Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

RareAcumen posted:

Bingo on the other hand I could never exploit.

Yeah, same. Next time I record I might have to do some tests with savestates and the slowdown button, assuming Dolphin has one. Might be fun to see if there's a way to reliably exploit the reels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Really excited to see an SSLP for this game, as I just started to replay the original Paper Mario and wish desperately the sequel was on the eShop. The formatting is great and I'm glad you're packing in lots of flavor text, too. Bookmarked!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Because Rogueport is a hub town, you can come back and fight Gus any time, right? It seems like you're supposed to take him on with... well, with less of a jump-based partner, for one thing. Poor Goombella. I'd figure her hard hat would protect against spikes. Unless she doesn't want to break it so she just facetanks everything.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Glazius posted:

Because Rogueport is a hub town, you can come back and fight Gus any time, right? It seems like you're supposed to take him on with... well, with less of a jump-based partner, for one thing. Poor Goombella. I'd figure her hard hat would protect against spikes. Unless she doesn't want to break it so she just facetanks everything.

Considering 20 health isn't really thaaaaaaat much in this game, yeah, a normal first-time player who doesn't want to bash their head against that wall would probably wait until the first chapter is beaten before taking him on.

I've honestly never put him off for longer than that so if he has some special dialogue for if you keep paying to pass him, I have no idea.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Link To This Update By Itself

Hello everyone. Today's update is gonna be a really short one. Why? Oh, no reason. I'm certainly not trying to stretch a thin amount of content out across two days while I wait for Amazon to ship me a new gamepad. That would be ridiculous! Why would you make such an accurate outrageous and specific claim?

https://fat.gfycat.com/TornGlitteringGentoopenguin.webm

I'll never tire of the chapter intros for this game. Anyway, today we're visiting Petal Meadows.

!!!Petal Meadows!!!

This track is a must-listen. It's a pretty nice remix of the Mario theme.

: Well, here we are! The Petal Meadows, where folks say a Crystal Star hides. Woo hoo! Here we go, Mario! The start of our adventure! This is completely awesome!

: Ah, the Petal Meadows. A plateau surrounded by hills far to the east of Rogueport. It's mild and pleasant here all year round. I love it! Doesn't it feel nice? ...Oh, hey, and Mario? If you hit a tree, sometimes something good falls out. I know that came out of left field, but I mean it! If you see a tree, smack it!

To illustrate that tattle, we get rewarded for doing just that.

Continuing on to the right, we can see an obvious slot that a crescent-shaped object is missing from. We'll be back here in several updates, so just keep this in the back of your mind for now.

Hooktail Flies Over

A massive shadow also passes over us. That's certainly not ominous...

: Whoa! What was that? Ooh! Is that a... wow! Mario! Look!!!

https://fat.gfycat.com/OptimisticPoliticalAxisdeer.webm

: Totally incredible... I've never seen anything that humongous before. It looked kinda scary, too. Weird... Professor Frankly said this place was peaceful. Wow! Crazy! We just started and there's already intrigue! C'mon, Mario! Let's go!

Nothing else to do on this screen. So onto the next one.

: Ah, the Petal Meadows. The scenery's super-nice, but careful of all the Goombas. Make sure you've always got enough HP and FP to fight, will ya? Oh, and you can press to check your stats, too.

See that red box?

Here's a better look. By the way, I'm cutting out 90% of the fights unless it's something we haven't seen before. There's no point in showing five different combinations of Goombas.

Anyway. The red box.

Red boxes always have badges inside. This particular badge will sometimes cause you to dodge an attack if your health is critically low. There's a whole bunch of badges that do all kinds of things when your health is that low. The popular term for the setup is the "Danger Mario build" and it turns this already pretty easy game into an absolute cakewalk.

A little past the red box we find a pipe.

We can't reach this badge yet. If I'm not mistaken, that badge causes your health to slowly regenerate.

Next screen... Like I said, I'm cutting out 99% of the cruft. So you're not missing much. Just like two or three goomba fights.

: The river running through here totally makes the air crisp and refreshing. Hey, and by the way, Mario, have you tried checking the grass around here? Sometimes those clumps of grass hide good stuff, so always check them with !

Jumping forward a bit, we're up to 97 experience points now. We also just earned 13. You know what that means?

Level Up

https://fat.gfycat.com/UnacceptableSafeDaddylonglegs.webm

In this game you really can't grind out levels. After a certain point, enemies start giving 1 EXP per kill. That effectively means each area will level you up just enough to keep combat interesting. The amount of experience gained also jumps with each new chapter, so spending extra time in old content doesn't help you a lot either. You'll quickly catch up to the new "recommended" level just staying with the story. While you can get up to a maximum of level 99, I've never personally done it. Doing so requires going into the depths of the bonus dungeon, and gently caress that noise.

Anyway, here's the three options at level up. They're all pretty self-explanatory.

