Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you think real life Marina Oswald watched this show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Guy Mann posted:

Apparently his son Joe Hill helped him rewrite the ending, but that was the Sadie stuff and not the actual time travel bits. Here's the original book ending.
Considering that Joe helped him come up with the :rolleyes: clever idea :rolleyes: of tying 9/11 into The Dark Tower plot, I'm so pleasantly surprised by this. The book ending to 11.23 was sappy and absolutely wonderful. Just like in the show, but better simply by virtue of having invested 800 pages with these two.

Guy Mann posted:

I thought the book ending was a nice capstone on the idea of casual time travel. You can sell the same few pounds of ground beef endlessly and you can save a life or two but you can't significantly change the past because doing so causes the very fabric of reality to unravel. What happened happened and you need to accept it and make the best of it instead of endlessly fixating on what could have been.
There's a neat line in Insomnia, where some folks have been asked to save someone's life but they want to know why. Of all the lives, why this one? And I always loved the answer, and we see parallels to it in 11.22.63. Of course the show's ending is a more realistic ending as opposed to the novel's "poo poo is literally tearing apart the fabric of the universe" ending, but the idea is the same:

quote:

Every now and again a man or woman comes along whose life will affect not just those about him or her, or even all those who live in the Short-Time world, but those on many levels above and below the Short-Time world. These people are the Great Ones, and their lives always serve the Purpose. If they are taken too soon, everything changes. The scales cease to balance. Can you imagine, for instance, how different the world might be today if Hitler had drowned in the bathtub as a child? You may believe the world would be better for that, but I can tell you that the world would not exist at all if it had happened. Suppose Winston Churchill had died of food poisoning before he ever became Prime Minister? Suppose Augustus Caesar had been born dead, strangled on his own umbilical cord? Yet the person we want you to save is of far greater importance than any of these.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lycus posted:

In addition to Oswald owning the gun, Jake told the guy at the door that Oswald was gonna shoot the president and to get the police, and Sadie was with him.

And he did angrily hand-delivered a letter to the FBI that practically screamed "I am a violent revolutionary and am going to kill the president" and Jake even (rightfully) called them out on ignoring it.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I went through and took note of the name of the record playing in each episode:

01. JUST LIKE A CANDLE
02. WAIT FOR THE BUNNY
03. Wool and Water
04. KING of HEARTS
05. POOL of TEARS
06. SHAKING
07. SHAKING
08. WHICH DREAMED IT

Not sure if it means anything, but its kind of a neat detail they included.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I noticed in the credits that JJ Abrams actually composed the title theme.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Comrade Fakename posted:

I noticed in the credits that JJ Abrams actually composed the title theme.

Both the music and the visuals of the title sequence are great.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

LinkesAuge posted:

Lesson learned: Don't do anything to make people's life better, they will be better off without it.
Yeah, that seemed to be the message. Seems like a pretty terrible message, but there it is.

Vanderdeath posted:

Yeah, the glossing over of the alternate future was frustrating. I wanted to know how poo poo went hinky with JFK alive but they barely scratched the surface. It cheapened the whole conceit of the show, in my opinion.
Yep. It comes back to the issue of Jake not resetting at all ever. Why bring that up at the start only to do basically nothing with it?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

major spoilers I guess the new time hole monitoring guy tells Jake that the rabbit hole doesn't truly fully reset the timelines and that the major changes to the timeline caused by his saving of JFK are somehow fundamentally destroying reality, when he gets back to the present it's not just a war torn world he encounters there's actual apocalyptic phenomena all over the place. In the book there's already a major earthquake that kills 7,000 people in california a couple of days after Jake saves JFK and reality basically starts going off the rails at that point so the new past Jake discovers when he returns is less of an alternative history and more of the world kinda falling apart rather rapidly.
That sounds even dumber than the TV version.

Vorgen posted:

many worlds theory of time travel
Oh, so not time travel, just pointless time-wasting. Glad I didn't read the book.

