Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Blackchamber posted:

So do you guys think Jake gets laid after the award ceremony or not?

For real, thank you for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
I'm kinda surprised Jake didn't check up on Bill too. I mean, he lived with him for three years.

Poor Bill. Poor stupid, stupid Bill.

Really good finale. Made up a lot for some of the wonky pacing earlier and ended on a high note.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Fast Luck posted:

The "time loop" thing for the yellow card man never ended up making sense. I mean, because that guy was caught in a time loop trying to save his kid, he just faded in and out of reality around Jake and hosed with Jake to teach him a lesson? And why does Sadie die "every time" according to him if Jake actually was able to save the janitor and save Kennedy, and Sadie doesn't even die period in the normal timeline? And how is it a "loop" if Jake can just go back to the present and quit trying at any time? Just didn't make sense. Even in the book I was kind of rooting for Jake to just go back to the past and chill there with Sadie forever, but here the reasoning for not doing that was weaker because of the weird yellow card man stuff. Sadie was so sweet and beautiful :3:

I think he should have at least tried to see if it would be possible to have Sadie go forward with him to the present. Would the present push back against someone from the past?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sadie going to the future would have to gently caress something up. The whole concept of how that time travel works would just lead to endless paradoxes. The yellow card guy was poorly done. He keeps trying to redo his thing. When is he from? What time period is he trying to fix? For 8 hours of content, it glossed over way too much. Maybe I'm just being a dumb nerd, but I wanted way more info than they gave here. I'd willingly give up lots of time in the middle episodes for more info on what was going on with the time travel and what the consequences were.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I can understand them excising all the universe falling apart and reality growing thin a la The Dark Tower stuff for the sake of simplicity but they really should have just excised the Yellow Card Man in the process instead of having a neutered version of him that doesn't really contribute anything to the story.

It's funny, most of the time people clamor for an adaptation to be a miniseries instead of a movie but I feel like this would have worked better if the first two eps and the finale were made into a movie instead of a series where 5/8ths of it was filler.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Like everybody else, I thought the first and last episode was good, but the middle had horrible pacing problems.

4/10

At least the show didn't use the word "obdurate".

Starla
May 9, 2005

I hit men during sex....... and not during sex.

Blackchamber posted:

So do you guys think Jake gets laid after the award ceremony or not?

Reading this was the best best part of the finale.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I liked the nod to King's other works with REDRUM on the stairwell wall

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The beginning of the episode where the past tries to absolutely annihilate Jake and Sadie was very satisfying and lived up to my book expectations despite them escaping the onslaught without any significant injuries.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

I can understand them excising all the universe falling apart and reality growing thin a la The Dark Tower stuff for the sake of simplicity but they really should have just excised the Yellow Card Man in the process instead of having a neutered version of him that doesn't really contribute anything to the story.

It's funny, most of the time people clamor for an adaptation to be a miniseries instead of a movie but I feel like this would have worked better if the first two eps and the finale were made into a movie instead of a series where 5/8ths of it was filler.

I'm not sure how you could have taken him out completely, because he's the reason Jake decides he can't ever be with Sadie. You'd really have to re-write the ending completely to show Jake going through multiple cycles where he gradually figures it out on is own.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Great ending, with the rest of the show was as well made as that was.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Retardog posted:

The car that smashed into the bus reminded me of Christine, not sure if it was the same exact model though

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Question for Stephen King fans who've read the book. Are there any overt references in it to low-men(in yellow coats) or the Crimson King?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

No, they are markedly absent.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
You have to make a few logical leaps to link it up with the Dark Tower and assume that the post-Kennedy-surviving Earth falling apart is due to a Thinny or the collapse of the Beams.

The only overt reference that I can remember is to IT, because Jake shows up in Derry and talks with Richie and Beverly (from memory, it might have been others)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Really 90% of the connections between King's books require some imagination and logical leaps. There's only a small handful that overtly state the connections, like Insomnia and Black House where the Crimson King is the primary antagonist. Or Hearts in Atlantis. That may be all of them actually.