The generally accepted strategy for this game is to always choose BP at level up. It's one of those things ingrained in the subconscious of the game playing public - in a Paper Mario game you always choose BP at level up. The actual reason why varies. Personally I like to swap out badges based on the situation, and having a Swiss Army Mario is pretty neat.

Plus you can find badges all over the game that increase your max HP and FP, and they cost 3 BP each. And if you, for whatever reason, wanted to do a Danger Mario run, this is also the way you accomplish just that. It turns out if you never level up your max HP, then it's pretty easy to stay in the Danger Zone.

If it weren't obvious from the previous two paragraphs, all the level ups in this LP will be selecting the BP option.

Anyway, Goombella mentioned rifling through tufts of grass. These little green protrusions are grass. Search and...

A coin pops out! Now, you're not gonna find coins in every tuft of grass you look in, but it never hurts to take time to search all of the ones you come across. More often than not, you'll find something worthwhile.

The big, obviously-different grass in the back is where we should be searching, by the way.

Puzzle Solved

The grass slides apart and a pipe rises up out of the ground.

The pipe spits us out in the background of the map. This happens quite frequently throughout the game. You may recall some buildings in the background of the Rogueport sewers. We can actually go in those buildings at some point.

We'd see this eventually, but if you continue past the switch, you can find a star piece sitting on a hill.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ImpartialSpryCanary.webm

I'm not exactly happy with this WebM. It didn't emulate properly in the first place, thus the hitchy framerate at the start. It also randomly cuts off 75% through the animation for no real reason. I left it in because I do like the building animation, however.

Anyway, the finished bridge looks like this. You can click on the highlights video at the end to see the whole thing in motion.

On the far side of the river we can find a mystery present item. This present, when used in battle, randomly chooses any item in the game and uses that. So you can get absolutely anything happening. More often than not, it doesn't help very much.

Anyway, this gate here marks the end of the update. Next time we're gonna spend an entire update exploring a small town. After that? We'll continue on with the story in earnest.

Video: Hooktail Flies Over, Level Up!, Bridge

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I don't like to do all BP, especially in the early game with few badges: I generally get HP for the first two levels and then focus on BP, doing FP every now and again with about 35 at endgame. Maybe I just spread myself out a bit though, I know that a lot of BP can lead to some really ludicrous things.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I usually picked my levelups in both games based on what I'd found myself wanting the most since the last one. Usually seems to work out roughly balanced between the three, but leaning more and more toward BP in the later chapters.

I can definitely see how all-BP could work well, though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
BP gives so much more than the other two stats. Badges have so many benefits since they're your main form of customization. Though yeah at the beginning I like to stick with a few HP and FP upgrades before going all in on BP.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think anything other than BP is a waste because of the HP/FP badges.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
HP/FP badges aren't exactly in infinite supply, though. Having enough of each to get filled up by common restoratives probably isn't a bad idea.

Though yeah, having one stat that is effectively "everything else" - buffs, special moves, special effects -- makes it a ridiculously tempting pick.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Is the HP threshold to activate the danger badges fixed or based on percentage of max HP? You said it's easier to keep low HP if you don't upgrade it, so I'm guessing fixed?

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Aithon posted:

Is the HP threshold to activate the danger badges fixed or based on percentage of max HP? You said it's easier to keep low HP if you don't upgrade it, so I'm guessing fixed?
It's 5HP for most of them, and 1HP for a few. So staying at 10 would make it pretty easy. (And I believe it's actually possible to lower your maximum HP to 5, but I might be thinking of the first game.)

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Quantum Toast posted:

It's 5HP for most of them, and 1HP for a few. So staying at 10 would make it pretty easy. (And I believe it's actually possible to lower your maximum HP to 5, but I might be thinking of the first game.)

Nope it's absolutely possible to sacrifice HP and FP on the altar of badges.

And you should.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I know badges are the most important stat, but I still prefer to have a nice cushion of HP and FP.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Geostomp posted:

I know badges are the most important stat, but I still prefer to have a nice cushion of HP and FP.

I find it doesn't matter much when you have a good chance to autododge most things and take halved or less damage when you do get hit, if you don't just outright murder everything on turn one, and all your moves cost 1 FP and you regen FP on hitting stuff.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I always happened to enjoy the opening music to a chapter, gave it more of an air of mystery or something; I never really experimented with different badge builds, maybe I'll do that next time I play

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Wait, do your partners actually have health this time around?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Yep. It's a huge improvement from the first game where any hit they took would knock them out of the fight for a turn or three.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
A new Paper Mario game for the WiiU, Paper Mario: Color Splash, was just announced in a Nintendo Direct. :toot:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 4, 2016

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Dr. Fetus posted:

A new Paper Mario game for the WiiU, Paper Mario: Color Splash, was just announced in a Nintendo Direct. :toot:

And it's another loving gimmick battle system like Sticker Star instead of a proper RPG system like this and the original.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I hope they learned something from Stickershock, as long as it isn't 100% based on consumables to attack it can't be worse.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone. Today's update is gonna introduce us to the first town of the game. Shall we get started?

