Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'm pretty sure the Hokage is a military dictator chosen by his predecessor. This is actually Orichimaru's issue with the Fourth and Third, he feels that the Third should have named him the Fourth Hokage instead of Minato. Also there are lots of summons, the Third Hokage summons monkeys, in fact the big staff he uses is a monkey that has made itself a staff.

I know way too much about this series because I look at wikis for fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So important thing about ROOT. Danzo chose the name himself and his entire thing was he felt Sarutobi would be too kind-hearted to do the real dirty work of being leader. Sarutobi found out about it eventually and told him to shut it down and he instead took it further underground, originally ROOT was just a subset of ANBU I think. But an important thing is that Danzo actually fully believes what he's doing will protect and improve the Leaf Village, after all a tree cannot stand without it's ROOTs.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'm pretty sure the Samurai can actually use Chakra, they just don't do Jutsu with it. Instead they channel it into their swords so as to increase the effective range or modify the shape of their weapon. The reason they mediate is because they're neutral to the Ninja and the Land of Iron is actually quite protected due to it's location. Also I think Mifune is meant to be as strong as most of the Kage, he's really capable actually.

I personally think the story of Shippunden took a jump off a cliff over a shark and into an inescapable hole of stupid but the political stuff between the villages is not that awful. For example Ai is either the Raikage who ordered the kidnapping of Hinata or the son of said Raikage, meanwhile Onoki is the only Kage here to have ruled in the Third Ninja war which is why he's so sour, he remembers how bad the fighting got and has issues with Konoha because they did a number on his forces. Thankfully the dumbest part of the plot isn't in this game from memory so we don't have to deal with the bullshit that is the ending.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

They have the same meaning sort of. Danzo named them Root because he felt he and his hidden group of Ninja would be the foundational roots from which the great Tree of Konoha, led by Hiruzen Sarutobi, would draw strength. They would be the unseen shadows that held the entire village up so that it would remain strong forever.

Danzo is, at his core, deeply caring about his village to the point of absurdity. The reason he tries to be leader of the Ninja Alliance is so that he can ensure the other Villages are most damaged by the upcoming fight so that afterwards Konoha would not be in a position of weakness.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So I mentioned earlier that the Samurai actually have Chakra, the laser swords and axes are them channelling chakra into their normal weapons to create chakra blades in whatever shape they want. What they don't do is ninjutsu, so they can't breathe fire or create a Rasengan/Chidori but they can control chakra and do all the superhuman physical feats of ninja. I think Asuma from the last game does a similar thing with his weapons actually.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

To be fair the reason the massacre was ordered is because Sasuke's father, Fugaku Uchiha, was planning on having the Uchiha overthrow the Hokage and instate himself in place as he feels that the Uchiha were being ignored and unappreciated. Sarutobi was trying to talk to him but before an acceptable agreement could be found Danzo ordered Itachi to kill the Uchiha, as Danzo felt there would be no compromise. He and the two Elders told Itachi that the Hokage agreed to the massacre and than Itachi said he would do it so long as Sasuke was allowed to live.

Basically Danzo is a dick because Sarutobi totally could have talked down the Uchiha given time, which he had, and the correct sort of motivations for them, which he could give. Danzo meanwhile is a warhawk who constantly fears the fall of Konoha, so he felt the chance Sarutobi would fail was too great and thus went behind his back. Itachi was actually pretty useful as a missing ninja too, he gave information on Akatsuki to Jiraiya from memory.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The Handle isn't actually broken. It's detachable for easier carrying.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Zabuza's sword looks really boring compared to the weapons of the other swordsmen, which include the following.

A giant needle-like sword that threads people together, a sword that is in fact any weapon you could ever want, a "sword" that is actually an axe and a hammer connected by a chain, a sword that explodes, two swords that channel lightning and a sword that is really a giant living mass of scales that eats chakra.

Zabuza's just rebuilds through iron in blood and has two circular holes for easy decapitations of captured enemies.