For the most part its fans noticing similarities and assuming(probably correctly but who knows) King purposely wrote them in as connections to The Dark Tower. Like how IT bears a strong similarity to the thing that almost kills Roland by making him laugh too hard. Or how people assume that the monsters from The Mist come from the darkness between worlds described in The Dark Tower. Fun to think about but not definitive, and its probably better that way.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'll echo the above: great beginning, great ending, verrrrrry uneven middle. The show's portrayal of "the obdurate past" didn't live up to its initial car-into-a-phone-booth, which was extremely sinister. But, hey, there were some good moments. You sorta wish he'd at least have told Sadie that her husband was a crazy creepster. (Or that The Yellow Card Man was played by Tom Waits.)

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

That ending. God drat. Bawled like crazy during the Classroom/Henry scene and continued to weep during the Sadie/Dance scene. I didn't think the ending would live up to the book, but it got me just as bad.

Beginning/Ending was just perfect. Great moments in-between as well although it was inconsistent at times. Wonderful adaption overall.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not sure how you could have taken him out completely, because he's the reason Jake decides he can't ever be with Sadie. You'd really have to re-write the ending completely to show Jake going through multiple cycles where he gradually figures it out on is own.

An easy way to do it is to have Sadie be all :wtc: when a man she's never met before starts creeping on her and apparently knows everything about her and have Jake realize on his own that he can't ever have a true relationship with her again because the balance of power is so skewed.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Excellent start, so-so middle, good ending. I'm satisfied.

Wish they could've done a montage instead of yellow card guy playing Tell Don't Show.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."

Retardog posted:

There was also "CAPTAIN TR" (tripps, i would assume. I didnt double check) spray painted in very large letters on the side of a building in the changed 2016.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
The most conspicuously absent thing in this whole adaptation was "Life turns on a dime."

Loved the way that was used in the book. But that may just be enhanced by the incredible narration.

Agree with everyone here. Bookends were excellent. Middle was very humdrum and damned if I didn't almost lose it in the final scenes with the Janitor and Sadie.

Firing up the audiobook again first thing in the morning. I've been saving it as a special treat. Seriously, if you haven't read this book DO IT. I rarely have emotional connections to books but this one has stayed with me for years.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

There was also "CAPTAIN TR" (tripps, i would assume. I didnt double check) spray painted in very large letters on the side of a building in the changed 2016.

I noticed it and immediately thought they were going to change the future from being destroyed by nuclear war to the flu. I'm really glad they left out the stuff about earthquakes and reality crumbling as it got pretty ridiculous in the book.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

If you pause it right when he starts to walk away from the foundation (of the diner?) you can see the other half of the writing and it definitely says "CAPTAIN TRIPPS":

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/112263-bridget-carpenter-and-stephen-king-on-183813045.html

Some thoughts on the major differences between the series and the book.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Well goddamn that dance. :gbsmith:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Spoilers for the book version of 11.22.63 and a ton of other Stephen King books ahead, maybe. Wall of text too. Don't bitch at me.

As someone who's read a lot of Stephen King books, when I got into this book I got really excited. In most of his books, its the bad guys that know all about the metaphysical realities of existence, and the good guys are just barely getting by with gut instinct, vague inspiration, and the inadequate power of love. It's as if the very gods of the universe are dead or dying and the entire system is breaking down. (They actually are, and it actually is)

In fact, in one of the Dark Tower books, Susannah sees a vision of an old man trapped in what could be a "room of the Tower" listening to a radio that keeps taunting him with a litany of all the good people who are dead now. One of those names is John F. Kennedy. The old man may or may not be God, and and room may or may not be at the top of the Dark Tower that binds all of existence together.

So it was not only with the hopes of a 21st century American, but also with the hopes of a Stephen King book reader, that I got excited for the plot of this book. "Finally," I thought, "FINALLY the good guys have a metaphysical leg up on the baddies this time. An infinite-tries time portal easily accessible within a nice, normal diner in New England? No evil guardian house to deal with, no jizz-guzzling demons to fight, no Tak lurking nearby, no dimension-hopping Low Men guarding it. FINALLY our side has a free pass to make things better and save John loving Kennedy!"

So it was with a huge disappointment and very mixed feelings that I confronted the messed up alt-history present after he actually succeeds in his quest. The book version of this goes into much more detail. There's earthquakes and tsunamis, yeah. Strange weather too. But there's also ripping sounds that people hear, great tearings that sound like the fabric of reality is breaking down that somehow reminded me of the Langoliers. Then I realized that the reason we didn't see any opposition to Jake Epping's grand quest is because the bad guys approve of it. The Crimson King doesn't care to oppose Jake's windmill tilt because it will result in a nightmare reality breaking apart at the seams and drive one of the Card-Hatted Men insane (and who knows how many of them are left?). The evil monsters from the Todash Darkness can only profit from Jake making more messed up alternate realities, and in the end I'm surprised that no Low Men show up to encourage him to make more trips.