Petalburg

That's a little too zoomed in. How about...

Petalburg City R/S/E
Petalburg City ORAS

Yeah, that's much better. Now, contrary to how things usually are, we're entering this map from the left. Usually you enter from the right, over next to the Pokécenter. And... wait a second... that's not right. That's not right at all!

All joking aside, there isn't really a map for this area. Though it's fairly simple. It's your stereotypical small town in a JRPG, with the only difference being this one has more than five residents all repeating Welcome to Corneria.

The awkward camera angle really makes it look like the aspect ratio on this image is screwy.

But it looks fine here. Stupid letterboxing. :shrug:

: Welcome, travelers!
: ...
: Hm? Where are you, you ask? Why, this is Petalburg! Sorry, but it's been a long time since we've had visitors here. We're kind of remote. Yeppity, once that dragon Hooktail was spotted flying around this area... Well, it didn't help tourism, put it that way. People just stopped visiting.
: Dragon? Hooktail? That must've been that huge thing we saw earlier, Mario! So, it's called Hooktail, huh? Oooooh, scary name! Pffffft! So anyway, Green Boots, have you ever heard of these things called Crystal Stars? We're on this quest for them. It's very important!

If you manage to walk away from this update and you don't think Goombella is the best, then I don't know what to tell you.

: Crystal Stars, you say? Hmmm... Nope, can't say that I have. Sorry about that. You might want to speak with the mayor, though. He's old... Really, really old. As such, he knows all kinds of stuff we don't. Koopas of his age, are... um... really smart. Anyway, the mayor lives in that pink house up ahead. You should go check it out.
: A pink house? Sounds totally hideous... but it should be easy to find. Thanks for your help!

: That's a Petalburg Koopa. He seems sorta like the spokesperson for this town. I heard this guy's thinking of running for mayor. He must be more ambitious than he looks.

: This is Petalburg. It's nice and warm here, and the air is sooo clean... Such a peaceful hamlet... There's a shop and an inn, so you buy stuff and rest. Oh, and one more thing... The river's pretty, but fall in and Nibbles will getcha!

The Inn is directly above us, so let's stop in for a second.

: That's the Petalburg innkeeper. She'll take care of you when you're hurting. Don't get all proud and overdo it out there... I mean, everyone has their limits. Hey, and staying at an inn will even refill your Star Power! Doesn't that rule?

That's super useful! The first star ability, Sweet Treat, is nice. But the real fun starts with the second ability, which we'll get at the end of this chapter. That ability remains useful throughout the entire game. But that's getting super ahead of ourselves.

: Wow, you're super-duper lucky it didn't see you! I'm not even kidding with you. If it'd seen you, I'm sure it would've gobbled you up like an after-dinner mint. It must've been stuffed or thought you looked gross... At any rate, you were lucky.

: That's a Toad from Petalburg. He seems like, totally obsessed with Hooktail. Then again, he looks kinda like everything freaks him out. Poor little guy...

: There's this one game that just absolutely rules. It's called "Fire Emblem"... You ever heard of it? Man, it ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!

: This kid sure is a fanatic. All he talks about is video games, you notice that? I wonder if he's finished his homework for today? Y'know, homework's important, too!

Fire Emblem is indeed a great game. That link is also a pro read if you're like me and aren't very good at older FE titles.

: I live in solitude, always. I must apologize, but I ask that you leave me alone.

: That's General White, the Bob-omb. I guess white Bob-ombs are pretty rare. He has a cool mustache, too. He might even give your lip fuzz a run for its money!

This is inside the house behind General White.

: Hey, uh... Well, come on in, I guess! Door's open! Oh, Hooktail? It lives at the top of that old castle beyond this hummock. Have you heard the rumors? Some say lots of treasure is hidden in that castle. Scores of people have gone in search of it, but... not a one has returned. So... what do you think? You're getting scared, huh?

: This guy's apparently a total die-hard Peach fan. He even collects Peach merchandise! He has posters and pictures up everywhere. Boy, get a life, know what I mean? Hey! Mario! Don't tell me YOU have a secret collection of plush Peach dolls, too!

Over in the shop next...

: Come in, come in! Welcome! Welcome to Niff T.'s shop!

: That's Niff T., the manager of the shop. You can buy and sell items in here. I gotta say, he reminds me of the guys in the Rogueport shop... Yeah, real similar... Hmmm... Maybe it's just me... Or maybe I should just... not worry about it!

Prices look to be a little better at this shop, but not by much.

: 4 coins.
: 5 coins.
: (Mr. Softener) Softens up enemies for a bit, decreasing their Defense. 8 coins.
: (Courage Shell) Gives your partner courage to boost his or her Defense. 5 coins.
: (POW Block) Attacks all ground-bound enemies. 5 coins.
: 8 coins.