Also I thought it was around here that Ai breaks the sword and then later on we learn it heals through drinking blood. Did they skip the break or is it just that we don't reach the blood drinking part?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I do not remember when it happened but how it happened is Sasuke used the ever-burning black fire of Amaterasu on his arm. So to stop it spreading Ai just chopped his own arm off.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

As I recall when we see the sword being repaired the guy doing so slaughters like over 200 ninja in quick succession to do so. Which is still pretty unrealistic but it was a seriously large number of fodder ninja being killed.

RareAcumen posted:

Really the fact that no one has shown up with weapons that weigh as much as a tank is the real shock.

About that, the Toad Boss has a sword. The Toad Boss is also as large as the full size Kyuubi, who can cause earth-quakes by walking and tsunamis by swinging a tail through water. The Toad Boss' sword is to scale, which means it's bigger than most buildings in setting. Tsunade can and will use this sword.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I like the fact that whilst Killer Bee uses seven swords not one of them is held in his hands. In general Killer Bee is probably the best character introduced this late in the story, I don't particularly like any of the later characters and most of the ones introduced in this sequence aren't interesting or show up enough for me to care.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

As far as I can tell the less people care about the Uchiha bullshit the better they are as characters, which means all the Uchiha except Itachi who actually doesn't care are the worst and the people who actively ignore it are great. This is why Killer Bee is the best character because he actively ignores everything that isn't his brother, his rapping or his Tailed Beast.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The sad thing is there might have been an interesting character made from the Sasuke at the start. Unfortunately much like the plot he goes off the rails and doesn't really find his way back on so much as create his own rails out of pure ninja hax.

It's important to note that Danzo's Sharingarm has a Shouldai. Basically he worked with Orochimaru to produce an arm made from the DNA of the first Hokage so that he could use the Wood release and then he had a bunch of eyes taken from the Uchiha after the massacre and inserted them into said Senju arm to fuel a specific technique.

This technique permanently closes one of the eyes and then slightly changes the last five or so seconds of reality. In general he uses this to survive otherwise fatal attacks by rewriting reality itself so that he took no damage. Sasuke only beats him by using the Mangyeko Sharingan's superior illusionary capabilities to make him think he has one more use of this Jutsu through an illusion that makes it look like one of the eyes is still open. At least that's how I recall this victory going in the manga/anime.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

To be fair the Wood Style thing is not really a bloodline. The Senju special bloodline is extremely powerful chakra/vitality and a connection to nature. Hence the First Hokage can do Wood Style and the Second is capable of other stuff from memory, he's the designer of the resurrection Jutsu Orichmaru used. Tsunade in particular has a bunch of special techniques that would probably kill a non-Senju from memory. The big thing is the First Hokage had a perfect mix of earth and water affinities so he gets wood, a combination of both. Tsunade has no natural affinity for water from memory, just earth.

The big thing about the Senju is unlike the Uchiha, who focused super hard on the Sharingan, they attempted to be equally skilled in all facets of ninja skills. Which with their powerful chakra/vitality is pretty possible. Interestingly the Uchiha remained a large clan because they kept interbreeding whilst the Senju have only one known member left because they kept marrying outside the clan and changing names, probably.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I personally feel One Piece handles it's female characters a lot better than Naruto. They often get their own stories and because of the nature of the crew, they're all good friends and each has a job outside of just being a capable fighter, they usually get chances to be competent on their own. They're also never sidelined like say Sakura is, where she very rarely has a major part beyond how Sasuke and Naruto react to her.

