Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kyris

Kyris watched the Relv and was at once pleased and annoyed. It was good that they took to discipline, it would save their lives on the battlefield, and he was loath to let them die to such foolishness. The death of the “rulebreakers” proved just how dangerous the lack of discipline could be. However, now the Relv worshiped their rules nearly as much as him. For all of his life, Kyris had been a minor god, getting by on the meager prayers of one or two. Now he had a following, and he was not going to go back. He would not lose his followers to anyone, especially to rules he himself created. He would stand first in their hearts once more. He would show them why was second to no person or no thing.

So, Kyris gathered up the surviving Rulebreakers, though that was no longer the best name for them. They had learned their lesson well though, paid for in blood. He could see it in them, for in their way they had learned discipline more than even the most rule-bound of the other Relv, they had seen the cost of the lack of it first-hand, in the death of their fellows. They would not forget. Now, they showed the discipline he had desired. Despite that, they were still kept apart and looked down on by the other Relv, Kyris intended to make it so no Relv would ever look down upon them again, and that no Relv would ever idolize anything as much as they idolized him.

“You have seen battle firsthand.” He spoke to them. “Felt its weight, its tenor. You have tasted defeat, the ashes are in your mouths, the weight of loss upon your hearts. You have seen your lack of discipline has cost you, but unlike some of the others you have returned alive, and for that I applaud you. Now that you know defeat, what would you do for victory? As Relv you have already pledged yourselves to follow me, but there is more. I would have you be my representatives, speaking with my voice, in my name. However, such a privilege is not freely given, it must be earned. If you wish to become my priests first you must pledge to be mine, more than even the other Relv, you must live for me alone, and your hearts must burn only for me. Secondly, you must prove you are worthy, so worthy that no other Relv will dare challenge your selection. I will go into the caves, I will show the rest of the Relv my power, what strength and war truly look like, an example to aspire to. Come with me, fight by my side, under my command, and you will be reborn in battle from outcastes to my priests! Come with me and know Victory!”

Whether they follow or not, Kyris heads into the building, a blazing sword in one hand, a brilliant shield in the other, radiant with power. If the outcastes did follow, they would soak in some of this radiance and benefit from it, becoming stronger and better warriors in the process, befitting the priests-to-be of the god of war. He would not rest until the bunker was cleared and safe for his followers. Kyris would fight with all of his power and ability, squeezing out every drop of his power, he would burn the image of his glory onto the hearts of his people in a battle that would go down in tales and legend.

Kyris is trying to get the surviving Rulebreakers to follow him back into the building where he intends to personally clear them out. War[+2] and Strength[+2] to fight like only the god of war and strength can, and to ensure the Rulebreakers who choose to come fight nearly as well. If they survive, they’ll become Kyris’ priests, sworn to him utterly and completely and bearing his blessing. Since Kyris wants this entire affair to be as massively impressive as possible, I’m spending 2 BP.

---

The Vespid

The Storm was coming, they could feel it in the air, the vibrations of mana humming through their antennae. The Vespid worked on regardless, the Exemplars blessed by their god overseeing them, leading them. As they dug into the safety of the ground the Vespid put their fears of the Storm behind them. In the early days they had suffered greatly at the Storm’s coming, the terrible winds rending gossamer wings, the mana-strikes tearing through carapace and nest wall alike. Even worse, chittered rumors that occasionally one of the nest would survive exposure, but become something terrible and monstrous.

That was changing now, now they had Zkt to guide and protect them, and his Exemplars ensured that the people of the nest dug hard and well, for the earth brought safety, just as it had brought safety from the grubby paws of man, now it brought safety from the Storm. The Vespid offered up thanks to their god, who would protect them from the ravages of the Storm.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Ozma

The Storm was coming, and there would be deaths; even she could not prevent that. But there was also hope. Her work had gone well and the two tribes were mending the rift between them. It was a small step, but a crucial one. Others that saw them would know such a thing was possible even in this dying world. Fate willing they would also lay down their swords and join them.

Beyond the Storm, there was only one other thing that troubled Ozma. The great beacon...what was it? Did it herald good tidings, or ill? Whatever the truth might be, it set an unease in her heart. A thing of such magnitude meant someone with great Power, and if they were a conqueror come to finish off what the cataclysm had started...

"Maps, aye. I have no objection, but Vanguard commands this party. He must be consulted and his dictate on the matter is law." She might be called Saint and heralded as a light of hope, but she had her place. They must all cooperate if they were to survive, and Vanguard would not grow any warmer towards her should she begin issuing edicts and orders beyond what the Chieftain had permitted her. Power she might possess, but she was not willing to test how well she could survive that giant's fangs in her throat.