We already know about the Mushroom, Honey Syrup, and the Fire Flower. But, you can't go wrong with any of these items. They're all quite good.

The Courage Shell raises either Mario or his partner's defense by 3. Remember a couple updates ago what I said about defense in this game. In this chapter using a Courage Shell in battle means we simply won't be taking any damage.

Mr. Softener works the opposite way a Courage Shell does. It strips away 3 defense from its target. This is incredibly broken. If an enemy doesn't have 3 defense? Well their defense drops into the negatives, meaning our attacks will deal that much more damage. drops to zero.

Edit after-the-fact: The loving wiki lied to me.

The POW Block is kind of boring compared to the other two. When used in battle, it deals a flat 2 damage to anything on screen and penetrates through defenses. It's still super useful, don't get me wrong, but not as absurdly broken as its two other friends.

Anyway, we don't purchase anything yet. Soon, though.

Back outside, we find this fellow.

: No, no, no, no, no. Not you, Monsieur Mustache. I am speaking to zee lovely leetle cabbage behind you. What do you say, my pretty? Abandon zis dullard and come away with moi!

:allears:

: Oh! Oh! Oh! Sacre bleu! Such brutal 'onesty! Such a sharp tongue! Well, I retreat for now. If you change your mind, cheri, come find me!
: What a total sleaze! Let's go somewhere else, Mario!

: ...EWWWWWW!!! What's with this guy, huh?!? It grosses me out just being NEAR this weirdo! ...All right, fine, whatever. His name is Dupree. He's this icky guy who tries to sweet-talk everybody. ...There, no more!

Looking over the tattle script I have saved, I apparently missed an NPC on the previous screen. He's one of those flower dudes we can see in front of Mario. I'll grab his information the next time I record.

: This is Petalburg. The warm weather makes the locals laid-back and happy. Wow, and talk about unique personalities... Very... individualistic, to put it nicely. Or, not so nicely... Downright kooky...

: This village is very nice. Clear water, clean air... Absolutely delicious. But this foul Hooktail... It's made everyone forget their fortunes. How sad.

: That's a Bub-ulb, a talking flower. I think he lives in Petalburg. I know he's a plant, but he makes more sense than these other crazy Petalburgers!

: I'm actually worried the old gipper may even forget my face one of these days!

: That's a Petalburg Koopa. He always seems to be worried about something. It's weird, too, 'cause the rest of this town is so laid-back, y'know?

This is the Mayor's house. We'll circle back around to it after we finish exploring the town and meeting the locals.

: ...Omigosh! That hat! Those overalls! And... And that magnificent mustache! You're Mario, aren't you? I've heard tales of how strong you are. If you're here, that means... You're going to challenge that monstrous Hooktail! Ohhhhhhhhhhhh... If only Koops were as brave as you...

: That's Koopie Koo, a local Petalburger. She seems to be Koops's girlfriend. Gosh, she's really cute... and she seems to have a good head on her, too. Thing is, because she's smart, she kinda mothers Koops a little bit... I guess it's a complicated relationship. But then again, what relationship isn't?

: I mean, normal attacks are completely useless against it! At least, that's what I heard. Oh, and that's not all! Fire attacks are ALSO useless! The very idea freaks me out!

: That's a Toad from Petalburg. He just seems like a regular Toad to me... But I hear he leads a secret life as president of the Luigi Fan Club!

: At least, it MIGHT live there. This gate is to keep it out. My job... is guarding the gate.

: That's the gatekeeper of Petalburg. He's super-dutiful about guarding this gate. But I bet he'd totally run for cover if real monsters ever did show up here... I just get a feeling about him. Goomba's intuition, maybe?

In the house behind the gatekeeper...

: All time, I mean. I heard it recently lunched on old man Skoo two villages over... And Koops, who lives next door? His father went off to battle Hooktail ages ago. He's been a missing person... No, wait, that's not right... A missing KOOPA ever since!

: That's Toce T., a Toad from Petalburg. She seems really huffy about something. She sure does keep a straight face, though. I guess she's a pretty tough cookie...

The Toadette portrait isn't exactly accurate, but it's the only female toad picture I can find anywhere. So it should work for most cases.

These three ladies are the TTYD analogues of a similar set of traveling sisters from the first game. They'll more-or-less follow our progress through the game, often popping up in the town for whatever chapter we visit. So get used to seeing them!

: Hey hey hey! It's us: the happy wanderers, the Traveling Sisters 3!
: This village is famous for its clear water, clean air, and one more thing...
: That big, bad Hooktail! We can't wait to see it~!

The tilde means a musical note in case you wondered.

: These are the Traveling Sisters 3. They seem to go everywhere together. They seem so ditzy, though. Do they even notice each new place they wind up in?

: These are the Traveling Sisters 3. They seem to go everywhere together. Sounds nice. Y'know, traveling. I wish I had time to travel with friends from school...