Fast Luck posted:

The "time loop" thing for the yellow card man never ended up making sense. I mean, because that guy was caught in a time loop trying to save his kid, he just faded in and out of reality around Jake and hosed with Jake to teach him a lesson? And why does Sadie die "every time" according to him if Jake actually was able to save the janitor and save Kennedy, and Sadie doesn't even die period in the normal timeline? And how is it a "loop" if Jake can just go back to the present and quit trying at any time? Just didn't make sense.
Yep, that guy was a wizard. Anything that didn't make sense was because of magic. This show was bad.

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not sure how you could have taken him out completely, because he's the reason Jake decides he can't ever be with Sadie. You'd really have to re-write the ending completely to show Jake going through multiple cycles where he gradually figures it out on is own.
Which would have been a much better show!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The show's portrayal of "the obdurate past" didn't live up to its initial car-into-a-phone-booth, which was extremely sinister.
Yeah, time "pushing back" was really not in evidence at all through most of the plot.

Guy Mann posted:

An easy way to do it is to have Sadie be all :wtc: when a man she's never met before starts creeping on her and apparently knows everything about her and have Jake realize on his own that he can't ever have a true relationship with her again because the balance of power is so skewed.
Yeah, when he came back to the past and started chasing her I literally said "Oh, so he hasn't learned anything then." You can't go running down the street in soaking wet clothes in the middle of a bright sunny day yelling at some woman who doesn't know you, that is what a crazy person would do.

grapecritic posted:

How did the secret service know that James Franco saved them? Did I miss something?
That whole thing made no sense. How the gently caress did the Kennedys get an accurate report of what had happened when the police and FBI were still trying to figure it out?

Maybe there's some context in the book that makes this ending seem somehow satisfying, but based solely on its own merits it's garbage. This show was garbage. And that ending? Rather than finding out how this experience has affected our protagonist, we get to see that Sadie lived a life? Yeah, so? Who gives a poo poo? We knew she was a person who lived a life without Jake in the original timeline anyway, now it's just gone back to how it was before. Nothing loving happened. And like I said earlier, Jake learned nothing, and he hasn't changed in any noticeable way, he's just gone back to his old life as though none of it happened. What was the loving point?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, that seemed to be the message. Seems like a pretty terrible message, but there it is.

Yep. It comes back to the issue of Jake not resetting at all ever. Why bring that up at the start only to do basically nothing with it?

That sounds even dumber than the TV version.

Oh, so not time travel, just pointless time-wasting. Glad I didn't read the book.

Yep, that guy was a wizard. Anything that didn't make sense was because of magic. This show was bad.

Which would have been a much better show!

Yeah, time "pushing back" was really not in evidence at all through most of the plot.

Yeah, when he came back to the past and started chasing her I literally said "Oh, so he hasn't learned anything then." You can't go running down the street in soaking wet clothes in the middle of a bright sunny day yelling at some woman who doesn't know you, that is what a crazy person would do.

That whole thing made no sense. How the gently caress did the Kennedys get an accurate report of what had happened when the police and FBI were still trying to figure it out?

Maybe there's some context in the book that makes this ending seem somehow satisfying, but based solely on its own merits it's garbage. This show was garbage. And that ending? Rather than finding out how this experience has affected our protagonist, we get to see that Sadie lived a life? Yeah, so? Who gives a poo poo? We knew she was a person who lived a life without Jake in the original timeline anyway, now it's just gone back to how it was before. Nothing loving happened. And like I said earlier, Jake learned nothing, and he hasn't changed in any noticeable way, he's just gone back to his old life as though none of it happened. What was the loving point?

The book handles the post-assassination attempt better because Jake had already had multiple contacts with the Secret Service leading up to it. They were watching Oswald as well as Jake, but they were largely incompetent and easily-bluffed by Jake whenever they confronted him. Post-assassination attempt the Secret Service just wanted him to go away and were willing to get him quietly out of town to meet his "contacts from your home country for extraction that are waiting for you" (they thought he was a Soviet spy, of all things) if he wouldn't expose their incompetence in interviews.