It's also a matter of timing, Dragon Ball and Z are both older. Whereas Naruto is a relatively modern manga and still has these problems. It's a bit like comic books, nobody really faults the old ones for being the way they are because they're a product of their times but they get pissed at the modern stuff because it hasn't changed from those old ones.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I think Tsunade didn't actually die to Pein, unlike almost everyone else, so whilst Pein brings back everyone else in near perfect health she keeps her injuries. Might be wrong though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I personally think Sasuke was an okay character in the first half, it's just like most things about Shippunden he got really bad. For example Sasuke really was getting less lovely, then Itachi showed up again and drove him mad whilst Orochimaru hosed with his head. A recurring theme is Sasuke is a gullible twit who doesn't think for himself as long as he has someone to hate, and Madara took advantage of it. If he hadn't met Madara he totally would have agreed to return to the Leaf after killing Itachi, probably as a hero for killing the two greatest traitors they ever had.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 27, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The information that Naruto is the Fourth's son was suppressed by the Third so the Rock Village wouldn't try to have him assassinated, seeing as they gave a flee on sight order during the last Ninja War against him because he kept killing all their Ninja and would absolutely attempt to kill the son of their greatest enemy. I think the only people who actually know are Jiraiya, Tsunade(?), the Third, Madara, Kakashi, Danzo/elders and various members of ANBU who are entirely loyal to the Hokage anyway.

Interestingly the Fourth is also mainly remembered for dying to the Kyuubi over anything else, so the living reminder of the death of the Fourth Hokage is a pretty easy target for hatred amongst the civilians and ninja alike. Although everyone above Jounin level probably didn't really care about the nine-tails and a lot of people overstate how bad Naruto had it. He was shunned and ignored but never physically attacked, basically he was alone but unlike Gaara no-one tried to kill him.

Also whilst the Third Hokage declared the whole Jinchuuriki thing a secret under threat of execution Danzo was probably spreading the information behind his back in the hopes of isolating Naruto to one day get him into Root. After all a weapon you can't aim is barely a weapon at all and the Third wasn't doing anything to train or control Naruto as a weapon of the Leaf, it's probably one of the things he and Danzo argued over a lot. For reference the thing about being the son of the Fourth was similarly declared a secret and nobody knows that one, so it's pretty likely something went wrong in the suppression of Naruto's Jinchuuriki status.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 27, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Tsunade is blonde and Jiraiya has a seriously overgrown version of the spiky hair, which leads me to suspicions about the Fourth's parentage considering we never learn anything about them, he's an orphan from memory. Also whilst Naruto as a well-fed, healthy young man is a pretty close match for his father, Naruto is a bit bulkier from memory, as a child he has none of the sharpness of his father's face and is noted to behave a lot like his mother, the Fourth was a somewhat serious man and Naruto is anything but. Finally whilst the adults probably don't want to make the connection in their heads, I think almost all of his friends work it out before he himself does, and those who do know realise that they should probably not talk about a secret that discussion of is very likely to lead to imprisonment with the IT deparment and questioning on why you'd break such a serious law.

I was not joking about the potentially deadly repercussions of discussing both Naruto holding the Fox and his Father. They really are secrets important enough that the Third installed very serious punishments for breaking them. Ultimately if people were going to search for Naruto's parents they'd start with the Uzumaki name, as they are ancient allies of the Leaf and have been intermarrying with the Senju for generations, he could easily be the son of a survivor of the destruction of Uzushiogakure who married a Senju, hence the blonde hair which is a known Senju trait. The only people who even knew the Fourth was married were Kakashi, the Third, the Third's wife and the Anbu. To everyone else he was the perfect ninja machine.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I personally think that the problem with Naruto's story is largely in Shippuden, the first part is pretty okay barring the endless filler they added at the end. Sasuke hadn't become the plot black hole that he is in Shippuden, for one thing, and the Uchiha/Akatsuki stuff hadn't taken over the plot. I personally wish that the show hadn't ramped up to a global threat and had instead continued to focus on Konoha and Naruto slowly proving himself. Either that or just move between the different teams and follow them on various missions. Although then it couldn't be called Naruto, then again Shippuden could easily be called Sasuke and be accurate so it's not like the title ever really mattered.

The biggest reason Konoha hasn't done much about Sasuke is in fact that Tsunade thinks of Naruto like a little brother, he reminds her a lot of her actual little brother who died, so she lets him get away with a lot more than she should. Of course the Third also tried to dote on him and a lot of people oversell Naruto's lovely childhood. He was emotionally abused more than anything, they treated him as a monster and an outsider but that's about it.