"Regardless of his decision, we must begin preparations to return home ourselves before travel becomes too perilous. The chieftain must learn what has transpired, and that he has allies now." Grunts and nods issued forth at her words. A taciturn people for certain, the Shar. Not inclined to vocalize more than necessary. "He will hopefully be pleased to learn of the marriage contracts. A pity to lose capable hunters, but strengthening bonds and bringing forth new pups in the coming years should mollify him." She certainly hoped so.

As they traveled, Ozma did her best to be especially courteous and helpful towards Vanguard, out of gratitude for permitting her to speak with the Kraken. He could have told her to stuff it and gone raiding if he'd wished, and there would have been little she could have done to stop him. He was obviously unhappy that he didn't, but the chieftain had spoken, and even he was not willing to gainsay the boss. That didn't mean he wouldn't make his displeasure known to the most obvious target for his ire.

Ozma will aid in getting things prepped for a fast, hard march home. Regardless of Vanguard's opinion on anything, as they go she will use Healing +2 and Lightning +2 to imbue boulders and other such landmarks they pass with long-term protective magics. They will send out bolts of electricity to intercept and disintegrate flying debris, lightning from the sky, and other more esoteric threats that the Storm may bring to bear. They will be keyed to ignore anything touching the ground or living, and that keying is given a fairly respectable margin of error on the side of not zapping things. Better to have them fail-safe then fail-deadly. Ideally, this will make trade during the Storm-time safer along this route. Additionally, living things that spend time near them will find their strength buffered and wounds healing quicker. Not places one could wait out the entirety of the Storm, no, but will be a safer haven than open ground.
She will advise the Kraken of her intentions, and the imbued places will be obvious from the (benign) arcs of electricity that dance across them. If nothing else, they can act as beacons to help orient anyone who becomes lost.

Vanguard is not happy with this upstart human or any of the things she espouses, and while he cannot kill her he can make her life miserable in lots of ways. She will take his abuse on the chin, though it may keep her from being able to focus fully on the delicate task of enchanting. Martyr -2.

---

The Relv

Their God demanded discipline and obedience. The Storm changed nothing about that. Days were spent in necessary work, and they shuttered their ears against the maelstrom. There were rules about how to act and how to react to anything it threw at them. So long as they obeyed, what did they need fear? Nothing but disobedience, that was what. So when the wild magics rage, the weak and vulnerable stayed safely bukered as they best they could. Those above them repaired what was damaged and ensured supplies were distributed properly. And those above them took the calculated and needed risks to acquire what was not readily available and keeping watch for what horrors might come with the storms. A dangerous duty to be sure, but Kyris had put steel into their spines. They would weather all that came at them and maintain, 'til death take them.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Z'kt! - Arid Canyon

Z'kt! was pleasantly surprised by the sudden and inexplicable recovery of his misshapen warriors. Fortuitous, indeed, only just ahead of the storm. As the winds began to blow and the sky began to darken and bleed noxious colors, Z'kt! dragged the heavy portalstone into place, sealing the tunnel off from the crackling energy of the Storm, a testament to the hubris of Man. Well-stocked and well-prepared, The Vespid, led by Z'kt!, hunkered down to wait out the howling chaos.

Deep within the earth, Z'kt! dug his claws into the dirt, assisting his brethren in the task of further fortifying their home. Z'kt!, however, dug with secret purposes. Eventually it bore fruit; a grub buried deep in the soil. The larval form of some desert insect seeking shelter from the elements. Z'kt! had better uses for such a one.

It is time to kick off my Three-Stage Plan.
Stage 1: Z'kt! is using Bug [+2] to create a utilitarian Beast-Of-Burden; a large, wasp-like creature capable of great endurance and carrying heavy loads in flight. Large enough to ride.

It will be called a Vektak, and it will remain in a larval stage until Z'kt! is finished. Meanwhile, the Vespid continue their fortification and improvement using Industrious [+2], where possible.

---

The Supplicants of Cin-sae

Left to their own devices, absent the guiding hand of their Beloved God during these trying times, the Supplicants of Cin-sae while away the empty hours of a Storm in harmonious contemplation of the futility of life. Lending their voices to the howling winds of the storm, the Supplicants circle themselves whereever they can, and chant ancient hymns extolling the solemn beauty of death in, appropriately, a dead language, lost to the sands of time. Absolutely nothing is accomplished during these times of worship, and to die of thirst or hunger during the chant is considered prestigious indeed.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 20, 2016

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
~M - Hamlet Ruins

"I-" ~M flinches as a drunken dispute between several adorable talking animals degrades to blows when several other with wooden clubs appear. "I don't think-" one of the little hats some of them wear flies by along with a dislocated tooth. "ENOUGH. Stop this immediately!" M hated yelling, it was the crudest of all methods to make people pay attention to you, below even public intoxication and/or nudity. "I have another project to focus your energies on. We need to improve the wall in case the Storm blows into the dale instead of just over it. Meet me by the edge of the village."

