chiccha na Mune no Tokimeki" would be "Throbbing of a Little Heart". I assume the reason you couldn't find that anywhere online is that everyone else was too embarrassed to type something so cutesy.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Gologle posted:

Ya know, if Naruto (the whole series, but also the character) was better, these scenes would probably be really great unironically as opposed to ironically for the wrong reasons.
It's true. This would have been very cool if I gave the tiniest poo poo about any of these characters.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I hadn't listened to the last couple of Choco Disasters, but my Japanese teacher gave me a direct order to watch more anime the other day, so I had to go back and catch up on the ones I missed to get some recommendations. Apparently this is my life now.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ChorpSaway posted:

This is my new favorite thing. Hope you find something you enjoy!
I've already watched Joker Game since then. It's super good.

I'm sad to see a show fail the Bechdel test in 2016, but since it's a serious period piece, I guess it's about as close to acceptable as it can be.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ChorpSaway posted:

Youtube
MP3 Download

Today it's time for Jordan and I to talk about our current impressions on the shows we're watching this summer, and someone made the mistake of over-stuffing his anime plate (it's me)! But, we'll still do our best to have fun as we talk about the highs and lows as we see them so far.
I might have to watch Orange, since you both seem to like it so much.

I watched the new series of Hero since last time, too, and that's fun. Not anime, but it's Japanese TV and I have a vague memory that you might have mentioned it on the cast once.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
By the way, do you listen to Video Games Hot Dog, Chorps, or has someone been going around asking a bunch of completely unrelated podcasts about their favourite games made by women?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That explains how the hell you found out about Fruity Pebbles.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

I'm glad the Nine Tails and I are on the same page about this story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I never imagined this LP would end with everyone wishing the game had gone all-in on Ninja Politics.

• Locked thread