Madara Uchiha is not one of the original two ninjas, he's one of the founders of Konoha. The original Ninja is the Sage of the Six Paths who was around like a millenia ago or something. Kabuto has a snake growing out of his tail bone I thought, as Orochimaru was quite literally a giant snake by the time of the DNA transfer.

I don't think Dark Naruto is actually a character, it's just a name and a unique skin. Also the whole thing about Dark Naruto is that Naruto is noted to have a mask of happiness. This is his deepest innermost thoughts from when he wasn't loved by the village. In the manga it talks about how it's going to destroy the village again by letting the Ninetails free in the middle if I remember correctly.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Fair enough on the Kabuto thing, I just thought having it grow out of his tailbone made more sense more than anything, but belly it is I guess.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Thought I'd give a little more info about why they used Kushina, and mainly it's because they believed you need an Uzumaki to hold the Nine-Tails and the previous one, the First Hokage's Wife, was rather old so they asked their dear allies the Uzumaki clan to send another child to be the new Jinchuuriki. Kushina was the one chosen because normally the seal is applied to young people so they have time to integrate it with their own Chakra system. Of course Childbirth in this world weakens the Chakra system of the mother because hers is used to kick-start the system of the child, which diverts a lot of Chakra from other parts of the body, such as the seal.

This makes Killer Bee even cooler because he's the only person I know of in universe to have a Tailed Beast sealed inside after puberty, all the others are before that so that it doesn't permanently damage their ability to use Chakra or outright kill them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TwoPair posted:

So seriously if childbirth weakens the seal, and it's confirmed that they totally can seal the demon in a male host, why would they ever seal the demon in a lady?

Also Chorps' "umm" response to the question of if the whole video was a cutscene was hilarious.

I mentioned it earlier but the basic reason why they seal it in Kushina is she's the only Uzumaki young enough for them to safely do so. I can't recall right now but I'm pretty sure the Kyuubi's sheer Chakra mass is damaging to seal into adults whose Chakra networks have been solidified by puberty, and at the time it was thought only an Uzumaki could have the full power Kyuubi sealed inside and it'd have to be before puberty to ensure that the Chakra Network grew with the seal instead of being destroyed by the initial sealing.

Also normally you don't have someone with the loving Sharinhax targeting the mother, as the only reason the Kyuubi actually breaks out is because it's told to do so by Tobi. Otherwise this entire situation was potentially dangerous but ultimately harmless, it's Tobi that turns it into a complete poo poo-show. Childbirth doesn't weaken the seal any-more than any other extremely strenuous activity, in fact considering how weak Naruto manages to make his seal through various actions it's probably less dangerous than actually relying on the Kyuubi in combat the way Naruto does. Sealing the tailed-beasts in general is a bit iffy, Killer Bee is like the 10th guy they tried to seal the 8-tails in and the last 9 died from it. As I recall Killer Bee actually fought the 8-tails before it was sealed and they came to an agreement that way. Gaara has a bad seal and the previous host inside him and is a homicidal nut-case.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

There's a bit more going on in that case but the basics are they'd recently got married and she was first on the scene. In fact she sealed it inside herself with his help not the other way around. Which does admittedly mess with my post puberty point but it's also said she had no ability to use it at all, compared to Kushina who had some and Naruto who spams it like no tomorrow when necessary.

We don't know much about the first's wife but I don't think she performs much ninja work after the sealing so that might be when they decided to use a child the next time, to avoid wrecking chakra pathways. She's the first Jinchuriki of the Kyuubi and perhaps the first ever so again it was rather untested jutsu anyway. Naruto has the most refined seal because it's the third time and Minaro studied Kushina's seal a lot.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

To be fair in comparison his mother literally chained it down and drained it's Chakra through force from memory and before that he was sealed for being used as a weapon by Madara so that he might one day be used as a weapon by the Leaf, or at least never be used as a weapon against the Leaf ever again. The Tailed Beasts in general are extremely mobile natural disasters who become living WMD when you seal them inside people. However they've only really started to be dangerous to humans on a massive scale after they started to hunt down and seal them inside people, before that they just sort of dicked around away from people doing their own thing. In fact after sealing the Kyuubi the First Hokage had the brilliant idea to go and collect the others and give them as gifts to the other villages as a sort of mutually assured nuclear destruction deal. The Tailed Beasts have a really good reason to go wild if they ever get free.