: These are the Traveling Sisters 3. It looks like they're having fun. They seem to just flit off to each new place without really exploring anywhere.

This is the house that Koopie Koo is standing in front of. That makes this...

: Um... Hi there, folks. Did you come to this village to look for the treasure of Hooktail's castle?
: ......
: Well... that Hooktail is one tough cookie.

: That's Koops, from Petalburg. He's got confidence issues... He's a... cringer, y'know? But he's definitely got a serious interest in Hooktail... I wonder why?

It was at this point that I discovered some NPCs have additional dialogue if you talk to them again. It was also at this point that I realized that going back for all of it was nuts. For reference, here's Koopie Koo's second set of dialogue.

: My boyfriend Koops is just sort of, well.. wishy-washy. He's not quite timid, but... Well, I guess I just wish he would be more, you know, MANLY sometimes. Ohhhh... Koops... Why did I have to fall for someone like him?

: Wait... Was that out loud? Don't you dare tell him I said I've fallen for him! Please! I beg of you!

Let's just... go to the mayor's house.

Much better. Now, here's some ample warning. Kroop is the elderly mayor of this town. You know what an elderly person in this game means. Yep. Time for a bunch of dialogue.

: Hmph? Whuzzat? Someone there? Who is it? WHO?!? What do you want from me? I know! You're thieves! Here to rob a defenseless old Koopa! Despicable!

Go on, do what you will... but as you can plainly see, there's nothing to steal here. Oh, I guess I have a little money... Take it, you fiends. And my antique shell, too. Just leave the photos of me and the missus. Can't do without those memories...
: What? Not thieves, you say? Well, what's your story, then? Oh, wait... You folks looking for Crystal Stars?
: *nods*
: Well, why didn't you pipe up before, you ijit? We're just wasting time, here! The Crystal Stars you say you're hunting... Errrmm... Wait... What did I hear about those dang things, again? Aha! Got it! Hooktail! Hooktail's got what you're looking for!

Be sure to read the dialogue above the selection box. That includes for the screenshots below. You might otherwise miss some of what he's saying. For as much as I like to complain about how much some of the NPCs like to talk, this is pretty drat funny.

: Well, this Hooktail's brutal fly-by snackings have all of us on pins and needles.

: This DOES sound promising! Why, if you can rid us of Hooktail, we'll shower you with gratitude and rewards.

: What an unselfish man! You're noble, indeed... Yup, a good egg. Now... what did you say your name was, again?
: ...Murphy?

: I appreciate that, Murphy! They ARE nice eyebrows. Now, listen up. If you're intent on going to Hooktail's castle, find the secret pipe near this village. I don't know where it's at, but I know you need stone keys to use that pipe. The keys are somewhere in Shhwonk Fortress, just past the village. Get them first. Well then, Murphy... Get going and take care of that Hooktail monster!

: That's Kroop, the mayor of Petalburg. He just babbles, whether he's alone or not. I just can't tell if he's really senile, or if he's just working that angle, y'know?

He's totally working that angle.

You've Got Mail!

This happens on our way to the gate in town.

: You got an e-mail. As you travel, you may receive e-mail from people you've met on your journey. You can read these e-mails on your Mailbox SP. Press START/PAUSE to access the menu and check your e-mail. You'll find it under Important Things on your Gear screen.

Why is it that games that I do screenshot LPs of inevitably have some online component? Anyway, starting from the bottom...

: 01 Frankly: E-mail

Hello, Mario! Working hard? Professor Frankly here, in e-mail form!

It's highly likely you'll receive e-mails like this one while you're on your journey, so check your mail often!

I actually have nothing more to say than that, so I hope all goes well for you, and I look forward to getting more information on those Crystal Stars!

Professor Frankly.

: 02 RDM Registration

Direct Mail Verification

Dear Mr. MARIO!
Thanks for registering with Rogueport Direct Mail (RDM) service.

Your kind friend, MR. FRANKLY, referred you to us.

Our direct mail service will provide you with regular, timely news updates. We hope you enjoy our service!

Published by Rogueport Restoration Committee

Anyway, that's enough for now. That's also the end of my recorded footage. So...

Join me next time when we start exploring the Shhwonk Fortress!

No highlights this time. However... this is gonna instantly date this LP for anyone reading this after the fact, but Paper Mario: Color Splash was announced at today's Nintendo Direct. So that's pretty awesome!

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 8, 2016

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

My new controller arrived, so I'm gonna be recording to the end of Chapter 1 this weekend. Do you guys have anything in particular you'd like me to show off?

I'll be using savestates to show off the dialogue for what happens in the boss fight. So don't worry too much about that.

ETA: Naturally only using savestates to show off the dialogue. The fight itself I'm gonna do legit.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 4, 2016

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

DoubleNegative posted:

My new controller arrived, so I'm gonna be recording to the end of Chapter 1 this weekend. Do you guys have anything in particular you'd like me to show off?