Also he really hammers on the story that he and Sadie were the reason JFK was alive, and how they need to show more respect for Sadie sacrificing herself to stop Oswald. The audiobook narrator does a really good job telling the story that I don't know would necessarily read the same way if you just read the book.

In the book, when Jake dances with Old-Sadie, there are hints in her conversation with him that she feels like she knows him from somewhere and the memories may be coming in even though they technically happened to a different Sadie. The book ends mid-dance, so we never really find out what happens to them.

Never mind that it would be a terrible thing to actually have happen to someone, because they might go insane, but that's Stephen King for you. Seems like the end of every book has to have some element of something that has some kind of existential horror to it.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

W-what? So your interpretation of the ending of the book was existential dread as Sadie begins to be flooded with memories that happened to a different timeline version of herself? And that after the dance, she went through her life haunted by this interaction? Okay, I guess. You're entitled to your opinion.

For me it seemed pretty cut-and-dry. He was willing to change everything just to be with Sadie, and only after accepting that the consequences for the entire world would be far too dire he allows things to play out naturally and return to the original timeline. He can't help himself wondering how her life turned out, so he tracks her down to her award acceptance ceremony, and then can't help himself approaching her and asking for a dance. During the dance, he lets slip how much he knows about her, and she's shocked and taken aback since she's never met him. He mysteriously ends it with, "I knew you in a different life, honey" and internally wonders if she ever found someone to love, someone to "get rid of that broom", someone who made her happy. It's beautiful and somber and quite fitting for the end of the book, and it kind of pulls the rug out from under you when you understand that the time travel and assassination and all that jazz was a cover so King could trick you into reading this simple yet powerful love story between two teachers. 11/22/63 is a love story masquerading as a time travel thriller and I love it for that.

The show appears to have been made, at first glance, by people who actually read the book. But maybe they were also doing laundry or had the TV on in the background because they appear to have missed the point of the entire thing. They paid attention at the beginning and at the end, but they appear to have thought the middle would be better served not exploring the consequences and opportunities in resetting the timeline, or in exploring the Yellow Card Man and his implications for this world, but to invent a new character who fucks Oswald's wife.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wade Wilson posted:

Never mind that it would be a terrible thing to actually have happen to someone, because they might go insane, but that's Stephen King for you. Seems like the end of every book has to have some element of something that has some kind of existential horror to it.

I mean, that's literally what happens to the card men in the book, but I never got an impression Sadie had anything more than some deja vu. Not full-blown conflicting memories or anything.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Wade Wilson posted:

Also he really hammers on the story that he and Sadie were the reason JFK was alive, and how they need to show more respect for Sadie sacrificing herself to stop Oswald. The audiobook narrator does a really good job telling the story that I don't know would necessarily read the same way if you just read the book.

Can't be said enough, the audiobook is very good.

Kind of disappointed in the last few episodes and Jake's reveal that's he's from the future. In the book, Sadie ultimately came to the conclusion herself instead (albeit with prodding) which was pretty epic.

The actor who portrayed Oswald was really good.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I liked the part where Jake fucks with the FBI guy with Future Knowledge.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Double posting to ask if the book brings up what happens if someone goes through the Rabbit Hole after while someone else is in there.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Double posting to ask if the book brings up what happens if someone goes through the Rabbit Hole after while someone else is in there.

Nope. Such paradoxes are not addressed. Just like when he asks what would happen if he went back and killed his own grandfather. "Well why the gently caress would you want to do that?!"

That is the end of it.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

wide stance posted:

The actor who portrayed Oswald was really good.

Yeah, I really liked him too. Reminded me of Cassie Affleck acting the poo poo out of Robert Ford in the Jesse James movie with Brad Pitt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Nope. Such paradoxes are not addressed. Just like when he asks what would happen if he went back and killed his own grandfather. "Well why the gently caress would you want to do that?!"

That is the end of it.
This line from the opening episode as well as the bit where Jake gets the impression to go kill a person when Al hands him a knife and then calls him out on it, were loving hilarious.

• Locked thread