Doing right by the Kyuubi means not taking it for granted and respecting it as the ancient, powerful and intelligent creature it is and not just a giant battery. There's also something else going on with the Kyuubi that will explain a lot about why it is the way it is but I don't know if that's in this game or the next.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 23, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I totally agree and it isn't necessarily shown better in the anime or the manga but that's basically the intention of that scene as I understand it. The biggest reason that they can't free Kyuubi is removing a Tailed-Beast seal is almost always fatal, the Uzumaki can survive it for a lot longer than most because their big clan thing is stupidly long lives, high stamina and durability, which is why they make good Jinchuuriki. I think the First Hokage's wife lives to be like 120 or something similar because they're unnaturally long lived. Naruto's maximum age if he lives healthy and doesn't get himself killed like an idiot is probably 200+ because of his genetics and the Kyuubi.

Basically Naruto would die within the month if you freed the Kyuubi because the seal is tied to his chakra network which is vital for life, although if you had the right sort of medical specialist on hand you could repair the damage. At least from memory Naruto makes a real effort after this to be nicer to the Kyuubi, and eventually let's it manifest outside the seal like Bee does the Hachibi, in fact they end up partners with a similar level of friendship

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The original problem with the Rasenshuriken is it creates a sphere of nearly absolute destruction that rips everything inside to really small pieces. Naruto fixes this by throwing the thing instead of holding it and shoving it into people. Far more dangerous to his life span is letting the Kyuubi hit 4-tails or higher, because at that point the Chakra cloak is dissolving his skin. The reason the higher tailed forms for him look like a roving mass of red and black is because it's actually his blood and flesh being used to replicate that of the Kyuubi.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The main reason he uses the Clones is he can't do the shaping himself and focus on giving the Chakra, because he has so much Chakra that finesse is nearly impossible unless he focuses entirely on controlling how much Chakra he uses. Instead he gets around his lack of Chakra Control by having someone else do it, this is also why he's good at incorporating other Chakra/Energy in the Rasengan, as he's used to having the Clone shape it by supplying small amounts of Chakra. Rasenshuriken involves wind Chakra for example, and in most of the movies whatever the newest special energy ends up getting used.

It's not a mental thing it's a physical thing, he actually knows all the steps for the Rasengan. It's like why he can't use normal clones but can spam shadow clones for forever, one requires such small amounts of Chakra that learning that amount of control would take forever, the other requires so much that using it can kill people and Naruto gets to ignore that because he's a nearly endless supply of Chakra. I mean the other large user of Shadow Clones is Kakashi and he creates at most 50-100 in part 1, Naruto can create over 1000 in Part 1 and still fight at pretty much peak performance.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I want to point out that the animal summon thing aren't actually just toads/snakes/slugs, those are just the three that the sannin used and they're in universe cool guys so everyone in Konoha knows about them. Additionally Kakashi's summons are actually pretty unique because they aren't summon animals in the same way the toads/snakes/slugs are, they're actually his dogs that presumably live in his house and he summons them long distances with various techniques. The toads/snakes/slugs on the other hand live in unique locations around the world that only their contracted summoners can find, and might be separate dimensions. Their are other summoning contracts; for example that giant staff that the Third Hokage uses is actually the leader of the Monkey summons transformed, and Might Guy has a contract with the tortoises, Temari even has weasels and I think Itachi could summon crows.