I'll be using savestates to show off the dialogue for what happens in the boss fight. So don't worry too much about that.

ETA: Naturally only using savestates to show off the dialogue. The fight itself I'm gonna do legit.

If you could use items more often than a normal player would, that would be awesome. I never used soft or the shell, I never even knew about the -defense, I just thought it made it 0.

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

I'd like to see the all of the different questions you can get in the upcoming section, there are a couple funny choices for the answers.

Also, I never figured out the chapter 1 boss' weakness the first time I played this, which actually made it a challenging battle. Could you show off the difference between doing it the easy or the hard way?

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

The Courage Shell raises either Mario or his partner's defense by 3. Remember a couple updates ago what I said about defense in this game. In this chapter using a Courage Shell in battle means we simply won't be taking any damage.

Mr. Softener works the opposite way a Courage Shell does. It strips away 3 defense from its target. This is incredibly broken. If an enemy doesn't have 3 defense? Well their defense drops into the negatives, meaning our attacks will deal that much more damage.
I've never used either of these items, and now I'm not sure why. Maybe I always assumed they couldn't be that good? I had no idea about the negative defense, anyway.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I would like to see you showing off the items, just in general. I mean, it's tempting to just let the combat system take care of everything, but all those items are in shops and all.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I've finished recording to the end of Chapter 1. Future screenshots should also be a lot clearer thanks to changing up my recording method.

Southhouse- posted:

I'd like to see the all of the different questions you can get in the upcoming section, there are a couple funny choices for the answers.

Also, I never figured out the chapter 1 boss' weakness the first time I played this, which actually made it a challenging battle. Could you show off the difference between doing it the easy or the hard way?

Glazius posted:

I would like to see you showing off the items, just in general. I mean, it's tempting to just let the combat system take care of everything, but all those items are in shops and all.

I got as many of the quiz show questions as the game would let me see. I'll poke at some FAQs to see if there's a comprehensive list of them out there.

I recorded the boss fight twice. The second time I did so without using its weakness. It was pretty nice being challenged by a fight in this game. I definitely blew through a large portion of my stack of items, too. Used and showed a bunch of them off.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

How does Goombella hold her journal when she's reading from it? How does she write in it? Realistically, a goomba shouldn't be able to hold a book.

I'm taking the piss, this is a rad LP.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone. Today's update is pretty dense, so let's not waste any time getting started. You may also notice a marked increase in picture quality from here on out. While it's a shame that Dxtory can't capture video from Dolphin, Fraps has no similar hangups with OpenGL mode in the emulator.

This fellow is the plant I missed last time. Let's say hello.

: Top of the morning! 'Tis I, Bub-ulber. I am as happy as can be! Why? Simply because I'm surrounded by flowers!

: That's Bub-ulber. Doesn't it kinda weird you out to see a talking flower? I mean, where's his head? Is it the flower part? ...Or the bulb part?

Anyway, to start off, we're gonna backtrack quite a long ways.

See? I told you. We're way back in the Rogueport sewers. This is the chamber next to where we met that black chest. You can see the little mouse hole where that strange creature ran and hid. Anyway, jump up at this spot and...

I wish I could claim that I found this on my own, but I honestly had no idea it was even here. Forums user ManlyGrunting mentioned this earlier in the thread. This badge is pretty rad, and in the two and a half hours I played the other night, it procced several times.

Fast forwarding back to Petalburg, this koopa has some new dialogue after we've talked to Kroop.

: Umm... Excuse me! Err... I beg your pardon! Wait a moment, PLEASE!!!

: Pardon me for yelling like that... I was panicking. Umm... How to begin? M-My name's... Koops. I heard you're traveling to Hooktail's castle. So, anyway, I uh... I have a favor to ask.

I read somewhere once that a character who only says an ellipsis should be read as them farting. Given that knowledge, re-read the above screenshot.

: Well... Ummmm... Oh, just... Just forget it. Never mind. Ignore me. Good... Good-bye.
: OOOOOO-K... That was weird... What do you think THAT was all about? Talk about issues!

: This path leads to Shhwonk Fortress. ...Is it just me, or is this area darker? There are enemies around, so if you feel weak, remember to take it easy, OK?

Let's just move on. Maybe Koops will find his spine eventually.

There's a star piece in this grass tuft.

There's only one new enemy on the path. Look at how rad-bad this dude is. He's got a studded leather collar and black shades.

4 HP is the most we've seen on a random battle so far.

But koopa troopas are super easy to keep locked down. You can jump on their heads to flip them over, and they stay down for I want to say 2 turns. When they get back up, they spend their entire turn doing so, which is why they're super easy to keep locked down.

There's a bunch of encounters on this screen, but it's just koopa troopas with varying combinations of paragoombas and spike goombas. So nothing really worth pointing out. This box, though...

