Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.
How do people feel about main character dialogue in CYOA games? I think I've noticed there's a big difference between how the current crop of CYOA writers handle it. I think they're equally valid but accomplish different ends. In the Paradise Lost and Viking games for example, there tended to be relatively little main character speech in the main posts, whereas in Talos and some of the 40k ones there's a bit more banter and less micro-management of what's said. Mutants: Uprising seems to sway between narrative updates and dialogue updates.

I feel like having less main character dialogue is more "immersive" because "what's actually being said" is sort of handled off-screen via player write-in questions and such. They also seem to be more strongly second-person (more "you"). And I guess in the more dialogue-heavy games it feels a bit more fast-paced. I'm wondering what else people think about those approaches.

Also, I've been planning the start of a late antiquity fantasy thing if I ever get the time. Resource recommendations appreciated. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Thanks for the insights, guys. I think it's really interesting how CYOAs have become popular. These kinds of forums seem like an oddly logical place for them to thrive.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

I'm doing a Midjourney (text-to-image AI) dark fantasy CYOA game here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4010423

Let's make lots of precious memories.

Ceramic Shot fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 20, 2022