The reason for Naruto's name is also kind of nice, he's named after the hero from Jiraiya's first book and his only book that isn't some sort of erotica. I'm also pretty sure that whilst taking half the Kyuubi's chakra shrunk him at the time he's almost literally an infinite source of the stuff so he probably regenerated some of it by the time of the first part of Naruto.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The main purpose of that summon is Might Guy actually doesn't have many defensive options, so I'm assuming the Tortoise summons make up for that potential weakness. Guy just never got in a fight where his own Taijutsu wasn't enough to win and the times he did the summon probably wouldn't help regardless so it never really comes up. They also might double as training weights and throwing weapons, after all Tortoises are heavy.

The two times it shows up are the Chuunin exam, where he uses it to talk to Lee about not being an idiot and fighting before the actual exam and I think something that comes up soon.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

To be fair the Byakugan, normal Sharingan and Rinnegan are all actually kind of okay. It's the loving Mangyeko Sharingan and Perfect Mangyeko Sharingan that make everything terrible, also how much the importance is given to the Uchiha over the other characters and clans. The Byakugan just gives you 360 degrees of pseudo x-ray vision, the Sharingan gives you the ability to see everything directly in front of you no matter how fast and the Rinnegan gives you mastery of Chakra/Jutsu. None of which are particularly ridiculous on their own considering you can replicate them with other Chakra techniques or training.

The Mangyeko is ridiculous because everyone gets 2 unique powers, one in the Right Eye and one in the Left Eye. They all also get the Susanoo no matter what, which can have it's own personal silly powers. There is no limit to how powerful these powers can be, as Danzo has proven and Tobi/Madara continues to prove.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Squarely Circle posted:

The Byakugan sounds more like an inconvenience than anything. You can't do overpowered bullshit with it, everyone assumes you're blind, they keep calling you 'that bakugan guy', you look through a wall and accidentally see Jiraiya eating ramen out of a woman's belly button

The main benefit is it uses like no loving Chakra and is literally impossible to fool. You cannot hide from the Byakugan whilst within their field of vision and those can get pretty huge. They also have secondary stuff where they can see a bunch of other Chakra stuff, like seals and through Genjutsu. In comparison the Rinnegan can cripple you if you're not careful, as Pein learnt, and the Mangekyo sends you blind from overuse unless you combine your eyes with a close genetic match through unspecified means. Also there is something overpowered you can do with the Byakugan that you can't with the others, which is you can target Chakra points and permanently cripple opponents with a touch, or if you have enough chakra control from extreme distances. If it hadn't been for the fact that Naruto has the fox he would've died or at least permanently lost his ability to be a Ninja in that fight Neji in the Chunin exams. Additionally the Byakugan can kill people by targetting the Chakra point at the heart or brain, which is instantly fatal if done right from my understanding.

Admittedly anyone could theoretically learn the techniques but the Byakugan makes them accurate and actually usable on combat.

There's something neat about Kisame and Killer Bee by the way. If you hit people with Samehada it actually drains Chakra, which is what it's unique power is. Kisame is great because he's actually an okay guy for a horrifying murderer who looks like a shark. If you had to work with a member of the Akatsuki he's the one you want because he will complete the job and do so whilst ensuring you survive unless your sacrifice is necessary.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 6, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Gologle posted:

It's worth noting (haha, no it isn't) that that Hanzo guy is the duder who defeated Jiraiya, Tsunade, and snake dick dude when they were young tough sprouts. So Mifune's about as tough as all three of them confirmed.

As I recall they were the first team to ever survive a fight against him with no casualties and make him work hard to take them down, so he declared them to be the Legendary three Ninja of Konoha. That's the start of their tale essentially and they were just Genin. For reference he was so deadly that even as the only real Ninja in his land the other Villages wouldn't fight him without a really loving good reason and expected at least 50% casualty rate in a war against him.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

On the bringing Zabuza back it's basically that Kabuto and Tobi are on one side and literally the entire Ninja World is on the other. Their solution is to mass raise every vaguely impressive Ninja from the last 100 years. In the manga as I recall Zabuza is actually told to hang back by the other Swordsmen because he's the best at the Mist Field Jutsu, and ultimately he's mostly good at ensuring kills that the others set up over personally fighting. The Mist Field also makes them all way deadlier because it vastly tips combat in their favour because they train constantly in it.