We're gonna need this POW block in a minute.

: This is part of Shhwonk Fortress. We got a couple pedestals here. That's it. It looks pretty decent, but this place is actually insanely old, did you know that? I'd say it was built about... a thousand years ago. Yup. What vibrant ruins!

The door on the far side of the chamber is locked. The "puzzle" we need to do is to...

Just talk to the pedestal with the weird rock on top. They jump down and rush at us.

Well, you heard the lady.

The game obviously means for you to use the POW block here.

We've got 93 star points, and just got 10 from this battle. You know what that means! :toot:

All this BP may seem like overkill now, but before too long we're gonna be running out.

: This is the path to Shhwonk Fortress. The air here's a bit stale, don'tcha think? Oh, yeah, and listen, Mario... Remember, you don't have to attack every enemy you see. If you have low HP, you might just wanna avoid them. That's Exploring 101, y'know?

This screen is much the same as the previous outdoor area. The encounters do ramp up here, though.

This is probably the first encounter where the game really ramps things up. Of course, because they're just koopas they still go down like a sack of bricks.

This POW Block is hidden in the tuft of grass near the next fortress room.

: This is part of Shhwonk Fortress. We got a couple pedestals here. That's it. Still, to archaeologists, this place is a gold mine. I gotta come back sometime...

Unlike in the last room, the POW Block is absolutely necessary in order to advance here.

4 defense means this thing is all but impervious to our attacks. It's also spiky, which means we can't jump on it. And it will shoot us with spikes if we try to smack it with a hammer. The only recourse is to use the POW block we just found.

: This is the path to Shhwonk Fortress. The main entrance is just over there. There's a recovery block there, too. If your HP and FP are low, hit it, OK?

In this game, very few items are utterly worthless. This Inn Coupon is one such item. All it does is save you a small handful of coins. The Petalburg Inn cost a whole 5 coins to sleep in.

This block also costs 5 coins to use, and it does more-or-less the same thing. If you hit this block, your HP and FP are fully recharged, and you're charged the amount displayed. These blocks aren't too terribly common, and usually signify that you're near a boss fight.

: This is Shhwonk Fortress. Suspicious statue... I'm pretty sure it's a Thwomp bust. Hey, I just remembered something I read about this place in a book! Whenever the villagers were confronted with a monster, they'd hide in this fortress... I guess there's a little bit of history everywhere you look, huh, Mario?

You can also see a save block in the background. The presence of a recovery block and a save point should clue you in that you should probably save and recharge.

: Mmmm hmmm hoo ha ha! You're the first contestants I've seen in a while. If you've come all the way here to Shhwonk Fortress, you must want stone keys. And if THAT'S the case, you must compete against me. If you win, I'll let you through to where the stone keys rest. However, if you lose, you will suffer a terrible fate. And by "terrible," I mean awful.

: Mmmm hmmm hoo ha ha! You're in for it now!

Super Fun Quirk Quiz

: Perk up those ears! If you correctly answer five of the following questions, you win! But get three of 'em wrong, and you'll suffer a cruel and unusual punishment.
: Now... for the first question!

Question! (Super Fun Quirk Quiz)

It's Princess Peach, right? :downs: Stone Keys

: Mmmm hmmm hoo ha ha! WRONG! Wrong wrong wrong! You fools! Remember: if you get three wrong, you're going to suffer like you wouldn't believe. Mmmm hmmm hoo ha ha! Don't let the pressure get to you!
: On to question two!

We learned this in the last update. The correct answer is 16 coins! This is also likely the only question that will trip up someone playing the game casually and not bothering with item shops.

: AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! That's... correct! That question was too easy... But it only gets harder from here! Much harder! ...So prepare yourself!
: Moving on! Question three!

Burtle the turtle, right? Kroop

: You blithering meathead! You're WROOOOOONG again!!! Get one more wrong, and something wonderfully awful happens to you! Just ONE MORE wrong! Mmmm hmmm hoo ha ha! What's that I hear? Your little knees knocking?
: We're not done yet, folks! Question four!

Mayor Kroop told us last time that it is likely in Hooktail Castle. Also Mushville is probably not a real place.

: AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! That's... correct! That question was too easy... But it only gets harder from here! Much harder! ...So prepare yourself!
: Are you ready for the diabolical question five?

There's no reason to get this one wrong. We took a pipe to get here!

: On to question six!

We've never seen a fuzzy, but if you think back to some older screenshots, you can plainly see that koopa troopas have hands.

: AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! Right again! Tell me you didn't just get your fourth right answer! It can't be true! That's it! I'm making the rest of these near impossible! Get ready for brain pain!
: Now for the last question!

Simply remembering that the last question was #6 and you can get this one right. Or, if you've forgotten that, just look at the number on top of the booth Mario and Goombella are in.

: NOOOOO!!! AAARRRGGGHHH!!! That's... that's right! You correctly answered five questions! I don't believe it! You win!