M wasn't an engineer, but she had climbed over many walls in her day, and understood you keep the valuable parts on the inside. "Ali, where are yo-? ah, good. I want you to try this. Tell me a story about a fortress, sweetie, I'll start. Tall and strong, it towered above the surrounding countryside-GO!" M looks around at the assorted carnies and critters. "Well don't just stand there, help her out!"

Conscripting the guard and the shadows to help build a an actual storm-resistant wall around the place. [Storytelling+2] and [Phantasmagoria+2]

---

Story from follower coming soon.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 19, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Grand Moff Slam Hardacre - Camp Bigfoot, Überwald Forest

"Alright alright! Batten down the hatches, I want extra vines binding the camp to this tree and extra stakes hammered into the ground" Camp Bigfoot was a whirl of activity, a storm was coming and it was looking testy. Extra binding ropes and nails were made for the incoming torrent but would it be enough? He had just to be on the safe side dug out an emergency shelter amongst the roots of the tree itself, worst come to worst.

And he sure as hell hoped it wouldn't come to the worst

---

[+2] Nature, [+2] Artifice Batten down the hatches and shore up the roof and walls and pray to the small gods that this creaking pile holds against the coming storm, that's all we can do right now.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

BP: 0 Location: Temple of Lights Innumerable

"Get everyone to the temple," Claire murmurs to one of her Lightbringers, examining the scene, the corpse of the woman the demon had slain. One of her followers. She'd been counting on Claire to protect her, and... She pulls the highest ranking Lightbringer aside, instructing her to teach the farmers and her other assorted refugee followers what they could of prayers and theology. Meanwhile, she's got work to do.

Focusing on the tear in reality the Demon left behind, Claire's not going to let a little thing like a Manastorm get in her way - besides, she'd already accounted for that. That's what'd caused this to begin with, so it was certainly her responsibility to stop it from happening again. Uttering words both ancient and powerful as she carefully analyzes and divines the location, this demon is going to be made to pay for what it's done. Step one in that justice was figuring out who, what, and where it was, but Claire's up for the task. Demons are creatures of darkness and warped mana - it's almost as if Claire's opposed to both those things!

Using Light and Magic for a total of [+4] to look into the Demon that attacked her follower - Truename, current form, how to oppose it, etc, Claire's pissed and determined to try and make sure the Demon doesn't get the chance to hurt any of her other followers.

Meanwhile, her Lightbringers are going to use Clerics [+2] to evangelize to her refugee followers to try and stave off any religious schisms forming here. They're pretty used to preaching to people, hopefully it's a piece of cake.

------

Story to come, but it's featuring Mercury's followers.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 20, 2016

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Just posting to let everyone know this game isn't dead. I've been both insanely busy and in a weird mood recently and actually stopped all activity on the Game Room subforum all together for a good bit. That is mostly over and I should get a update out tomorrow. Thank you for staying with me.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Tarvan the Free

His first thought was to conceive of a plan to draw the slime creatures into one of the rooms and to burn away their bodies with electricity. He was worried about destroying them, but the slime creatures had proven resilient and if he was careful and he controlled his power then he would be able to use the electrical discharges to shepherd the creatures and competing scavengers. Once the Canix had gotten the items that they needed they could retreat and regroup, planning for the next steps. Tarvan was worried, but he could not see alternative paths before him. He knew he would have to use his power at some point and that it would be more deadly than not. The world was too hostile otherwise. But it still made him anxious and he meditated on his crimes for a full night before gathering his chosen Canix the next day. The plan was simple. Travel to the caches of supplies that they knew of, then Tarvan would use his power to create controlled discharges. The electrical strikes would be carefully aimed to avoid as much harm as possible and to force the slime creatures, and other scavengers, away from the Canix party. The Canix would quickly enter the cache, take what they needed and other useful supplies, and then they would retreat under Tarvan's protection.

Hopefully it would not add further sins to those he already bore.

Tarvan will use his knowledge of Building [+2] to guide the Canix to the caches of supplies they need. That same knowledge and his power over Storms [+2] will then be used to carefully control electrical discharges to push back hostile forces and create a safe passage for the Canix to gather the supplies. In a pinch, if he has to, Tarvan will harm or kill to protect the Canix. His Murderer's Guilt [-2] will weigh on him and might cause him to choke at a dangerous and important moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
I have half the update written up. I'll try to work on the other half tomorrow but this week is stupid busy. It will be out by Sunday, but I'll try to get ti done over the weekend. After this week my schedule should stabilize.

• Locked thread