Also yeah Sasuke still leads his little ninja team and so Suigetsu at this point has been made to give the Decapitating Carving Knife back, funnily enough this is also where we learn that it literally drinks blood to rebuild itself as it's returned basically snapped in half and Zabuza's response is to stab someone from memory.

The Seven Swordsmen in general amuse me because they aren't individually that dangerous, but as a team they're probably capable of killing Pein if they know what they're up against. Also every past member met in the anime travels with a younger male of a nearly dead clan with a powerful bloodline.

The swords are pretty silly too, I think I've mentioned it before but they're all pretty weird. The three most normal are Zabuza's, which drinks blood, then the Sewing Needle that has a giant spool of wire attached, you stab it throw people and tie them up in little bundles, and the twin-swords that are imbued with Lightning and can supposedly cut through anything. Then you have the other stuff, the Bluntsword, the Splash Sword that explodes when you hit people with it. Lastly you have the really weird ones, neither of which are in this fight, Kisame's blade which eats chakra and can change size, and the only sword still under the control of the Hidden Village of the Mist, which has 2 handles and can be morphed into any shape the wielder wants through Chakra.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Homing Lasers is actually a combination of two elemental natures, like Haku's ice made from water and wind, it's storm and it's made from lightning and water.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

On the discussion about how a bunch of characters would be far more interesting as main characters than Naruto I argue Naruto himself would be more interesting if Sasuke and the Uchiha hadn't swallowed the plot with their black hole eyeball powers, much like they can apparently swallow themselves.

Most of the really awful stuff in the manga/anime can be tied back into the increasing importance/power of the Uchiha and Sasuke. I don't know if I've said it before in this thread but I'd have liked the show more if it never made it about saving the world, and instead just shifted focus between different teams from Konoha and sometimes the other villages and we just got to watch Ninja being Ninja in this world. No villain should have ever been more powerful/important than Orochimaru and maybe Pein, if you need a real final villain style thing.

As it is the Fourth Ninja World War is ridiculous and just gets worse from memory.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Itachi is perhaps the most obvious place where the writer wants a character to be the coolest and greatest but has already written him as a monster. So he keeps adding newer and newer ways to make Itachi the most awesome dude ever and not a man who mentally traumatised his younger brother so hard that it permanently damaged his psyche and memories of the event.

Then when said brother looked like he was getting over the trauma he did it again, entirely so that Sasuke would have the conviction to kill Itachi and thus make the Uchiha great again.

See Itachi works as a guy who wanted to test himself so badly that he slaughtered his entire clan in one night to do so, that's a good idea for a very personal villain for one of the main characters of a manga/anime. It also lets you study the pursuit of strength in a world where people have mystical powers.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It's not just unbreakable, it's also impossible for the target to realise it's happened. It reaches into someone's mind and fundamentally changes something. Danzo did it earlier this game in fact to try and take the position of leader of the combined ninja forces.

Itachi set it to implant the command to protect Konoha, so if it went off on Sasuke it would've allowed Naruto to drag him back without any trouble. As it is it didn't actually do anything to Itachi because he was already super loyal to Konoha, but it does actually interrupt the Chakra flow Kabuto uses to control his zombies, because of how deep the Genjutsu goes.

It's Inception Jutsu basically without needing to do a bunch of science bullshit.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Tsunade is literally bisected down the middle and I think still manages to heal herself, it's very silly regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Technically they all have restrictions. The Mangyeko Sharingan only gives three of the potentially unknown number of horseshit powers it has. One is used by the Right Eye, one by the Left Eye and one by Both Eyes. When you transplant another set of Sharingan to get the Eternal Mangyeko Sharingan you also get the powers of those eyes.

Danzo is some sort of cheating jackass though, as the cost of one of his powers is to close an eye altogether, he just shunts which eye he's closing off to one of the ones in his arm.

• Locked thread