: I guess I have to let you through! Stupid rules... HMPH!

That's all well and good, but what happens if you get three questions wrong? Through the magic of editing, let's find out.

We're back before the quiz show. So time to get three answers wrong.

: MMMM HMMMM HOO HA HA!!! WRONG! WRONG WRONG! SO WRONG IT HURTS! That's three WRONGS! How awful for you! MMMM HMMMM HOO HA HA!!! Time for the Pain Game!

: Best of luck, fathead! MMMM HMMM HOO HA HA!!!

This fight can be simple or it can be a bastard. Did you bring a spare POW block? If you did, congrats, you can beat this in a single turn. These Clefts are enemies from chapter 2. Four of them at once are pretty rough at this stage of the game.

Piercing Blow will only get us so far. This fight wouldn't be a problem if we had leveled up our FP even once. I still stand by not doing so.

This does give me a chance to show off the mystery box.

A short slot reel happens. We have no control over the result.

:what:

Well, Goombella just recovered 5 health. That's cool. I guess.

Another piercing blow and the enemy's down to two. Goombella is gonna be doing some tanking for us.

Meanwhile, we're gonna be using Sweet Treat to hopefully recover some FP.

:mad: Okay, that's a bust. So time to throw out the trump card.

The Mr. Softener hits every enemy on screen, and it affects them for 2 or 3 turns.

Before Mario gets a chance to act, the danger icon pops up. Take a close look at the audience. We don't want to drive this fellow off.

:toot: Free courage shell!

Anyway, these clefts should be taking 3 damage from Mario's attack, because they should have -1 defense due to the softener.

The Mario wiki lied to me. Mr. Softener will apparently only reduce an enemy's defense by 3, to a minimum of 0. I apologize for making that claim in the previous update. Usually you can trust a video game wiki to be accurate. It's still a good item, but not as broken as it could potentially be.

Anyway, this fight is over now. The last Cleft dies on the next turn, and we get 20 experience for our troubles.

: Wh-WHAT?!? It can't be! How did YOU defeat my cute little Clefts?!? AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!! Fine! Whatever! You can pass! But I despise you! HMPH!

See you all next time when we explore the Shhwonk Fortress.

Video: Bald Clefts, Bristles, The Game Show, and Clefts

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

One way to spare a pow block for the cleft fight if you want to cheese it:
The bald clefts both have an attack strength of 1 and super guards ignore armor. If your lead character uses defend they are impervious to damage so that you can just sit there attempting super guards until you kill both monsters.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I definitely missed the question about Mr Softener way back when I played this game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, no wonder people retreated here in case of trouble. There's nothing more invincible in a Mario game than a rock with spikes on it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

FeyerbrandX posted:

I hope they learned something from Stickershock, as long as it isn't 100% based on consumables to attack it can't be worse.

It doesn't look like they did given what we've seen so far. Apparently, Sticker Star was the best selling Paper Mario ever in Japan, so it seems like this is just where the series will go. I guess we'll have to wait for more info later.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
As some one who enjoyed Sticker Star, I can't be too upset that the Paper Mario series is moving away the combat system from the first two games in the series employed, when the 'Mario and Luigi' series is still around to scratch that itch. They are far from identical of course but, eh, close enough for me.

Anyway, really enjoying the LP thus far! I do like chatting to the locals and exploring alot in games, but PM:TTYD obviously has alot of text, so not only are there things you don't actually see most playthroughs. But also lots of tiny details, even on replays, you don't have chance to catch whilst also playing the game rather than just reading it, that will come up again further down the road.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Honestly the consumables for all actions thing never really caused me any grief with the exception of sticker stars bosses. It was a great way to break the mentality of never using something because you might need it later, and I never felt pressured on running out of stickers. Now the bosses on the other hand...
The game made fun of you for not knowing which inventory clogging, single use gently caress off thing to bring into the boss fight and gave no warning as to which one you'd need. It was just infuriating. Sticker Star's concept of a good puzzle boss or otherwise was kind of horrible.

On the subject of the game at hand, I think I have possibly played it one time too many given that I can hear the music in my head without clicking the links every update.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Geostomp posted:

Apparently, Sticker Star was the best selling Paper Mario ever in Japan

Where did you get this statistic?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Please don't start a Sticker Star war in here guys, take it to the general Mario thread if anything. It's only going to be ranting for no reason.

Besides, we can discuss the fun stuff instead: Like how pretty this game is for being way back on the gamecube!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I'm not saying you all should make a couple of white noise posts, but I may have an update very nearly ready to go and this page is very nearly done. I also doubt anybody wants four updates on the same page, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm not saying you all should make a couple of white noise posts, but I may have an update very nearly ready to go and this page is very nearly done. I also doubt anybody wants four updates on the same page, so...

Can I make a post about how this is the best Mario game since Super Mario RPG instead?

• Locked thread