I guess your experience with this novel can only be enhanced by reading more stephen king first, and so I encourage you to do that. I really like how he doesn't really explain what is going on, but what is going on behind the scenes can be inferred so well after absorbing a lot of his work.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 6, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I thought the book ending was a nice capstone on the idea of casual time travel. You can sell the same few pounds of ground beef endlessly and you can save a life or two but you can't significantly change the past because doing so causes the very fabric of reality to unravel. What happened happened and you need to accept it and make the best of it instead of endlessly fixating on what could have been.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Guy Mann posted:

I thought the book ending was a nice capstone on the idea of casual time travel. You can sell the same few pounds of ground beef endlessly and you can save a life or two but you can't significantly change the past because doing so causes the very fabric of reality to unravel. What happened happened and you need to accept it and make the best of it instead of endlessly fixating on what could have been.

Yeah that's how I took it and I found it to be a satisfactory conclusion, it also felt like King implying that changing the past is a good motivation for a narrative but an actual exploration of 'alternative history' is just a form of wankery. Al goes on about how the world would be better with JFK kicking around for a few more years but ultimately King goes "how the gently caress would we know? would it actually be satisfying if I started playing an intricate game of 'what if' starting with JFK's assassination?". It really felt like a good ending to the story which is something I usually don't expect from King, I expect him to write an amazingly captivating narrative that fizzles out towards the end, this time I was hooked 'till the last page and felt like he really nailed it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It really felt like a good ending to the story which is something I usually don't expect from King, I expect him to write an amazingly captivating narrative that fizzles out towards the end, this time I was hooked 'till the last page and felt like he really nailed it.

Apparently his son Joe Hill helped him rewrite the ending, but that was the Sadie stuff and not the actual time travel bits. Here's the original book ending.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

Apparently his son Joe Hill helped him rewrite the ending, but that was the Sadie stuff and not the actual time travel bits. Here's the original book ending.

I would have been fine with either. The miniseries really did nail the ending, though it did appear that Sadie didn't have a scar. Whatever, it was such a leap up from the mid-series doldrums that I didn't care. Better to end on a high note rather than slump, since now I'll remember the series more fondly overall.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why would she have a scar? She died in the timeline in which she got a scar.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

What did everyone think of Lucy Fry? I've been watching the show on Stan (Australian streaming service), and one of the things they've been publicising like crazy is their exclusive Wolf Creek miniseries... starring Lucy Fry.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BreakAtmo posted:

What did everyone think of Lucy Fry? I've been watching the show on Stan (Australian streaming service), and one of the things they've been publicising like crazy is their exclusive Wolf Creek miniseries... starring Lucy Fry.

She was pretty solid in the scenes she did have, but overall she didn't get a lot of screentime.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Cojawfee posted:

Why would she have a scar? She died in the timeline in which she got a scar.

In the book her husband is still an ashhole stalker who shows up at Jodie and cuts her face before Deke shows up and her husband slices his own throat open. Though I guess without the added exposition the book has (Jake reads newspaper articles from the vicinity of Jodie from that time period and learns that the incident went down in a rather similar manner even without his involvement) it would actually be more confusing if she still had the scar.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

She was pretty solid in the scenes she did have, but overall she didn't get a lot of screentime.

True. Shame she never got any kind of proper 'final scene' like Oswald's mother did.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
How did the secret service know that James Franco saved them? Did I miss something?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

grapecritic posted:

How did the secret service know that James Franco saved them? Did I miss something?

They know he was found with a dead Oswald and it was probably pretty simple to link the gun to Oswald since he owned it, not Jake. They know Oswald got a shot off, so its pretty safe to assume Jake intervened at the last second, saving Kennedy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
In addition to Oswald owning the gun, Jake told the guy at the door that Oswald was gonna shoot the president and to get the police, and Sadie was with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

grapecritic posted:

How did the secret service know that James Franco saved them?
In addition to everything else, the FBI CIA probably gave the WH a bunch of information ending with 'There's a guy in custody that either saved you or helped shoot at you'

• Locked thread